Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ErrEff posted:

I think it looks fine - just like a Bethesda game! The game's atmosphere feels reserved and 'generic/vanilla future stuff' but I think that's 100% on purpose, because on PC this will have lots of mods. As for console versions, the understated fantasy vanilla flavor on the surface didn't stop Skyrim from being very popular there as well.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 both are mod supported on consoles too. Mostly the Xbox version which can use most PC mods, Playstation also has some mods. So I'm expecting Starfield to be fully supported on consoles as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Oh, I did forget there is mod support on consoles now. Is it as much of a wild west of crazy unfiltered content as the PC offers? Surely they don't let people upload NSFW stuff?

There is some borderline stuff but you're correct, there's no crazy nsfw stuff to be found.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1536468794385633280?s=20&t=57pMCFn939l_clJZndMMqQ

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Don't know if you guys are watching the Todd Howard interview right now, but there's some new information.

edit :

Some takeaways I've got :

- no seamless transitions from space to planet, will be done through a loading animation
- it will be clear to the player when a planet is handcrafted and when it is procgen, didn't specify how
- 4 big cities
- 200,000 lines of dialogue

and other stuff i already forgot

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

Oooof. The separation of space/planetside is probably justifiable from a performance perspective - entering an atmosphere is tough for pop up in NMS and this has lots more polygons - but it's still disappointing. Planets look a bit like solid blocks of colour suggesting that land/sea divisions aren't generated until you land. I wonder if sky boxes are similarly vague? If your base has a view of three moons, will they be roughly where you can find them within space? And is interplanetary travel also behind a loading screen?

Edit: I thought I might have just missed this, but there was no adverse weather shown at all was there? That's hopefully something that'll be shown off properly later because that's a pretty glaring absence.

I wonder if you can actually fly 'toward' a planet, will it get closer as you approach? There will be an invisible barrier obviously, wonder how that will work.

I also assume that, since you have to 'press X to land', the game will teleport you to a suitable location. But will that location be randomized, or will it be an actual persistent location on the planet where you clicked? Many questions, only Todd knows.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Agreed, I've had enough of this fantasy stuff (until TES6).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

StarBegotten posted:

I assume the map is then going to have either pre-made or procedurally generates dungeo...cough... I mean bases and other points of interest based on the planet type.

I am also going to assume that you will be able to find from logs or conversations particular landing sites/co-ords that are more hand crafted affairs.

I really hope most planets will just be desolate and empty, and not be filled with non-sensical random encounters. Just some scenery for taking pretty pictures and building a base. Here's Todd confirming that there will be a lot of planets with nothing to do :

Todd Howard posted:

"We’re also careful to let you know that’s what [procedural content] is. So if you look at space, you know there are a lot of ice balls in space, so that was one of our big design considerations on this game is, ‘What’s fun about an ice ball?’ And it’s OK sometimes if ice balls aren’t- it is what it is.

We’d rather have them and say yes to you, ‘Hey, you can land on this.’ Here are the resources, you can survey it, and then you can land and spend ten minutes there and be like, ‘OK, now I’m going to leave and go back to the other planet that has all this other content on it, and I’m going to follow this questline.’

"So we’re pretty careful about saying, ‘Here’s where the fun is, here’s this kind of content,’ but still say yes to the player and, ‘You want to go land on that weird planet, check it out, and build an outpost, and live your life there, and watch the sunset because you like the view of the moons there? Go for it.’ We love that stuff."

Honestly this sounds like a pretty good deal to me so far.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Fallout 4 also had one city, and a bunch of settlements.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

:bighow:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Honestly, I'm pretty positive about the setting so far. With what little we know of it at least. A Bethesda-style RPG in a more serious universe could be pretty cool.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Starfield has some interesting sounding skills such as Weight Lifting, Gastronomy and Dueling.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

So I actually watched that IGN update / interview and people left out the most important part in the bullet point summary? The ship combat, according to Todd, is based on Mechwarrior, with system management etc?! That actually gets me kinda excited, i know ill be disappointed because Todd is always a disappointment, but mechwarrior mixed with spaceships sound rad as hell, and the limited space combat we've seen doesn't look outright bad.

I was under the impression that the Mechwarrior comment was to explain why the ship movement is so slow and lumbering? But still seemed like it could be good, made it look like the ship had actual weight.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Because why not?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

You can see a Shotgun ejecting entire bullets at one point instead of, well, shells.

It's a space shotgun from the future man

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

We don't know what it exactly does yet but honestly, the optional 'have parents' trait sounds like one of the most interesting perks a Bethesda rpg has ever done. Could be great for RP'ing, a reason to return home to the family once in a while for a visit over the weekend. Maybe have a meal together.

I think it's nice, it warms my heart.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

:bighow:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Give me the emptiness and desolation! I want to feel like an explorer across the vastness of space and planets. If there is something 'placed' everywhere or random encounters happen all the time it would cheapen the experience a lot.

Besides, Todd already confirmed that the procgen planets would have nothing of interest. They are just locations you can take or leave and be used for mining or building, which honestly sounds perfect. Starfield has the most handcrafted locations out of every Bethesda RPG, which I'm sure refers to the main quest planets.

Fucker posted:

this only makes sense if theres a bunch of clearly defined main areas and then the rest of the game is just no mans sky plopped on top

Which is exactly what the game will be, so I don't see an issue with this.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 24, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Fucker posted:

hmm ok. if it really is like that and todd isnt just damage controlling, then that sounds like something that might piss "i love exploring" ppl off cause they know they arent gonna find anything that matters on planet #3 through #1045, but that is at least good news to me. :thanks: every1

I love exploring and for now this 1000 planets stuff sounds like an explorer's dream, my dude. Exploration to me is not about finding a setpiece, but can be just about landing on some deserted planet far away and see the sunset, take pretty pictures, discover some cool wildlife or rock formations or whatever. Same reason why I love games like NMS or Elite. But this one has wheels of cheese.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

90% of my Fallout 4 plays was spent building settlements. I loved it.

Stuff like that in a game with typical Bethesda gameplay mechanics is like crack to me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's incredible there are people who believe Bethesda will finally be able to create compelling environments by investing LESS effort into them. Also that somebody would voluntarily do any building in a Bethesda engine.

I think I mentioned this recently in this thread, but the building in Fallout 4 was the best thing about that game to me. I also loved the Hearthfire expansion for Skyrim. And judging by the gameplay trailer, Starfield has way more of that and it seems to work much better, so I can't wait for this.

It's a Bethesda RPG, these are made for messing around and doing whatever. They are my favorite kinds of games, tbh.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Bethesda's strengths are never in their storytelling. They fill out a very unique role in the rpg world, but nobody plays these games for the story and you should realize this before going in.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Creation Engine is fine. It's what makes it a true Bethesda RPG. Would not be worthwhile at all to switch engines and redo/relearn everything from scratch, unless you want an extra decade of delays.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

New info and a first look at the dialogue system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNimT0O8LE

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

lmao at the adoring fan trait

Nice

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I don't think there's going to be space magic. They already said the sci-fi was going to be very grounded and realistic. I also hope there's no space magic of any kind in there, I'm a bit tired of all these fantasy elements in my sci-fi.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm sure there's a joke that I'm missing, but some of you honestly did not know about the delay?

Anyway, they mentioned it coming out Q2 2023 but no date has been released yet.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Todd Howard was on a podcast recently where he released some tidbits of info. This article mentions some of those bits.

https://twistedvoxel.com/starfield-optimization-exclusivity-xbox-gameplay-difficulty/

The podcast is 3 hours long and is also in the article if you're interested, but the Starfield talk is only a small part of it.

edit: this reddit post has a bullet point summary
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/z8crw5/starfield_info_summary_of_todd_howards_latest/

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 30, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah the interviewer is really not great Makes it pretty hard to listen to.

Anything interesting said about ohter upcoming projects in the non-starfeild parts, or is mostly just Tod howards view on past stuff.?

It's mostly about how he got into the business, and his views on what the typical Bethesda rpg experience should be like etc... He also mentions that he was the reason Bethesda almost went bankrupt because of Redguard, which was the first project he received full control of but it flopped. Cool stuff like that! But I'm only an hour or so in, listening to it while running.

It's actually pretty interesting if you want to know more about the Bethesda design ethos and the history of Todd Howard, but I agree about the interviewer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I liked Starflight bunches. :)

I would be happy with something like that, even if you could just explore and mine and find cool stuff in a buggy and had some sort of neat storyline to follow and different aliens to work with.

I also like not understand what they say too and figuring it all out. It could be neat for first encounter type stuff. Not sure how far into that they'll go, or if every alien just can magically know English (or whatever language you selected), and like every so many words they have a weird letter thrown in there because they are aliens.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any aliens outside of local fauna. Likely there will be stuff like alien artifacts, but no aliens like in Mass Effect. Todd has said it will be a very grounded type of sci-fi. So probably also no space magic, biotics or whatever you want to call it.

Suits me fine, because I'm a bit tired of all of these fantasy tropes.

But I hope there will be lots of space drugs with cool effects instead.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m just happy to have a sci-fi themed RPG for once since I´m so drat tired of ye olde medevial style of RPG.

Hell yeah, the gaming world is obsessed with medieval fantasy RPG's.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm talking about keyboard and mouse

Controllers are perfectly fine for first person games. I played all Bethesda games starting from Morrowind with a controller.

I'm actually better with a controller than mouse and keyboard. I can't stand gaming on kbm, it ruins my immersion and makes me feel like I'm at work.

Sitting hunched over at a PC is not my idea of a good time and promotes bad posture.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Even Mint Blitz uses a controller for Halo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Some new info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloHMrl9WxY

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Todd said after Fallout 4, they have to give a release date at least 5 months before the actual release so that every vendor etc has enough time to set everything up. So I guess it's at least 5 months away then.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

I see Earth everyday, give me tons of weirdo poo poo in the Jovian moons or have some college intern do a fart joke on Uranus or something. That's what I'm after.

I still don't totally get how planets work. Is it just a small square like Mass Effect 1 or the whole thing (at 1/10000 scale or whatever of course)?

The Todd said something about this in the previous video. It seems it simulates an entire planet (scaled most likely of course), not just a small area that's provided for you. He also said it has real orbits and stuff.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Twitterverse was going all-in on a possible announcement for the showcase this week, no idea how those rumors were started. Could be just another big old echo chamber.

Merry Deciever posted:

Bethesda games going literally back to Arena always have had a lot of proc-gen, though really, if you could ignore the random parts and focus on going to the actual tailor made content, sort of like the "JIP fast travel" mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52129

(Or just fallout 1 and 2's travel system) and than just explore at random when you want to, I could see starfield is being hailed as one of the best. Has it been confirmed that you can land anywhere, or is it strictly the same spots every time?

It's been confirmed you can land anywhere, I think it was in one of the developer directs.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I tried ESO but the MMO part ruined My Immersion. An offline mode would be pretty sweet though, I mostly just want to explore without seeing other humans and have fewer monsters to fight.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWbElTCea8

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Baron von der Loon posted:

Gah, I read that as 9th of June. Bummer.

lol same.

Then I was confused about the Starfield Direct being planned 2 days after release before I realized.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mods are nice but I have hundreds of hours in Morrowind unmodded at 20fps on the OG Xbox and I'm just fine. Bethesda RPG's don't need mods at all to be fun imo, but mods extend their life greatly and encourage many playthroughs.

Looking very much forward to another Bethesda game to spend the next decade with, until TES comes out again.

Popete posted:

I guess I never really listened to Todd Howard pre-release hype before but I don't really understand the hate he gets. He seems to genuinely enjoy making these games and for all their faults they're still some of the best games being made.

Todd is cool, he loves his job and he makes fantastic games that are unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

They're still the only ones managing to create such games. The term 'Bethesda RPG' might as well be a genre name at this point.