Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea I’m not expecting this to have the polish of SC2, at least not at launch. It’s a brand new studio that has to rebuild all of their dev tools and processes from scratch. They’ll cut corners where they can.

They’re VC funded and I don’t see more money coming to them pre-launch in the current economic environment. They gotta produce with what they’ve got and I think that’s why we’re seeing them really ramp up their timeline.

I’m very excited. It’ll probably be very rough around the edges at first but they seem to have the right team in place and the entire sc2 fanbase, casters, and pros all seem primed to switch over at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Stormgate has the SC2 backend/pathing guy so I’m not worried about that. The clips so far look more like Warcraft than StarCraft but I’ll play the hell out of whatever they release.

SC2’s problem is that they solved balance problems with splash damage, which, combined with SC2’s pathing causing armies to ball up means that half your army could instantly be deleted. It made for fun pro games because pros were really good at micro but for your average gamer it is very stressful.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I think it will probably end up fine as long as their investors don’t force them to rush the launch.

I think having co-op released as a deliberate part of the game will be super important. SC2 co-op was hugely popular at first and was only added when SC2 was already well past its prime.

They have all of the right people working on the game so I’m looking forward to playing it at launch. I have zero interest in playing beta or donating to the game since the game is still clearly a long way off.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea there’s definite risk that frost giant pursues casual play too much and you end up with a game that appeals to no one a la Heroes of the Storm.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea nathanias is a bitter dude with a chip on his shoulder. I think he’s probably a nice dude but never able to separate his personal views/life from his casts.

There’s a bunch of really good SC2 casters but less work to go around. Pissing off the European pros was basically self immolation because SC2 pro scene is dead in NA and KR while the EU SC2 scene is very much alive and evolving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This investment thing has me nervous. FrostGiant got about $35 million in funding before they started, then $2 million from Kickstarter.

If they use the old school Blizzard "release the game when its ready" I bet the game won't be released until early 2026, and they are planning for that by trying to raise as much additional funds as they can.

I'd rather they wait until it's ready. Or maybe get co-op out the door first to get revenue going while perfecting the 1v1 and 3v3 competitive.