Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sorry to necro this thread a bit, but I was 'on vacation' when this came up and I wanted to talk about something;

Mescal posted:

Mauled 42 of the boys. 42. That's the bit that cracks me up.

AHH F/UGH posted:

wow it's almost like it's a bunch of made up cobbled together bullshit, nutty

Possibly, but, as is often the case, goons are pretty quick on the trigger and real happy to dismiss the Torah/Bible as hoohah nonsense, and that's cool.
I'm gonna preface what I'm about to explain with the normal "I'm NOT religious, and I'm not really defending religious texts, I don't actually believe in spirituality on any supernatural level" as my standard disclaimer. Only that before you go "LMAO THIS IS SO DUMB", sometimes there's more to it.

Ok. So.

There's 42 bears.
Why are there 42 bears?

Anytime you come across what seems to be a weird rear end number (or a particularly large one) that seems out of place when scanning over the bible, or see something like this story quoted, keep in mind that in Hebrew, often times numbers meant something. Numerology in an actual, true sense of the word. Not a 'hoohah mystic' sense (though, sometimes ok that too). But sometimes it actually MEANT something, or was a reference to something else. Sometimes when you read 'An army killed 88,004 soldiers' it just means "They killed a poo poo load of dudes guys. Like more than we could count lol." BUT, in THIS case, let's look at our 42 here.

In Hebrew, 42 looks like this: מב. That is 'Mem Bet'.
In the book of Numbers (the book that talks about Moses leading the Israelites out of exile), Mem Bet can be used in Hebrew to also to express "They journeyed from" one place to another, it's the same meaning. 'Coincidentally' during the 40 years in exile that the Israelites wandered, they camped 42 times...
Also coincidentally, one of the 'secret' and unutterable names of God is, of course, 42 letters long (according to Kabbalists). The idea is that the name is 'hidden' in the beginning of the Torah and starts at one letter and continues on for the following 42. It 'travels' from that letter onward. Look don't ask me that's just what I found out by reading poo poo, ok?

So, to sum it up;

Moses traveled across the wilderness. How many times did he camp? 42.
Elisha traveled to Bethel. How many kids did the bears kill? 42.
God's name starts at one letter and travels to the end of the letters in it. How many letters? 42.

Now, is all of this horseshit? Yeah. I mean, it doesn't change anything. But what it does indicate is that there's a meaning written into this story that we don't get. There's an inside joke, or a reference being made that's way over our heads that the people the story was originally told for would totally have gotten.
At the time this was told, if you heard "Hey man those bears got 42 of those bastards" You would have said "Aww yeah, I gotcha. That means God got 'em" OR something similar, it would have been apparent to them at the time. It wasn't just a random thing plucked from the air.

There was a reason poo poo like this was kept and written down, in other words. And so it might seem like laughable nonsense to us TODAY, to just say "haha stupid story about some fuckin' bears" can make you seem silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That part in the bible where they chopped up a hooker and mailed her body to every tribe.

Which part was that