Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm gonna be smart enough not to preorder, but bethesda jank just gets me the right way so I'm looking forward to it.

I want to bust into an abandoned factory and see two skeletons sitting at a table in front of some playing cards, one reaching for a drink and the other for a knife.

I want to fiddle with random weapon modules tweaking poo poo so I can stealth around with a medium range weapon clicking on heads.

I want some npc to tell me to go to <insert place here> to collect <insert item here> because all I need is an excuse to get off the main path a bit and explore some interior.

What I'm saying is I like bad games and am still looking forward to this one. Although the setting itself didn't really do anything for me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's probably within the bounds of modding. You could probably rig something like that up in Skyrim / Fallout 4 right now, so it's not a stretch to think it's out of bounds for Starf.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought Fallout 3 felt like floaty garbage, just like Oblivion, but I really liked Fallout 4 in the combat department. Just clicked for me, but I know a lot of people weren't too into Fallout 4's combat.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Todd used Mechwarrior games as an inspiration for the pace and systems of their space battles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nuts and Gum posted:

Oh god is this the path to Star citizenry?

Nah. We all know the game will be jank and bad and overhyped but admit we'll like it anyways.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if it was the interview or the gameplay trailer, but Todd did make note that you can land anywhere on any planet. Taking him at his word at least, but it should at least imply that each planet is more than a single cell.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some people froth at the mouth at the mention of Todd Howard.

I think it's common enough that players don't necessarily like the direction he's taken some of the later games, but it's mostly just memeing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No way this will be a star citizen. By all accounts there's already something playable, and it doesn't have the endless amount of nerds money laundering funding it for perpetuity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sandepande posted:

Has Bethesda been accused of crunch or Activision-like behaviour? I've not come across any, which might just as well be my own fault.

Some teams have reported some pretty bad crunch conditions. And there were accusations about the Doom team not paying their musician but still using his work.

Would have to dig for some details but they don't look clean across the board.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Even people who don't seem to like Todd generally describe him as a nice person and good boss, so I generally think he's probably a decent guy to work for.

Honesty, regardless of what anyone thinks of Todd's game design, everything I hear about him sounds like he's great to work for, and puts his teams first. Hearing what they went through with Morrowind and what he's done so they don't have to deal with that again sounds really good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CommissarMega posted:

Has anything been said about weapon customization/crafting? Not gonna lie, I liked Fo4's weapon and crafting system because of brokebrains, I guess :shobon:

You liked it because it was actually a pretty cool system.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DaysBefore posted:

Gonna play the poo poo out of this terrible game and love every moment of it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The only mod for Gamebryo games that I find it impossible to live with is the unoffocial bugfix mod that seems to exist for every game made in that engine.

Case in point, this is what's fixed for Skyrim.

As valuable as this is, the skyrim unofficial patch also veers into balance and content changes that are unneccessary, and against the original design intent. A lot of the fixes are also so trivial it would be impossible to know there was an issue with them without a deep dive into the creation kit scrutinizing every detail. A bunch of other things like text/grammar changes that incorrectly fix lines, making them worse.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 8, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Azhais posted:

Better watch out, with talk like that Arthmoor gonna get you banned from the Nexus

He kicked himself off the nexus already so I should be in the clear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It took me a while to get into the F4 settlement system, but I really dug into it during my last F4 survival playthrough. Looking forward to see how they iterate on it for Starfield, and I can see myself really appreciate building a fortress or some home in the next ES game in 2040.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if it's because I'm bad at shooters or put too much time into creation kit games, but I quite enjoy the gunplay in Fallout 4. Movement overall feels pretty good to me, but some things while sprinting is jank.

But really I just want to make a spaceship to fly to some planet to make a base, and then go shoot some nameless bandits raiders space bandits so I can loot them and sell the spoils back to town, and repeat. If I get a sensible chuckle because there's a space skeleton reaching for a space beer in some derelict base, all the better.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've seen conflicting reports that the recommended is for 1080/1440 at a "decent" framerate, or that no performance has been linked to the recommendation yet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I played Fallout 4 on release, and at least with that I didn't run into any noticeable bugs. Thought the whole thing was solid tbh. I'm sure there's a huge list of bugs someone could pull up from that era, but it felt miles better than what I've seen with Skyrim or Fallout 3.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It sounds like the base tile size that gets generated is 1x1km, and then planets are just collections of tiles. Not the same tile over and over, but they have a bunch of different tiles that get planted down.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They won't have load screens tile by tile. Current games already work on cells like that, even if they're more hand crafted.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Maybe someone will find a way to port the dragon flying mod from skyrim into it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One thing I don't like about what we've seen from the previews is that it seems there are very limited equipment slots. Makes enough sense, of course. You've mostly got different space suits and whatever you got in your hands. But one of the key draws for beth games for me has been the upgrading and customizing of all the different gear slots you fill.

I hope there's still something involved there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even Fallout 4 had a decent number of slots. Not much less than Skyrim.

Clothes, chest, L arm, R arm, L leg, R leg, head. Had some decent room to play around there.

I really liked the whole customization system in F4 as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I rarely used power armour in F4 but I loved the implementation. I brought it out on special occasions like going through the glowing sea, or going after specific bosses that would warrant being a giant badass.

I typically aimed for fast or stealthy gameplay though which clashed with power armour.

Was needing power cores enough of a disadvantage in using them as your primary loadout, or were they plentiful enough they didn't matter?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Going from Skyrim’s barebones housing system to F4s settlement does make me look forward to the iterations that will come with Starf’s systems. Love building me some bases.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All of the above.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
UT2k4 was life. I still fire it up and play in big bot games now and then. Because it's still awesome, and because I'm bad and antisocial.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't want to talk to any redliners.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn't Fallout 4 released without much ahead of time? I didn't even know it was coming until a friend asked if I was going to pick up in the next week. It's possible I just missed all the news and hype.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
TESVI: Starf

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wealth beyond measure, spacelander.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'll be absolutely fine if all system to system travel is fast travel. It'll just be more akin to Daggerfall than Morrowind.

I'm sure what space/ship content is there will have ample opportunity to trigger just reaching planets or systems, and I'm not really that interested in pointing at a star, hitting warp speed, and waiting for 5 minutes. Navigating around warp corridors or whatever, ala Freelancer, has the risk of just feeling like busywork or padding. Not sure what other options are there.

It's not that I mind the slower gameplay. I play a stupid modset in Skyrim with no fast travel, all the survival mechs, and a severely reduced carry weight so basically everything is slowed down. But getting around in space is different than getting around Bethesda's other environments.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If it's like any other Bethesda game, running with a companion is a huge downgrade when you're in an internal cell. They'll either be behind you, shooting through you while you try to retreat, or standing in front of you, blocking you from moving forward.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jabo, a UK streamer that mostly does Bethesda stuff, has a review copy.

So unless he fell through the cracks it's not a complete UK crackdown.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In my more involved Skyrim mod setups I give gold and arrows weight, reduce my max carry weight, and reduce the amount of carry increase on level up.

I enjoy the planning, prep, and scavenging aspects of a survival run of the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gategate is just the tip of the iceberg with him too.

He's retroactively changed permissions on things he's done. Had a fit when Nexus started allowing mod packs. Threw DMCA threats around for people making mods with similar but independent features.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a few hours in and I finally ran into a bug.

I walked into a shop with a companion in tow. As soon as I loaded in my companion just started sprinting forward into the wall and wouldn't stop.

10/10

Otherwise it's running pretty well for me. More or less what I expected so far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Negotiating yourself out of content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Morrowind still has the best lockpicking.

e: so it's not a drive by shitpost.

I don't actually mind the Skyrim or F4 lockpicking. Oblivion's seems fine by never worked for me. Starfield's was actually interesting but got way too tedious, way too fast, when I'd spend a couple minutes on a puzzle and make out with less value than the cost of the pick. Skyrim locks are super quick to deal with at least.

But what I like about Morrowind's is:
It's real time. Time freezes in the other games when you try to pick something, which lets you spend a ton of time on a hard lock in the brief second the guard turns around. In Morrowind, you need to watch your back because the NPCs are going to keep moving.

It's also character based. I'm sure most of us could solve a master level lock in Skyrim at 1 skill, even if it takes a few picks. Same as the others, although Fallout 4 will gate lock difficulty by perks.

With Morrowind, if I have a lovely skill and a lovely pick, I can't unlock difficult locks. It makes it a skill you need to invest in, and having multiple tiers of picks based on the situation expands that even more.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Deus Ex is another good one, yeah. They were real time and you just expended resources. Couldn't just quickly pause the game (ok, you actually could) so you could pick in peace. Had a bit of an inventory investment as well as you needed multiple picks based on your skill level.