Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my prediction, in spoiler tags because i'm pretty sure i'm right:

all of the mysterious talking space rocks you find are part of an elder device. after about 80 hours of gameplay exploring dozens of worlds and consulting with researchers and mystics, you finally locate the origin of the device -- an uncharted planet in the talos system.

when you arrive, you discover the planet is inhabited by a pre-industrial civilization. you land on the largest continent and are immediately confronted by soldiers equipped with metal armor and swords. they accuse of you of being some kind of rebel. you try to escape, but they capture you and you're knocked unconscious.

a dream sequence begins. you are in a featureless void and a large human(?) stands in front of you howling with laughter. if you try to interact, the mad cackling only intensifies. there's no way out and after after 10 minutes of non-stop overlapping laugh-tracks, you assume the game must be glitched and exit out.

when you start the game again and reload your save, you're still in the dream sequence, but this time the laughing figure has a name - sheogorath. in a few seconds the screen fades to black, and you wake up in a cart among a group of prisoners. they call themselves "stormcloaks"

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

STARFIELD you ate my nebulasagna!

the robot in the gameplay trailer is named 0D13

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the "1000 planets" thing was the biggest turn off for me. it just means the design is a few set piece locations and then the other 99.9999% is just procedural filler that i won't care about at all. of course, all elder scrolls games are like that too, with the random forests and mountains being mostly generated and lightly tweaked by hand, but the ratio will be even worse in starfield.

i have nothing against procedurally generated stuff when it suits the gameplay, like enemies/levels in diablo or hades, or a crafting game like minecraft or terraria. maybe they will do something good with it, but i assume it will just be: go to this random jungle to get vines for building your settlement. ok, now go to this barren rock and get tungsten for your settlement. ok, now go to this iceworld and harvest gas for your settlement.

i'm sure i'll still play it.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 13, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Starfeld

What's the deal with all these planets? :jerry:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lexorin posted:

Bets on which AAA actor they wasted money on for 5 minutes of VA for a throw away character?

Epi Lepi posted:

How long has this game been actively in development, do we know?

the big voice talent they got was david carradine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

question: can i take the cannibal trait?

and follow up: will it play a delightful xylophone trill when i use it?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Popete posted:

One of the NPCs in the trailer asked if you too see visions when you touch the artifacts, so not the only one.

i may have misinterpreted the trailer, but i thought they said something about whoever found the thing first had the vision, but after that nobody else would experience one. could be mistaken, though, maybe only certain people are dragonborn, er born under a certain sign to uncertain parents, er attuned to them.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Popete posted:

Timestamp scene here. Sounds like it only happens when one is discovered but the vision isn't unique just to you? Overall the story sounds less "save the galaxy" and more of a "discover an ancient alien race" but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb2FJGvnAw&t=424s

ok, yeah, this is more vague than i had interpreted when i watched it the first time. knowing bethesda, your character is probably special and can see all the visions.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I said come in! posted:

I still suspect that Starfield will be the biggest launch on Game Pass in its history, and will sell like 20 million copies day one. Now whether or not it can keep that momentum is another question. Cyberpunk sold extremely well, but no one was praising it at launch and then talk about it stopped very quickly.

i finally got around to playing cyberpunk earlier this year, and the weirdest part was how incomplete the wiki was even after all this time. part of that is probably because the game had significant patches that added or changed stuff after a lot of wiki content was already written, but there was very little active maintenance or anyone trying to fill in the gaps. that was the biggest signal to me that the game has no legs.

kinda reminds me of the avatar film holding the record for best selling movie and even getting its own section at disney world, but leaving absolutely no impact on popular culture.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if i don't have to complete a kerbal launch minigame every time i take off or land on a planet, what is even the point?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think the big “todd lied” moment for starfield will be that many of the 1000 “planets” are actually dwarf planets.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I hope the ship building stuff is at least as good as the other Microsoft game that had the feature, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, it's always amazing what conclusions get drawn from a ~15 minute hand-picked game trailer (which didn't even look that great in this case)

i'm generally looking forward to starfield just because it's a big bethesda game and they're usually fun sandbox rpgs, but not because i assume i know what the gameplay will be like. i didn't love fallout 4 or even skyrim, but they were still fun enough for what they were and i liked them enough to dump 100 hours in and finish the game. this time it's in space with a bunch of planets. will that be better? who knows!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

as long as the procgen is seeded the same for everyone, you should be able to land anywhere and get a consistent setting for every player. there are technical challenges to do that starting from an arbitrary point and without having to generate the entire planet into memory first, but they could probably grid the planets at some resolution that still looks like you can land anywhere from a globe map on your ship’s navigation UI, but the grids are big enough you’ll never walk to the edge when you land in the middle. i.e., the grids don’t meet, because procgen with boundary conditions is hard.

there are other approaches too, just saying it’s not that hard to let you “land anywhere” if you allow some number of kilometers of wiggle room.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think by the time we have the technology to visit other star systems, we could also find a way to add a 3rd barrel to a shotgun

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

let's see, i've got my handheld laser powerful enough to slice through rock to carve out chunks of iron ore. what else should i bring with me... hmm, guess i had better grab my breech loading shotgun in case i need to defend myself.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no, but good news, you can get skyrim for half off all week!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

There is no Starfield, is there? It was just a mean prank.

hey, you, you're finally awake

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i want my character to be voiced by the tiktok text to speech lady

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the magic is FTL, what more do you want??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the game was delayed due to the last minute title and theme change to GARFIELD

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

External Organs posted:

Do you see that dog semen? You can drink it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

warning, don't watch the starfield section of that interview, it's long and bad and full of the interviewer waxing broetic

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

todd howard has made exactly one good game in the past 2 decades, morrowind, and maybe you can give him some credit for subcontracting new vegas. he only makes a single genre of games using the same engine (with updates obviously) for 20 years. comparing him to miyamoto is really weird.

he definitely bends the truth a fair amount, but that’s pretty standard in game marketing. i don’t think he deserves the level of scorn he receives for it compared to others.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 1, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I’m sure this is not something you haven’t already considered, but Bethesda games work great with a controller. I always have a wireless Xbox controller for my PC.

do not, under any circumstances, play a first person game with a controller

unless it's splatoon, that one gets a pass because of the motion controls are pretty good actually

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm talking about keyboard and mouse

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Epi Lepi posted:

Can’t believe people are still saying this in TYoOL 2022.

why? aiming and camera controls still suck on controllers compared to a mouse in 2022. other than some games using gyro/motion control, there hasn't been much improvement over the years. it still feels pretty much how it did going all the way back to halo. it's playable, but there's a reason PC and console players are separated in competitive FPS games, and nobody who plays PC first person games competitively uses a gamepad over mouse and keyboard. it's just not as good.

wanna sit on your couch and game because your brain associates a keyboard and mouse with work? fine, i get that. but to me it's a noticeably worse experience for anything first person. up to you how much you care i guess, and it's not like starfield is a competitive shooter, but i still prefer the better controls even if it means sitting at a desk.

e: also, i guess i just kinda assume most people are gonna prefer playing the PC version of bethesda games if possible (and thus have the keyboard/mouse option) because of a wider availability of mods, not to mention fan patches for all the bugs bethesda is too lazy to fix. in the console version you're locked into their official store, and if it's anything like skyrim the in-game mod store interface and experience is horrific compared to nexus and a 3rd party mod manager. maybe starfield will do a better job with mods through the in game system though, who knows.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well sorry for the derail about mouse vs gamepad. it was wrong of me. i should've tried to drive a wedge between PC and Xbox instead.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i love my switch, but nintendo first party games are carrying a lot of the weight. botw, mario odyssey, and splatoon were worth buying the console for me. those are great couch gamepad games, with 3rd person cameras and some motion control for fine tuning the aim.

i also played hundreds of hours of both stardew valley and hades on my pro controller, even on the PC, so i'm not a gamepad hater. it's really just FPS and MMOs where i draw the line and need the mouse and keyboard. and obviously RTS or strategy games with hundreds of units all over the screen that require precise clicking.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I said come in! posted:

It worries me that there is like zero new footage in this.

yep, filmed in the same office as the todd interview. pretty sure the same character was doing the interview as well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Fallout fans are looking at what 2030 at the earliest? I still reckon that MS will somehow convince Bethesda to do something else with fallout before the next releases as that's crazy.

No 76 doesn't count.

confusingly, fallout 5 will be released in '76

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no sign of garfield anywhere, major disappointment

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mokotow posted:

Game is cool but I’m also excited about what this means for games down the pipeline - Elder Scrolls and Fallout. This tech is a huge jump.

yep, can't wait to see the adoring fan tech in all of their games going forward

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

i wonder if there are space mudcrabs i can mod anime titties onto

was hoping they'd have a sim life style thing where you could selectively breed the animals you encounter until they all have huge knockers after a dozen generations

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

let me just put away my mining laser that cuts through several meters of rock real quick and grab my rescue axe to defend myself from this Space Punk

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they're not gonna release another mainline game for 8 years, your PC or console will grow into this one

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cardboard Fox posted:

Anyone know if FPS Cheat Mode (DLSS) is supported?

don't know if it's been announced, but seems like a certainty for a game of this stature

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

PeePot posted:

Yes. Each jump I've made from HDD to SSD to NVME is pretty drastic with shortened load times. I don't remember the last game where I had to wait for something.

upgrading from a spinning hdd makes a huge difference, but game load times don't vary that drastically between sata and pcie ssds, unless it's a really old ssd that isn't even maxing out sata's ~6 Gbps.

i made that switch a couple years back, and storage benchmarks are like 10x faster now but games still load at the same speed because past a certain point the bottleneck isn't getting data off the disk, it's processing it all

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have to say though, whoever is writing these things needs help. I think Skyrim gets by just on being a fantasy game, but both Fallout 4 and Starfield are just so, so dull.

Like, Jarl Balgruf and Starfield Commander Person might both have the same writer making the same not so great dialogue, but when one has a veneer of fantasy land and the other is too-similar to the read world, the real-world one suffers for it. Absolutely none of the dialogue they showed off in the trailers landed well, and some of what downright bad. And unlike, say, the gun-play (which improved!), that poo poo's not getting better; not before launch, and not after patches.

this is all true, but seems like an industry wide thing rather than a bethesda thing, or i guess multi industry since you see the same thing with big movie franchises as well.

there are rare exceptions, but it seems like the pattern for a decade+ has been to put a ton of production focus into background details, world building/lore, and side stories (which often are pretty tight and good on their own), but the overall game story has nothing to say, your character doesn't develop in any meaningful way, and if there are any emotional moments it's usually just a likable character dying to save you and the crew. i don't want to write off the world building stuff as unimportant, because it can be cool and enjoyable, but it's basically just infrastructure. all that stuff seems way over architected to support the anemic story that ends up being delivered.

not sure if it's just the nature of production at that scale with so many people involved, or a deliberate choice to keep things bland to stay accessible to the widest possible audience, or what, but it's been the trend now for a long time that smaller studios and indie games do much better crafting interesting and thought provoking stories and concepts.

i don't think there was enough in the demo to pass any judgement on starfield yet, but i'm not expecting to be surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I didn't see a single HOTAS or HOSAS on any of the developer desks, so I'm not hopeful about that. :ohdear:

I still pre-ordered though, because it includes the first story expansion.

I don't know if Starfield will support it, but DirectStorage exists to take the compressed textures on an NVMe SSD, do inline decompression via DEFLATE using GPGPU processing, and send it directly to the graphics cards VRAM, instead of going through the system memory.

yep, i’ve seen this and there are cases for bulk data loading that can benefit, but the overall effect is nowhere near the jump from spinning hd to ssd on overall load times, that was the main point. the jump to ssd will shave off 10s of seconds of load time for big modern games, the jump from sata to pcie with directstorage is more like 2 seconds overall in the few tests i’ve seen. it will get more significant as GPU ram capacity grows of course.