Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I also wanna know if I can be a space trucker. One of the ships they showed off that you could design kind of looked like a cargo hauler.

Edit: Specifically this one

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sure there will be no issues with quests to go place this analysis tool on [QL-41-702c]

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Is this the first Bethesda game since FO76

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is Emil Pagliarulo writing this? If so...

TresTristesTigres posted:

So, one or both of us might not be 100% right on what Emil wrote for what. My understanding is that Rolston was the lead design on Oblivion. Emil, as a junior designer, probably touched a lot of things but the only big chunk he could take credit for specifically was the DB questline, which can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool + funny people, mutual trust and appreciation all around (even that bastard khajiit guy likes you at the end), and the final mission is to fight and kill all of them to become #1 Dude.
After Rolston and others left, Emil became lead writer and wrote Skyrim's main quest and civil war quest, which as a stormcloak can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool people, mutual trust and appreciation all around, and to be #1 Stormcloak Dude, sack Whiterun, fight Balgruuf and Irileth, then sack Solitude and fight those guys too.
Then Emil wrote Fallout 4's main quest which as a Railroad supporter can be summed up as:
Make friends with cool + funny people, mutual trust and appreciation all around, and then to free all the slaves, you have to blow up the Brotherhood zeppelin (which has literal children on board you can talk to), blow up the Institute killing god knows how many people (including your own loving son), and cause the Railroad's plant in the institute to commit suicide because why not.

The guy just seems to be driving home the same theme over and over, except raising the total amount of assholery you have to do in order to play through to a conclusion. Starfield probably winds up with you blowing up a whole planet or something. Figure out a new trick, Pagliarulo

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
The alien artifacts are pieces of a large planet sized "halo" shaped object, and if this "halo" object is completed it will destroy all life in the galaxy

I think it's based on a book called "the ring that shouldn't blow up"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ErrEff posted:

I think it looks fine - just like a Bethesda game! The game's atmosphere feels reserved and 'generic/vanilla future stuff' but I think that's 100% on purpose, because on PC this will have lots of mods. As for console versions, the understated fantasy vanilla flavor on the surface didn't stop Skyrim from being very popular there as well.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 both are mod supported on consoles too. Mostly the Xbox version which can use most PC mods, Playstation also has some mods. So I'm expecting Starfield to be fully supported on consoles as well.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if it was me, if it were me, i'd probably make it and have it so that what it is, is that you start the game on a space ship. the space ship at the beginning of the game is about to crash, and you have to make it to one of the escape pods if you want to survive or else you're dead meat. and once you make it into an escape pod, the game kind of swooshes over to a UI element with a series of options to make. each of the escape pods has a predefined character in it, and those characters are all fleshed out and you can interact with them later in the game. but the main thing here in this section of the game is that you could pick to roleplay as one of these characters here starting at the beginning of the game. but the last escape pod is a 'define your own character' escape pod that doesn't show who went into it until after you've defined your own character. and once you choose a character or make your character at the escape pods, you fully take over that character that you selected, hopping into the escape pod and then the escape pods all eject from the space ship right before it blows up. one of the escape pods was malfunctioning though and the person who was in that randomly assigned escape pod dies right then and there on the space ship where you start the game. it could be your favorite character, and you just have to live with that, or it could be you, the player. And it was written by your best game writer that you fancy

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Skyrim and Fallout 4 both are mod supported on consoles too. Mostly the Xbox version which can use most PC mods, Playstation also has some mods. So I'm expecting Starfield to be fully supported on consoles as well.

Oh, I did forget there is mod support on consoles now. Is it as much of a wild west of crazy unfiltered content as the PC offers? Surely they don't let people upload NSFW stuff?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ErrEff posted:

I don't think players will have control of spaceships when landing or taking off - it'll just be an automated process. The footage contains a hint that this might be the case - every lander module contains this description: "Spaceship landers come equipped with auto-deploying landing gear, to help pilots land on even the roughest of terrain." When in spaceflight it'll be a separate instance and if you try to crash down into a planet it'll just take over and transition you down to a landing to get around physics issues. That makes the most sense to me.
This would be somewhat underwhelming if so. NMS has in atmosphere dogfights and hugging the terrain to escape detection, and the dedicated landing button just halts your momentum and lowers you vertically to the ground. From what we've seen of flight here, the physics in Starflight are broadly the same and not 'realistic' at all (this is a good thing). As such it would be disappointing if they cut so much atmosphere flight.

NMS doesn't really have anti-aircraft fire/aeriel defences, so Starfield could just chuck those over a region if they don't want you landing directly on a mission objective.

Thinking of the 1000 planets thing a bit more, what I assume they've done is run a NMS style infinite planets procgen - then weeded out anything that's not appropriate for their aesthetic. So while in No Man's Sky you might find a hot pink neon planet with boiling seas and big head dinosaurs right out of Caelid but are vegetarians and will be your friend, that would have ended up on the Not Hard Scifi pile here. Each of the 1000 planets that aren't directly related to story could have met enough criteria to be considered Different and Interesting in some way however.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Oh, I did forget there is mod support on consoles now. Is it as much of a wild west of crazy unfiltered content as the PC offers? Surely they don't let people upload NSFW stuff?

There is some borderline stuff but you're correct, there's no crazy nsfw stuff to be found.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I take anything old Todd says with a grain of salt tbh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cumming

e: im so glad they went back from F4 dialogue system

frajaq fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 13, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lol if starfield works and succeeds Croberts will add another 10 yrs to Star Citizen's development.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Starfield: is a game, is playable
Star citizen: bedsheet deformation simulation by 2026

On balance it's impossible to say which is the better product

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

With the space travel, can you fly all the way down to the planet surfaces from outer space in real time or is it seperated by a menu or loading screen? I'm out of the loop of modern space games, IDK if that kind of scale is possible yet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They didn't explicitly show that so probably not. It'll likely be a cut scene.

Some games do that like Elite and Star Citizen (lol)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao I didnt catch this, why did they bother

I obviously understand this used in TES and Fallout but in a space sci-fi setting it just feels...silly? maybe its just me

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it looks like Outer Worlds if they took out all the humour and changed nothing else

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Big Bizness posted:

With the space travel, can you fly all the way down to the planet surfaces from outer space in real time or is it seperated by a menu or loading screen? I'm out of the loop of modern space games, IDK if that kind of scale is possible yet.

This is exactly how it works in No Man's Sky (though it's pretty easy to see the textures load in). Atmospheric distortion can hide a loading process - with that and SSDs it would be pretty pathetic if they needed a loading screen there.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it looks like Outer Worlds if they took out all the humour and changed nothing else

Come now The Outer Worlds was basically 10 minutes long

This is hundreds of hours of content, the hot and ready pizza of video gaming

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Come on now, there was no humour in Outer Worlds.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Go to procgen outpost, generically shoot some dudes, gain resources to upgrade an interesting treadmill, repeat ad infinitum.

Gameplay should be fun, not the chore you have to complete before getting an increment of ship/colony/house upgrade or whatever actually drew your interest.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Kegluneq posted:

This is exactly how it works in No Man's Sky (though it's pretty easy to see the textures load in). Atmospheric distortion can hide a loading process - with that and SSDs it would be pretty pathetic if they needed a loading screen there.

Oh nice. I'll have to check that out then, heard it's quite a bit better then it was at launch.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Looks cool, I can't wait for good/dumb mods.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
what are the chances they gently caress up the modding scene for this by going all in on their paid for creator club bullshit?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lexorin posted:

I deeply hope that the reason the shooting sucks in Fallout is because of the V.A.T.S. system. Assuming starfield doesn't have that, then they don't have a reason to make the shooting suck on purpose. I realize this is extremely wishful thinking.

Yeah, this.

In 99% of my fallout encounters I forgot vats even existed. The gunplay was a very solid meh at best. :shrug:

Though I don't much like fps games and played it third person so maybe there was improvement if you did it in first person. I only did fps when I was in a dungeon because the camera didn't work well in them for tps. But on the surface it was all third person.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheSwizzler posted:

The alien artifacts are pieces of a large planet sized "halo" shaped object, and if this "halo" object is completed it will destroy all life in the galaxy

I think it's based on a book called "the ring that shouldn't blow up"

It seems like the story from dead space too except I think that artifact made people crazy and turn into night horrors as well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cavauro posted:

if it was me, if it were me, i'd probably make it and have it so that what it is, is that you start the game on a space ship. the space ship at the beginning of the game is about to crash, and you have to make it to one of the escape pods if you want to survive or else you're dead meat. and once you make it into an escape pod, the game kind of swooshes over to a UI element with a series of options to make. each of the escape pods has a predefined character in it, and those characters are all fleshed out and you can interact with them later in the game. but the main thing here in this section of the game is that you could pick to roleplay as one of these characters here starting at the beginning of the game. but the last escape pod is a 'define your own character' escape pod that doesn't show who went into it until after you've defined your own character. and once you choose a character or make your character at the escape pods, you fully take over that character that you selected, hopping into the escape pod and then the escape pods all eject from the space ship right before it blows up. one of the escape pods was malfunctioning though and the person who was in that randomly assigned escape pod dies right then and there on the space ship where you start the game. it could be your favorite character, and you just have to live with that, or it could be you, the player. And it was written by your best game writer that you fancy

This, except after spending 200 hours making your perfect character the escape pods all blow up except a few and one crashes down and out walks Solid Snake.

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

And then he bites down on a cigar and your wild adventure begins because the sky turns into fire and a giant space squid tentacle stabs out at you from the sky.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

what are the chances they gently caress up the modding scene for this by going all in on their paid for creator club bullshit?

I'd say 85-90% honestly.

I'm kind of expecting them to somehow shut down free mods except for stuff they curated and you can buy with Bethesda tokens sold for real money.

I figure they could do this by setting some kind of decryption in the exe file that has to be used to decode a mod, and every week they just push out a game "update" that alters that code.

This would effectively kill modders because they can't keep up or don't care so mods would stop being supported at various versions of the game, but getting your favorite stuff working would be impossible over time.

Unless of course... you buy them from Bethesda who updates their curated mods with the new decryption keys.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The Titanic posted:

In 99% of my fallout encounters I forgot vats even existed. The gunplay was a very solid meh at best. :shrug:

Though I don't much like fps games and played it third person so maybe there was improvement if you did it in first person. I only did fps when I was in a dungeon because the camera didn't work well in them for tps. But on the surface it was all third person.

I'm just accusing them of intentionally making the gunplay bad so that people would use vats. But maybe they're just bad at it? Maybe a bit of both? Someone tweet at todd about it!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lexorin posted:

I'm just accusing them of intentionally making the gunplay bad so that people would use vats. But maybe they're just bad at it? Maybe a bit of both? Someone tweet at todd about it!

With guns their jank is noticeable because you sort of know what a gun should do, especially in video games. They don't do horribly, but it's also not fun or exciting gunplay. I also don't really think anybody really looked like they got hit until you crippled some limb, but I do the stealth sniper route (fallout version of stealth archer), so it was headshots whenever possible.

I also only liked bullet guns and never really used the lasers because they felt even more hokey.

That floaty feel of my character always made the combat not feel super fluid, and I never felt too powerful or exciting, the kill cams were neat enough but just blowing off limbs with guns and it was not as crazy as the swordplay stuff.

Same thing in Skyrim except it was a sword, and I didn't care if my hits weren't exactly on target so the jank of my character moving wasn't as bad and never pulled me out of the game. I could feel like a sword swinging goddess of destruction all I wanted because it feels more like an rpg game where stats mattered and my changes were more visible and felt that way in the world. My magic was different colors, and had different effects.

I honestly don't know if it's just the engine they can't ever escape from or if they never buy good programmers who know how to do those games because they only have as billions of dollars and Todd wants a new Ferrari color every year... I dunno. :)

But whatever it is, Bethesda can't make shooting anything more cool than a bow and arrow (even the crossbow in Skyrim was pretty lame), and they just shouldn't make those kinds of games.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

precision posted:

its literally just gonna be the plot of Starflight again because devs can't not rip off Starflight

All I want is Starlight 1 and 2 remade in a modern engine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So is there a cockNballs ship goon guild yet? Can you use bent antennae for pubes and expand the hulls length when prepping for light speed? 3 round burst plasma gun?

This game is gonna be fun maybe.

Just watched the presentation a 2nd time and the interface looks and sounds pretty good, definitely emulating Death Strandings UI which I am very much okay with. I'm afraid they're going to target 30fps min for launch and I hope I am wrong*!

*XsX & PC should be capable of 60 or I will twitter cry

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TheSwizzler posted:

Come now The Outer Worlds was basically 10 minutes long

This is hundreds of hours of content, the hot and ready pizza of video gaming

the outer worlds was infinitely long to me because it was so bad i stopped playing it

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
yikes that gameplay reveal did not inspire confidence

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
ONE THOUSAND UNIQUE PLANETS

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

No Man's Skyrim

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the outer worlds was infinitely long to me because it was so bad i stopped playing it

The fact someone is already referring to Bethesda ripping off outer worlds is depressing as poo poo when you consider outer worlds came out like 8 years after fallout 4 and is basically the exact same game but with bad haircuts and snarky capitalism.

This game looks… cool… as long as it can be modded to hell I’m in.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1536468794385633280?s=20&t=57pMCFn939l_clJZndMMqQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Big Bizness posted:

Oh nice. I'll have to check that out then, heard it's quite a bit better then it was at launch.
https://youtu.be/UExKIrOlVmU

The process can actually be a lot quicker, you can boost right to the edge of the atmosphere, then pull out of a death dive at 12feet up to land safely (physics!). But this is an old engine developed by a tiny team, so fly/land anywhere with no load screens should definitely be doable here.