Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I genuinely get a little mad when I feel like I’ve gotten tricked into doing one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay I’ve been putting around doing random fun poo poo for like … 25-30 hours. Finally getting to the main quest poo poo, and man why does it feel like Walter’s treating me like a kid he’s trying to get out of his hair so he can pork his hot wife in the office?

I mean I’m a credit goblin so of course I’ll take the pocket change space daddy, but drat. Be more subtle.

E: also I play games very slowly nowadays but I finally got Covid 4 years in, so I’m making progress now.
Is this game perfect? Naw. Am I paying $10/month on a bet I can finish it before I’m in more than I would’ve otherwise paid? Yes. I have one more month.
E2: am I having fun playing a kindhearted hillbilly settler down on his luck? Yes.

E3: as I type my character is falling through an infinite loop in a hole in the floor in Neon, with NPCs screaming bloody murder like I’m a terrorist.
Never change, Bethesda.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 24, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

E3: as I type my character is falling through an infinite loop in a hole in the floor in Neon, with NPCs screaming bloody murder like I’m a terrorist.
Never change, Bethesda.

Well yeah, we're all ranting about the whole thing, but the game does have some genuinely good moments too.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I'm not spending 10 minutes grinding ship combat in Starfield before I say gently caress it and type player.additem f 100000 no one should waste their time grinding the Starfield ship combat for hours.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

E: also I play games very slowly nowadays but I finally got Covid 4 years in, so I’m making progress now.
Is this game perfect? Naw. Am I paying $10/month on a bet I can finish it before I’m in more than I would’ve otherwise paid? Yes. I have one more month.
E2: am I having fun playing a kindhearted hillbilly settler down on his luck? Yes.

Never change, Bethesda.

I played it quite a lot over the span of three months, I enjoyed it plenty, it's just that there's a lot of it that's very frustrating/bewildering because it's not there, or like, half there and dangling off the side.

That said, I am also a huge fan of weird Bethesda jank, and this game has less of that than any previous RPG they've made. Not none, but it took like 80 hours before I hit my first game breaking no-progression revert to a previous save bug, which is like 60 more hours than usual.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I bought a couple flight sticks for a HOSAS setup and spent 3 days looking up games that support them (surprisingly few!). Just realised Starfield didn't pop into my mind for even a fraction of a second.

I remember Todd Howard saying that space combat felt like MechWarrior, there's another letdown I forgot about. A bigger letdown is MW5 having no real support for HOTAS either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PeePot posted:

I bought a couple flight sticks for a HOSAS setup and spent 3 days looking up games that support them (surprisingly few!). Just realised Starfield didn't pop into my mind for even a fraction of a second.

I remember Todd Howard saying that space combat felt like MechWarrior, there's another letdown I forgot about. A bigger letdown is MW5 having no real support for HOTAS either.

As someone who's doing a MW5 play through right now, what the gently caress was he smoking when he thought the space combat felt like that? I mean setting aside all criticisms of MW5/MWO, and :pgi: there's still zero loving comparison between the two other than you shoot things, and reticles exist.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It really does not help that the options at the unity are “yes” and “yes, but later” when they have becoming starborn portrayed as having issues, with a character that has rejected it and explained why. You never get to actually engage with that theme at all

The endgame I wanted was to reject unity, and build Constellation into a known-space spanning navy dedicated to wiping out every starborn that enters your universe. starborn delenda est. NONE SHALL PASS

Build outposts because there's a point! They detect starborn incursions and let you kill them. Build up their defences so starborn can't attack them. Build fleets stationed there so all incursions in neighboring star systems are automatically dealt with. Build new outposts elsewhere and repeat to protect more of the galaxy. Galaxy tower defense, basically.

...then, having saved the galaxy, decide the only way to continue the war is to enter unity and go protect another universe from the starborn scourge.

...then eventually jump into a universe other-you has already protected, and now you have to figure out how to survive long enough to make it back to unity because they perceive you as just another starborn fucker. But also you don't want to just kill them all because they are sorta allies after all, even if they're trying to kill you. Or maybe you don't care, because you're turning into a starborn fucker.

I could see myself playing that game entirely too much.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who's doing a MW5 play through right now, what the gently caress was he smoking when he thought the space combat felt like that? I mean setting aside all criticisms of MW5/MWO, and :pgi: there's still zero loving comparison between the two other than you shoot things, and reticles exist.

No, seriously, Starfield manages to make Star Citizen's noclip flight model feel detailed. I cannot imagine a bigger waste of time then trying to use HOTAS/HOSAS with the ships in this game.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Starfield space combat is horrible and as far away from a flight sim as you can get. In MechWarrior you can shoot lasers or missiles independently, so I guess they are incredibly similar.

Still sad about not getting to relive my MW2 days with my Mad Catz Panther XL. I hacked some cfg files to get HOTAS but precision aiming with a mouse is way better. :(

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

infernal machines posted:

No, seriously, Starfield manages to make Star Citizen's noclip flight model feel detailed. I cannot imagine a bigger waste of time then trying to use HOTAS/HOSAS with the ships in this game.

From my limited HOSAS research, aside from Flight Sims, Star Citizen gets the most discussion, so I was wondering if that was the only thing they got right. I ended up adding -citizen to my Google searches because gently caress Star Citizen.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

infernal machines posted:

I played it quite a lot over the span of three months, I enjoyed it plenty, it's just that there's a lot of it that's very frustrating/bewildering because it's not there, or like, half there and dangling off the side.

Yeah, I think a lot of why we keep talking about it is because it's not that the game is terrible, it's that it has so many flaws that chain it to mediocrity, and you can't help but ask "what if".

Of course, another big part of that is Bethesda's fault for the themes they tried to build and market the game around. If the selling point is appealing to people's sense of wonder and stirring the passions of their imagination with the majesty of space, they can't really complain when the customer applies those tools to the game itself and find it wanting.

crazypenguin posted:

The endgame I wanted was to reject unity, and build Constellation into a known-space spanning navy dedicated to wiping out every starborn that enters your universe. starborn delenda est. NONE SHALL PASS

I'd really have liked to see a rejection in the exact opposite vein. The thing that really makes starborn special isn't the space wizard shouts, it's that they have foreknowledge that no one else has. One way to completely tell off both the Hunter and the Emissary would be to just let 'er rip, go public with everything, and shove anyone who asks into the Unity. This is kind of suggested by one of the endings...but they did nothing with it, natch.

Imagine if, instead of yet another universe where the constellation members are all dropped from the story for whatever reason, we wound up in an entire universe full of starborn. What would that even be like? How would society wind up functioning when everyone's basically a genre-savvy isekai protagonist on their umpteenth life? Is everyone a jaded sociopath like the Hunter, or do some still find meaning in having a family and raising a kid? What even happens to kids in a universe like that? It'd be too much work for just an alternate universe ng+ option, but I'd play that expansion.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Talkie Toaster posted:

Apart from the 3 office workers on Mars who go to happy hour at the bar then immediately back to the office, proving that the game can still do it and Beth chose not to.

Feel like the devs were trying to tell us something here

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I saw that in one universe Sarah is a potted plant at the Constellation HQ, and honestly it annoyed me more than amused me. Even if someone was a plant in another universe, why would she have been uprooted and placed at constellation? It just seems... ugh.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should have made her feral at the treehouse on dinosaur planet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Iacen posted:

I saw that in one universe Sarah is a potted plant at the Constellation HQ, and honestly it annoyed me more than amused me. Even if someone was a plant in another universe, why would she have been uprooted and placed at constellation? It just seems... ugh.

It sounds a lot more interesting than it is

You walk in, see a potted plant with Sarah's name on it, start talking to it like it's Sarah, and then Noel comes out on the balcony and asks if you're insane. Turns out every other constellation member got bored and retired early, Sarah got a commemorative plaque on a plant when she left. The universe otherwise proceeds as normal for any one of the "constellation missing, do your own drat work on the eye" universes, of course

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It sounds a lot more interesting than it is

You walk in, see a potted plant with Sarah's name on it, start talking to it like it's Sarah, and then Noel comes out on the balcony and asks if you're insane. Turns out every other constellation member got bored and retired early, Sarah got a commemorative plaque on a plant when she left. The universe otherwise proceeds as normal for any one of the "constellation missing, do your own drat work on the eye" universes, of course

That’s the most interesting thing I’ve ever read regarding this game’s writing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I will also note for anyone who, for some inexplicable reason, wants to experience the "weird" variant universes for themselves, it's decided when you go through Unity so reloading a save right before doing the last warp jump will let you reroll it (as long as you're on NG+2 or later, I think NG+1 is forced to be a normal one). You can tell if you're going to get an abnormal one or not right after you go through the Unity if you land right back at the tutorial mining colony-- if Barret and Lin are still there, it's a normal universe; if it's abandoned, it'll be a variant.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I will also note for anyone who, for some inexplicable reason, wants to experience the "weird" variant universes for themselves, it's decided when you go through Unity so reloading a save right before doing the last warp jump will let you reroll it (as long as you're on NG+2 or later, I think NG+1 is forced to be a normal one). You can tell if you're going to get an abnormal one or not right after you go through the Unity if you land right back at the tutorial mining colony-- if Barret and Lin are still there, it's a normal universe; if it's abandoned, it'll be a variant.

There's an even simpler and faster way to tell. When you appear in the new universe on board your spaceship, you will automatically start the main quest and get the first notification. If the quest describes your initial destination as "(Mast District)" then it's a vanilla universe. If those two words are missing then it's one of the variants. This is the easiest way to find variants.

There is one exception, and it's the only variant I haven't played. It's a variant where you show up to meet the Constellation gang and your doppelganger is already there. You can recruit yourself as a companion, and this is the only way to do so. This variant has the typical "(Mast District)" description so you have to travel all the way to Constellation HQ and get really lucky.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The easiest way is to just use the console command right before you go into the unity to set the next universe to a specific one.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Vasudus posted:

The easiest way is to just use the console command right before you go into the unity to set the next universe to a specific one.

I'm a filthy Xbox player

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I looked up how many there are and it’s 10 .

Well that’s just lazy and boring. Which sums up Starfield perfectly.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I got Starbornified only once, and it was the 'nothing is different lol' universe which felt thematically appropriate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Comstar posted:

I looked up how many there are and it’s 10 .

Well that’s just lazy and boring. Which sums up Starfield perfectly.

All of them are just an intro, and 9 are just constellation is dead or retired. It’s so loving lazy

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Punished Ape posted:

I got Starbornified only once, and it was the 'nothing is different lol' universe which felt thematically appropriate.

I don't think you can get a variant universe until you've starborned at least twice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol, Microsoft is doing some weird cross promotion thing.

We use Teams at work and I noticed today that one of the available backgrounds is a starfield hyper jump screen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's great, anyway what the gently caress is up with the Creation Kit

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tiny Timbs posted:

what the gently caress is up with the Creation Kit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We could have had Fallout 5 in time for the TV show instead of this lol.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Megazver posted:

:negative:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

We could have had Fallout 5 in time for the TV show Elder Scrolls 6 and 7 instead of this lol.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megazver posted:

It would of been the next elder scrolls anyway.

But it's hard to think how bethesda wouldn't of been able to gently caress that up as much as starfield.

Would of at least been funny if it came out with Daggerfall'esq procedurally generated jank rear end dungeons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

It would of been the next elder scrolls anyway.

But it's hard to think how bethesda wouldn't of been able to gently caress that up as much as starfield.

Would of at least been funny if it came out with Daggerfall'esq procedurally generated jank rear end dungeons.

They could have changed nothing about Starfield as a mechanical accomplishment, all of the same problems, but made it a medieval fantasy about sailing to islands, and it would have worked better because people will accept a lot more of the game's setting and narrative if it's based in a magical land of high fantasy.

How much that improves the game is an open question, but they tried something harder than normal in Starfield, and it's a good illustration of some of the slack you automatically start out with in fantasy.

So yeah, even with no other improvement of the execution of the game, ES6 would have been better.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also elder scrolls already has tons of backstory to fall back on so they wouldn't of had to come up with their own super generic setting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think Bethesda has production issues that go way beyond what they experienced trying to make proc gen and space travel work in Starfield

I also think the next Elder Scrolls game will try to build on what they started with Starfield and shoot for either a modern Daggerfall or a game like Elder Scrolls: Online where you're hitting up locations all across Tamriel

dr_rat posted:

Also elder scrolls already has tons of backstory to fall back on so they wouldn't of had to come up with their own super generic setting.

This isn't going to help them if they have zero ability to figure out how to write something interesting within the setting. You can't make Starfield-style execution better by hitting a checkbox marked "Daedra"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If they have the ability to do even the slight bit of introspection, they'd really want to make ES6 smaller and more detailed. Just make it the size of F76 at most. Size of skyrim would be better. hardly anyone would of seen all of the skyrim map anyway, why keep making it bigger!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

If they have the ability to do even the slight bit of introspection, they'd really want to make ES6 smaller and more detailed. Just make it the size of F76 at most. Size of skyrim would be better. hardly anyone would of seen all of the skyrim map anyway, why keep making it bigger!

This was the realization and reaction "they" (different company really) had in-between Daggerfall and Morrowind and it was a landmark change in their games. We'll see if the BGS of today has something similar happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not confident they'll make that shift since Starfield was such a massive investment of time for them. They'd need leadership with the sense to avoid sunk cost fallacy and also to realize what people like about their games.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
it feels bizarre to have a thread for a Bethesda game that's a bit over half a year old have a literal week between posts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Creation Kit was supposed to be released in "early 2024" and we're two weeks out from May. :smith: