Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Will we be able to capture the alien creatures and sell them rehome them in our personal exotic zoos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ulio posted:

Well apparently this is in Creation Engine 2. But imo I still can't tell the difference in terms of scale between Creation engine and gamebryo. So I doubt this is much different. It just seems like a very incremental improvement but with the same flaws of it's previous versions.

They've been slowly ripping out and replacing various chunks of the engine (lighting, scripting, character modeling, UI, etc.) over the course of multiple games so you have that Ship of Theseus question as to whether it's the same engine. Their data formats have largely remained the same though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are the same animations being reused albeit with support for new interactions.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I guess my expectations are just different after 20 years of playing video games but I see the touted 1000 planets as a huge negative and a big red flag. A lot of the reasons for that have been said in the thread but I just don't see the point of putting a big barren moon or whatever in the game that I can technically land on anywhere I want and go spelunking when the reason for me being there is a visible from space quest marker that says "GO HERE FOR QUEST" and then I sit through a cutscene and a stealth section and I'm off again.

The colony thing is absolutely going to be you dropping a few boxes on a planet and you can come back to collect resources every few in-game weeks, and it's just 30 people homesteading instead of a glorious undertaking showcasing human perseverance and surviving in hostile environments and the cultural and societal challenges it brings.

That number of planets is mostly filler, but at the same time it'll be extremely popular with the settlement building crowd who get to have giant sandboxes to gently caress around with. I expect there's going to be "coolest planets to build a vacation home" type lists going pretty much immediately after launch. Once you factor in modding it's a massive boon there as well because it gives a ton of space to work in with minimal risk of conflicts. Not everyone cares about that sort of thing as can be evidenced by the complaints people have about Fallout settlements, but there are a substantial number of people who put hundreds of hours into their little scrap metal outposts too.

With any luck the random encounter system is easy to add things to so we can add more variety over time. In retrospect I don't know if I've ever seen anyone add to the FO4 random encounter lists which this is probably based on though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

people add stuff to the encounter system in both skyrim and fallout all the time. My skyrim modded game always has imperial, thalmor and stormcloak patrols going from their little hideyholes, patrolling, getting into fights with assorted wildlife and each other.

Yeah that was all vanilla as I recall, though I remember mods to scale the numbers way up so it was dozens of NPCs instead of a few. Maybe there's stuff that I didn't notice because of how seamless it was in which case kudos to the modders.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Where are we going to find buckets to put over the heads of NPCs?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe he was fighting on the ship when suddenly a load screen kicked in because they don't simulate atmospheric flight. :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012

I said come in! posted:

So wait, do they mean they create a kilometer of land and then it repeats over and over again but each tile generates new activities? How big is each planet then? Cause a kilometer is not that big?

It's the same cell system they used in previous games for the overworld, they just extended it to allow procedural generation at runtime and wrapping the edges.

Makes me wonder if the world is technically toroidal or something though because square cells don't map cleanly into a sphere.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sandwich lady got her self-insert as a full NPC, I see.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Give me a cargo lifter that moves at walking speed only but lets me loot the entirety of the abandoned robotics labs down to the copper in the walls.

isndl
May 2, 2012

afflictionwisp posted:

I had a closet full of skulls in Oblivion :hfive:

I used the Master level zombie spell in Skyrim to build a collection of corpses in my basement (they were really good for hauling infinite weight of loot home). This was all well and good until one of them stopped being a corpse. :tinfoil:

isndl
May 2, 2012
The real important question is whether or not the alien fauna have high definition rear end in a top hat textures, or do we need the goon that demanded horse assholes to write another complaint.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe they'll have a bunch of romanceable generic companions like Skyrim had in addition to the fancy companions.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

people really wanted to romance the vampire chick from skyrim.

We should've been able to just lop her head off at the very beginning and saved the world just like that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Dynamite fishing. :hai:

isndl
May 2, 2012
A real salesman would have immediately promised it as DLC!

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

you can't drag and drop things, they went back to sliders.

Gonna make a mod called More Sliders, it'll add small lizards and miniature burgers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
One of the problems with character builds in Bethesda games is that there's not really a choice beyond 'what bonus do you want right now', because with enough time you'll have every perk. It's nice in that you can never ruin your character with poorly considered decisions, but also means character builds are more about the equipment you use rather than your character traits, begging the question of why some perk choices exist and whether they actually improve build diversity. Things get extra messy when you factor in the RNG of legendary loot, leading to the high level game design question of whether you should make it easy to swap your build to use that cool new thing because it's fun, or limit it so characters have a persistent sense of identity.

I haven't played FO76 but from what I understand they took some steps to address the character identity issue with a card and deck system, so you can build for specific things but you can't have literally every perk active at once, and swapping loadouts involves downtime. The limited info we have for Starfield seems to imply a similar approach, with perks being called patches and literally equipped on space suits. The only uniquely defining build decisions may be your character background choices, like your racial choice in Skyrim (and birthsign in previous games). We'll have to wait for more info to determine how impactful those choices can be.

isndl
May 2, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I've heard from leaks the ships are apparently very happy tho.

Are they capable of being unhappy?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Spoons were quietly removed from circulation by the psychic overlords looking to maintain a monopoly on space magic.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rock Puncher posted:

actually tomatoes are probably rarer than daggers in world

Not after I decide it's time to grind my smithing skill, though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Speaking of stealth archers, are railguns considered stealth weapons? 🤔

isndl
May 2, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

look it's either this or you can wake up on a prison cart

Busting out of your jail cell to take over the prison ship would be a pretty awesome way to start the game, not gonna lie. Even naturally sets you up to have a crew (the other prisoners) and an obvious progression path (getting your stolen ship licensed).

isndl
May 2, 2012

dr_rat posted:

This is why most games don't give you companions that heal you if you eat them.

"Most" implies there are a few that do, which ones are they?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Does Xbox have content restrictions on mods, like if you wanted to put boobs on your spaceship?

isndl
May 2, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Also I would just say map data for 1000 planets each individually would be massive. They must be doing something to get the total map sizes down to a respectable level. Games meant to need 125gb storage space which is large but not insanely large.

That's exactly why they generate it from seed. Don't need to burn storage space if you generate the world at runtime, it's exactly the same as how Minecraft handles it (though Minecraft has to save the chunk afterwards because the player can modify it, we don't seem to have terrain deformation in Starfield).

Inzombiac posted:

Call me a cynic but I'm not optimistic about the randomized planets. I don't think I've seen a system like that where it doesn't feel pretty samey pretty fast.

They generated a bunch of worlds and then hand-picked which ones to use, it's not random by the time we get to playing it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

buglord posted:

I hope you can put NPCs in those bases/ships, kinda like terraria. In fallout 4 it felt a little barren

In Fallout 4 you could get settlers for your settlements but they never stopped bitching about how hard life was. Might as well not have any and build robots to run your shop stalls instead.

isndl
May 2, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

How do you accidentally gently caress a wizard?

That particular wizard is like, 'wanna see some magic?' except that's his method of flirting. Obvious in hindsight given the character, but easy to catch a player off-guard when they just finished murdering dozens of goblins and are eager to discover new methods of murder.

The real problem is that there's no nice way to friendzone him if you're not interested, either you're on the romance track or you insult his cat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If they're tunneling through space to travel faster than light, does that mean they saw Tunnel Snakes?

isndl
May 2, 2012
There's a lot you could do while on approach to a destination - tinkering with your equipment, checking the 'net for local commodity prices to tag things for sale as soon as you land, searching for job postings, ship maintenance if you don't have a NPC on the job, etc. Whether Bethesda had the foresight to implement any of that versus expecting the player to spend fifteen minutes on the landing pad to do all of it before disembarking is something we'll have to find out.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The AMD promo codes for buying hardware during the Amazon Prime Day sales look like they aren't going out until Sept. 1st which is a big miss for anyone who bought the upper tier stuff with the Premium edition code. No time to preload so you miss a day of early access.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

they should use UE5.

I can't imagine the nightmare that would be the result of throwing away decades of tools experience and asset workflows to switch engines. It's possible, but that's gotta be at least a year of work to get back up to speed if not more.

How well does UE5 do open world gameplay these days? Can it handle walking around an entire planet like Starfield is supposed to be able to?

isndl
May 2, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

5/10 only 2 wifus for my space harem

Mods have you covered. Also gallons of space lube so they shine in every screenshot.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chillmatic posted:

Seriously asking: Is there literally ANYTHING about this game that isn't just "TimCurrySayingSPACE!!!.gif"

Like is "SPAAAACE" the entire story, somehow?

Unfortunately, space has already been corrupted by capitalism.

isndl
May 2, 2012

PeePot posted:

Tempur-Pedic makes gamer chairs now????????? :2monocle:

Holy poo poo I'm going to price out an ultrawide now. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

The console unit in front of the chair is also Tempur branded so I guess they're making whole battlestations now.

isndl
May 2, 2012

KakerMix posted:

About that submersible....

Not like that was the controller's fault. Some say it's still working to this day.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Will they arrest you for kidnapping if you start collecting passengers with no intent to deliver them to their destination?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Earwicker posted:

the last time bethesda tried to make a vehicle was the "horses" in skyrim. try riding those and compare to literally any other game that has horses, and then be glad there are no vehicles in this game.

This is Vertibird erasure. :colbert:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I got a free ship as part of a side quest, and it's got a module with weapon crates, racks, backpack stands, and helmet displays. It also seems to sometimes generate equipment for them when you switch your home ship away and back? Can anyone else test this to confirm?

For me there was a legendary Lawgiver with random incendiary or explosive rounds that was definitely not there the first time I climbed into the ship.

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm having to put tons of Cargo Holds on my ship to hold all these resources and its making me too slow. Is there a better way to store them while retaining access for crafting/research?

I feel like you're supposed to put an outpost down somewhere as a home base and dump your resources and crafting stations there. Haven't figured out where I would want to do that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Comstar posted:

How do I repair my ship? I almost got blown up after knocking out the engines of a ship...but no one mentioned you can shoot it's guns out FIRST. Pressing 0 does nothing.

If you land at a spaceport, the guys who handle ship upgrades and swaps should also repair for a flat 1000 credits. Haven't looked at the pricing of the relevant Aid items to see how that compares, but it's definitely way cheaper to buy consumables from doctors to cure stuff like infections than paying the doc to do it.