Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It's just going to be that don't delude yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Booty Pageant posted:

the watch is also the first time i've ever seriously considered a smartwatch, i'd immediately buy it if it was in stainless steel

e:
like for real are there any smartwatches that have a ui similar to and full of unnecessary metrics??

It's not really a smart watch. It doesn't do any actual smart watch things.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

why play videogame when you can watch video essay?

So I can leave a bad review on Steam because the game is shoving politics down my throat by having women in it(non sexy kind).

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Tuna-Fish posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking earlier but didn't post because I thought no-one would get it anyway! Apparently you are as ancient as I am.

But yeah, all the stuff they have posted seem to point to exactly this, except that there are better cutscenes for landing. I think it works just fine for a game.

I think this is mostly irrelevant, because planets are planet-sized and travel speeds are fairly limited.

This is very clearly in the same genre of a game as Outer Worlds. Given how much of a rush job OW seemed to be, and this being so delayed, I'm now very interested on who had the idea first, and if the other company had it independently or not.

They filed a trademark for Starfield in 2013.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

If you expect to use a hotas in Starfield you are out of your mind even if you get it working it will be a terrible way to play.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that DLSS mod is gonna be a paid thing? Apparently the same dev has something similar already, and updates, when it breaks eventually, cost more money?

Yeah he releases them on Patreon. A lot of modders release stuff on Patreon only.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I’m going to hate the game and then play it for 1000 hours anyway.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Oh Adam Jensen is in this game?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

The answer is "no, do not." Even if it is the greatest game ever made it isn't worth the cost of an entire different game just to play it shortly before anyone else can. If it was like a MMO or other online game where a few days mattered I could see maybe arguing it but it's a single player game. You don't need to rush it.

But I get the first DLC included not just 5 days of early access. Best value.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

kri kri posted:

With pc? Cool might cop a steam decks then to play it on the go

So it's worth pointing out Gamepass doesn't work with Steamdeck unless you install Windows on it, and that has a lot of draw backs as well. The Steam version will likely work with Steamdeck, but that likely does not have cross save with other versions.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

CBD Corndog posted:

The PC game pass folder lockdown stuff stopped a while ago and you can just access game files like any other normal program now. I'd bet the incompatibility with an SKSE-like will probably come from any changes made to the actual EXE for game pass integration that changes memory addresses

The EXE of Gamepass games is itself still super drm’d heavily and locked down. Just the other files aren’t. Script extenders will never work with Gamepass versions. You will be able to mod the game, but not freely to the same degree as Steam and you will be limited eventually.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The lockpicking mini game was neat for the first 40 hours or so and then I got sick of it and thankfully someone made a mod to make it not quite auto complete, but the next best thing with making it so any lock only has two keys that are extremely simple.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/451

It's actually just console commands to make it simple put into a bat file that auto executes when you start the game, but close enough until proper mods can be made.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Dexo posted:

I do want a mod that increases the normal walking speed to the specific speed the NPC's walk and talk at.

That is the most infuriating thing in any game.

Like either slow down the NPC(but seriously don't pick this one) or speed up the player's base walking speed.

This is another one of those the game is really made for a controller things. Impossible to keep a good pace with them on keyboard, easily doable with a controller. See also when you are over your carrying capacity and on keyboard your only option is to run or walk extremely slow and running will drain your o2. Controller has a faster than extremely slow walk, but not actually running so it doesn't drain your o2 middle ground.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

ShadowMar posted:

man, im currently on NG+ and i have to say, outposts, especially the automation elements of them, feel extremely half-assed compared to basically everything else in the game

it's like they wanted to make it feel like factorio or satisfactory but didn't want to fully commit to making a factory automation game so you get a lot of bizarre design choices like cargo links only having 1 connection, requiring you to either have one cargo link per mining base (which you cant at a certain points because outposts have a limit of 3 cargo links) or daisy chain all of your cargo links in an unholy mess.

not to mention, if your outpost provides multiple resources at different speeds, eventually the faster produced resource will clog up your cargo links and prevent the slower produced resource from actually being transported to your base (cargo links also randomly stop working sometimes)

it's also a nightmare to manage dozens of invisible magic red wires connecting all of your storage containers with no labeling of whether they are an input or output wire. i dont need factorio conveyor belts but having some indication of resources being transported from one container to another one would help with managing outposts.

i have no idea what the intended way of using outpost automation and cargo links is because it feels like im doing something nobody at bethesda even considered for a second. they really need to do another pass on this poo poo because it just feels unfinished.

Outposts much like settlements in Fallout 4 are pointless busy work. You are far better off just buying materials from merchants.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

new atlantis sucks so hard that i bet a lot of the people unhappy with the game got there and quit. it woukd have sucked at any point, but putting it right near the start was the worst thing they coulda done.

neon should have been the first major city you visited.

I was really not enjoying the game when I started it and mainlined the main quest and my first visit was New Atlantis the city that feels like it was designed to waste as much of your time as possible, and then go meet a bunch of NPCs that are all yay science I love space and are all insufferable dorks. Getting involved with other cities and factions lifted my opinion of the game a lot, it just gives a terrible first impression. The main quest did eventually get interesting but gently caress all those nerds.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Your SFSE mods and anything that relays on them won’t work until SFSE updates.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Azhais posted:

The empty planets would be less boring if I could fly down to the planet, fly around the surface, then leave. But the all fast travel movement system makes the game feel like a series of vignettes and in that context "barren wasteland" is boring as hell

Play Elite Dangerous it gets boring real quickly.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Being able to fly down to a planet without a loading screen does nothing to solve the games actual problems. Space is loving boring.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Earwicker posted:

space itself might be boring but i dont think the process of flying a spaceship and managing its various parts and systems is boring, thats an activity (or set of activities) that can be fun and interesting and challenging in and of itself.

i dont think adding actual space and planetary flight into the game would solve all of the games problems, or even a quarter of them really, but it would certainly make it more appealing than it currently is for many players.

I think adding that stuff would just make the game worse. The game would be better off without landing anywhere on entire planets. Have like 10 planets with desiginated landing zones instead of 1000 star systems with a bunch of planets and moons you can land anywhere. Also get rid of the entire part where you fly the spaceship it's pointless and bad. I know Morrowind moving to a fixed map instead of the wide open nothingness of Daggerfall had it's doubters, but it was the right move.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

OW feels like a game with not a lot of budget being stretched too much and some gameplay systems that needed more design passes.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

If only it was possible to learn from the mistakes someone else did first.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Tiny Timbs posted:

Game studios don't learn from their own mistakes and they especially don't learn from others, as a rule

Hey let's be honest, this doesn't just apply to game studios. Someday I will learn from my own mistakes.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Macichne Leainig posted:

That's good material, ever thought about doing comedy?

Too busy trying to master making snarky replies.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Earwicker posted:

i find video game criticism to be an interesting topic as much as the next goon but how the hell is there a market for 8 hour breakdowns of this stuff. i dont think i could watch an 8 hour documentary on any topic in the world no matter how much i cared about it. that thing has over 400k views! thats probably more people than there are playing the game

personally i figured out that it was a pretty bad game in like, 20 minutes. that video feels like going to mcdonalds and they gave you a lovely meal with cold fries and then spending a bunch of time and energy picking up every single individual fry and measuring the temperature and determining that it, too, is cold instead of just like... throwing them away.

You half pay attention as you do something else on your computer.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Bethesda has spent the past 20 years since Morrowind constantly removing the traditional RPG elements of their game each title more and more streamlined to gain mass appeal, simplifying character building, systems design while having blander writing that refuses to say anything of value. Then Baldur's Gate 3 launches a month before Starfield and it has all the stuff Bethesda had been removing all that time and it was a way more successful game and completely ate Starfields lunch.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Cyberpunks problems were bugs, performance, skill, perk and combat systems. At least the biggest problems. Fixing them was a huge task, but they also had a lot going for them. The characters, story and missions were all pretty good even at launch and the game looked great. Which is good because fixing all of that probably would not have been possible. Starfields problem is the entire foundation is rotten. The best they could hope for is making it into some kind of survival crafter looter. Fallout 4 played in survival mode and just mostly ignoring the story is the best version of that game. Maybe they will do that here.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Cant you do a fix that they probably don’t want to do by making the apartment its own interior cell instead.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

We didn’t even get mechs so I could drop a space colony onto space Australia.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Any time I need to stealth a mission in any Bethesda game I just tell them to wait outside. Seems easier than dealing with them.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Bethesda should run away screaming from proc gen after the reaction to Starfield.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

isndl posted:

Procgen is a tool like anything else. Most of the trees and rocks and foliage in previous games were placed with procedural generation and nobody batted an eye.

I wonder if they had more ambitious plans to have full scale dungeons that were procedurally generated but it didn't pan out and they had to scramble to make the static POIs we have now.

That's not what I mean and you know it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think Oblivion and Skyrim are all that different in many ways. Having replayed the vanilla versions of both in the aftermath of Starfield they're very much of a piece, but Skyrim and Fallout 4 both show clear and obvious mechanical and aesthetic improvements over their predecessor, and Starfield doesn't. I don't think the gunplay in Starfield is meaningfully advanced past what we have in F4?

I think the only areas I'd highlight for compliments are the visuals and audio. The graphics and aesthetic are good, but I've always thought that in every Bethesda game. The music, while not great, is an improvement over F4, and it very much seems to be the previous composer and team just learning and improving, so that's very good, and then the sound design has some real stand outs, whoever made the lift off thrusters and the punchy bark of the Odin has nothing to feel bad about.

The thruster sounds are the best part of the game. Makes me wonder if they just took recordings of real rockets.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

webmeister posted:

I don't hate it, I enjoyed most of the ~70 hours I played it but the longer you play the more its flaws stand out. Though I only played the free Gamepass version - I probably would've been much more annoyed if I'd paid for the $80 deluxe version or whatever. Probably also helps that I hadn't played BG3 or the Cyberpunk expansion first either

Don’t worry it wasn’t 80 dollars. It was 100.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I think they probably found the more survival focused gameplay either not fun or too hardcore for the player base they were going for so hastily cut it out.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"A game selling well" and "A genre being a niche in terms of overall popularity" aren't in opposition to each other-- Stardew Valley sold 20 million lifetime copies, but I'd still call the Harvest Moon-adjacent farming simulator stuff "niche" in terms of overall popularity-- FIFA 2022 sold 9 million copies in a year; 2022's version of Call of Duty sold 4.7 million copies in the first day. The scales we're working with here are a bit weird, especially on these dead gay forums populated primarily by elder millenials.

All a genre being "niche" means is that there is, explicitly, a defined upper ceiling of people who will be intrested in buying the game that is significantly smaller than whatever the "most popular" genres are-- which is fine, and good, and normal, and business people hate that. Resident Evil 5 is still, to my knowledge, the best-selling individual entry in the Resident Evil series, and we all saw where that ended up.

I think you can see this with Baldur’s Gate 3 as well right now. The game probably has sold well over 10 million copies by now and still climbing, but the CRPG genre is absolutely niche. You aren’t getting millions of people buying Rogue Trader or Solasta.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Cyberpunk is an interesting comparison, because CDPR said they took a big loss on fixing the game and releasing Phantom Liberty, but I bet they would still think it was absolutely the right move to do. When it comes time to reveal Witcher 4 gameplay they want everyones memories to be I played that game when Phantom Liberty came out and it was awesome and not the disaster of a launch it had.

I'm really curious if BGS is going to try to restore the reputation of Starfield or if they even think they need to.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Herstory Begins Now posted:

consoles are 80% of the gaming market iirc

This number is complete horse poo poo.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Alchenar posted:

I always consider that chart pretty horrifying because of how much of 'mobile games' is stuff that's a smoke and mirrors for a fruit machine.

Don't forget the anime girls you add to your binder full of women. Yes I guess that is also a fruit machine.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Philippe posted:

There doesn't seem to be a real point to building outposts other than number go up. If you build an outpost that generates warp fuel you can travel further, but the warp mechanic already doesn't super work (you can basically go wherever. In Fallout 4 the system was integrated both into the other mechanics and the theme of the game. You could make a workbench to upgrade your stuff, you could sell things and display all the cool poo poo you found, in Survival mode building settlements gave you more places to save your game, and "rebuilding civilisation out of the plenty of the before-times" was a huge theme.

In Starfield everything has been settled already. There are empty planets, but they're usually empty for a reason. The mechanic is fiddly and annoying. Why bother making a base when you already have a ship full of all the things you need?

There wasn't really a reason to build more than the minimum viable settlemet in Fallout 4 either. Actually having settlers at your settlement was kind of a detriment. Having settlers farm or collect waste was no where near as good as just having a bunch of water purifiers and selling the purified water and buying any of the resources you needed as well as other useful items like ammo and medical supplies. If you had no settlers your settlements never get attacked either. Nothing more annoying than playing on survival mode and being told your settlement on the rear end end of the other map is under attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Getting rid of the gore of past games is a weird decision to me. It's an easy way to make weapons feel more impactful.