Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The pokemon stadiums and tetris required the d pad as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
For how much of a pain Grunty Industries can be, I still like it.

I just really like the aesthetic of industrial levels.

Waaay more than the massive empty sky of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Weeble posted:

For how much of a pain Grunty Industries can be, I still like it.

I just really like the aesthetic of industrial levels.

Waaay more than the massive empty sky of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

It's rough, but it's an interesting sort of rough.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Grunty Industries is laid out more like a dungeon to crawl through with its unlockable shortcuts (beyond the usual warp-pads) and various routes you can only take in one form or the other, as opposed to the more open exploration of the rest of the levels. Or at least, it's further down that spectrum than the rest of the game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I should make a graph of unlocking everything in each world, just to see how it goes.

I probably won't, though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am kinda curious about what the most efficient way to 100% this game would be

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The sequence of identifying that you probably need something in the second floor to make the rabbit accessible in the first, looking around on said second floor and seeing the screwplate, then getting it from the outside, leading to the "aw yes we dropped the thing, we're so smart!" moment is exactly why GI is the best level in the game btw

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I am kinda curious about what the most efficient way to 100% this game would be
There's probably a 100% no glitches speedrun to answer your question thoroughly (with glitches, it's 90% shooting clockwork eggs through walls)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DK64 is not a good game by any stretch, but the Tag Anywhere mod which does what it says on the tin does a lot to make it suck less

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will always say DK64 is a perfectly fine game as long as you don't 100% it.

Also dear god, just let me have the loving Golden Banana, we don't always need a minigame

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AweStriker posted:

DK64 is not a good game by any stretch, but the Tag Anywhere mod which does what it says on the tin does a lot to make it suck less

Tag anywhere is a major quality of life improvement. It'd be hard to go back.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The power of Child Me's nostalgic memories means DK64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Just no trying to grind out a 100%.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I will always say DK64 is a perfectly fine game as long as you don't 100% it.

Also dear god, just let me have the loving Golden Banana, we don't always need a minigame

The main problem with that is you have to 100% it in order to fight the final boss. I got everything as a kid except the lousy Nintendo medal for beating the Donkey Kong arcade game and those stupid doors in K. Rool's castle taunted me forever!

Requiring 100% to finish the game is absolute nonsense and by far the biggest sin that game commits. As you saw, you can skip an entire-rear end LEVEL in Tooie and still fight the final boss! That's the way it should be.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You absolutely do not lol, what are you talking about Silver? 100 bananas (~50%), all 8 boss keys, both coins (15 of 40 banana medals for Rare Coin), and enough blueprints to give you time to get through Hideout Helm (each of which also gives you a banana so you need even less of those). Jet Force Gemini is *way* worse for requiring completion to finish it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You do need the Nintendo Coin though. That can go all the way to hell and take the Rare Coin with it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Artix posted:

You absolutely do not lol, what are you talking about Silver? 100 bananas (~50%), all 8 boss keys, both coins (15 of 40 banana medals for Rare Coin), and enough blueprints to give you time to get through Hideout Helm (each of which also gives you a banana so you need even less of those). Jet Force Gemini is *way* worse for requiring completion to finish it.

Okay I admit I have not touched the game since I was 12 and couldn't fight the final boss due to not having the Nintendo coin. I did everything else, but that stupid coin eluded me. I had zero problem with the Jet Pack one. That one was piss easy. Donkey Kong though? NOPE. Utter nonsense. So that game's biggest sin is requiring those stupid coins to fight the final boss. Fine! You win this round.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 6, 2023

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I think the logic behind it is that the pack is acting like a little boat.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Or a skipping stone. I definitely knew about this as a kid.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It's weird because I don't think it skipping across water ever comes up anywhere else. The game really should have taught you that somewhere before asking you to connect it to the moves ability to cross hazardous terrain.

Hell, for that matter, does it work on the lava in hailfire or any of the quicksand type terrain areas?

Also, it was super frustrating watching you try literally every move but the one you needed when you tried to figure it out on your own.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That also could be the logic:

Just try every move available to you.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

To save anyone time, it's not in Jamjar's rhyme.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Tower of Tragedy is definitely a lay-up compared to Grunty's Furnace Fun, even if the latter is way more interesting. Though for a moment there I thought we were going to get some unplanned drama!

Also I can't recall if you showed it off, but if you "talk" to Zombie Jingaling he shares trivia about the game's bosses!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Hooray, you did it! Congratulations! The long journey is finally over.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Hooray, you did it! Congratulations! The long journey is finally over.

We still gotta fight Grunty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Quackles posted:

We still gotta fight Grunty.

Nah. Let's just go to the party

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey I'm cool with not going back up there and just leaving Grunty to her own devices, let's go home!

No?

Alright, fine, I guess we can go finish the LP.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'll say this about Grunty, she doesn't mess around when it's go time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I love how Grunty is extra enough that she keeps adding trivia questions doing the fight. :allears: It’s a heck of a way to close out the game.

I do kind of agree that the game has higher highs and lower lows than Banjo-Kazooie. It’s a lot like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door in that regard, esp. compared to the original Paper Mario — where TTYD is great, it’s amazing (the Glitz Pit), but where it’s bad, it really sucks (the whole Doopliss incident). As there, so here. Maybe it’s an effect of having to make a sequel to a really good and really tight original game?

Anyway, congrats on the LP!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll say this about Grunty, she doesn't mess around when it's go time.

She pulls out quiz cards in the middle of a fight and if you answer right she attacks at 2/3 speed. Grunty is absolutely messing around. She pays for it too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Overall, I think one of the biggest challenges the game faced and the cause of much of its problems is that they pushed things to create really big, expansive but also intricate and complex levels, but because they were one of the first games able to do so with huge but detailed 3D free-roam level spaces like that, they didn't have the benefit of knowledge later games developed of the affordances and guides and assistance in getting around and mentally placing yourself that you need to incorporate to make those larger spaces actually work well and play fun.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 8, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This fight will always make me think of my summer camp girlfriend from 2000, who called during the holiday break of that year while I was in the middle of this fight and so I sat there for at least 30 minutes with the game paused while I talked to her. There's a lot going on in this battle so maybe that was the edge I needed in order to beat it?

Quackles posted:

I love how Grunty is extra enough that she keeps adding trivia questions doing the fight. :allears: It’s a heck of a way to close out the game.

:same:

Anyway good job, now for a bonus ep of you collecting those last three Jiggies.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The final boss is great because it's a goofy mix up of stuff you've done while still feeling like a boss fight even as Grunty tells you to stop for trivia time.

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah. Let's just go to the party

Ok, so now that we have seen the end I'll say that this wasn't just a gag. If you had tried to go back to bottles' house and enter the party after his revival you would have found yourself locked out of the house and allowed only to listen to the raging party inside and watch the disco lights glowing out the windows. I forget if anything fun happens with jingaling after his revival.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

So, uh, DK64 when? :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:getout:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Krackshot Kroc really could use a throat drop.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you thought Banjo-Tooie took a long time, DK64 is way longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So Jet Force Gemini next then?