Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
what are the chances they gently caress up the modding scene for this by going all in on their paid for creator club bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Todd Howard interview here if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-PV-sSbXs

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really hope the story isn’t like Skyrim, I don’t want another ‘you’re the only person in the world that can help us’ bullshit. I want to begrudgingly help people and make them pay.

Oh god is this the path to Star citizenry?

you're almost certainly going to be one of the only people in the universe who has visions when they touch the artifacts, hence why the main explorer faction needs you specifically

whatever just ignore those dorks and join the cool pirate faction

apparently there are boarding actions and you can steal other ships so hell yeah

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Popete posted:

Overall the story sounds less "save the galaxy" and more of a "discover an ancient alien race" but who knows.

it'll probably end up being both but oh man i would love if the epic conclusion of the main quest is just you getting a co-author credit on a research paper detailing social habits of a long dead alien race and nothing else

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Back Hack posted:

I’m going to say no, and I know I’m going to get some raised eyebrows, but knowing Bethesda, the engine, how they manage their teams, and all their years selling their games on lies. The vast majority of this game is going to rely heavily on fast travel here, there, and back again as the backbone of the game. Remember, this is Bethesda, grand masters of the term wide as ocean, deep as a puddle. This is the developer that still hasn’t cracked passive loading and has to have a hard load when walking in and out of buildings to this day.

You got stop thinking of this as a real space game, you’re only setting yourself up for disappointment. Because as of right now, the way I see it, this game has more in common with Fallout Frontier than No Man’s Sky.

E: sorry, quoted the wrong post, phone posting and what have you.

yeah almost certainly this

you'll be able to walk around your ship while it's landed or docked but whenever it's moving through space it's either going to be a cutscene or you're going to be actively piloting it

Mr. Crow posted:

4 cities lmao gonna be a turd

About 30 "fully voiced" npcs in the big cities wow todd!!!!

to be fair they are saying 200k voice lines which is a pretty big step up from skyrim's 60k so i'm lowkey optimistic about scale of actual content in this game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Unless there's something that's going to happen while flying, like getting in a sudden dog fight or something on the planet, traipsing around the planet is just a time sink to when you land and go do stuff. Let's just get to the doing the stuff faster. :)

they haven't shown any in atmosphere flight that wasn't a cutscene so it's probably not happening

my guess is ship flight is going to be restricted to instanced zones in space with more or less static skyboxes and some kind of ftl drive cutscene/loading screen for actually moving around in system

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yes but think of the modding potential

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Horsegirl futanari anal vore just doesn't tickle me like it used to ok.

but this time it's horsegirl futanari anal vore in space

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

The four cities are New Atlantis

Space Whiterun

Cyberpunk 2310

and <TBD>

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Starfield has some interesting sounding skills such as Weight Lifting, Gastronomy and Dueling.

most of the skills i managed spot in the trailer were just like +10% to pistol damage and the like but hopefully there's some actually interesting perks mixed in there

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

He specifically mentioned it in context of "managing systems, like power distribution" so hoping its more tactile.

you can see in the bottom left when flying a ship there is a power management thing where you can distribute energy between laser weapons, ballistic weapons, missiles, engine, shields and the grav drive

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

In the interview he mentions something about how when you're working at a true planetary scale there's not much functional difference between something that big and infinite, which I took to mean that you just get an infinitely generating procedural landscape that keeps generating as you move through it.

If they need to there'll be limits like you run out of oxygen if you go to far from your ship or something like that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I think the planets will use good enough smoke and mirrors for 99% of players except crazy people who will try and circumvent every planet to prove it's just a video game or something.

The easiest test is probably going to be landing outside of but relatively close to a city to see if you can walk to it but I'd guess that's not possible.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah i'm very much operating on the assumption that if it wasn't shown it's probably not in the game

extrapolating too much from what we have is just setting up for disappointment

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

why not? handcrafted areas on an otherwise procedural planet that is all one area is perfectly doable, elite did it with the engineer bases.

because i think that would imply that the world generation maps onto a fully contiguous sphere, and that you could theoretically walk around the entire world and eventually come to the settlement from the other direction

but i think todd was implying in that interview that when you land, the game generates an infinite procedural landscape for you to wander around in, which would have to mean that every landing coordinate is its own isolated cell

basically every time you land somewhere not handcrafted the game just generates a new minecraft world for you to wander around in

that's my guess anyway, could absolutely be completely wrong here, but this feels like the easiest technical solution for what they're going for

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I really don't follow how you got that interpretation. It sounded to me like he was just saying that once you're at a planetary scale, 1 world, 100 worlds or 1000 worlds are all effectively infinite.

yeah i went back and listened to it and you might be right honestly

he also said they might do a deep dive into it to explain how it all works so hopefully we find out fairly soon

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

and what did they use chainsaws on mars for anyway?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Or just have the mining laser kill everything because why not

You can briefly see one of the NPC's using a mining laser as a weapon in the trailer so it's definitely possible!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

New info and a first look at the dialogue system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNimT0O8LE

lmao at the adoring fan trait

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm interested in the possible starting locations, especially the one that gives you a little home on a small moon. I don't know if we're talking Kame House small or if I'll have a biome I can explore, but that's the kind of thing that's going to be fairly fun in the vanilla game and just nuts with mods. All these Bethesda games are strongly limited by what systems are in the base game - like fallout 4 and skyrim are very similar games but one has Vats and the other has Magic and that really sets the direction of where the mods go, so seeing things like alternate starts with property in vanilla is exciting.

as far as i can tell those aren't starting locations, they're just unique points of interest that you can go visit in the open world

you always start in the same location and have to go through the standard bethesda tutorial quest though

e: guaranteed there'll be a mod to fix that inside of a week

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Definitely wasn't expecting to go to Sol. Especially not early on, I assumed something like that would be a big endgame goal.

it sounds like earth is gone or at least unaccessible though which isn't surprising

i wonder if there'll be many more poi's there beyond the mars base we saw

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, filmed in the same office as the todd interview. pretty sure the same character was doing the interview as well.

yeah these q&a's are basically just going to be filler until the next big trailer i think

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

this game is gonna be such a massive piece of poo poo. but it might be a fun one like fallout 4.

oh most definitely but think of how good the mods are going to be in like 2030

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

The Starfield footage where the player character unloads half of a futuristic P90 SMG's magazine into an enemy that had no reaction to it before falling over dead did not inspire a lot of confidence in me that this game will even meet the moderate gameplay heights of The Outer Worlds.

the difference is that this game will get mods that can fix that

e: anyone looking for a good game out of the box instead of a good platform for years of mods is looking at the game wrong imo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

it's very funny that they made a big point of touting their brand new much improved animation system while the animations on screen look identical to the ones they've been using since oblivion

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

isndl posted:

Where are we going to find buckets to put over the heads of NPCs?

buckets have no use in space but fortunately you can just twist npc's space helmets 180 degrees

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

can't wait to finally play this game so i can airlock all these constellation nerds

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Question they didn't answer. If I make known my plans to make myself some fine leathers clothes out of adorable life on a planet, will a group of kids and their pets be randomy generated to foil my evil schemes?

I have a lot of evil schemes, I'm not sure how I feel about them continually being foiled.

see my vest
see my vest
made from real qhwa'nxi chest

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Aphex- posted:

You land on a seemingly barren and deserted planet only to discover what looks like the remnants of an ancient long dead civilization, a giant silver pyramid gleaming though the dust and haze.

You approach the structure and as you get closer you make out what looks like alien writing on the side.

"Bass Pro Shops".

cyberpunk is unironically doing this wrap it up starfailures

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

jedi survivor was an amd exclusive game and hoo boy did it run like poo poo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

it's not a space ak it's just a regular ak that happens to be in space

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Anno posted:

Yeah to be clear I'm not judging the space AK I just think it's funny. Hopefully there's a space 1911 and space M1 Garand as well, I would use them.

iirc we saw footage of an ak, a 1911, and an as val in the starfield direct so those are all confirmed

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

what thread is this

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

i heard worf had his 23rd rib removed so that he could suck his own second dick

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

see that bear? you can gently caress it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

starfield is actually a prequel to the entire elder scrolls series

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

It seems to be finding alien artifacts to hopefully find another intelligent alien civilizations, which as along as they don't add something like a "oh and the universe is going to end in a week if you don't find them aliens" or whatever, sounds like a very decent plot for an open world. Interesting enough that you might want to actually see it through, but not character specific, or immediately important enough that it makes no sense that no sane person wouldn't drop everything to complete it as soon as humanly possible.

They might actually be learning!!!

sorry pal but there's definitely a rival organisation with evil plans racing to get to the artifacts before you do

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also it's very likely that the numbers in the preview do not represent the final prices at all

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Morrowwind spell creator or bust imo.

slamming ten thousand consecutive intelligence potions and creating a spell that does 9999 fire damage in area 9999 kiloparsec(s) for 1 second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i turned down gale's stupid magic show and every time i talk to him he still professes his love for me and talks about that night we spent together

someone tried reading my mind once and the game gave me the option to block them out by flooding my thoughts with my lust for gale

all the romance flags in that game are on a hair trigger