Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

As well as the nice save for the timed Jiggy I was also impressed that you didn't dump into the swamp when you slid down Tanktup's back.

Some rapid flap taps.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Is it just me or did “Lesson 1” sound suspiciously like a certain be-memed skeleton battle theme?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It went by in a flash, but during the frog fight you picked up a shat-out egg and it counted as an egg for your ammo. Remember to recycle y'all!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sam Vimes would hate this level

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hwurmp posted:

Hidetaka Miyazaki would love this level.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Thanks to Argate's thorough and extensive research in the bog, we can conclude its most dangerous fauna is not the gator but instead the frog!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does anyone know if this game was in development when Diddy Kong Racing came out?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
According to Wikipedia, development on BK proper started in March '97 (not counting the work on "Dream", the prototype for SNES), and DKR released in November of that year so I imagine there must have been some overlap.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thanks. When we saw Tiptup it reminded me that when this game came out I thought that meant Diddy Kong Racing was some kinda promo game and there were also games for like Bumper, Pipsy, and the others coming down the road.

I wanted a Bumper game so bad, you guys

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 9, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hwurmp posted:

:hmmyes:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The real question is what kind of band is Grunty in? With her love of rhyming I'm going to guess she's a rap star in her spare time.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Banjo Kazooie is far and away the best N64 platformer. There was an LP a few years ago by one Hamsterlady that covered the sequels, which I hadn't played, but they're all fascinating. Tooie is truly impressive in its scope. I think she gave up on Nuts and Bolts in the end and frankly I don't blame her. For all the cool systems in that game it's kind of a bore.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm surprised they even made the N64 version available on modern platforms with those remasters out there. It's an... interesting decision you made to go for this one. I could never go back to the old note score mechanic.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, there is *a* remaster and it was made in 2008 for the 360 and included as part of Rare Replay (not even as a native Xbone port, it's just the 360 version again). It's not surprising that they just put the rom up on NSO, that's how Nintendo has always handled their Virtual Console stuff.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I believe I mentioned this at the start of the LP, but I don’t own any of the Xbox consoles so my options for playing this were either the NSO version or the N64 cart and I’m not about to buy an Xbox just for Rare Replay.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The XBLA version also emulates pretty well in Xenia.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The XBLA version also emulates pretty well in Xenia.

On the other hand, we get to see a first time player experience Click Clock Woods the way it was meant to be played and that's pretty exciting too!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Beartaco posted:

On the other hand, we get to see a first time player experience Click Clock Woods the way it was meant to be played and that's pretty exciting too!

Rusty Bucket Bay will be fun too, although save states will probably take some of the jeopardy away

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Beartaco posted:

But all versions of the game feature profusely swearing because you reached the end of the stage only to realize you missed 4 notes somewhere within that monstrosity?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if there will be any more nasty traps like that totem in the first level.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The grumblies clearly taste grumbly and yumbly. Also they change in color with ripeness like bell peppers. And as you demonstrated Mr vile isn't actually all that bad to beat despite the hype he got.

That grunting at the end had it coming

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
It's true, the internet has nothing negative to say about me.

(Grumblies and Yumblies taste like mushrooms)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I recall the room with the big jar having framerate problems on the N64, so the frame dropping here is either really good emulation or really bad emulation depending on how you choose to define it :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I recall the room with the big jar having framerate problems on the N64, so the frame dropping here is either really good emulation or really bad emulation depending on how you choose to define it :v:

We'll call it accurate emulation. :v:

Nintendo's actually been pretty good about more accurate emulation with NSO; Majora's Mask has another good example where there's a cutscene that lags to hell and back, so the music for said cutscene was composed to match how fast the scene plays out. When the Wii VC version dropped, that lag no longer existed, so the cutscene and music desynced pretty badly and NSO's version of the scene artificially adds lag to the scene to better line up with the intended playback rate of the scene.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yumblies mature into Mumblies, and a Mumblie who is fed royal jelly will metamorphose into a Mumbo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hwurmp posted:

Yumblies mature into Mumblies, and a Mumblie who is fed royal jelly will metamorphose into a Mumbo

But then how do you size them up into a Jumbo Mumbo?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you may JumboSizeTM your MumboTM ComboTM for just $4.99

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Nintendo's actually been pretty good about more accurate emulation with NSO; Majora's Mask has another good example where there's a cutscene that lags to hell and back, so the music for said cutscene was composed to match how fast the scene plays out. When the Wii VC version dropped, that lag no longer existed, so the cutscene and music desynced pretty badly and NSO's version of the scene artificially adds lag to the scene to better line up with the intended playback rate of the scene.

That actually happened with this game too. The initial Xbox port had a noticeable audio desync in the intro movie because the Xbox loaded scene transitions faster. And then when they made the Tooie port they didn't learn from the experience and that games longer intro had a point where a musical sting happened over 32 seconds late.

This is noticeably absent in the nso version.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grunty's paying her St. Dungball's tuition with that Witch rear end Pussy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I imagine what's awful about Grunty polishing her crystal ball is how she does it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

FoolyCharged posted:

That actually happened with this game too. The initial Xbox port had a noticeable audio desync in the intro movie because the Xbox loaded scene transitions faster. And then when they made the Tooie port they didn't learn from the experience and that games longer intro had a point where a musical sting happened over 32 seconds late.

This is noticeably absent in the nso version.

I think that's just for Tooie which has like a 20 minute intro cutscene. I don't recall it happening for Kazooie.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I think that's just for Tooie which has like a 20 minute intro cutscene. I don't recall it happening for Kazooie.

It does, but it is substantially less noticeable with the shorter movie and fewer scene changes.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is the Grunty statue giving the finger?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hwurmp posted:

Grunty's paying her St. Dungball's tuition with that Witch rear end Pussy

Please stop. I beg of you.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It didn't take you long at all to beat Mr. Vile; it was only your second try, and you did it with style!

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

ChaosArgate posted:

Sure, that's the N64 Zelda game whose performance on NSO you mention.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Sure, that's the N64 Zelda game whose performance on NSO you mention.

I haven't actually played much of either N64 Zeldas on NSO but I thought Ocarina's emulation was getting better with patches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The beak bomb fills a vital need in letting you get around levels quickly (since your flying speed is so slow), but aiming is more an art than a science. I'm not sure if it's a cruel trick by the devs that this level is enclosed on all side by walls rather than being truly open-air like Treasure Trove Cove.