Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

When you've got multiple monitors attached, is it possible to force windows in Win10 to appear on one specific monitor? The recommended suggestion, going to display settings and setting one of the monitors to be the primary one, does not work. Windows will still appear on whatever monitor they were last closed on. I don't have the other two monitors on when I don't need them and it makes it difficult when windows open onto them, especially since "apps" can't be moved with Win3-style keyboard shortcuts anymore (alt+space+m+arrow), only with Win+arrow, which resizes things unacceptably. I do hate when program drop legacy system that work.

Also, can you stop Windows from rearranging icons on monitors when they're off? Again, the suggested remedy doesn't work. It sometimes does, but not predictably, and usually they sort and arrange themselves into a grid, even when I don't have those options selected. I find that they'll stay where I put them when the monitor is connected with a DVI cable, but not a DisplayPort or HDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the Spain Virus posted:

When you've got multiple monitors attached, is it possible to force windows in Win10 to appear on one specific monitor?

Also, can you stop Windows from rearranging icons on monitors when they're off? Again, the suggested remedy doesn't work. It sometimes does, but not predictably, and usually they sort and arrange themselves into a grid, even when I don't have those options selected. I find that they'll stay where I put them when the monitor is connected with a DVI cable, but not a DisplayPort or HDMI.

Depending on your video card you might be able to use graphics card software to accomplish this.

Make sure you're on the latest GPU drivers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Sounds like something that DisplayFusion can handle for you. https://www.displayfusion.com/