Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BRJurgis posted:

Reporting in from the northeast: yesterday I was mulching outside a bank (which was closed as teenth was on sunday) and got to hear five or so people exclaim "what the gently caress" finding it closed, and then further "are you loving kidding me?!?!" upon learning about juneteenth. It was hard to keep my mouth shut, but I do have to have some sense while wearing company colors.

Also just walking about I heard random other work crews bitching or chortling about the "holiday - can you believe this bullshit!?"

I'm genuinely surprised at how awful people are and it's hard not to go full misanthrope in the face of poo poo like that.

I do think things like the holiday or forms of representation, while important to affected groups, aren't far from the entirely performative gesturing corporations and politicians will do. If people yesterday were complaining in that sense it would be so much more tolerable. No, though, just selfish ignorant reactionary outrage because they were mildly inconvienanced and didn't read or listen to news at all apparently. Step two is determining its because of the "other" (blacks? Democrats?!?) and then loudly bitching to signal/dog whistle so your pathetic rear end can feel both wronged and part of something.

This culture war insanity is part of the reason I can no longer see political solutions. I know things have been a lot worse in the past but drat it sure feels like we're backsliding.

It's the American way of life; sheer outrage at anything that causes you a minor inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Maybe I'm new to this, but how is this not victim-blaming?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

people exchanging sex for money/housing/other needs

Yes, this was a very ugly and common thing in the early days of the pandemic when those who didn't have jobs that allowed them to work from home were basically cut off financially:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/landlords-are-targeting-vulnerable-tenants-solicit-sex-exchange-rent-advocates-n1186416

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo. Not sure if this was posted before or not but....drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTNMTVsgAA

This one has been making the rounds on social media, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf1YxHpOvF4

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It was made in response to MAGA.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Oracle posted:

The not quite as gross one (aka not Greitens)

Having once lived in MO, I'm actually surprised by this. Even though Schmidt is a Ken Paxton wannabe, at least that accused rapist, kidnapper, domestic abuser, con artist, and overall human garbage Greitens isn't going anywhere other than back to his cesspool.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No Missouri is a deep deep red state now and fantasizing about a return to 90s swing state Missouri is roughly as likely as republicans fantasies that they have a pick-up opportunity in Washington this year.

Yeah, it had a reputation as a bellwether state, which it ceased to be in 2008 when they voted for McCain (that they didn't certify their election results for a while after Obama was declared the overall winner pending a recount in Missouri). Since then it's become red AF, or maybe it was that way since GWB.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

In non-student loan news, it seems that MTG was swatted at her home in Georgia:

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1562422730481598464

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/marjorie-taylor-greene-swatted

The suspect (according to some articles) was a "trans activist" and the investigation is ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

If you want an idea of how states with GOP controlled legislatures would look post-ISL, the closest right now would probably be Ohio.*

tldr: The unrepresentative, GOP-controlled state legislature, directed by the insane religious right groups writing their legislation, tell their own voters to gently caress off even when state Constitutional amendments to end the gerrymandering pass by ~70%, and then laugh in peoples faces about it.

It's paywalled so, here's the whole thing, but it's very pro-read, and people really should just take the time and read the whole thing.
https://twitter.com/danielrskinner/status/1562779197017190400

* (so probably slightly worse than this)

Chiming in anecdotally on this:

I grew up in Ohio and lived there until I was 24. It was a prosperous, optimistic place for a long time, especially during the Clinton years and you could see the growth everywhere. Some schools were underfunded because of FYGM homeowners who never wanted to vote for a levy, but you could still by and large get a good education, attend an extremely affordable public university (my undergrad education cost a whopping $4k), land a job in the field of your training, and enter Ye Olde Middle Classe with relative ease. The bigger cities (Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, etc.) had their share of problems, but still had good cultural amenities and a decent quality of life.

Now, I fear going home because it has become such a chud haven that it's basically the deep south (and I say this living in Texas). Even as a cis white male, I don't feel safe. It started with the Financial Crisis in 2008, which wiped out every vestige of prosperity and security and then only intensified in the Obama years when people wouldn't accept even the idea of Marriage Equality or the Affordable Care Act. Trump played into that rage and latent racism, and now the state will probably never go Democratic again. It's sad, because there were a lot of great things about Ohio at one point, but now it's one of the worst examples of social and political decay...

...next to Texas.