Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Don't good facial animations require a lot of manual touch up work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
isn't that because they generate faces with the creation kit, essentially using the same tools as the end player?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, but games like the witcher etc manage to do good facial animations but apparently the process is hell for games with loads of dialog.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think all those funny sfm tf2 vids have the maker hand animate some of the frames after volvo's engine does the main legwork.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

funkymonks posted:

I love to bash these games as much as anyone but the character movement and combat animations are substantially improved from Fallout 4. Enemy reactions to being shot are much better and everything looks less floaty. Agreed that facial animations aren't great.

less floaty? the game has zero G combat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh they did completely change the animation system between skyrim and fallout 4. The former still requires specialized tools for more animations like FNIS and later Nemesis animation builder.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

isndl posted:

That number of planets is mostly filler, but at the same time it'll be extremely popular with the settlement building crowd who get to have giant sandboxes to gently caress around with. I expect there's going to be "coolest planets to build a vacation home" type lists going pretty much immediately after launch. Once you factor in modding it's a massive boon there as well because it gives a ton of space to work in with minimal risk of conflicts. Not everyone cares about that sort of thing as can be evidenced by the complaints people have about Fallout settlements, but there are a substantial number of people who put hundreds of hours into their little scrap metal outposts too.

With any luck the random encounter system is easy to add things to so we can add more variety over time. In retrospect I don't know if I've ever seen anyone add to the FO4 random encounter lists which this is probably based on though.

people add stuff to the encounter system in both skyrim and fallout all the time. My skyrim modded game always has imperial, thalmor and stormcloak patrols going from their little hideyholes, patrolling, getting into fights with assorted wildlife and each other.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cavauro posted:

it was really boring and unsatisfying to build and have bases in FO4 and it will be the same way in Starfield but i hope they have a few cool things you can do when you go back. like settle a dispute within the colony that has created factions or something like that. maybe some mods will have that sort of stuff. I like the games

the bases in FO4 allowed you to acquire crafting resources later on. The outposts in starfield largely seem to do the same.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

isndl posted:

Yeah that was all vanilla as I recall, though I remember mods to scale the numbers way up so it was dozens of NPCs instead of a few. Maybe there's stuff that I didn't notice because of how seamless it was in which case kudos to the modders.

well modders are directly using the systems bethesda has set up. There's these neat NPC travel mods where I was roaming outside solitude and saw the girl thane wearing a full set of nordic plate hauling in a raider back to the city dungeons. Hell even things like animation, you have things like OAR/DAR which themselves allow for far more idle animation varieties using the script extender.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
them using prefabbed components does mean that pathfinding will be easier all around. The fallout 4 settlement system suffers a lot from not having remotely enough prefab housing elements you can kitbash together.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
my friends had the opposite thing to say. They really hated SF's aesthetic because it wasn't "aesthetic" enough. I liked Bethesda's whole take on retrofuturistic america. You were essentially walking in the remains of the Jetson's universe in many ways while in downtown boston.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Azhais posted:

They only generate junk if you have less than like 500 units of junk in the settlement, and the machines only run when you're in the settlement. They're basically completely worthless for acquiring crafting materials other than the "make purified water sell purified water buy material deliveries" loop

I just want bases that are self sufficient. Not the "I build 8600 points of defenses and 3 gunners will destroy half the settlement unless you, the only competent person on the planet, show up to babysit them" bases from fo4

I think the higher your happiness levels and defenses were the less likely your settlements were to be attacked. I asked around in reddit and used SKK's settlement attack mod which completely overhauled that aspect. Either way the settlement system really felt unbaked in terms of being playtested although it was really important in survival mode.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its outer space. Most of those planets will be balls of ice.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the game showcase did say that a lot of those planets will just be there for resource outposts and taking the occasional stroll in.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ah yes but have you considered that it was made by obsidian so it was automatically gooder?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The planets are pre generated. The quests get added in as you approach them iirc.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if thats the price we pay for modding then thats the price we pay.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah we need some really deep gameplay experiences like...Star Citizen.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you have to understand. VIdeogames have to be like art. gently caress all that poo poo about NPCs actually having schedules that they go on without you. I need good writing (things that I can reference and feel smart about).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I said come in! posted:

The planets are also different biomes and landscapes too for each player is how I understood it?

No, they pregenned that poo poo a while ago, just like every game they did since daggerfall. Its based on a single seed. The quests and things to do on the planet will be random.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megazver posted:

this, unironically

you should replay outer worlds. After all it is the spiritual sequel to Fallout New Vegas.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They set the template for other games, then other games do the a thing bethesda games do better (but have way less moving parts) and epic gamers post the crowbcat video to show how bethesda is hack frauds who never made a good game after morrowind.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yeah they should really learn from obsidian on how to make a good game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

At least some Obsidian games had some things they excelled at. A couple of them had pretty good writing.

There isn't a single Bethesda developed game that excels at anything, besides maybe there being a lot of it, and even then Ubisoft has been filling that niche since for ever.

wow, this uninteractable world has good writing. Just what i need in my RPG.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Anno posted:

Obsidian and BGS both make excellent games, idk why their needs to be any comparison. They're very different styles of game.

No one crafts worlds like BGS so even if the writing is so-so and the gameplay kinda whatever people play them forever because a lot of people like being immersed in another world.

lol so many people tell me that BGS worlds are specifically lifeless compared to bioware. The comparison comes up because the entire hype cycle for Outer Worlds was built on "obsidian unleashed instead of being brutally shackled by bethesda." Specifically targeting people who watched hbomberguy's fallout 3 video during the epic breadtube wars.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mylan posted:

People like to complain about haters, but its possible to be too positive about something too. Getting mad at people who dislike a thing you like can be equally obnoxious. Some people can't distinguish between legitimate criticism and trolling.

yeah but when someone is doing a flyby on how bethesda are hack frauds whose only well written game was FNV because it was made by obsidian you can assume the latter to be the case.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Popete posted:

Why did you play a bunch of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 if you didn't like them?

For me it's the world build and the dynamic nature of all the systems and yes that includes a healthy amount of jank when you do something unexpected. You can have a quest to go kill some ghouls in an abandon super market and along the way come across 5 different side quests or places to explore and it's easy to just get sucked into exploring detailed worlds and finding stuff to loot.

Base building in FO4 wasn't great but I think they are iterating on it better in Starfield so I'm interested in building bases on scenic planets/moons.

Combat is satisfying to create broken/fun builds like stealth archer, battle mage or power armoured mega tank. One shotting a goon from across the map with VATS is fun, Fus Ro Da'ing a wolf off a cliff is fun.

Being able to loot everything or kill random NPCs in the world makes the world feel more permanent and changeable.

ah but you see it doesn't feel like a living breathing world because even if you nuke megaton one person survives and turns into a ghoul.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I don't like playing a rpg where character builds are kinda fluffy. BGS makes games where character builds play wildly differently. Hell even fallout 4 despite is myriad boneheaded story decisions made their equivalent of power armor a completely different beast to play in.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
people should play more indie classic games like elden ring.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

marktheando posted:

Most of my complaints about post-New Vegas bethesda games are that they aren't enough like New Vegas, I wish Bethesda would learn a few lessons from what Obsidian did right with their formula. Especially with factions and multiple ways to do quests.

Too much of Fallout 4 was a move away from that. So many missions are just go to a location and clear it of enemies. And the voiced protagonist and the personal nature of the main quest made it hard to play as a variety of different character types.

But I really enjoyed the settlement building and survival mode stuff though (with a mod to remove the stupid save restrictions)

you know most of NV consisted of that too right?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I am sure schlongs of starfield will give us all the dicksliders we need.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have a 2060 lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

pretending to act surprised when spaceships ride like horses but without gravity and a locked z-rotation range

(if it works, it works, see also: power armor)

I thought PA worked really well.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

moon demon posted:

How is FO76 these days anyway? I never really understood the "point", like once I build my base what then?

the point is them making those delightful vault boy shorts.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

I remember Oblivion had a dialog at the end of the intro dungeon that let you go back and change any of the character creation options you'd chosen. So all you had to do was drop a save at the end of that dungeon and go back to it if you wanted to start a new character without going through the whole opening plot again.

Crazy that they didn't keep doing that.

they literally kept that in fallout 4 lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah alt start mods for fallout 4 really don't work because of the voiced protag.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Start me up Redux? Yeah its the most comprehensive alternate start mod in FO4. Shame it doesn't work with mods like spouse companions though.

However in Skyrim you have more modern start me up mods than ASLAL without an absolute cretin like arthmoor to deal with. The new Skyrim alternate start mod is Alternate Perspective which combines both the intro of the base skyrim game with you being one of the bystanders AND gives you a more seamless world to start you off in.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Aphex- posted:

Lol this is really reaching. Do you get mad at other games that don't include features they never said they'd include?

What about Outer Worlds? Did you have the same complaint with that game?

It was an obsidian RPG alri?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
all the customization moved to guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even Fallout 4 had a decent number of slots. Not much less than Skyrim.

Clothes, chest, L arm, R arm, L leg, R leg, head. Had some decent room to play around there.

I really liked the whole customization system in F4 as well.

fallout 4 had it but each clothing item was a full set, even more than skyrim. Like there were no different shoe slots