Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Kith posted:

There are a lot of good elements to it, but it's very clearly not finished.

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. The bones are great and very fun to play but there's still a lot of work to be done. Even besides the obvious stuff there's some weirdness with pathfinding that I would like to see worked on. Mostly medium-large melee units jostling around or some jank with the trees that smaller units can path through but bigger ones can't. I haven't found a better way to articulate it yet

I don't know about it an esport yet. Some parts of it are I think the maps being tiny and people not really surviving to late game often enough to stabilize a meta in addition to all the other stuff. Like did yall know tankivac is in this game? It never gets used though because no one lives that long yet even with how strong defenders advantage is. I really think that if they want big clumpy armies though this game needs more readily available but less instantly lethal aoe for the late game to reward mechanics and make for good viewing. My internal vibe is stuff like psi storm as a DOT that you can walk out of is cool but the disruptor is not. Not sure where the imps fall under this yet but they are also bugged at the moment and will all ignite if you hold the key down provided you had enough therium to make at least one. There's also a bunch of stuff that top end of the ladder is figuring out like how busted having a health camp next to the low ground third is.

Anyways game's fun and they have already made insane progress since I got my hands on it in alpha late last year. I guess now that the NDA is lifted and things are being shown to the public I can actually talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ragnarokette posted:

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. The bones are great and very fun to play but there's still a lot of work to be done. Even besides the obvious stuff there's some weirdness with pathfinding that I would like to see worked on. Mostly medium-large melee units jostling around or some jank with the trees that smaller units can path through but bigger ones can't. I haven't found a better way to articulate it yet

I don't know about it an esport yet. Some parts of it are I think the maps being tiny and people not really surviving to late game often enough to stabilize a meta in addition to all the other stuff. Like did yall know tankivac is in this game? It never gets used though because no one lives that long yet even with how strong defenders advantage is. I really think that if they want big clumpy armies though this game needs more readily available but less instantly lethal aoe for the late game to reward mechanics and make for good viewing. My internal vibe is stuff like psi storm as a DOT that you can walk out of is cool but the disruptor is not. Not sure where the imps fall under this yet but they are also bugged at the moment and will all ignite if you hold the key down provided you had enough therium to make at least one. There's also a bunch of stuff that top end of the ladder is figuring out like how busted having a health camp next to the low ground third is.

Anyways game's fun and they have already made insane progress since I got my hands on it in alpha late last year. I guess now that the NDA is lifted and things are being shown to the public I can actually talk about it.

Has the game improved a significant amount on the first point you made, or unit path taking in general?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ragnarokette posted:

... or some jank with the trees that smaller units can path through but bigger ones can't.

This is actually intended, it's supposed to be so smaller units can flee pursuers. It almost never gets used because said smaller units tend to be ridiculously fast and don't need the help, so all it really accomplishes is making the pathing choke occasionally.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mikojan posted:

Has the game improved a significant amount on the first point you made, or unit path taking in general?

Yes, if you guys saw the build previous to this one let alone the alpha your faces would melt off like the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc. Customizable hotkeys were hacked together last minute for the open beta because it was the #1 requested feature each time lol. It mostly comes down to them being a small team trying to juggle priorities. Stuff like the observer interface and aforementioned hotkeys were slapped together just to get something out there. Units also get reworked very frequently. For instance both of the dog upgrades used to just be baseline on them. The meta in early alpha was turret rush and/or whoever was better at mass dogs. The infernal production was also not implemented yet so they worked the exact same as Vanguard. Vanguard's science vessel thing that I forget the name of also had a spell that was basically dark swarm from brood war that made VG armies, no joke, impossible to kill.

Basically every time they come back with a new build though there's a ton of progress in basically every area and a new feature done. Also the units are generally improving in interesting interactions in my opinion as a former small time caster. It's not there yet like I said, a lot of work remains. I'm dead sure we will get our third(?) or forth infest rework next build. Also a lot of stuff is still a placeholder even if it's not obvious, Infernal's mining comes to mind.

Kith posted:

This is actually intended, it's supposed to be so smaller units can flee pursuers. It almost never gets used because said smaller units tend to be ridiculously fast and don't need the help, so all it really accomplishes is making the pathing choke occasionally.

No there is literally a bug where units that should be able to path through the small trees go around them. And its seemingly random as some of your dogs will go through with no problems while others will take the scenic route. I tried to find a video of it in action but the only one I found is arguably misclicked anyways.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Don't love it. https://www.startengine.com/offering/frostgiant

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I know that video games are expensive, but I would have thought that 37 million would be enough to make a game of this type, without needing additional funding.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
50 employees and a studio in irvine is a pretty big business (and amount of overhead) relative to that amount of money

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

People were begging for them to reopen the kickstarter so they could get beta access, would this be related?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mikojan posted:

People were begging for them to reopen the kickstarter so they could get beta access, would this be related?

No this is a separate thing from the second chance kickstarter which is coming this week sometime. Which is why I think this is kinda rubbing me the wrong way, having two separate crowdfunding things running at the same time isn't a great look but it is what it is. On a logical level I get the napkin math about California dev salaries and why they want to avoid a publisher but it just feels kinda weird to do a startup style stock option for a video game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It this unique to Stormgate? I've seen kickstarters before but I have never really heard of Start Engine

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There are multiple investment services like that. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire used Fig.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm blissfully naive when it comes to this stuff. What exactly are investors hoping to get out of this?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I am also reading the thread on TL.net, where the biggest "optimistic" people reside. Things are turning, realism is setting in.

Also looking forward at the financials when this thing crashes, really wanna know how much the streamers were paid.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 20, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mikojan posted:

I'm blissfully naive when it comes to this stuff. What exactly are investors hoping to get out of this?

Returns, same as any other investment. We give you money now, and later you give us more than what we gave you once your product has been developed and turned a profit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Had a glance at TL, first post I read describes HotS as the best MOBA on the market, immediately disregarded the rest

Seriously though, I Don't Want Stormgate to fail but any kind of extra clamouring for funding really sits poorly with me

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It is, though. "Best" doesn't mean "most successful", however.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kith posted:

It is, though. "Best" doesn't mean "most successful", however.

I liked the design and having Blizzard characters in the game was great but having every spell or ability do like 10% of an enemies health in damage is piss weak when your used to dota

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HOTS had a lot of very good ideas and was extremely fun in its heyday. Unfortunately, it was strangled to death by trying to muscle in on a market that was already firmly established instead of being content to do its own thing.

I sincerely hope that Stormgate does not make the same mistakes in the future.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

HOTS was amazing and I will die on this hill :colbert:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It was! And it still is, in many ways. However, this is the thread for Stormgate, and the thread for HOTS is over there. Bafflingly, HOTS has started getting updates again!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In my limited experience HotS was much less toxic than Dota 2, but most online games are toxic to one degree or another.

Re: Stormgate I’m not really worried, even in the best case scenario it is not going to be Starcraft 3, so if it comes out and it sucks then my world isn’t going to end.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kith posted:

It was! And it still is, in many ways. However, this is the thread for Stormgate, and the thread for HOTS is over there. Bafflingly, HOTS has started getting updates again!

I am excited that HOTS has started getting updates again !!!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Oasx posted:

In my limited experience HotS was much less toxic than Dota 2, but most online games are toxic to one degree or another.

Re: Stormgate I’m not really worried, even in the best case scenario it is not going to be Starcraft 3, so if it comes out and it sucks then my world isn’t going to end.

Uff, maybe you should be worried. Funds are maybe enough for a EA release in a few months, who knows what the state of the game will be then. If it doesnt attract enough people buying skins, thats it.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I wasn't expecting another good RTS after SC2 for the rest of my lifetime so my expectations for this are pretty low. However, I like what I see so far, and feel like there's a lot of micro potential without the Warcraft 3 style of never losing any units. The creep camps add a dynamic of 'map control' and they're not essential to win the game, but they punish turtle styles where you just macro up and move out at max. The static defense is also weak enough that you can't rely on them to completely stop harass.

It definitely feels like they are taking measures to prevent some of the sloggier elements of Sc2. The units taking up so much physical space, which is janky, also weakens AOE and prevents 'deathball' type compositions.

That said, I think maneuverability is an issue, in that it makes it difficult to split off your armies into smaller squads to do things without inviting a big attack by your enemy. For Infernals especially it's easy to shrug off economic damage when they have just banked up a million imps anyway.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
This investment thing has me nervous. FrostGiant got about $35 million in funding before they started, then $2 million from Kickstarter.

If they use the old school Blizzard "release the game when its ready" I bet the game won't be released until early 2026, and they are planning for that by trying to raise as much additional funds as they can.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This investment thing has me nervous. FrostGiant got about $35 million in funding before they started, then $2 million from Kickstarter.

If they use the old school Blizzard "release the game when its ready" I bet the game won't be released until early 2026, and they are planning for that by trying to raise as much additional funds as they can.

I'd rather they wait until it's ready. Or maybe get co-op out the door first to get revenue going while perfecting the 1v1 and 3v3 competitive.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Fozzy The Bear posted:

They addressed this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/1avh4y4/fully_funded_to_release_requesting_frostgiant/krasecl/

quote:

Early Access is our initial release, but is not what we consider to be our 1.0 Launch. We will begin to monetize at Early Access, selling content that was previously available for pre-purchase to our Kickstarter backers (such as Heroes, campaign chapters for our ongoing storyline, and cosmetics such as army skins), but we still have years of development ahead of us and will continue to support the game with new content several times a year.

We are pouring nearly every cent of our approximately $35M ($37M after Kickstarter) into making the best possible RTS, but that doesn’t leave much to self-publish and market our initial release. This is why we’re offering up the opportunity to become part owners of Frost Giant in exchange for funds to help support our self-publishing efforts so that Stormgate can be released without the support (and strings) of a traditional publishing partner and still reach the largest possible audience.

You can find my original post announcing the start of our Kickstarter on this subreddit from 87 days ago where I confirmed “funded to our Early Access release” here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/180owu3/crowdfunding_crafting_the_future_of_rts_together/kamjcto/

It seems that they are doing it this way to be able to self-publish. I'm sure they could have easily gotten a publisher, but then you would have those release requirements with hard dates that they're trying to avoid.

The kickstarter seemed like more of a marketing move than anything, as well as a way to get feedback from people invested in the game.

Again, I would recommend not being too invested in this game. I don't think anybody expected another good RTS to come along. If you enjoy it, then play it, I wouldn't be concerned about how "esports viable" it is. AoE2 is still going strong after all. BW is still going strong. They don't have huge populations. We are never going to have that SC2 had. It was a flash in the pan sort of thing.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 20, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dipwood posted:

They addressed this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/1avh4y4/fully_funded_to_release_requesting_frostgiant/krasecl/

It seems that they are doing it this way to be able to self-publish. I'm sure they could have easily gotten a publisher, but then you would have those release requirements with hard dates that they're trying to avoid.

The kickstarter seemed like more of a marketing move than anything, as well as a way to get feedback from people invested in the game.

Again, I would recommend not being too invested in this game. I don't think anybody expected another good RTS to come along. If you enjoy it, then play it, I wouldn't be concerned about how "esports viable" it is. AoE2 is still going strong after all. BW is still going strong. They don't have huge populations. We are never going to have that SC2 had. It was a flash in the pan sort of thing.

The micro transactional hell payment system would have been a much better pick of things to not have by ditching the publisher, but here we are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

dipwood posted:

There is also an RTS called ZeroSpace that Catz is helping develop, even if Stormgate fails there is still hope left.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oasx posted:

There is also an RTS called ZeroSpace that Catz is helping develop, even if Stormgate fails there is still hope left.

That has hero units :barf:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That has hero units :barf:

Wasn’t Stormgate supposed to have that too, or did I misremember?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Oasx posted:

Wasn’t Stormgate supposed to have that too, or did I misremember?
Not in 1v1 ifaik, only in team vs team

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Stormgate doing fine outside of the echochambers

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/1axd7iv/pc_gamer_stormgate_developer_frost_giant_studios/

....not.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That thread is an echo chamber so I am not sure what that is supposed to prove.

The explanation from Frost Giant makes sense, though even in 2024 this is a worrying amount of money that they are asking for, especially given that it looks like a midbudget game in a genre that is not popular, and we still haven't seen anything about the third faction.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk why people think that there's anything weird about a company trying to raise money, like that's what companies do before they have a product out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think the impression given by the open beta and the work thats been shown so far is that the game needs work in areas other than marketing

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Beta software by definition means that it isn't even close for release.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Beta software by definition means that it isn't even close for release.

If they had called it "Early Access" I think people would be bitching less lol. It's just really early!!!!!!!!!!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If they had called it "Early Access" I think people would be bitching less lol. It's just really early!!!!!!!!!!

They should have called it a "tech demo" :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Another new RTS from ex Blizzard people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFiDlC1Jsw
David Kim pls