Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What good does freezing the gas tax do? It's coroorate greed, not regulation jacking uo the price, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rigel posted:

If for some reason I was under an ancient voodoo curse permanently trapping me within the state of Wyoming, then I probably would switch parties for that primary to vote for the anti-insurrectionist.

I think I'd rather vote for Richard Brubaker (Libertarian) in a general election than change parties for the primary just to vote for Liz Cheney.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't believe for a second that a candidate that actually poses a serious threat to the police, religious extremism, fascism, or capital will ever survive the primary. And if they somehow do, they're not going to live long enough to make it to the end of the general election.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know this take is controversial and worthy of scorn amd ridicule, but I would like it if my dumb square home state would sucked less too. I don't believe in this crap where only the right places get to have good things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's kinda sorta free to go to community college or university in Wyoming if you qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship, but I don't know all the mechanics to it because of course I graduated one year too early to get it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's too bad that calling out conservatives for their hypocrisy has never ever worked.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

One fewer ultra nationalist running around. Shame Hinckley wasn't as good a shot.

I thought the issue was that he didn't use a high enough caliber

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Willa Rogers posted:

It's pretty gross seeing prominent liberals like Katzenberg finance an anti-choice candidate like Liz Cheney:

The story goes on to name several other richie Dems who are financing her campaign, in spite of Cheney likely losing the primary next month (and in spite of her efforts to get Dems to vote for her in that primary).

Is liberals' hatred of all things Trump so great that they're willing to donate to an anti-choice, anti-climate Republican like Cheney? I guess the answer is an unequivocal "yes." :sigh:

I'll immediately get in the ear of anyone I know back home that entertains the idea of registering as a Republican to keep Liz Cheney in the general election or try to stop Foster Freis from getting the GOP nomination for Wyoming governor, but there's some really broke-brained people out there that think Liz Cheney is one of the good ones. It's unreal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hunter Biden sounds like a real piece of work. Holy fuckin poo poo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silly Burrito posted:

How in the HELL did we allow polio to come back?

Like the link above says, I thought we eradicated it back in 1979.

Anti-Western sentiment is what stopped the UN short of its goal of eradicating polio by 2000. The conspiracy theory is that the polio vaccine is given to Muslims to make them infertile.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, wasn't that around the time when that was literally happening?

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2013-01-27/ty-article/.premium/ethiopians-fooled-into-birth-control/0000017f-f512-d044-adff-f7fb92c30000

It's less of a conspiracy theory when that was the lived experiences of a group of people in the region.

It wouldn't surprise me. I only knew about the side of it with polio, but I would not out it past Israel to be sterilizing women at the same time they were getting vaccinated for polio.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll believe the bill has a chance of passing when it's signed by Biden.

Something is gonna give at the last minute.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
wait wait wait

So if your loan repayments are done through like Navient or Aidvantage, you're screwed?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No. If they are owned by the federal government and Navient or Sallie Mae service them, then you're good.

Also, the Politico piece doesn't clarify, but I assume if you have an old subsidized FFELP that is owned and serviced by a private lender, then you're good.

If you got your loan directly from a private lender with no DOE involvement, then you're screwed.

I went to cheap schools, so my saving grace is that everything I borrowed came from a federal source. I was just confused about the ownership of those loans for a minute.

My problem is that I was flailing in undergrad for eight years until I finished, so I have more debt than people who went to the schools I went to that finished in four or five years. Would be nice if they just axed everything instead of only a small amount. I'll take what I can get, but yeesh ten grand won't cover enough.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
People don't move to the two or three cities in this entire country that matter because of poo poo like walkability or public transit. It's because that's where the jobs are.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm confused how Trump even managed to get something like sensitive nuclear weapon information out of the White House and why it even on paper in the first place.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

haveblue posted:

He was the president. The president decides what's classified and what's not, sets security policy, and is at the top of the executive and military org charts. If you want the president to take national security more seriously, elect a better president

It's Trump, so anything is possible. I just would think that there'd be some kind of measure to make sure that crap stays in a secure location and is only available to the President in a secure manner.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do individuals actually come out ahead when they flip their house, or do they just have to convert their profit into buying a house that's just as expensive as their old one?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cimber posted:

Well, thats what you get for wanting to live in Pittsburgh. :D

Yeah, it's fuckin cheap. I can live alone for under a thousand dollars a month.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HD DAD posted:

Same for semi-rural Florida. My mortgage is less than my rent was in 2010. The downside is that I have to live in Florida.

I rent, but I'd be paying double this if I had tried to go back to Denver from Wyoming again.

Tibalt posted:

Pittsburgh is such an interesting case too, because the (relatively) abundant supply and low prices helped insulate the city from the worst of the 2008 market crisis and helped make it an attractive and affordable city to live. But that's rapidly changing, and it's making Pittsburgh a less attractive place at the same time. There's already a shortage of affordable housing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the market follows suit.

It's going to turn into another Denver where no one gave a fuckin poo poo until it was discovered how cheap it was and turned into nu-California. I just wanted to try going somewhere east and near a very large source of fresh water for....reasons, and an art instructor I had when I was looking into grad school before the pandemic told me to consider the Midwest or the Rust Belt to keep my living expenses low.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Quorum posted:

It's okay, you can tell us about your supervillainous plans to build the world's largest water-cooled supercomputer.

Unfortunately, that experience is pretty common in lower-cost midsize-to-large cities across the country right now. The housing crisis took longer to hit them harder, but it's very much here. Like so many other things, that trend was accelerated by COVID and the rise in remote employment, but the trend itself is far from new.

It was to get away from the megadroughts in the Rockies :ssh:

I've known about the insane jump in cost of living for a long time. I lived in Denver right out of high school for a year in 2005-2006 and remember looking at a studio on Cap Hill for $400 a month. I almost settled on a one-bedroom in Northglenn for around the same rate, but dropped out of the for-profit school I was going to and moved to Laramie to go to UW. When I went back to Denver to finish undergrad after dropping out of UW in 2013, it was rocketing to the moon.

My sister got priced out of Reno not long after I had to move back home to Wyoming in 2017 after my cheap place to live got sold (thank gently caress I had finished undergrad two months before) and she had to do the same in 2019. I remember her telling me to consider going there because it was cheaper than Denver, then also told me that a lot of people were moving there from California. All I said to her was, "Yeah, because you're next."

If I ever see a sudden glut of cars with Colorado license plates, it's time to fuckin run.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blind Rasputin posted:

Andrew Yang's Forward thing is the first time I've ever seen someone unironically identify as a Repandercrat.

That is a term apparently so obscure that Google only gives me two hits when I look it up, and they're both to two articles written for the same website. I also don't understand what it is supposed to mean :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I'm one of those knuckle dragging losers that spent eight years in undergrad and borrowed the entire time. I received Pell Grants in the autumn semester the year I turned twenty-four and got them until I graduated. So I should be getting $20k of dorgiveness, correct?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I forgot to ask if this will all go towards the principal of the loans first

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My total principal and interest is $96,000, so almost 21 percent of that total being cut off of it at once is a pretty fuckin big deal.

Thank gently caress I work in government too

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sorry if this is a "do your own homework" question, but does anyone have a link I can share about how student loan forgiveness isn't just an unjustified gimme to people who don't work?

I'm being completely off-color when I say this, but someone like that is only going to get that message through to them if it's delivered to their face by a steel pipe. And only maybe. These people are impossible to convince and it ain't worth arguing with them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So how royally pissed off is the debt forgiveness going to make people that paid their poo poo off before the pandemic? That's where the real outrage is going to come from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm fine with it :shrug:

Why would I be upset if people after me have it better, isn't that the point of making things better

I agree. I could have gotten in on the Hathaway Program in Wyoming if I had graduated in 2006 instead of 2005 and gotten cheap or free college. It doesn't affect me, but I'm still glad that program exists.

In a better world, there would be restitution for people that did pay their poo poo off, but that would also be a world where the entirety of student loan debt would be forgiven, the cost of education would be reformed, and so on. I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth right now.

I'm just worried that it's going to piss off enough people for whatever their reasons are that it might affect an election.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SourKraut posted:

From talking to some coworkers today, apparently very pissed.

My mom spares no opportunity to cut me down, so she texted me how taxes are going to go up now because of this and a bunch of other bullshit, and how this forgiveness is bullshit because she had to pay off her Parent Plus Loans and how I can't just sign a paper and not expect to pay on a house or a car.

I can't wait for this broad to die. Too bad she's going to live until she's a hundred. My whole fuckin' life it's been about how I don't know things cost money, I need a job with insurance, and so on.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SourKraut posted:

I shall be writing in the honorable Harry S. Crotum

I use Dickens Cider, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a good rundown of how all this infrastructure works and what issues it's facing? Besides the oooming strike, I've gotten an impression that all this logistics infrastructure is about to have all of its human capital retire at once with no one to replace any of it, and by the sound of it this all has to do with god awful pay.