Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I have bought literally every single Frost Giant game and yet no invite. Disappointing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's extra weird if we believe their claims that the Kickstarter campaign was not necessary for funding but instead their idea to combine marketing push and a way to allow people to purchase collector's editions (by giving them an easy print run target rather than having to estimate without solid data presumably). Why on earth would you fill your game with nonsense supporter names and even characters if you don't need it to fund your game?

Granted it's unlikely to be as much of an issue as in more character-driven games like Bloodstained or the original Pillars of Eternity (where it was quite bad), but still. How are they even gonna do 300 named units?

The worst thing is it looks like they could easily blow their targets out of the water even without this. Just pointless nonsense making a game marginally worse for no reason.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 5, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Just give every single unit a "name" like in Wargame where each of your troops has its own name, like theyre a person, ez. And those names are crowdsourced and edited.

Having looked at promo gameplay I am not convinced unit survivability can be measured in an amount of time where this makes a lot of sense. Like it would probably only amount to cluttering the unit cards and making them less readable if I had to guess, as your not-a-marine spawns from the not-a-barracks and is mowed down by something 23 seconds later after 1.3 seconds of combat.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
seems a bit expensive NGL but I will probably give the first one a try

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The biggest games average like 17 years old or something, even if the scene is alive it's from a fan perspective more than dev. There have been more recent attempts - many if we include smaller indie titles - and we've seen many examples through history that snaller games can become huge if the interest is there and established developers aren't providing. Palworld being the most obvious recent example. So why didn't AoE4 revive the genre? Well, it has its issues, but so do most games.

Will Stormgate buck the trend finally? Have my doubts but it would be cool. After watching more footage the past few days I'm still not into the artstyle though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Speaking of SC2 I remembered IEM was on and watched some today for the first time in years. Between the complete lack of Protoss, hordes of mirrors and Cyclone/Raven apparently being the hotness nowadays leading to not a single lengthy TvT (everyone loves tank wars into air deathballs!!!), it's been quite disappointing. Every set being either a clean sweep or a really quick 3-1 isn't doing it any favors either. If this is a trend in current SC2 Stormgate certainly couldn't ask for a better environment to try and steal some attention.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone who plays RTS 1v1 or 1vcampaign, the co-op stuff isn't a big deal for me (thinking about it, SC2 may literally be the only multiplayer game I've ever played any decent amount of that I don't know anyone IRL who ever played) but I don't mind them spending time and resources on it if it gets interest in the game. It's smart to try and find specific audiences. My scepticism is mainly that I wonder how many people who are into co-op would get a game like Stormgate for that purpose. I feel like in SC2 many of these players were drawn in by the campaign and (theoretical, didn't amount to that much) custom game scene and then the co-op drew them in from there later when it became good for example, but maybe I am wrong.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Doublepost but I started watching the linked stream and I hope they focus a lot on the impact and feeling of combat through development going forward. I dunno what the units are called but the missiles being fired by the speedy car thing here is a great example (sorry I could not get a screen with a missile properly moving):

These missiles are Not Pleasing currently for a few different reasons:
  • They seem to fire from nowhere in particular, although I admit maybe I am just not seeing the launcher. Not the biggest issue.
  • Their movement is horrendous. Straight-line homing, unnatural and too fast IMO. It doesn't make it feel like a missile at all.
  • They don't have much if any 'oomph' on impact. This may be due to a focus on fidelity and clarity in combat, but is still unfortunate for casual players I think. Ideally having 'pro gamer' graphics settings with fewer explosions and other graphics settings with good+fun visual feedback would be cool but I dunno if they have the time/budget.
  • They make like no noise. This is the most obviously placeholder of the above issues so I am not worried about it but drat do fights in the game currently sound like nothing. Not unique to the missiles but stand out a bit since we are conditioned to 'missile = big asplody + boom'.

In comparison, the gameplay mechanics themselves looks a lot more polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

They're running a 10,000$ tourney for an open beta? Jesus christ what is wrong with people?

ESports brain