Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Excited by the Mech Warrior dogfights. I'm not a fan of twitchy flying where you get a couple shots in as you fly past each other, do a 180, get a couple more shots in, repeat.
I liked when they kicked in the grav jets and lurched forward a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Popete posted:

I guess I never really listened to Todd Howard pre-release hype before but I don't really understand the hate he gets. He seems to genuinely enjoy making these games and for all their faults they're still some of the best games being made.

He seems fine. As long as he's not pushing NFT's or hundreds of microtransactions.
I'm guessing people who followed Fallout 76 might feel differently though.

The only mod I'm guaranteed to use at the start of every Bethesda game is removing carry weight limits.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

You don't even need a mod. player.modav carryweight 50000 in the console and you are golden.

That's probably what I did, it's been years.

In one inventory screenshot it shows MASS 362/1100. Just realized weight will actually be important to get "realism" on low gravity planets. Set it to 50,000 and maybe you can jump into low orbit.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Back Hack posted:

Kind of, they keep getting asked when they say mods, do they mean their Creator Club thing or third-party mods, and so far they keep dodging that question.

I'm guessing both types like with Skyrim and Fallout.

From an AMA in 2021
ToddBethesda: Our plan it have full mod support like our previous games. Our modding community has been with us for 20 years. We love what they do and hope to see more make a career out of it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Looks like a near perfect game for me. The only thing that can bring it down is massive performance issues or bugs beyond the usual jank.

Kind of disappointed that the planets are generated on entry. Limits people being able to find gems and post where to find them. There must be a flag to lock a bunch of story related planets that modders can use to make Morrowind World.

I'm happy and sad that the physical merch is a watch, controller and headphones. Happy to save a hundred+ bucks, sad to not have a case with a VASCO figure. One in a million chance to export our ships as an STL to 3D print?
Someone did this just from the first trailer
https://www.printables.com/model/173175-starfield-chronograph-watch-case

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

samcarsten posted:

the requirements say SSD. is that really necessary?

Yes. Each jump I've made from HDD to SSD to NVME is pretty drastic with shortened load times. I don't remember the last game where I had to wait for something.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Hey maybe being owned by MS will mean Starfield will be the third game using DirectStorage. If the taskbar fixes are finally implemented I might actually upgrade to Win11 for a game.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

isndl posted:

That number of planets is mostly filler, but at the same time it'll be extremely popular with the settlement building crowd who get to have giant sandboxes to gently caress around with. I expect there's going to be "coolest planets to build a vacation home" type lists going pretty much immediately after launch....

Sounds like the vast majority of planets are generated as you approach them. So no lists to share with other people.
I think from an early interview with Todd he mentioned 1,000 being a number that they could name by hand. I figured that meant procedurally generating the biomes, fauna, flora etc and then locking it down.
I guess we'll find out later if the locked down ones are 20, 100, 500...
Maybe we will have Console Commands to set seeds for generating planets?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Got my controller today!

The more I see this the more I want one. Even though I'm keyboard/mouse, I still use an xbox controller for other games. I also have a piece of tape over the bright xbox button, and there is no way I'm putting tape on that beauty. It's dimmable on the console, so update the loving PC drivers Microsoft!

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Speaking of spouse companions. Is polygamy/cheating easier with 1,000 planets? It's unlikely they will ever run into each other.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

ohh, some nice variety in there. Hoping there's over a dozen options.

This guy's frame by frame ship customization breakdown, had some neat things. I'm really interested in the spaceport shop showing the habitat module manufacturers and variations. Some manufacturers had like 8 modules some had 3. So you can mix and match your sleeping quarters with your mess hall with your armory.

Prime material for modders to recreate the Firefly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQjP3_QTTGo

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

This is absolutely my poo poo. 30 minutes of completely unnecessarily hyper fixation on a specific video game trailer

He has even longer combat and character creation ones. Maybe too long? I only watched half of the combat one and stopped after seeing +30 damage to aliens. I'm 90% sure it means creatures, but if there are big things they haven't shown us yet, and something built the relics... I'm going to watch the showcase again, maybe they specified that.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Percentage of backers who will betray Chris Roberts and play Starfield? 5%?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

If the 4080 Ti releases just before Starfield and the 4080 gets a measly $100 price drop. Does that ever coincide with drops for 4070, 4060?
Will the 3070 even be available then?

Going from an i3 & 1060, to 3070 probably snowballs into replacing the mobo + an i5, and a 750 Watt PSU, optionally switching over to NVME SSD & Win11 on the off chance DirectStorage is ever a thing.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Aramoro posted:

There is an i7 that are compatible with my cpu socket at least. That's the upgrade I was considering, up to an i7 8700 and a 3060/3070. But I'll see.

i7 would be a good bet. Digital Foundry mentioned CPU might be the bottle neck that made them lock it to 30 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ikne_9iEI&t=576s

I asked IT if I could get $2k for a 4090, I can still hear him laughing.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I could be a rich man if Steam allowed refunds on games with under 2 hours playtime, but removed the within 2 weeks of purchase clause.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also I imagine one of the first mods someone is going to make is moving the +XP away from the very center of the screen where you are aiming.

That was in the trailer 1 year ago too. I thought it got tons of complaints, but not enough I guess.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

They are holding back the footage of visiting earth to get another hype boost before launch. The main benefit of being owned by Microsoft is that they've been able to work with the MS Flight Simulator team for a couple years now. It's the second DLC and will bring in-atmosphere flight for an additional 150GB.

You see that city? You can go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xp-SnZDoY

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

The Kindafunny podcast had an interview with Todd Howard yesterday, with questions from the community. No info is yet known but it's releasing today, 5 hours from this post (if my timezone calculations are correct).

It's up and 49 minutes long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbnDyv6g1c

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

AirRaid posted:

Todd obliquely said in the KF interview that you can't entirely "remove" or kill your companions, but you can assign them to some random backwater outpost or a ship you never use.

Put a bed in a single refinery module, on the coldest moon in a system. Sleep well, while I sleep with your boss.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

For real. I thought we were about to find out if you can in theory really walk around a planet, or if a cell is generated upon landing that will have invisible walls at the boundaries.

I'm still not sure about that. Todd has stated on three separate occasions that you can 'explore around your ship', which does make it sound like you can't explore outside of the generated cell.

Maybe the invisible walls will be oxygen level warnings, but then for planets with breathable atmosphere?
I guess I can learn to live with being confined to smaller areas. I've only circumnavigated a planet twice in No Man's Sky.
I was disappointed in no vehicles, I figured a little rover at the very least. How does Vasco or companions keep up with a leveled up booster pack player.

Also disappointed that the one asking about accessibility didn't ask about customizing the HUD as a non-confrontational way to ask if we can remove the XP bar in the middle of the screen.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Starfield going to be the prophecied third coming of Paid Mods though?

Yes. Todd mentioned in one of the recent interviews that modders should be able to make a living off of their work.
That's true I guess, but I'm hoping we find out more before it launches. Not a deal breaker but one of the reasons I haven't pre-ordered yet.
What was the percentage of Creation Club vs free for Fallout 4?
Can NexusMods be locked out for a while?
Is there any talk amongst modders?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Schubalts posted:

Creation Club mods are a tiny fraction of the overall amount of mods.

Creation Club has far stricter requirements than all the free filehosts. To get on it, a modder has to actually meet professional deadlines, and communicate with Bethesda QA.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

LOL I figured it was less than 1%, that explains why. I was just wondering what they'll be changing to try and get that number up.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/6938-starfield-general/

I didn't notice boob and butt sliders in the character creation clips. When I was playing Skyrim with 50 mods I got the feeling that would be immensely useful for deforming armour/spacesuits. Would probably fix half of the compatibility issues.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

I feel like even if you make a busty or caked up character the suit should look pretty much the same when in the space suits- they're not normal clothes and I think if you have big boobs they'd just get squished flat inside it. It's not like NASA made gendered suits irl.

Edit - found an interesting article when trying to do a bare minimum of fact checking on the NASA suit thing. They're not specifically built for men or women, but NASA did have the problem of retiring the smallest size, which was one women often needed:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2020/0720/NASA-s-spacesuits-have-a-gender-problem.-These-women-are-fixing-it

Ya, I didn't mean big boobs I meant absolutely ridiculously big boobs. I was just getting modded faces and armour on my last Skyrim playthrough and every mod needed CBBE or whatever. More sliders built in would eliminate the middle man (pervs).

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

As a 3080 owner, I'm fairly certain I can hit 60fps @1440p with everything maxed out, but if not this is lame as hell. Nvidia's only at 80% of users on Steam, no biggie.

Nvidia sponsored games allow AMD FSR alongside Nvidia DLSS, but not the other way around. Since DLSS performs better and in comparison reviews it would make AMD look bad.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Apparently one person is able to mod in DLSS into new games in like a week or something. Behind a Patreon but it's good to know it's possible!

https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/dlss-3-mods-for-star-wars-jedi-survivor-elden-ring-available-for-download/

Really hoping there are performance reviews before the early release for pre-orders. Want to play it during the long weekend.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i hope the puredark dlss mod works on the game pass version of starfield

Apparently now you can install most of them outside of the Program Files directory so you should be good.

I'm still pissed about no DLSS and raytracing built in. Not really for September but for the years to come. Imagine what the 5080 or 6080 can do, like full raytracing, HairWorks 4.0, plus whatever new tech comes out @ 4K with 120fps.
It's been covered by a bunch of places like GamersNexus and Digital Foundry, so maybe they'll be shamed into adding it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Todd said they haven't shown everything. So he didn't mean intelligent alien life or space magic? It was spoons?

First Creation Club paid mod is a spoon quest. You are delivering 5000 canisters of soup to a backwater planet, but they have no spoons. You have to travel back to Earth to find spoons before they starve.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

AirRaid posted:

If anyone is genuinely concerned, wait for Digital Foundry or GamersNexus to do some proper benchmarking. Guaranteed one or both will have a good indepth video up real soon around launch.

A great sign of performance problems will be having a review embargo before launch, but after the 5 day early access for pre-orders starts.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Sandepande posted:

I got it on Steam, I'll sink a billion hours into it anyway. Unless it's crap, but living on the edge, man.

Ya, I just did the same. I figure I can wait a few hours until word of horrendous performance or a poo poo ton of T-Posing comes out, and refund it (I won't).

I remote desktop into a PC at work and have a chat window up for a guy running a laser engraver. He's a non-gamer and I'm explaining the Premium edition and blowing his mind with game pricing. Just opened a store page for the $400 Constellation Edition.
Dude was a nurse for years, now he's learning graphic design and doing our catalog/website, learning CAD and making jigs on our giant CNC, bikes for an hour a day for fun. All that time he could have been gaming. What a loving waste.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've played twenty hours of Baldurs Gate 3 so far, this is going to be tight. Ugh, and I'd really like a week of not playing anything as a palate cleanser.

Instead of getting BG3 I've been finishing Divinity Original Sin 2. It's so good it's ALMOST tempting me to get BG3 and delay playing Starfield.
Sucks that I'm working from home and able to play Divinity for a couple hours while I'm working but September is going to be our busiest month and that Steam icon is just going to be taunting me all day long. Starf is also not going to play nice with Alt-Tabbing since it will turn my PC into a space heater for 8 hours even running in the background.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Avoid spoilers and play BG3 later, it's going to age very very well. It'll be just as good a year from now, I can't imagine anything coming along and bettering it.

Ya I'm aiming to play it over xmas break to give the story some dedicated time. No plans for DLC so no point in waiting too long.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I was going to joke about being the only person buying it on the Epic store, but it's not even there.

If review copies are being sent out soon hopefully that means they are confident enough in the game to not leave the review embargo to release day.

I guess the game is big enough that reviewers will need 2-3 weeks to get to the late game things like ship building and space magic. That also means romancing your ship will be a lengthy process and they definitely want ship loving to hit bear loving levels of viral marketing.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I would be incredibly surprised if Starfield didn't have some form of creation club stuff.

I didn't mind it in fallout 4 and skyrim as other than a free skyrim thing got from it so it was very ignoreable. Apparently in game purchases in 76 was garbage but 76 had (has?) all it's other garbage going on with it.

Not the biggest fan in game purchase stuff and wish it would go away in general, but if it just stays ignoreable as it is currently than I just forgot it there when playing so whatever.

Todd mentioned modders should get paid, so Creation Club is definitely going to be bigger than it was with Fallout. Probably still ignorable.

Someone on Reddit found a footnote "Bethesda.net account required to download certain features". Might be worth making an account now to save 5 minutes on release day.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I have no idea what Bethesda.net does and I hope I never have to learn.

Your loss. Us members got Todd's leather jacket as a cosmetic, as well as a real one that he wore for one day. I'm having a custom lightbox built with a small hole for when I need a whiff to get me through the day.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Review codes going out this week.

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1691188293008838656

Apparently he's legit? Taking a shower after linking Twitter and Reddit. If I have to install a mod to remove references to Elon Musk in this game so help me god.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/15r6hii/review_codes_go_out_later_this_week/

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I guess these early access releases are throwing things off. Diablo 4's review embargo was before the early access release date, no reason to think it won't be the same here.

For Diablo 4, non spoiler reviews were 2 days before early access release. Spoiler reviews day of early access release.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

7c Nickel posted:

The Q&A was ok, but I was far more interested in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM_1xSQCFw

Part 1 of Adam Savage and his team building a scale model Frontier with motion control mounts. Maybe part of a live action commercial? Anyway, good chance you're probably the kind of nerd who likes this stuff.

Jesus.

My hopes for being able to export your ship to STL to 3D print have been crushed. At least for a while until some talented folks rebuild all the modules with interlocking connections.
From 3:30-5 you can see the work he had to do on the 3D model from the game files. :freakout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM_1xSQCFw&t=223s

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

ThaumPenguin posted:

As somebody who loved smuggling contraband in Sunless Skies I'm intrigued about getting to do so in Starfield as well. The goods themselves probably won't be as creative, but I sure do love hidden compartments

From the Q&A yesterday, sounds like upgraded scan proof modules for when you enter cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

AirRaid posted:

FTFY. Not that there's much difference. The authorities scan you when you approach controlled planets.

Wonder what space jail is going to be like. I always just save scum when stealing and getting caught. They gonna confiscate my Space Skooma and put boots on my landing gear?