Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Every time they extended the student loan moratorium the harder they make it to justify turning them back on again. The fact that the material details of the economy, inflation, cost of goods, etc., are dramatically worse than they were at the start of 2020 doesn't make the case any easier too. What the gently caress are they even doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

MadJackal posted:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1540404247103037440?s=20&t=yXLVmHE_PFw1f_nwdf_Nkw

Relegating the majority of the US to Hong Kong-esque "special administrative regions" does not result in a stable society.

I think people are completely justified in being angry at the Biden admin being a Buchanan-level catastrophe. Everyone that helped put him in power and give him Congress understood at least a little bit that this was the last real chance to keep the country from completely imploding and they have totally squandered all of their critical time and resources.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

syntaxrigger posted:

I saw this in my feed. Would this be an actual helpful thing biden could do or is it just someone being pithy on twitter?

https://twitter.com/kurtbardella/status/1540376534065758212?s=21&t=EyX6OXD51-g62ipLEiWblA

bargaining stage of grief.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm tired of debating people who believe that the GOP won't institute a national ban if they win Congress and POTUS in 2024.

Even though Pence has said that was the goal. And to think the SCOTUS would block a national ban is just naive.

To believe that the GOP or SCOTUS will show restraint and leave it up to the states is nutty. Seethe NY Conceal Weapon decision as an example.

Personally I think the political reason to end the filibuster and start passing poo poo is to force Republicans to dare and take it away. Republicans aren't experiencing any consequences because there is no way for them to do so thanks to the deadlock and they always control the conditions of their wins and losses.

There is a ton of frustration about how the Senate disproportionately benefits Republicans, but not a lot of talk about getting their strategy of "doing very little beyond stonewalling Democrats" to bite them in the rear end. These people don't have to stay Republican voters but that seems to be a foregone conclusion by Democratic leadership and a strategy that requires a lot more work than they're willing to do.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Definitely a chill, stable guy that it was okay to allow control the nuclear arsenal.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Dietrich posted:

If there were any justice in this world his dad would go to the jail cell right next to him for the same amount of time.

"Extremely lovely and enabling parents" has been a clear common thread in several recent mass shootings and this probably needs to be better scrutinized IMO.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

*Four* sets marked top secret, holy gently caress.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

cr0y posted:

This is a huge loving deal isn't it?

From what it looks like to me if he's convicted for mishandling even one of these documents he'd spend the rest of his life in prison?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Yeah it's pretty clear all the flailing is propaganda damage control, not a real legal defense.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Andrew Yang isn't terribly difficult to understand IMO. He's no different from any other tech bro billionaire who has been insulated from criticism for a decade or more and is consequently high on his own supply. Zuckerberg's metaverse puppets and the Forward Party are an overlapping Venn diagram.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

If they can forgive 10k they can forgive all of it, and everyone's attention will turn to that fact forever onward.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new loan modification rules they announced today with the payment cap of 5% of discretionary income above ~$33k is automatically forgiven after 10 years if the loan is less than $12k.

The new loan type and capitalization rules are stealthily a much bigger change than the one-time forgiveness in the long run.

This will cut the average payment in half, guarantee a $0 monthly payment for individuals with incomes below $33k or families of 4 below $62,500 in household income, and make the average payment for a borrower making $50,000 per year ~$40 - $60.

This is the big relevant change your girlfriend: VVVVVVV

The loan balance is also forgiven after 20 years or 10 years if your balance gets below (or starts below) $12k.

https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/1562470265665495040

The thing that's unclear to me and what matters the most to me personally is if the change in discretionary income is *just* for the new IDR terms, or if this change applies to all loan types. I have a consolidated Direct Loan on PSLF which I had to take out to consolidate my undergraduate and graduate loans in order to qualify (and which we were all encouraged to do to get the temporary waiver this year). The change in monthly payment caps would be immensely helpful but if I'm carved out for arbitrary reasons I'm not super happy about getting thrown back to the wolves in January, same as it ever was.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

You can get all of those new changes (interest capitalization changes, IBR forgiveness, etc) on any loan type, but the 5% discretionary income cap is only if you have undergrad loans. Grad loans are capped at 10%, but grad loans do get the new discretionary income calculation where the exempt amount goes to 225% poverty level (from ~$13.5k to ~$33k).

PSLF and IBR/the new IDR are separate things and you can be on both PSFL and IBR at the same time.

The IBR/IDR determines your minthly payment.

The PSLF determines your forgiveness after 120 payments or 10 years at a qualifying job.

This is all I need and I'm happy to have if this is correct (that I'll also benefit from the new income calculation). I'm a teacher turbofucked by student loans and living in a red state that hates me, so I only make around 400% federal poverty guidelines. If my monthly IBR payment drops from $300 to $150 it would do a lot to make the last leg of PSLF manageable, since I also have a whole basket of private student loans to deal with.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Just to update you, it looks like the DOE released an updated press release with some more details:

The main thing that will impact you is this:

So, you still won't get the 5% cap, but you can get lower than 10% with the IDR payment plan, even if most of your loans are grad school loans.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...ition-repayment

https://www.studentloanplanner.com/joe-biden-student-loan-plan/

This is great to see! More than I expected even. I'm fine with staying the course on 10% but it's nice to see that will improve. The main thing that would help me is the change in how discretionary income is calculated so I guess I'll just need to wait in see if I need to switch to a new IDR plan or if they'll just automatically apply the new terms. Wouldn't want to jeopardize the 8 years on PSLF I've already accrued.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Trump has loser stink now and if there's one thing you can guarantee about Americans is that we hate losers. All of the voter fraud wailing and whining is a result of a deep, deep fear of accidentally backing a loser and they would rather believe reality is wrong than admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

White house twitter with a thread of receipts on PPP loan forgiveness amounts received by people now complaining about loan forgiveness.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916200866267138
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916212841103360

It's kinda nice to see this kind of messaging

This owns, light them the gently caress up