Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I liked what I saw. I'm happy I didn't see any dropship micro or busywork macro mechanics. It also seems like there won't be any caster units (which I consider a positive). Instead there's just global powers.

The warcraft 3 stuff like creep camps and trees (that aren't a resource, just a removable terrain feature) feel like good RTS features to lift. On the observer end, I think the creep camps will really help the early game by not having to endlessly watch reapers, zerglings, and adepts/oracles run around doing the same song and dance every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Not the worst thing considering that they've confirmed achievements and unlocks will be a thing (also the campaigns are going to be co-op-able) so there's some potential replayability for value add. There's also future plans to only require one player in a group to own the campaign for co-op. However...

FoolyCharged posted:

The big buzzkill for me here is that I liked a lot of the out of mission progression in Wings, and if the campaigns are a measly three missions long, that's pretty much out the window.

I think that's a really valid concern. One of things I really enjoyed about the Heart of the Swarm campaign was customizing the zerg army. I don't see a complex system like that existing with how they've decided to break things up into chapters and such.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I love the global build buttons. Not having to select a builder unit or building first is great. C&C had the global build menu but for some reason this feels particularly novel? Especially, with how builder units will return to work after construction completes.

I played a little co-op, I wish the "commanders" didn't need to level up for the beta (unless progress carries over?). Normal feels somewhat challenging while learning.. Positioning and good engagements seem to matter more.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I saw someone else post that they'd be surprised if Stormgate released in 2024. After playing the beta, I too would be surprised. I honestly think they should wait for 2025 for a full release.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Kith posted:

if you want to see the actual thing without some dude pausing every minute to talk over it, you can find it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm8Ghjhxew

I never liked the macro mechanics in Starcraft 2. It's funny to hear that the reason they exist is because the controls improved and you could select multiple buildings and units so there needed to be "an annoyance" to offset the benefit for "reasons".

I will admit that one thing that was mentioned in the video that has me intrigued is from 20:57* where it's mentioned that they want to tackle the monotony of the start of RTS matches where you end up doing roughly similar things. That's always been something I've wanted to see be improved. My idea was either using planned "blueprints" or automation so that you can focus your attention elsewhere instead of waiting for X resource so you can build Y right away. Or just have a robust UI that allows queuing up future commands without needing to pay upfront costs.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm8Ghjhxew&t=1257s