Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I do think that DK64 and Tooie were products of their time.

Back then I could buy a single game maybe once every four or five months with all my birthday money saved up. I appreciated that these bastards lasted. Beaver Bother was horrific but it was also like two straight weeks of incredibly frustrating entertainment.

Now, sod all of that. Kazooie holds up far far better than any of the other collectathons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Banjo is probably my favorite of the N64 collect-a-thons-with-identical-controls. It's a definite step up from Mario (which, while great, could still have used some more polishing) without being as tedious and repetitive as Donkey Kong 64, which I maintain had great potential if they just cut some drat content. I'm excited to watch you play this and see what you think, Chaos.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

A crab that speaks in rhyme? Surely it's predisposed to committing crime.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I could hear this level's music in my head before I ever clicked on the link.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Goooood Treasure Trove Cove is just such an excellent beach level. In general Rareware were always masters of setting every mood of the sea, from the bright cheer of this one to the more somber atmosphere of Gloomy Galleon in DK64.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It is completely possible to KO yourself by doing a ground pound from a great height; I've done it. Darned if it's not fun, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Snacker was absolutely terrifying as a kid

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Not helping, I'm sure, is the JAWS-esque tension music that kicks in the second so much as you pinky toe touches the water. It's not scary by itself, but it does a great job of adding a little bit of extra pressure.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The dynamically changing music is one of the neatest things about Banjo Kazooie (and I believe it's the next level that has an absolute banger).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

The dynamically changing music is one of the neatest things about Banjo Kazooie (and I believe it's the next level that has an absolute banger).

Every level has absolute bangers, just to different degrees. The next level is one of the better bangers though, I agree!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is Brentilda's theme just "When I'm 64?"

Yes

Yes it is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I loved the break time commentary and what immediately followed.

Getting the big arrow next to a flight pad and then walking down and going the other way was also great.

The talk of n64 draw distance reminded me of one collectible in this level :mad:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Natural 20 posted:

Is Brentilda's theme just "When I'm 64?"

Yes

Yes it is.

I was actually watching a video yesterday that was analyzing Gruntilda's Lair's theme, that said it had the same tune as "The Teddy Bears Picnic." I would link it, but it has pretty big level spoilers for this game, plus story spoilers for Tooie.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
IIRC Snackers respawns the next time you trigger him after killing him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Can't believe how many times you flew past that green Jinjo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I like to think that they all have names.

Jinjoseph, Jinjohn, Jinjocelyn, Jinjoffrey, and Jinjolene.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

You're really throwing us for a loop argate, I didn't think your greatest enemies would be a hermit crab and a crate

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

That honeycomb on a crate out to see is so bad and its all because of that draw distance. Seriously you have to be practically in the water for it to pop in.

It looks like Argate figured out he got an extra honeycomb for ground pounding the snippets instead of using two attacks. I think they're pretty unique in doing that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always had a fondness for games that break the fourth wall, and Rare LOVES doing it

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just a heads up: I've noticed you carefully face away from where you're going before doing a backflip. It's counterintuitive, but you go farther by facing forward and moving that direction as you're flipping. You might not have noticed, but every time you try to flip backwards you slowly turn to face the way you're trying to move.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Just a heads up: I've noticed you carefully face away from where you're going before doing a backflip. It's counterintuitive, but you go farther by facing forward and moving that direction as you're flipping. You might not have noticed, but every time you try to flip backwards you slowly turn to face the way you're trying to move.

I think I did catch onto that eventually, but this is a habit I've internalized really strongly from Mario 64, among other things, so I'm sure there's a lot of unconscious habits I have that don't really make any sense in this game that do over there, haha.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
nthing the love for Clanker's music

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Clanker's blowhole also could potentially annoy an engineer, if it's an exhaust port then that bolt should be kept clear!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

As a kid I would skip the bulk of this level for as long as possible because turning the big key was too hard and I hated drowning.

Then I realised I could do it in three separate trips to the bottom, going back up for air between each turn without having to chase those air bubbles. Still hated it though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The dive down there is so "nope" that I didn't do it without the cheat that gives you infinite air

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Quackles posted:

I like to think that they all have names.

Jinjoseph, Jinjohn, Jinjocelyn, Jinjoffrey, and Jinjolene.

Jinjonathan
Jinjoseph
Jinjotaro
Jinjosuke
Jinjolyne

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hwurmp posted:

Jinjonathan
Jinjoseph
Jinjotaro
Jinjosuke
Jinjolyne

Very good.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW, once you're done with Kazooie, may I suggest the romhack Banjo-Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time? It recreates Ocarina of Time in BK, and it Is Bonkers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Actually since clanker has both a blowhole and gills...

What the heck would you classify him as? Some kind of new variety of amphibian?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

A whale shark :eng101:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FoolyCharged posted:

Classification is a fool's errand to begin with. Clanker is just a weird lad because he has for real shark gills, definitely shark tale, and a blowhole. Speaking as a professional, I would classify him as "cyborg shark," and leave it at that. Farther down that path lies madness.

sebzilla posted:

A whale shark :eng101:

I will also accept this because it made me chuckle and groan at the same time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shwarkle

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Clanker is a good boy and that is all we need to know

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's me, I'm the person who dislikes Clanker's Cavern. Mainly due to B-K's clunky swimming controls coupled with my tendency to claustrophobia that gets exaggerated in all these underwater tunnels.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Clanker's crevices, are you sure you checked 'em? Maybe that cyborg shark has a rectum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's not a whale unless it's from the Sideways Tail and No Gills region of France; otherwise it's just sharkling otter.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 5, 2022