Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

should have partnered with Omega for a $3k special edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

30 FPS looks real lovely on my OLED, something about 30 FPS camera panning just makes it a juddery mess. also it feels a lot worse but the judder thing makes some games unplayable

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Zelda TOTK running between 20-30 fps at sub 1080p - GOTY
Starfield running at 30 fps - absolute trash what the gently caress

if Starfield even approaches ToTK quality I will happily eat my words

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I hadn't watched much Starfield stuff until this recent video, but I was really surprised to see that you actually fly the ship at all. I always assumed it would be like a Destiny ship that looks cool in cinematics and loading screens lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What will those computer wizards with their "interactive multimedia games" think of next? I have a feeling this jazzy "sci fi"will be the cat's pajamas with the kids

nah Gene Park wrote that article, he's good people

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

I will play and enjoy, but the more info comes out, the more its clearly Noman's Fallout with all the Beth jank ontop. Temper expectations etc

I mean I can't imagine how you could have different expectations at this point, we know the kind of game they make. This is gonna be one of those in space. Though I do hope it will have a slightly less jank since MS knows they have to nail this

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm gonna download this game and then remember how much I hate Bethesda Dialogue

there has to be a better way to talk to characters than them looking dead-eyed into the camera while reciting paragraphs at you? I never hated talking to people in Mass Effect but maybe that's because your character wasn't mute

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

why would I need a three week head start to preload a game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sure they coulda gotten this game up to 60fps on the Series X considering how well the Series S is reported to run!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sponges posted:

I was really looking forward to this and it sounds awful haha

come on, you know that if you were actually looking forward to this you shouldn't have clicked on this thread

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'm going to enjoy doing the Bethesda thing in a sci-fi context. But the ship flying is so weird and disappointing, you're basically just flying around in front of a big pretty static image. Why bother?

I guess they wanted SOME ship piloting in this game and this is the best they could do without building actual solar systems to fly around in. Though maybe they should have considered doing exactly that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elite Dangerous wouldn't work without being able to casually reach an insane level of speed, but it makes the game playable and fun. just write some lore around it and call it a day.

though I'm sure that's years of extra development to create actually flyable systems

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

netizen posted:

On series x it looks a lot like Cyberpunk to me. Even the way people walk around cities is very cyberpunkish.

Totally agree, I was just thinking that. Especially the environments. I think it's because they have this big futuristic architecture, but the basic lighting makes it all look kind of cartoonish.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wish there was a way to just pick stuff up to examine it instead of “taking” it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BG3 is great but Starfield lets you tilt your head Up and actually look around, which is nice

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

you cannot slide down the big UC tower

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lmao at your parents showing up unannounced to the Constellation HQ.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

major dealbreaking gripe: I hate how followers say “bye” when I end dialogue. We’re literally running around together!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm okay with the general structure of the game and how the spacefaring works. It's the same issues I had in every Bethesda game that's bringing it down for me. some things off the top of my head:

The dialogue is so unnatural.

A million things littered around the world that you can hoover up for no apparent reason - why is that still a thing?

Why can't all my resources be "stored" somewhere and available at all times instead of taking up inventory space and forcing me to juggle them between me, my companions and my storage boxes? It's anti-fun and really makes me not want to bother.

There's a lot of good things in this game and the amount of work they put in to gussy parts of it up is evident. But this dated engine is such an albatross.

Other gripes:

- Needs a more detailed journal or mission tracker

- LOCAL MAPS, jfc every space station is a drat maze as it is

- super minor but why does my companion follow me around the Lodge like a lost puppy? let's just meet up outside when I'm ready to leave

- some kind of Sparrow-like thing to get around faster would be welcome

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 4, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this cowboy town is really dumb and out of place imo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

Holy poo poo, I got so used to consoles playing at 60 fps the last several years that 30 is not only a travesty, it's making me sick. The weird jagged whirl that happens when you turn is giving me motion sickness. I have GPU, so I tried it on PC and it works fine (and looks great) but I'm not even halfway through BG3 and that's what I'll be playing on my PC when I don't want to sit on the couch.

OLED?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah OLEDs look terrible at 30fps when panning the camera. something to do with lack of motion blur or something

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

shrike82 posted:

lol it's pretty funny when you take the train on new atlantis and the animation shows your companion being left behind

this is the kind of poo poo that I just don't understand how it made it through without anyone flagging it like "Hey this is weird and should be fixed"

it's not a far flung planet, it's literally the first city you go to and spend a lot of time in

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm having the most fun rolling into random stations, just creeping around doing my thing. But sometimes the classic environmental storytelling seems a little thin. Need more terminals, notes, logs, etc.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

There are little dialogue touches that could make everything feel better and more natural.

I mentioned the thing where when you end a conversation with a companion, they say something like "so long". uhh, not going anywhere, we're running around together.

when you walk into the lodge everyone has some random canned line. Coe just greeted me with "Any day you make it through is a victory." Uh, yeah, nice to see you too. How about a simple "Hey, glad to have you back" or "how did it go?" or something like that programmed to hit when you return?

actually, these random canned lines happen constantly when you're around other characters and they always seem super out of place.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

These main missions are lame. Go grab the thing and bring it back.

Last time I brought back a fragment and stuck it in the lodge, nobody even reacted. I expected a little cut scene at least thanking me for my dangerous mission and finding Andreja. Ungrateful fucks

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wellll poo poo I did not expect to get caught with some contraband and conscripted by the UC Navy to be an undercover mole against the Crimson fleet. I was hoping it would give me the option to inform the Commander how many of those fuckers I’ve already blasted just exploring places. actually a pretty cool development.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i think it would be a cool "feature" if a quest only went into my quest log if i, the player, actively indicated by pressing a button or something that i was actually interested in that quest. i dont like this "every random thing you hear goes in the log" nonsense at all

will it notify you if you're nearby a quest that you could follow up on? like say I talk to a guy and he says do a thing at planet X and I forget, but I go to planet X later.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tommy the Newt posted:

This is the weakest defence of a game design choice I've read today. Well done. Outer Worlds was set in space, Outer Wilds was set in space, Mass Effect was set in space, Heat Signature is set in space... etc for all space games that exist.

Outer Wilds is my favorite game ever but it also works because it’s a tiny little solar system

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing this and I thought I was going to bounce right off of it, but I keep firing it up. Despite MenuField and fast travel overkill, I'm having fun bopping around the galaxy and doing poo poo.

This is probably a dumb question and I know they're not really the same kind of game, but how does Starfield compare to Mass Effect: Andromeda? I never played it but the pitch for both games would seemingly be the same, albeit less sandboxy for ME:A. Are they completely incomparable?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. Didn't realize until now that I could manually pick up, rotate, and place objects.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just ran into my parents at the club.

Wtf are they doing on Neon, anyway. Go home and watch cable news

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Quick question: if I commander a ship, what happens to the frontier and all my stuff on it? Will it magically become accessible through menus or will it despawn or float out here in orbit forever?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

its in a menu when you go to the ship tech people

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

All your stuff goes into the new ship, which sometimes overloads it. You can switch ships at a landing pad talking to the guy who lets you buy and sell ships. But you’ll need to register the one you steal, I think, which costs most of the sell price.

Got it. Thanks! And thanks for the ship, Malai Liskova.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This Ryujin quest line just got real stupid. “Sneak into the building to secretly plant a device on the COO’s computer even if you have to incapacitate half of our security guards” I understand it’s probably just an excuse for a stealth mission but it doesn’t make sense and the stealth ain’t good enough and there’s no loving map so I’m flying blind

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

whenever I think about Starfield, I think about the "ship travel" in front of a huge planet that doesn't actually move and it just bums me out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t get why they got so close to copying No
Mans sky but just not the one good thing that that game does. I know the reason is that the engine can’t handle ‘real’ ship flying but still.

Yeah I understand "why". It's a space themed RPG, not a space flight simulator. I get it. It's just that we live in a post Elite/NMS world and it's a little glaringly obvious when you can fly the ship a little but can't really get into outer space.

it's funny, all this thinking about Starfield has kinda made me want to reinstall it again and give it another go. gotta see how the parents are doing

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 17, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Booted the game up and I’m currently in the middle of murdering my way through my corporation’s office building for some reason that I can’t remember. I’m not even sure if I should be going up or down. I feel like Lenny from Memento

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. I finish the Background Checks quest where I infiltrated the corporate Ryujin building (that I am ostensibly an employee of), alerted dozens of guards and killed at least a few.

then a few minutes later I waltz back to the building in the same clothes I've been wearing this whole time, and it's back to being populated with normal employees and guards greeting me like "hey sup".

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've maintained for a while that the space system, as dire as it is, could have been done pretty competently within the restrictions that they have.

First off, cut way the gently caress back on the total number of planets. Sorry, Todd, your talking point about 1000 worlds or whatever needs to go.

Next, link them via loading screens warp stations or stargates or transwarp portals or whateverthefuck you want to call them. I'm pretty sure you could literally make this a door in space as far as the engine mechanics go. Just put a coat of paint on it so it doesn't look like that. Little portals between POIs in the same system (say traveling from Earth to Neptune) and big jump gates or whatever for travel between systems.

Now that you've created entrances and exits to your space maps, spool up some random ship traffic to give the illusion of activity. Plop down a few space stations, asteroid fields, maybe debris from that big war that happened a few decades ago, etc. Basically create some interesting "terrain" in space that players need to get through when going from point A to B, and which will also create more interesting battlefields when there's a fight. Conveniently it also gives you some blind spots to spawn poo poo in. Oh no we didn't detect pirates behind that asteroid, here they come!

I'll add that none of this is interesting or novel, I'm basically just describing the way that a poo poo ton of space games worked twenty years ago. This is all real basic meat and potatoes poo poo that they should have been aware of just from doing the most cursory level of research on the genre that they were dipping their toes in.

Yeah these are good ideas.