Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This is an outdated view of addiction, one that isn’t currently held by any major addiction medicine organization. Please educate yourself further before speaking out on topics of which you are ignorant. Willfully spreading this disinformation is harmful.

If addiction is a disease, and a disease is harmful, I fail to see how addiction is not also a health harm contrary to what you're saying. Also, this is D&D. Bring your own sources instead of demanding other people go educate themselves. If you have data to utilize backing up what you're saying (and what are you even saying? You forgot to include a point in your post scolding), then post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Trump murdered a foreign head of state and bragged about it on Twitter. He also suggested we use nukes against hurricanes.

So yeah, depends on what your definition of "dangerous" is.

He killed the leader of Iran's Quds Force, not a head of state

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I can't think of anything particularly unique to the washington state fair that is disgusting. If anything, they have a surprising amount of genuinely good food, even if some of it ain't good for you. Like the worst I can think of is maybe seattle fudge (too dry and crumbly) and some of the more generic fair food like candied apples and those comically large carnival pops.

It's been over a decade since I last went and I still think about the fair scones. I always came home with at least a dozen just for myself.

Seattle Dogs. They have cream cheese

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh man gonna get so god drat many fund raising texts out of this. Actual legislation? Nah go gently caress yourself you peons.

Jesus Christ they're already coming in as a deluge

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There's a lot of claims being made that prominent Dems/Biden staffers are off the record and on background making statements that Biden shouldn't run and is in decline, etc. Can someone please post those?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Joe Cunningham, a former SC Dem rep, has also called for Pres. Pop-Pop to make it one & done.

The WaPo surveyed 12 of its columnists on whether Biden should run for reelection and the notable no's are, imo:

Eugene Robinson
Greg Sargent
EJ Dionne

Hugh Hewitt was the 4th no but who gives a poo poo what he thinks. Otoh, if you believe J. Rubin, J. Capehart & M. McArdle to be fonts of wisdom, then place your bets on yes.

Thank you Willa, I'll give those a read

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for the sources, Willa - reading through them, the case against Biden running only gets reinforced with the more time he's in office. Biden's biggest weakness is his age and I've always felt that, but then again I feel that about Bernie too, and I did in 2016 when I caucused for him. That Bernie had a heart attack during the primary just made that feeling validated, and I halfway expect to wake up to a CNN headline about Biden having a stroke or something almost every day. This problem extends to Nancy Pelosi, Feinstein, Hoyer, hell pick a name out of a hat and they're likely over the age of 70 if the name pool is the Democratic Party leadership.

The Soviet Union had a problem with gerontocracy too - how long until we get our American version of Brezhnev-Andropov-Chernenko all in one term?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'd like to take a second and brag about what Washington State is doing to protect abortion rights:

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/05/03/washington-governor-inslee-promises-to-defend-abortion-rights/

Jay INSLEE posted:

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee decried a draft U.S. Supreme Court opinion that would throw out the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling and said the state would provide sanctuary for women outside the state seeking abortions and would explore ways to codify abortion rights in the state’s Constitution.

Inslee, joined by other Democratic leaders at a rally Tuesday in Seattle, also said he would work to ensure the state had adequate resources to provide abortion services to those traveling to the state for the procedure.

“They will be welcome, and they will be safe,” Inslee said.

The leaked draft of the U.S. Supreme Court opinion — which could change before the court is expected to officially rule next month — was published by the news outlet Politico late Monday.

Abortion has been legal in Washington since a 1970 referendum. A 1991 ballot measure, also approved by voters, declared a woman’s right to choose physician-performed abortion prior to fetal viability and further expanded and protected access to abortion in the state if Roe v. Wade was overturned. And in 2018, the Democratic-led Legislature passed a measure that would require Washington insurers offering maternity care to also cover elective abortions and contraception.

Earlier this year, Inslee signed into law a measure that increases the number of providers who can provide abortions, granting specific statutory authorization for physician assistants, advanced registered nurse practitioners and other providers acting within their scope of practice.

The measure also prohibited legal action against people seeking an abortion and those who aid them, a move designed to rebut recent actions by conservative states. Conservative legislatures in several states have either passed or proposed new abortion restrictions in anticipation of possible changes to the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling.

Washington’s measure, which takes effect in June, prohibits the state from taking any action against an individual seeking to end their pregnancy or for assisting someone who is pregnant in obtaining an abortion.

The language is in response to a Texas law, which took effect last September, and which bans abortion after roughly six weeks of pregnancy and makes no exceptions in cases of rape or incest. The enforcement of the law is left up to private citizens, who can collect $10,000 or more if they bring a successful lawsuit against a provider or anyone who helps a patient obtain an abortion.

If Inslee pushes for a constitutional amendment, as Democratic leaders in California have announced they would do, Democratic leaders would need to secure bipartisan support since the Democratic majority in the Washington Legislature does not hold a supermajority in either chamber, and it takes a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot.

Democratic Speaker Laurie Jinkins said in a phone interview that a constitutional amendment to enshrine abortion rights in the state Constitution is hard to achieve “but that’s an option we would consider.”

She said for now though, her focus was to protect the current protections in state law and “to continue to make sure that everyone in this state has access.”

Inslee also noted that the state Supreme Court could codify abortion rights in the state constitution, but said that would take litigation and time.

Senate Republican Leader John Braun said that the court opinion “does not change much in our state.”

“Democrats have been quick to point out that the law here in Washington continues to provide opportunities for abortion procedures,” he said in a written statement. “Whatever the law, whatever your politics, fewer abortions should be a common goal.”

Twenty-six states are certain or likely to ban abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned, according to the pro-abortion rights think tank the Guttmacher Institute. Of those, 22 states already have total or near-total bans on the books that are currently blocked by Roe, aside from Texas. The Texas law banning it after six weeks has been allowed to go into effect by the Supreme Court due to its unusual civil enforcement structure. Four more states are considered likely to quickly pass bans if Roe is overturned.

Sixteen states and the District of Columbia, meanwhile, have protected access to abortion in state law.

I like my governor

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Again, stop letting the minority make decisions for the majority, maybe those kids could move. Go to free university. Democrats, the left, whoever. Start campaigning on something else than bringing the country together when a good 30-40 percent wants the rest of the country to suffer.

Who the hell has free university??

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Taiko posted:

The saddest part is that it was probably a really nice burger that someone who works in the White House Mess had done a really good job of cooking. "Well I know he likes it well done, but that doesn't mean there can't be flavor," the person said as they made the patty, seasoned it, and cooked it with care. Then it was carried upstairs and what happened happened.

I didn't know you could make me feel sad over Trump pitching a hissy fit and launching a burg into the wall to leave a slapstick trail of ketchup down the wall, but drat it, you did it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Speaking of chud propaganda, that's a key thing the Dems lack, and it ties directly into their lack of any kind of ability at all with messaging. I'm going to do something strange and that is praise the chud propaganda, but I want you to bear with me.

Remember in late 2015 and 2016 throughout the GOP primary? There was a popular series of videos called "You can't stump the Trump", that relied heavily on memes and used Krewella's song "Centipede" to help glue together a pro-Trump chud identity. They called him and each other nimble navigators, "pedes", those videos were a rallying point for the terminally online chud faithful and it helped create a community of proto-brownshirts where there wasn't one before. Hell, I was posting nonstop in the Dem primary threads about caucusing for Bernie in 2016 and even I found the Can't Stump The Trump videos to be fun (caveat, that is no longer the case and I now recognize them for what they are and I did not necessarily recognize them as such when I was stupid at 25-26 years old). That's very effective propaganda. That's just one example. You can use the Pepe meme as one, pick a 4chan meme out of a hat and it was used for propaganda purposes, but all of this begs the question: where was the Left's propaganda?

Sure, you had Bernie "I am no longer asking..." memes, Gritty, and the like. But the Left's propaganda has always lagged far behind the Right's. The Left is awful at creating unifying messages that are simple and easy to digest - what's the Leftist counter to something like "nimble navigator" and the like? It seems stupid, and in a vacuum it is, but placed into context, the Left is far worse at any sort of community building either online or in person compared to the Right.

The key to any ideological battle is in messaging - getting your view across to as many people as possible, as simply as possible. Leftists get bogged down in wonky policy and infighting that it prevents them from coming up with easy-to-consume unifying talking points, and this is going to continue hurting the Left going forward because there's just NO messaging whatsoever right now, let alone GOOD messaging, or messaging that can be turned into propaganda.

We need to be able to distill our points down to memetic talking points if we are to garner any kind of support among the population. There's just too much going on at once for anyone to just go check a candidate's campaign site or research on their own. If we can't get our points across in two sentences or less, we will not be able to win people over. If you're explaining, you're losing, and the chuds figured this out a long time ago.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
People don't protest and riot now because they have too much to lose but at the rate this is going people won't HAVE anything left to lose before long so imo it's a matter of time before the lumpenprole are so beaten and stolen from that they don't have money, food, jobs, meds, all they have left is a bunch of time and anger.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the democratic party is in full control of the lawmaking branches of government.
the democratic party is, also, incapable of using that control to do anything, because it has no mechanisms for disciplining anyone in its right.

this really takes the teeth out of their assertion that if they have a little more control of the government they'll be able to do anything. because surprise! all it takes is one more Sinema and never-you-fuckin-mind, they STILL can't do anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is a bullshit probe. "Stale argument" is a bad reason to probe someone who is correct. There's no fresh argument to make because the Dems haven't changed their operating procedures in the past decade. They've done this since my first votes in 2008, they're doing it now, and there's no reason to think they won't do it in the future.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

This is solid. Always forget how good a speaker he is.

A friend mentioned she was against abortion when I brought it up the other day, she's a 64 y/o secretary. She immediately referenced the graphic pictures and that was pretty much the entirety of her reasoning for the position. I walked her through some of the basic medical realities, late-term stats, wrapped up with Ireland/Savita Halappanavar, and she was receptive.

How'd that turn out?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jimmy Carter speed run? Really not getting the comparisons between Biden and Carter. Granted Carter was before my time, but from what I've read about the guy he seems like he was on the right side of history on most things and was sure as poo poo less evil than the guy who came after him (Ronald "let's ignore AIDS and destroy unions" Reagan).

Carter also lost a humiliating defeat to Reagan in a landslide blowout, 489-49 in the electoral college.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 2, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I severed from my entire chud family and haven't spoken to either of my sisters in months, and I've never been happier.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Weed helped me get through the Trump years of bullshit and I don't ancitipate the bullshit levels decreasing any going forward. Thank loving God that weed is legal in WA

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

JonathonSpectre posted:

Trump literally told them to let the armed terrorists in because "they're not here to shoot me."

He was told they had guns and said, "Let them in!"

Hey idk if you care or noticed or not but I bought your avatar like 3 and a half years ago or something because someone put a bunch of slurs in your redtext and it made public scrolling awkward, if you want it changed lmk and i'll replace it with something of your choosing because it can come off like you're a racist or something otherwise, idk why it took me so long to realize this but anyway the offer is open and I posted it here because you don't have Plat, so I accept any probes coming from derailing but felt like I should make the offer anyway

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
E: nvm, not worth it

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Nice opinions indeed.

Electricity in Seattle is $0.1056-$0.1307 per kwh today:

https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/residential-services/billing-information/rates

At the end of December 2021, statista reported:

I can’t find a good source in English for more recent consumer electricity prices in Germany right away, but this source from July 2022 reports an average of USD 0.39:

https://www.electricrate.com/data-center/electricity-prices-by-country/#Countries_With_Most_Expensive_Electricity_Prices

The USA is not even in the top 20 countries for electricity prices, of which 11 are in Europe.

You're comparing Seattle City Light, a taxpayer subsidized municipal utility, with privatized electric. Look up the rates for Georgia Power and get back to me.

I am a Seattleite, I know how this works. SCL is billed bimonthly and routinely 50-60% less than the average cost of a non-municipal utility. More Americans are served by private electric utilities than aren't. SCL specifically receives taxpayer and state funding subsidies to keep costs of utilities low for those who are covered under it. SCL also ONLY covers Seattle city limits, which covers less than half of the Seattle-Tacoma metro population. Much more is covered by Puget Sound Energy than not, which is substantially more expensive than SCL.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 8, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Flying-PCP posted:

How many states have a further left government overall? Honest question, I know precious little about the local politics in most states.

Washington

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sharkie posted:

The United States is a nation of laws. Laws matter. Laws are why we can't have healthcare or a livable minimum wage. And laws are going to put Donald Trump behind bars.

donald trump will never spend a day behind bars whatsoever because laws do not exist for anyone over a sufficient level of wealth and power, laws are just a bunch of words people agree to follow because the people with the weapons say to follow it or bad things will happen, adn the people that control the weapon wielders are not going to go enforce bad things happening upon themselves. Laws only matter because laws are enforced upon you, laws intrinsically only matter to YOU because YOU are not sufficiently wealthy or powerful enough to avoid the consequences. You're just You, you're not the one signing the checks. So of course laws matter to You and I can't blame you for not thinking otherwise because you've never known what it was like to be protected by the law but not bound by the law, because the law doesn't serve you

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m not neutral. I just think either possibility could happen here.

And that we get to find out. One side is going to be correct after this. Ambiguity about our system is about to come to an end.

I feel confident in my response because I don't believe there ever was any ambiguity. Powerful people simply do not face meaningful consequences in this country, full stop.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's not a nebulous lack, I was asking you to specifically name major pieces of republican legislation from the last decade. The existence of which would disprove the assertion that dems have effectively opposed republican legislation.

Tax cuts and jobs act for one

Edit: lol nevermind someone else gave the same example and you moved the goalposts because you never defined what you consider "major" in the first place.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

amy coney barrett was unanimously opposed by dems. kavanaugh was 50-48 with 1 dem voting for him. gorsuch had 3 dems vote for him, but the tally was 54-45, so their votes didn't matter

Very successful stonewalling by the Dems as all of those justices strip away rights

In truth, Trump was far more successful at derailing the Republican plans than the Dems were. Trump routinely blew up deals with tweetstorms whenever he'd get mad about something and just torpedo the entire thing by getting his voters rallied against it. I'm pretty sure even McCain killing their Obamacare repeal at the last second was the result of Trump attacking him for months at that point

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rigel posted:

All right, I am completely done with you. If this is posting about posters and I have to eat a probe, so be it.

For a long time now you have been bizarrely, almost obsessively attacking me over and over again on this board whenever you think you see some kind of a gotcha, even when I post something uncontroversial that the rest of the board mostly agrees with. And you don't do it civilly AT ALL, you keep coming after me with anger, as if you are just itching for a forum fight. Well I am not interested in an internet fight with you on a dying comedy message board.

I really don't get it, but for some weird reason you hate me, so I'm done. I am putting you on ignore.

I don't know you or your posts from a hole in the ground but I don't think it's unreasonable for you to state the justification for why you think that you need popular support for criminal proceedings against a president. That's an extremely relevant question because it places the rest of your posts in context so why not just answer it

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Crain posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1553054547970760704

Really wondering if it's worth keeping this stand-off going. Sure, state media + saber rattling + status quo of S.E.A politics but with Ukraine still being at war, China facing economic upheaval, and newly crowed President for Life Xi wanting to put that conquest feather in his cap before he's dead, I'm not thinking it's a good idea to keep provoking this.

What was the original reason for her going there anyway? Just vacation?

China knows if they shoot down the third-in-line of US government succession then it will be nuclear war shortly after

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Levitate posted:

Obama did fine against Romney and McCain? People were mostly excited about him even for his second term?

Obama was on track to probably lose to Romney until Hurricane Sandy wiped out NJ and NYC and Obama's response to it and subsequent praise by Christie did a lot to raise his approvals above Romney's in time for the election. That always seemed strange to me, but here's the polling:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2012/10/29/presidential-race-dead-even-romney-maintains-turnout-edge/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/158519/romney-obama-gallup-final-election-survey.aspx

Gallupp posted:

Current voting preferences mark a return to the status of the race from Oct. 1-7, when Obama and Romney were tied at 48% among likely voters. After that, Romney moved ahead in mid-October during the presidential debate period, holding a three- to five-point lead in Gallup Daily tracking shortly before superstorm Sandy devastated many areas on the East Coast Oct. 29-30. Romney's and Obama's current close positioning in the Nov. 1-4 poll was measured as the Northeast continued to recover from superstorm Sandy, and after Obama's highly visible visit to the region.

Between Oct. 22-28 and Nov. 1-4, voter support for Obama increased by six points in the East, to 58% from 52%, while it held largely steady in the three other regions. This provides further support for the possibility that Obama's support grew as a result of his response to the storm.

The 2012 election was on November 6 so without the hurricane, Obama would've probably lost or at best, squeaked out a tiny electoral victory.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 29, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gallup was pretty clear wrong, though.

Their final poll the week before the election had Romney winning and he got blown out.

Gallup was in agreement with other pollsters at the time that Romney was up by 3-5%, it was the hurricane specifically that turned it around for Obama because he made a super visible trip to the area and got praised by a Republican. That boosted Obama's approvals a few days before the election and without that, Romney probably wins.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I still can't believe after everything Trump did, it's the nerds at the National Archives that took him down (possibly). Impeached twice and tried to overthrow the government and shrugged it off; pisses off the federal librarians and gets investigated for espionage and raided by the FBI

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm happy people get student loan forgiveness, I just wish I qualified :( Feels dumb to complain about having student debt while being over the income cap but I had the Pell grant and this would have cut my debt load by 2/3. This poo poo should have just been universal, but no. Had to be means tested, of course. I didn't get any of the Covid stimulus payments either. I also happen to live in an extremely high cost of living area where basic six figures is equivalent to about $50,000 elsewhere and my rent is close to $3,000/month. Means testing is dumb, if they can forgive the debt for people making under $125k then they can forgive the debt for everyone. My partner has over $200k in debt thanks to grad school, and this forgiveness helps her gently caress-all. She's never going to pay that off, ever. She'll die with that student loan debt still hanging around her neck. The $10,000 forgiveness she's eligible for will be erased in a few months of interest accrual on her Federal loans.

Just loving cancel all of it you useless poo poo cretins

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Quorum posted:

This part at least shouldn't be an issue anymore under the new IBR plan, no?

I don't really know what the new IBR rules are, because we've both just accepted that our student loan debts will be forever-bills and a permanent living expense just like power and Internet bills are. We'll never pay them off, it's just a bill for being alive and believing our parents when they said to go to college or else we'd be flipping burgers forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for the info..just really feels like poo poo knowing you did everything "right" according to what we were told to do, and we specifically get hosed for doing it. We were told all our lives to go to school, get a degree, blah blah blah. We do that, we accrue all the student debt that comes with it, we ACHIEVE what they told us we should aspire to, and what do we get for it? Getting to see that it was worth gently caress all from top to bottom and that even if you do what is expected of you, you're still gonna get triple hosed in the process. I'm glad for everyone who gets a leg up from this, but goddamn it I feel like I deserve something for this poo poo. And if I'm lucky, I will pay this off by the time I'm 43. I left school in 2013 when I was 23. 20 years to pay off the cost of the success I was pushed incessantly into chasing. gently caress this poo poo