Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

What are some of the worst things you have said, or have heard said to someone in grief? I got to attend a funeral and want to make sure I don’t gently caress it up, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Generally acceptable: the "they're in a better place" platitude

Unacceptable: following it up with "I mean, have you seen where they used to live?"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I went to a funeral for a 4 year old and said that at least there would be an opportunity for the pall bearers to be closer

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
"I'm sorry your deadbeat ex-husband domestic abusing worthless excuse for a human being killed themselves.. but the world is better off"... it was quite inappropriate, because I forgot to mention "alimony-dodging"

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
One should be legally permitted to murder anyone who says, "God never gives us more than we can handle!"

Edit: or any variation of "it's all a part of God's plan"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sorry for your boobs

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I had JWs show up to my door after the funeral pushing Watchtower literature on grieving. Pretty clear that they read the obituaries to look for weak people to target. I regret merely slamming the door in their face.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's considered gauche to start asking for your cut of the inheritance or any family heirlooms before the finger sandwiches and coffee is served after the funeral service.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you’ll get over it

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

So, your late husband’s Mustang. Got any plans for it?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

run on sentience posted:

One should be legally permitted to murder anyone who says, "God never gives us more than we can handle!"

Edit: or any variation of "it's all a part of God's plan"

Oh ya good one. I know the old “when god closes a door he opens a window” didn’t do well at those Grenfell wakes.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

"I hope I look that good when I'm dead."

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
One should definately not intone "Ludicrous Gibs!" no matter the circumstances.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I had JWs show up to my door after the funeral pushing Watchtower literature on grieving. Pretty clear that they read the obituaries to look for weak people to target. I regret merely slamming the door in their face.

Had a boss once who was like a rich, sex addict, no wristwatch but lots of bracelets, goes tanning, yuppie douchebag JW and the go-to slight against him would be "Happy Birthday, rear end in a top hat!" or "Merry Christmas, rear end in a top hat!" or something seasonally appropriate.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

“It’s ironic isn’t it. A nut brought her into this world…..”

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
His glasses! Where are his glasses?! He can't see without his glasses!!!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"One step closer to winning that tontine, eat poo poo suckers!!"

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

"Hello, I'm also dead"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

How could they let Hilary down like this. It’s like they want a Cheeto in the White House

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

"I'm here to chew rear end and kick bubblegum"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

At my grandmother's funeral my mom turned to me while my cousin was giving the eulogy and said "Sorry she never really liked you." which was both accurate and kind of a weird thing to say.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hello, I've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Look at least he’ll finally stay 6 feet apart from grandma

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
He knew he could never match up to me. Thats why he died. I'm just too cool.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so... wanna do it?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

What are some of the worst things you have said, or have heard said to someone in grief? I got to attend a funeral and want to make sure I don’t gently caress it up, again.

Loudly put the hard word on the bereaved's spouse.

Try to drag the deceased's body out of the coffin while accusing them of pretending to be dead.

During the eulogy, after each compliment about the deceased, angrily yell, "'So's my dick!" Continue until you're thrown out.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 21, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Huh, I guess he did fit after all. Looks like I owe your sister $50.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

“I’m so sorry about your wife’s heat attack, but we all took a vote and agree it should be closed casket”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

"You're next. Bitch."

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

lol.

just lol.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
he's wandering the halls of illusion in the dark carnival now. whoop whoop!!!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Didn't know him. I'm just here to meet people.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Thoughts and prayers

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Funny story. I was the one that bet her that she couldn't fit the whole thing up there.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No, you are wrong, I just saw them. No for real, go check.

And then you like, point them around the corner or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You look like my anime waifu.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I told you. I told all of you. And you all ignored me, because it didn't fit with your pleasant world view. Look what you did. Or rather, think about what you never did. I hate you. I despise your very being, sitting there with tears and words of "how could anyone know" because you did know. And you did nothing. You worthless, horrible filth.

Also is the bar open or do I need to start a tab?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
F A T A L I T Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
good thing it was ruled an accident, eh? i was pretty worried for a second there!