Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zzulu posted:

Looks ...okay? I guess! The lack of aliens is disturbing

From what I hear, Starfield's going for a slightly more hard sci-fi feel, hence the spacesuits and spaceships that look a generation (if that) removed from what we have now, and no funny forehead/starfish aliens, just humans as far as the eye can see. Which I can certainly understand is a turnoff to be sure, but it's a definite plus for me; in my experience, most sci-fi aliens might as well just be humans in rubber suits. Personally, my biggest fear will be like I said come in! posted:

I said come in! posted:

This is what I really wanted, but it sounds like Starfield won't even be that. It'll be more like No Man's Sky, so all of the cool side quests, lore, and world building that we've come to associate with Elder Scrolls and Fallout, will be gone in favor of endless exploration. The question will be if that exploration will actually be worth while and interesting. What was shown yesterday raises a lot of red flags.

As far as I can tell, the main plot with all the factions and whatnot might be reasonably fleshed out, but all the side stuff might be procgen, with tiny little tidbits here and there, and that'd be a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lawman 0 posted:

I can't wait to mod it.

The boobs on the crab bug aliens better be ZZZ-sized or I'm downvoting you on the Nexus :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bethesda should hire kinggath (the Sim Settlements guy) to do the space base construction stuff. I'm not even joking :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Crow posted:

I would be very surprised if the planets and procgen weren't dynamically generated when you enter/leave an area. Said another way i dont think you could fly/run around the planet. Itll just end up saving any region you land at and/or mark or build at and the rest will be random. Knowing bethesda thatll be the first memory / space leak as you save to many locations on a world.

The way I see it, all planets (both pregen and procgen) will comprise of a single zone- story planets will comprise of a single hub, while procgen planets will have a single landable cell, and for both, exiting said hub or cell will throw a player into the 'exiting planet' load screen. No matter where you begin entry on the world, you'll always enter a loading screen followed by landing at the same zone every time. Enter Quackulon 5 at its northern pole? Landing Zone A. Land on the equator? Landing Zone A, and so on, that kind of thing. Otherwise, what's to stop me from say, making a colony right next to a supposed story hub and then flying off to find that it's all smoke and mirrors? What's to stop me from making a thousand haggard colonies on a single world, then repeating the process on other planets until I'm killed by an exploding computer? I don't really see how they could do otherwise while still remaining realistic.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if there will be an option to take on randomly generated missions.

I can't see how there wouldn't be. We'll probably be getting updates on 'interesting' planets and pirate outposts from PR357-0N the moment we step out of our cryopods or whatever :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's a long shot, but I hope Bethesda takes some cues from Sim Settlements as to how the system should work. I also spent hours making buildings in Fo4, but after Sim Settlements 2 I just can't go back, though that it mostly the fact that the mod's buildings look so much better than anything I can make :smith:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

frajaq posted:

just checked it out and holy moly :eyepop:

The trailer for Sim Settlements 2: Chapter 2 got me more hyped to play more Fallout 4 than any of the trailers for Fallout 4's official DLCs ever did, it's that good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, while the Silver Shroud quest is amazing, there's too little outside of that in the main quest unless you go against the Brotherhood and/or the Institute (Railroad players feel free to :smugbert: here).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FuzzySlippers posted:

I hope they have some kinda magic whether psionics or Cyberpunk style hacking or whatever.

I think you can handwave a lot away just by saying 'nanomachines did it'. Projectile attack? Destructive nanoswarm. Healing? Restorative nanomachines.

Or maybe the Prothean obelisk space macguffin made you a wizard, Iunno.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anything been said about weapon customization/crafting? Not gonna lie, I liked Fo4's weapon and crafting system because of brokebrains, I guess :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DaysBefore posted:

Gonna play the poo poo out of this terrible game and love every moment of it

Same, though heavily-modded and after a few patches, of course.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bad Purchase posted:

i finished fallout 4 and never engaged with the settlement system at all, except for the starter one in your neighborhood, which perhaps is why i have a somewhat positive memory of the game

Different strokes for different folks- I only reinstalled Fo4 because I wanted to play Sim Settlements 2 :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

REDLINE is an amazing movie :colbert:

:hai:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

buglord posted:

But then that Todd guy lies a lot and I saw the Oblivion pre-release demo narrated by him and lmao I would have been pissed if I had saw that before playing the game.

:same: I'll be honest with everyone here, I'm probably going to use you all as test subjects before buying the game :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Google Butt posted:

is anyone else considering playing this game?

Serious post: Yes, but not for a while. Gonna wait for Bethesda/the community to fix the game up proper, maybe wait for a Sim Settlements-style mod, and see where how things are from there. I'm also one of those weirdos who likes being spoiled on game storylines, so I'm gonna wait for everyone to reveal to me that Space Alduin is your Space Dad, but also your Space Son, whom you must Space Find.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's just a matter of personal taste; I vastly prefer Fo4 and its more modern elements than Skyrim's fantasy stuff. It's just that fantasy themes are perennially more popular than their sci-fi/post-apoc counterparts. The settlement system might have also spoiled things for people as well; I know I've read some complaints about it here and elsewhere on the web, and I didn't get along with it either until Sim Settlements 2 came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Are books confirmed in Starfield (a la TES)? I hope to read a futuristic "The Lusty Argonian Maid", tentacules-implied, I'm calling it.

A tentacule polycule sounds really cule