Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bad Purchase posted:

my prediction, in spoiler tags because i'm pretty sure i'm right:

all of the mysterious talking space rocks you find are part of an elder device. after about 80 hours of gameplay exploring dozens of worlds and consulting with researchers and mystics, you finally locate the origin of the device -- an uncharted planet in the talos system.

when you arrive, you discover the planet is inhabited by a pre-industrial civilization. you land on the largest continent and are immediately confronted by soldiers equipped with metal armor and swords. they accuse of you of being some kind of rebel. you try to escape, but they capture you and you're knocked unconscious.

a dream sequence begins. you are in a featureless void and a large human(?) stands in front of you howling with laughter. if you try to interact, the mad cackling only intensifies. there's no way out and after after 10 minutes of non-stop overlapping laugh-tracks, you assume the game must be glitched and exit out.

when you start the game again and reload your save, you're still in the dream sequence, but this time the laughing figure has a name - sheogorath. in a few seconds the screen fades to black, and you wake up in a cart among a group of prisoners. they call themselves "stormcloaks"

pretty sure kirkbride is not working on starfield unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

how ugly oblivion was or wasn't is tertiary to all the other ways it was a big pile of poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Earwicker posted:

there have been a few videos and descriptions of the main city in the game, new atlantis, which looks like a very clean and shiny techno utopia kind of place, very TNG. i really hope it is balanced out by a filthy crowded dysfunctional space station full of sketchy characters somewhere

Put Omega In Starfield

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all i really want outta starfield is for blind exploration to be worthwhile. morrowind is my favorite game ever largely for that reason, and nothing bethesda has made since even comes remotely close in that regard. companions, quests, story, idgaf about any of that if flying to a random moon of a random gas giant doesn't offer something cool to find and spectacular views.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

K8.0 posted:

Hot take : cities and dialogue are the worst parts of every RPG. Bethesda games are popular in large part because they minimize how much time you waste on the parts everyone says they like but actually don't enjoy.

the cities in morrowind kick massive amounts of rear end and you're dumb

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no man's sky has totally broken my brain, every time i get to a new system in starfield, i am landing on every planet and scanning every mineral, creature and plant on all of them before moving on to a new sysyem

help

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want them to add an option to have to do station docking manually instead of an auto cutscene for sickos like me that played way way too much lerbal space program

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my obsessive need to explore every planet has landed me with 7 ships in addition to the starter and i am level 16. i have not gotten past mars yet in the main story.

lol

also my character is focused on melee combat and i am just murdering pirates with axes, gently caress guns

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

after spending some 20 hours with starfield, it is fine. good, even. but man there are so many bad design decisions, this game could be fantastic but bethesda doesn't want to learn anything from anyone.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zero VGS posted:

I'm more angry at reviewers than Bethesda. It's more of this "oh yeah game is all hosed up and sterile and disappointing, 9/10". Like if they wound up with a poo poo score on their precious Metacritic it would be a nice "come to jesus" moment for the Maryland slackers, but that ain't gonna happen.

yeah, like i'd give the game three stars in its released state. good, fun to be had, but there are a lot of problems in this game that are solved issues elsewhere in the gaming landscape.

the flow of traveling to and landing on planets and moons alone is just, so fuckin bad and it completely demolishes ~*~my immersion~*~. when no man's sky, a game made by fewer people than bethesda has janitors, does interplanetary travel as much better as it does, it's just disappointing. it feels like the space part of the game called 'Starfield' is maybe its single weakest aspect.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AccountSupervisor posted:

To me a Bethesda RPG based in Space is less about moments like

"I flew from planet to planet seamlessly and it looked gorgeous! I got into an amazing space dog fight and it was so badass!"

And more

"I was on a main quest and spent some time hanging around on Mars and talked to a random kid who wanted a rare old comic book and many many hours later I was pickpocketing a random vendor on my own another planet and he had the comic on him and I was delighted."

And

"I fast traveled to a planet and before landing a sweet old woman hailed me to her ship, fed me dinner, told me about her life, we talked for a bit and then she gave me some leftover food loot to take home. I then looted her entire ship."

Ive played almost all the big ones, NMS, Elite, Star Citizen, X4, etc. Space sim poo poo has its place, I get it.

None of thise have ever offered the level of role playing adventure Starfield has so far. In fact I got bored of most of those games because despite there being so much stuff and cool tech and simulation, they just dont offer me any kind of "place" in that world as character thats living an full on scifi adventure in a big rear end sandbox.

I feel like this games core DNA has more in common with old point and click story based RPGs than most other space "sim" games.

this would be all a fair point if you didn't still have to engage with the space parts of the game that are very badly done. and it's not even all terrible! i like the space combat and that you have to manage powering your systems like in tie fighter, and i like the 'weightiness' of the ships compared with, say, no man's sky where everything is ultra nimble. it's the godawful flow of having to gently caress around in menus within menus to actually go to a planet and land on it that really chaps my rear end.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

since i first saw it, i've been saving credits to buy the murasame

just got it and it does not disappoint, the interior is totally my jam and it kicks rear end in a fight. it has really low cargo capacity so it cannot really be used as a hauler but that's ok i stole a mule and use that if i want to accept delivery missions

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i think there was a main quest at some point but i guess i'm just gonna live in neon forever. every time i get a step done in a quest, i get like 5 more people i need to talk to to start other quests.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

evilmiera posted:

Neon is the best city so far. If the game was hardcore into cyberware you know that's where you would get it installed.

it is. not just for the theming, but also because i can actually find my way around it reasonably well, something i absolutely cannot say about new atlantis

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's a horrible impression- the other cities are far better. I think having one wide open area near the starport would be enough, but it's just a lot of walking to fairly desolate buildings.

new atlantis sucks so hard that i bet a lot of the people unhappy with the game got there and quit. it woukd have sucked at any point, but putting it right near the start was the worst thing they coulda done.

neon should have been the first major city you visited.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i threw a couple windows in my murasame and switched the armory it comes with to a captain's quarters and i think i am gonna ride this thing to the end of the game, i fuckin love this ship. it easily shreds every enemy i have come across, it looks fuckin great externally, and the interior layout is basically perfect.

that said, i am pretty tempted to buy the insane, weird, hugely asymmetrical c-class ship from paradiso for the hell of it, considering i am absurdly rich from obsessively scanning every single thing on every single planet and moon in every system i have been sent to for quests and selling the survey data to vlad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i bought the huge asymmetrical c-class from paradiso and man the interior is disapppinting in its stock configuration

i was able to fairly easily fix it but it's nuts to me that bethesda didn't give it a better interior by default. it doesn't even have any beds! and two of the connecting corridors lead literally nowhere, they connect to structural pieces instead of habs you can actually go into.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

why shoot pirates when i bought a wakizashi in neon that one or two hits most humans

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

thunderspanks posted:

I ran out of ammo and rescue axed pirates to death and it was more fun than I expected. Might actually restart with the Ronin build

i started using the axe when i ran outta ammo and then stuck with it as sort of a joke but now that i have all the melee perks unlocked, i can't even imagine going back to guns.

yeah i burn through medkits fast, but everything dies so quick that when i switch to a gun it feels like i'm trying to kill dudes by throwing pebbles at them. i only use guns now against turrets, which are far more effective at chewing me up before i can get close enough to slice them than any humans are.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i finished the game, did a quick ng+ run in about 3 hours, and then did an even quicker one. i got ng+ beat in under an hour the second time i did it, and that included a quick detour to neon to do a quest so i could buy my trusty wakizashi back.

on the third reset my armor got some fuckin kickass perks so i think i am gonna stay in this reality a good long while

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Al! posted:

the politics of starfield are deeply subversive, im pretty sure completely on accident. i think youre supposed to think of the uc or freestar as the best possible options in a dangerous galaxy but theyre both different flavors of bad liberal

the museum you walk through in the uc recruitment quest makes it very clear that you are not supposed to view the uc favorably at all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i wish they'd let you re-allocate skill points. i put points in lasers and ballistics but they were wasted because melee is just better than guns when you have the right skills.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i found a va'ruun blade that does almost twice as much damage as the wakizashi i was using that already shredded the gently caress outta everything :stare:

it is absolutely hilarious how good melee is in this game, i cannot imagine playing any other way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone else have a problem where you can only fire one shot during Phased Time? If you are full auto you can keep the burst going, but as soon as you stop you can't fire again.

Don't melee weapons not scale with level, meaning it falls behind as other weapons start getting Calibrated/Refined/Advanced versions? (same problem with industrial tool-weapons and grenades)

my var'uun dagger doesn't need to scale when it does 130 damage per strike, heals 10% of my health every kill, decreases my damage taken, has a high crit rate and a high chance to disarm enemies, all without taking ammo (i switched to melee at first entirely because i was always out of ammo because guns take a billion bullets to kill poo poo)

and melee weapons can come with modifiers on them as well, my current one doesn't have any but i had an axe that had a decent chance to set the enemy on fire every hit in my first playthrough

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ostrava posted:

I can't help but notice how often toilet paper shows up in lockers. This either means employees have to supply their own toilet paper or the owner of that specific locker feels the need to have extra on hand. There's some deeper lore here.

even hundreds of years in the future, the echoes of those who bought way too much toilet paper during covid lockdowns reverberates

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

Well, I did the Mantis quest... god I feel bad. :smith:

The part I feel bad about is that I just stole a ship from a dead cancer victim because her son sucked at solving puzzles. And I guess spacers too but eh.

The only other peaceful person there wound up dying because I was using Boom Boom and whoops my explosives switched on and caused a gas tank to fly right into his personal space and blow up oh no.

don't worry he tries to screw you over at the end anyway

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i really want to get good at the ship builder so i can make the outrider from shadows of the empire but :effort:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Necrothatcher posted:

I've read all over the place that something happens after 10-12 hours that makes this game good. I don't care about spoilers but what is it?

I've played for six hours and haven't gotten any pleasure or enjoyment out of it. The game is fine, I guess, but I feel like I'm pissing away hours I could be using to do something else.

i don't really know what that something is supposed to be, but i do think the game gets a lot better as soon as you gently caress off from new atlantis and cydonia. new atlantis specifically just sucks, navigating it is a chore and they really nailed making a huge city feel as empty and lifeless as possible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Archonex posted:

Neon is a far more interesting place. Nothing really happens in Cydonia or New Atlantis and it's mildly eerie Starship Troopers aesthetic that only is apparent if you look into the details of how fashy the UC comes off as.

Neon in FSC space is where the setting stops loving about with trying to trick you that this isn't a ____ punk genre game in disguise and makes it very clear that the Settled Systems are a godawful dystopia despite the UC's whole clean "service guarantees citizenship and more legally efficient exploitation of your labor" aesthetic that's only evident if you poke around more deeply into the implications of their past actions.

You can do all sorts of criminal activities at Neon including straight up getting mugged and have shoot outs on the outer hull with one of the gangs, and generally it is built with more depth. It's run by one of the major capitalists of the setting and he will loving murk you if you piss him off too. Also, it finally has the first real example of roleplaying the average person in a Bethesda open world game, since if you know how you can get a job at a factory and smuggle Aurora and just chill out in expensive rented housing while getting worked to the point of burnout. True millennial experience right there.

Sadly, Paradiso out past that isn't the golden saucer of the game despite it clearly having the layout to let you do all sorts of fun activities like volleyball, gambling and other stuff.

paradiso feels tragically half-baked, to me. it needed to be more ostentatious and silly, as is it just feels like an unremarkable resort in florida.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the more i think about it, the more i hate that you cannot re-allocate skill points or change your traits when you do ng+ and beyond

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JerikTelorian posted:

Aside from the somewhat railroaded intro you can be a space trucker. There are missions to move goods and people around the universe. You can even get a space trucker ballcap.

Yeah this is probably my biggest disappointment so far. I thought one of the benefits of the NG+ would be that I could try a new build without having to claw my way up from level 1. It would have been awesome to load NG+ and already be a skilled Ryujin Ninja with high stealth and security and Sniping.

I'm sure there will be a mod for it though.

yep

like there are multiple traits that have unique dialogue but also conflict with one another so you can only choose one, asking a player to start from scratch to actually see all that is bonkers for a game with a ng+ that repeats indefinitely. especially since you assume your role in each new universe after that universe's you dies, so who is to say that that universe's you would even have the same traits as the real you in the first place? maybe the you in the previous universe was a freestar settler but the you in the new one is a uc colonist. like, there, i just gave them a canonical in-game reason to let you change traits, i thought about this part of the game more than bethesda apparently did.

it's a good example of why this game frustrates me even as i really like a lot of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

trizzNPH posted:

tbf you are not the 'you' of your universe as starborn. the 'you' of the universe you go to in NG+ is said to have died before they could make it to the lodge unless i missed something that says otherwise, thats why they're all so shocked to see you

doesn't excuse the fact it would be really smart to allow a reroll of that on ng+ of course

right, but you are still assuming that role. so you could justify rerolls by saying that because you are assuming that you's role, you are playing the part of, say, a freestar settler because that's who that you was, and people in the freestar collective would be none the wiser that it isn't the you from that universe. given that starborn seem to have a lot of intrinsic knowledge about the multiverse, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

this all assumes you need an in-game justification for rerolls, which i don't think you do in the first place and it's just an unnecessary way to gate things off and necessitate a brand-new save, but rather the fact that it's this easy to make a justification for rerolls just highlights how dumb it is that you can't do them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ImpAtom posted:

Don't they explicitly say that you vanished, not died?

when you talk to the the emissary he says that you usually die in most universes he has been to so my assumption is that you are dead in most every universe you travel to, except for the ones where you are explicitly not meant to actually continue in which are pretty obvious when you reach them

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr. Pool posted:

My impression is that Bethesda went through great pains to make basically any interpretation correct (cowards path)

nah, at least as far as the uc goes they are very deliberately portrayed as real shitheads trying to appear as the grown-ups in the room. the museum you go through practically beats you over the head with it and overall the game makes it pretty obvious they are basically the united citizen federation from starship troopers (the movie version, ie very much not the good guys). i genuinely cannot see how anyone could possibly interperet them any other way. then again a lot of people didn't understand that starship troopers was satire, so.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ImpAtom posted:

You're introduced to them through your first real companion and an affable friendly guy, whereas the Crimson Fleet is introduced with you being told to murder someone and then when you step into their base you see one guy kill another over some credits.

nope, the actual introduction to the uc is the very first place you travel to after getting the frontier: a secret base built illegally in freestar space in which scientists were experimenting on a captive terrormorph that then escaped and killed all of them.

again, uc being bad really is not subtle, at all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ImpAtom posted:

Because the actual writing doesn't back that up. They are presented as 'hard choices' who can be convinced that working with other groups and doing the right thing is absolutely okay and they even praise and reward you for like exposing their lovely secret ops. Freestar is the same where the writing doesn't actually want to make you dislike them so you can go in and shoot one of their leaders in the loving face and everyone just goes "Huh well ok" despite nearly making GBS threads themselves earlier at the idea of saying something mean.

If you look at the actual world they set up, yes, the UC Is a loving monster atrocity and you'd be right to burn them to the ground. In actuality the worst you can do is kind of upset some people while everyone on both sides tries super hard to go "I hate those guys but MAYBE they're not as bad as I think."

If you look into it? Yes, absolutely. They have an incredibly bloody history and a lot of raw scumminess under the hood. Both they and the UC are tediously painted as "making hard choices" in slightly different flavors.

:psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oswald ownenstein posted:

Even the skyboxes in this game are terrible.

i have found that where you land on a body has little, if any, impact on the skybox and it drives me fuckin insane

i land on the side of a moon facing its parent planet to try and get a nice view of the gas giant it is orbiting and it isn't there, then i land in 20 other spots including poles and still can't see it, it's annoying. in fact i've not found a single moon that's the closest to its gas giant parent in which you can actually see said gas giant from any location on its surface. i wanna build a nice outpost to admire the views, starfield, c'mon.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Scoss posted:

I managed to hijack an Eclipse ship and got in the cockpit as I examined it. I saw that it was added to my "list" of ships in the ship examiner so I assumed I could just fly to a star yard and sell it, but when I got off-planet I was flying my own ship and this one was gone.

Do I need to manually lift-off in the stolen ship in order to actually claim it?

yes, it is dumb as hell

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Archonex posted:

Yeah, if I remember right the guy was the worst sort of techbro --- the accelerationist one that deliberately makes things worse to get to their "perfect" future faster. Then everyone that knew what he did went no contact on him in the aftermath of the catastrophes he caused and he proved himself marginally better than Elon Musk by realizing what a poo poo stain of a human being he was and swore off the artifact for someone else to find and put to a better use.

Then we go and just gently caress off to an alternate reality instead. :lol:

ng+ spoiler in one of my resets when i was tryna beat ng+ really fast, the hunter said something that seemed to imply that that iteration of the hunter was the dude what made the grav drives and doomed earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

companion spoilers: i just found betty last night and holy poo poo she just constantly lobs grenades at everything and kills poo poo absurdly quickly. i can board enemy ships with crew ten levels above me then just sit behind cover as she murders them all for me. she also killed a whole herd of animals before i even realized they were attacking. i heard her yell, turned around, saw an explosion and they all fell down as betty taunted them. she fuckin rocks lmao