Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The new buttons
good
bad
checkbox
View Results

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
neat. my favorite is the maximize button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh whoops i ddin't make it a checkbox poll. i don't post threads very often

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

woah

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

when I first saw that I was like "wtf did safari decide to start doing something weird" but nope turns out astral is just a wizard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I immediately disabled them because they did the thing where the post window loads, I pasted in the text I was going to post (it was just a link) but then it cleared the box because something hadn't finished loading and I ABWHORE that kind of poo poo

macos does it if you try to type in your password too fast when open lappy

controversial opinion time - don't let peple type into text boxes if the text box isn't actually ready

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you came first stereotype but you did not win

I :cry: for you

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stereotype posted:

oh whoops i ddin't make it a checkbox poll. i don't post threads very often

you son of a bIctH

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
im the hosed up css when clicking maximize

i may be holding it wrong tho idk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I still dont have the butans :rant:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk why I had the experimental forum features button ticked but it’s not like a special invite thing you just go into settings and tick it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont know whjat that is.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's for the best

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

i dont know whjat that is.

click on "edit options" at the top of this god forestaken website, the scroll to the very bottom and tick the god foreskin checkbox, to experience the god forsaken bbcode features, for which god has forsakin (he fore sake it)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it clears out what you type after it loads lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

normal service resumes on mobile

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don't have those

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

it clears out what you type after it loads lol

lol yeah this has been annoying me too, also echi said it annoyed him.

literally unplayable

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

these are the buttons for people posting on a toaster running webos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

lol yeah this has been annoying me too, also echi said it annoyed him.

literally unplayable

yeah that kind of thing fucks me off so much lol

it's the worst when it happens on my macbook coz i'll type out my password and hit enter, but lo and behold, the first few characters got chopped off.

is it really so hard to leave the text field closed to input until it's ready? apparently so

what's frustrating is that I don't think turning it off fixes it, this literally unplayable bug is now a permanent friend of ours, at least I've had it happen to me even after turning it off

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

yeah that kind of thing fucks me off so much lol

it's the worst when it happens on my macbook coz i'll type out my password and hit enter, but lo and behold, the first few characters got chopped off.

is it really so hard to leave the text field closed to input until it's ready? apparently so

what's frustrating is that I don't think turning it off fixes it, this literally unplayable bug is now a permanent friend of ours, at least I've had it happen to me even after turning it off

long ago UI designers decided that it was better to display things as soon as possible regardless of if everything else was loaded and renderable or if the displayed objects were usable yet. it effectively hides loading times and makes everything "feel" very snappy, since you see simple things pop up immediately, but at the cost of actual usability. the biggest and most noticeable headache is obviously when objects that are loaded late push everything else around the screen so you click on the wrong thing as the button you were aiming for spontaneously jumps several inches away. I'm sure AB testing shows that people prefer this though.

i'm excited for this new minor annoyance of having text just vanish a second after i am able to type into the field. at least with the macos password thing it won't even display the dots so you can type the first character and see if it appears to know if the text field is actually active

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
meanwhile on my linux desktop i can type my entire password, hit enter, and be logged in before the screen even wakes from sleep

very convenient, especially when it turns out the screen wasn't even locked and i was actually typing into a chat window

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

the biggest and most noticeable headache is obviously when objects that are loaded late push everything else around the screen so you click on the wrong thing as the button you were aiming for spontaneously jumps several inches away.

OH MY loving GOD I HATE THIS

windows is a real bad one, if you have explorer up and have it as a list that's wrapping, and you click a filename to the right (where the filename is too long for the window and is partially hidden) it won't just select it but itll scroll the window for you

I can't help but wonder how many non technical women and children have been hosed over by this behaviour.

at the very least when this kind of thing happens, allow a second of grace so the person can see what the gently caress happened, rather than the second click of the double click going to a different file

I'm mad bro

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ikr

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have them now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you have what now????

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the buttons

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i had text i was typing disappear because the page hadn't fully loaded and i thought of this thread almost specifically for complaining about that precise completely inconsequential and trifling annoyance.

also i haven't clicked the buttons once

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
INCONSEQUENTIAL??????

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

i had text i was typing disappear because the page hadn't fully loaded and i thought of this thread almost specifically for complaining about that precise completely inconsequential and trifling annoyance.

also i haven't clicked the buttons once

yeah this is happening a lot now for me. lol.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
one of the buttons is now a youtube logo

please also add back the digg button tia

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
for reference.

also the whole bar is pointless and i don't think it was worth it, sorry. what matters is that you tried though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay I fixed the errant youtube button. The buttons are beautiful and will stay. The future is now.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hi jeffrey sounds good, you bought the place

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I fixed the errant youtube button. The buttons are beautiful and will stay. The future is now.

can you fix the thing where its deleting my text after i type it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fart simpson posted:

can you fix the thing where its deleting my text after i type it
It should already be fixed - can you still reproduce it?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It should already be fixed - can you still reproduce it?

i guess not? trying it out right now and your right it seems fixed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im pretty sure i saw it as recently as yesterday but everything seems ok now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

jeff of yospos please add back in the functionality that deletes fart simpson’s posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it doesnt delete them. it just makes them come out slightly slower. your out of luck op