Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/rob_schaef/status/1582426846091624448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Basketball podcasts are tricky because there's a sweet spot between people that are boring (most sports writers) or entertaining people that don't know much and will go off on a tangents that are just wrong. That's really hard to find.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fate Accomplice posted:

my only NBA dedicated podcast is the Lowe Post - if I'm going to add one more for the season, what should it be?

Heres my list aside from lowe
1. Nerder she wrote sub podcast under the athletic NBA show feed
2. Sam vecenie podcast
3. Hoop collective on espn

That’s it

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rick posted:

At this point I'd try to find one of the 100 athletic sampler feed and see if you like any of those and go from there.

Nate Duncan has a hilarious paywall. If you like super nerdy cap stuff and pasty reporters personally insulting players for not playing basketball the way they like try this one.

The Duncan thing makes slightly more sense when you remember Duncan himself is 6'4", it seemed a lot less dweeby that way. Like someone said before ITT the Mock Offseason/simulated trade deadline/simulated player extension stuff is what really makes it worth it (before the price hike), the rest you can get from just subscribing to the Athletic

Vecenie is great if you like prospects/draft stuff

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Without Lonzo I think you have to start Patrick Williams. When Lonzo gets back I think the defense has enough breathing room to going back to Demarr PF or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/WBDSportsPR/status/1582429965907173376

Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahaha

I'm ascending.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Isentropy posted:

The Duncan thing makes slightly more sense when you remember Duncan himself is 6'4", it seemed a lot less dweeby that way. Like someone said before ITT the Mock Offseason/simulated trade deadline/simulated player extension stuff is what really makes it worth it (before the price hike), the rest you can get from just subscribing to the Athletic

Vecenie is great if you like prospects/draft stuff

I definitely enjoy the mock offseason, no one is going to get into that much depth, it's like fan board level of dedication (in a good way) for 30 different teams.

And yeah I LOVE Vecenie for draft stuff, good call out.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'm ascending.

NEW MEDIA

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

I'm ascending.

So this is most insane preseason marketing stunt since Ron Artest asked for time off to promote his rap album

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Draymond punched that boy for content 😭

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Not a bust! Is lie!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

de curry GOAT posted:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

That man dgaf

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

de curry GOAT posted:

Yes, this is accurate.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fate Accomplice posted:

I enjoyed Duncan for a few years till the paywall went up and aside from the free agent LARP episodes I don't miss it.

I've been hoping for something as good as Effectively Wild for baseball or Around the NFL for football.

I have been enjoying the Dunker Spot podcast when I feel like I need really detailed on-court analysis, I feel like they are a similar vibe of "smart-but-not-particularly-charismatic and mostly low key" as Effectively Wild. They could really use an audio engineer or something, though, Nekias is too quiet and Steve is too loud. Doris Burke is on their latest episode!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

I'm ascending.

How is the NBA so good and every other sports league so bad

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

They released this photo on purpose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Green is functionally just a YouTuber at this point

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Geeked for this season more than any season in recent memory, let's goooooo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OzFactor posted:

I have been enjoying the Dunker Spot podcast when I feel like I need really detailed on-court analysis, I feel like they are a similar vibe of "smart-but-not-particularly-charismatic and mostly low key" as Effectively Wild. They could really use an audio engineer or something, though, Nekias is too quiet and Steve is too loud. Doris Burke is on their latest episode!

3 hour division previews...

SOLD.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Of course, Rick's Basketball Done Quick podcast is the best of them all..........

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Rick posted:

At this point I'd try to find one of the 100 athletic sampler feed and see if you like any of those and go from there.

Open Floor is often bad now that there is no Michael Pina but sometimes they find magic in whatever random pairing SI found.

Nate Duncan has a hilarious paywall. If you like super nerdy cap stuff and pasty reporters personally insulting players for not playing basketball the way they like try this one.

Greatest of All Talk now is pretty bad now, don't waste your money. Ben is in full pasty reporter personally insulting players for not playing basketball the way he likes mode but like next level in that he says things that i'm pretty sure would get him punched in the face if he said them directly to the player, plus he's not even knowledgeable like Duncan is at least, just constant screams about +/- and his cohost doesn't even watch basketball anymore.

It's a dire time.

drat when you’re right you’re right. I’ve been listening to Open Floor and GoAT out of habit and I enjoy the dynamics but often feel like I’m smarter than the hosts which is not great.

Andrew Sharp is in full on euphronius mode with boomer brain takes, like lowering the draft age to 18 will somehow dilute the talent pool, while also being a tech bro, and Golliver is so into his personal concept of basketball pureness that he might as well be Danny DeVito slithering around the floor naked shaved and fully lubed with Purell.

I underrated Pina but reading some of his stuff (his new article at the Ringer is great https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/10/18/23409401/nba-predictions-season-preview-nikola-jokic-zion-williamson ) and hearing Rohan and Herring (who himself is probably growing out of it with his recent book writing success) try to maintain has been rough.

I still listen to No Dunks who are great considering it’s a freaking daily pod. A lot of fluff but enjoyable. But who knows now that their smart guy Leigh Ellis is moving on to travel the world playing pickup.

I also moved and have an 8 minute walk to work so I’m not getting in the commuter consumption I was before.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why does tatum have his son with him in that bus drawing?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Apple hijacked the Utah jazz’s twitter hashtag https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2022/10/18/take-note-jazz-may-have-lost-their-hashtag-to-apple.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/1582462055436939264?s=20&t=5YKm-JSyz3Tp9GCHaZVMdg

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Thought that was Hinrich on the left

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

The Maestro posted:

I still listen to No Dunks who are great considering it’s a freaking daily pod. A lot of fluff but enjoyable. But who knows now that their smart guy Leigh Ellis is moving on to travel the world playing pickup.

I also moved and have an 8 minute walk to work so I’m not getting in the commuter consumption I was before.

I tried listening to No Dunks when I was desperate for basketball content to keep my mind busy during commuting, but I only lasted a couple weeks. It takes like 5 minutes just to get through the same stupid intros for everyone and they do that every single episode. And I found the Australian guy annoying cause he's Australian.

If you search Spotify or whatever for the team you support you might get lucky and find a team podcast that is half decent. The Clippers have a couple that are ok, and they often have on local beat writers and sometimes even players.

I kinda miss Pod Don't Lie - it was barely about basketball but it was definitely entertaining.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/msinger/status/1582443168745680896

lmao roasted

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jfc

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I listen to The Lowe Post when it looks interesting and Greatest of all Talk. Still holding out hope Pod Don't Lie will come back.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Apologies if this has been discussed already:

What's the difference between team pass and league pass? Besides the $10 of course

Is it literally "watch any game featuring X team" vs "watch any game from any team?" Can you watch games after they've aired?

I just wanna watch Spurs games like a degenerate (edit: I don't live in the San Antonio market) but if it's literally just $10 more to watch any game then it seems obvious to go with league pass.

Disillusionist fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 18, 2022

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Dexo posted:

I'm ascending.

Thank you, Warner Bros. Discovery Sports U.S. PR.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Disillusionist posted:

What's the difference between team pass and league pass? Besides the $10 of course

Is it literally "watch any game featuring X team" vs "watch any game from any team?" Can you watch games after they've aired?

I just wanna watch Spurs games like a degenerate (edit: I don't live in the San Antonio market) but if it's literally just $10 more to watch any game then it seems obvious to go with league pass.

Yep, you've got it all correct. And yes, you can watch after they're aired. If it's a national TV game there's a delay of a few hours before the game is available, if it's a locally broadcast game it's a few days to wait

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 18, 2022

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Of course, Rick's Basketball Done Quick podcast is the best of them all..........

QuickBoyz unite.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OzFactor posted:

Doris Burke is on their latest episode!

Augh!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

snyprmag posted:

I think Phoenix should have extended Johnson. I may be over valuing him because I like UNC guys, but if he is a good as a starter he could demand a pretty penny next summer.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1582129374450839552?s=46&t=MvB9tozBprKOxZ7V75_aMQ

Awww I was hoping to lock Grant up.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

abelwingnut posted:

why does tatum have his son with him in that bus drawing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2Ce7sYBH0

He is a fixture and very cute/cool.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Heres my list aside from lowe
1. Nerder she wrote sub podcast under the athletic NBA show feed
2. Sam vecenie podcast
3. Hoop collective on espn

That’s it

The Hoop Collective is surprisingly good. Not a lot of deep Xs and Os but a nice survey of the league from tolerable sportswriters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Disillusionist posted:

Yeah you got it. I actually want to upgrade from from team to full with no ads but I can't figure out how.