Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

:siren:By the nature of these kinds of games, talking about them at length will result in numerous major spoilers. While the first page will have all spoilers marked in case of accidental clicks, all other pages may have unmarked spoilers. Read at your own caution :siren:

The Quarry is Supermassive Games' new entry into the genre that they have raised from the dead, not-quite FMV choose your own adventure stories. Breaking with their Halloween tradition, it was released in June, alongside their Dark Anthologies series.

The gameplay is the same as the rest, and you know about the plot, because you already played it before reading this thread, right?

Discuss this latest creature feature in the thread below. Did it hold up to Until Dawn? Is it better? What was with that guy? Are they going to kiss or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My points as someone who plays these games religiously

I liked the first couple, Max and Laura, and their struggles because they seemed to be the only ones who were taking things seriously. Everyone quipping their way through the murders really threw me off. Dylan was the one exception, since he gave off the air of doing it out of tension instead of being miscast in a rom com.

The transformation sequences for the monsters were dope.

The hunter family was imo sympathetic, yeah they were harboring werewolves but they did so in order to try and break a curse that was accidentally put on their family, and they did try to help the counselors.

Half these face models don't even emote.

Im not sure if Emma and Jacob's relationship was designed to make me want them to die but it worked.

The shotgun QTEs were all kind of terrible and the distance of the shot didn't seem to change anything. I completely hosed my ending by not shooting Chris because I thought he was Laura, since the manacles he was wearing were not apparent on his model at that time, and then when I shot at Caleb at the end it just didn't register the hit at all.

Overall it was kind of a self-plagarism of Until Dawn with less intrigue. They made it seem like werewolfing was supposed to be this big reveal but as soon as you saw Bobby get bit and then blow off his finger you knew the game. Kind of a letdown, but made up for in a lot of the monster design, and the fact that the tarot system was supposed to be unreliable is a good note.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The game sort of suffers from having to write around characters possibly being dead, and I think it could have been handled better. Emma and Jacob spend most of their time wandering around alone and don't do anything useful aside from Emma providing silver bullets at the end of the game. I think it would have worked better if they were teamed up with each other and had their own little mini arc. Abigail just randomly gets left alone in a storm cellar instead of going off with Dylan and Kaitlyn, when there is no reason for her not to go off with them. (going to the scrapyard is also pointless because they don't even bother grabbing the part they needed to replace)

The relationships are also kind of pointless None of them ever end up going anywhere. Ryan has far more chemistry with Laura than the two people he can actually be romantically interested in

The ending is also kind of lame. The ending should have had the actual characters instead of having two podcast people discuss the events of the game. There wasn't any real wrap-up at all

I did like it more than Man of Medan/Little Hope, but its a bit lacking when compared to Until Dawn. (Haven't gotten around to playing House of Ash yet).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I was honestly shooting for a Dylan/Ryan romance for half the game until I went "yknow, Ryan kind of has the personality of an angsty plank of wood. Dylan can do better".

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I would like to take the scene selector from Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong and drop it into this, because if it wasn't for all the slow walking sequences and unskippable dialogue, I would enjoy the chance to go back through the game messing with choices.

I wrote the IGN review for this, and spent the better part of a week in their guides department's Discord kicking around choices and outcomes with the team. There's a lot more flexibility than you might think, but it's such a pain in the rear end to go try new things when so many of the most significant choices are backloaded into Chapters 7 and onward.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I finished the game on xbox yesterday. I gotta say it was quite a lot of fun but I'm not sure it justifies the €75 I had to pay for it. It did seem to have quite a lot of technical issues with texture popin and weird facial animations.

Ryan and Kaitlyn were exceptionally annoying. Kaitlyn got pretty decent halfway in I suppose.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kaitlyn's role in the group was a little confusing. She seemed to be as new as anyone else to the camp, but she was the designated shotgun holder for a lot of the game. even at the start they deferred to her in all regards to guns, which made me think that she got hired on as the range master for the camp. but she was actually doing the first aid station, so it was a bit weird.

I did like how the guys wanted to gently caress around with the shotgun at the start and her response was "how about you shut the gently caress up". responsible.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I'm a total sucker for these games. I had a pretty fun time my first playthrough, my second playthrough much less so (though I was trying to save everyone, which involved making a lot of the same decisions as my first playthrough, so I'll try not to hold it against the game too much). In a month or two I'll play it again just to make all of the terrible decisions, but I don't really feel the need to play it again after that. Compared to Until Dawn which I play annually and House of Ashes which I've replayed a stupid amount of times it feels like bit of a step down.

I found all the characters either likable, interesting, or I had a fun time hating them. The only one who I thought was boring was Nick. Dylan was by far my favorite.

The don't breathe sections were way too easy. Just hold x until the red goes away.

I liked the dialogue more this time around, especially in the beginning. It was funnier and sometimes it even felt realistic, and it gave me a pretty good sense of who the characters were. I really wanted most of the yucks to stop once Nick got injured though. Do we really need a 5 minute joke about what you're going to tell emergency services when your friend is bleeding out?

Seconding that the werewolf transformations kicked rear end.

I missed the relationship and traits system. The dialogue options feel like they don't mean anything. You spend half the game building and investing in the relationships between characters and it doesn't lead to much. A big step down from House of Ashes in particular. It's kind of superfluous in Until Dawn but it at least lets you see how you're playing each character.

The lack of an ending was bad. At least do something like the police interviews in Until Dawn. The podcast was obnoxious.

Overall, I think I'd put this above Man of Medan but below Until Dawn and House of Ashes.

Here's the results of my first playthrough:

Abigail and Emma survived just hanging out in the camera room. I missed the silver bullets in the cellar because where they were looked too important and I was afraid of progressing the scene by accident.

Nick RIP he never scored. I didn't stop Laura from shooting him, I was pretty okay with killing werewolves at that point.

Chris got killed by Ryan, see above.

Jacob lived wandering in the woods like a cryptid himbo.

Dylan and Kaitlyn got killed by Caleb in the kitchen, heartbreaking. I picked Run instead of Freezer because of Jacob foreshadowing earlier, I thought they would get stuck and die in there.

Laura, Ryan and Travis lol dead because I was a dummy who didn't shoot Sylas. The situation just didn't feel right.

Max died swimming to shore, I thought it was a 'leave to progress the plot or stay and explore more' situation.

The hunters lived except for the mom. I was pretty startled when that happened lol.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kaitlyn's role in the group was a little confusing. She seemed to be as new as anyone else to the camp, but she was the designated shotgun holder for a lot of the game. even at the start they deferred to her in all regards to guns, which made me think that she got hired on as the range master for the camp. but she was actually doing the first aid station, so it was a bit weird.

If you check the scoreboard by the pool house in Chapter 1/5, you see that Kaitlyn spent her summer utterly dominating the camp's shooting competition.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I did like how the guys wanted to gently caress around with the shotgun at the start and her response was "how about you shut the gently caress up". responsible.

Now, I wonder if Kaitlyn originally was going to be the only potential love interest for Ryan, and when they made Dylan a possibility, they cut a significant amount of her content. There are barely any playable sections with her, and she spends very little time with Ryan. She's important to the plot multiple times, but we barely get to learn anything about her character except that she is good with guns and cars. It'd also explain why all the romance subplots are so half-assed and go nowhere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Now, I wonder if Kaitlyn originally was going to be the only potential love interest for Ryan, and when they made Dylan a possibility, they cut a significant amount of her content. There are barely any playable sections with her, and she spends very little time with Ryan. She's important to the plot multiple times, but we barely get to learn anything about her character except that she is good with guns and cars. It'd also explain why all the romance subplots are so half-assed and go nowhere.

Possible, but at the same time they would have had to cut really deep because Ryan and Kaitlyn had almost no interaction outside some ensemble areas.

Splitting up the screen time was kind of a trick because you had Ryan, who has an established relationship with Chris H and therefore was destined to have to fight him, and then the Jacob/Emma relationship that drove the whole reason they were stuck at camp. Even Dylan has the ability to do raido stuff and advances the plot that way. But with Nick, Abigail, and Kaitlyn they were more bystanders in the large plot beats and therefore had a hard time fitting in with their characterization other than high level tones. I mean the best we get out of Kaitlyn is her ribbing Jacob at the start then later doing the shooting range tutorial, after that she generally stays in the non-active group while others go off and do woods stuff.

Thats kind of the problem with having a character be "the one with the gun" because they end up being pushed off to the side becuase they're too dangerous to other people in the story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd be interested in knowing what the shooting schedule was like for The Quarry.

Brenda Song had a kid in April 2021, so if they were filming before that point, they might've had to shoot around her pregnancy.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

FlavoFibe posted:

Here's the results of my first playthrough:

Max died swimming to shore, I thought it was a 'leave to progress the plot or stay and explore more' situation.

The hunters lived except for the mom. I was pretty startled when that happened lol.

There's a part where Emma is filming herself alone heading to the lighthouse, she hears scary rumbling above her and fully telegraphs that if she opens the door to the attic she'll die a horrible death and I thought it was so funny that they gave me such a dumb option for her to choose that I had to do it. Yep, wolf Max kills her then. The odd thing is that Max finds her at the end and she looks fully uninjured. I thought possibly she had turned and then returned to human but nope, dead. I'm not sure if this happens whether Emma survives or not but with her dead Max awakes mostly naked and finds her crop top and wears it at the end which was kinda funny.

Late late game spoilers Lin Shaye and Lance Henriksen were in my playthrough incredibly briefly. Now I'm curious to know how long the mom sticks around if you don't blow her head off then. Probably not long because one of the tarot cards showed her getting mauled by a wolf

Kaitlyn and Dylan tangled with a wolf in the junkyard but I'm not really sure who that was. Caleb I guess?

My survivors, full spoilers: In Until Dawn I had most of the cast near the end but then it went south fast and a bunch of people I expected to make it all ate it in the last few chapters. In this, I was kinda surprised that Nick was the only person in my playthrough who died unintentionally. I let Emma open the door because I wanted to see if it was instant death or if I'd get a chance to avoid it but the moment with Nick seemed like I had no option but to blast him.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The ending I got was very anticlimactic. Not terrible just pretty underwhelming.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Jolo posted:

There's a part where Emma is filming herself alone heading to the lighthouse, she hears scary rumbling above her and fully telegraphs that if she opens the door to the attic she'll die a horrible death and I thought it was so funny that they gave me such a dumb option for her to choose that I had to do it. Yep, wolf Max kills her then.

So if you open that trap door without checking the bag she dies instantly? lmao that's actually great, especially for those who played Until Dawn.

Jolo posted:

I'm not sure if this happens whether Emma survives or not but with her dead Max awakes mostly naked and finds her crop top and wears it at the end which was kinda funny.

That definitely happens regardless, crop top Max was great. You can find and wear Laura's hat also but it somehow disappears if you swim to shore like I did.

Jolo posted:

My survivors, full spoilers: In Until Dawn I had most of the cast near the end but then it went south fast and a bunch of people I expected to make it all ate it in the last few chapters. In this, I was kinda surprised that Nick was the only person in my playthrough who died unintentionally. I let Emma open the door because I wanted to see if it was instant death or if I'd get a chance to avoid it but the moment with Nick seemed like I had no option but to blast him.

I was one of the poor suckers who didn't understand that running to the switch as Sam would blow everyone up. Kind of similar to my Quarry playthrough though, it all went to hell in the last chapter despite not missing a sing QTE.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

FlavoFibe posted:

So if you open that trap door without checking the bag she dies instantly? lmao that's actually great, especially for those who played Until Dawn.

That definitely happens regardless, crop top Max was great. You can find and wear Laura's hat also but it somehow disappears if you swim to shore like I did.

I was one of the poor suckers who didn't understand that running to the switch as Sam would blow everyone up. Kind of similar to my Quarry playthrough though, it all went to hell in the last chapter despite not missing a sing QTE.

Yep instantly. Haha. The setup was too funny for me to resist.

I was also surprised at how few jump scares there were in this game. The only one I remember was optional, Laura using a computer at the jail. Man of Medan was LOADED with jump scares to the point I decided not to replay it way before the game ended.

The Movie Mode in here is pretty interesting. You can set how you want characters to react in situations or have them be fully unpredictable.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Jolo posted:

Yep instantly. Haha. The setup was too funny for me to resist.

I was also surprised at how few jump scares there were in this game. The only one I remember was optional, Laura using a computer at the jail. Man of Medan was LOADED with jump scares to the point I decided not to replay it way before the game ended.

The Movie Mode in here is pretty interesting. You can set how you want characters to react in situations or have them be fully unpredictable.

Until Dawn had a ton of jumpscares as well, but those made it feel more like a cheesy movie so I didn't mind it as much. Little Hope had the same one over and over and over and House of Ashes has...I want to say 5 or 6? I like jumpscares as long as they're good and used well.

Movie mode sounds interesting, I didn't realize you could pick or randomize traits.

Question for everyone: I've seen people complain about certain characters having plot armor in these games, has anyone had a problem with it? I honestly don't care. I feel like with games like this you need some characters to make it close to the end to get a semblance of a plot even if you screw up real bad. If they do manage to change that as they make more games that's okay too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I do wish you could fast forward or something in the movie mode.

I didn't think much about it much while playing but it's hilarious to me that the camp is scheduled from the day after a full moon until the day before the next full moon! Leave yourself a buffer Mr Hackett!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jolo posted:

I do wish you could fast forward or something in the movie mode.

I didn't think much about it much while playing but it's hilarious to me that the camp is scheduled from the day after a full moon until the day before the next full moon! Leave yourself a buffer Mr Hackett!!

Hey the camp is already a dire financial situation, I'm surprised they didn't have all the campers staying til 5 mins before sundown the day of.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My vague impression gleaned solely from watching a couple of playthroughs of this is that the writing and direction both seem noticeably clunkier than they were in Until Dawn. In UD, things were usually fairly coherent, dialogue was sharp and efficient, you just generally had a pretty clear idea of what any given scene was "about," and everything was compelling cinematic.

The Quarry seems to be...less that. Conversations are overlong and meandering, you could play through most of the game and still not have a good grasp on anyone's thought processes, and scenes just kinda start and end awkwardly without any particular focus. The production just overall feels less polished, more amateurish.

Am I just completely off my rocker here or is there anything of a consensus on this?

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

BrianWilly posted:

My vague impression gleaned solely from watching a couple of playthroughs of this is that the writing and direction both seem noticeably clunkier than they were in Until Dawn. In UD, things were usually fairly coherent, dialogue was sharp and efficient, you just generally had a pretty clear idea of what any given scene was "about," and everything was compelling cinematic.

The Quarry seems to be...less that. Conversations are overlong and meandering, you could play through most of the game and still not have a good grasp on anyone's thought processes, and scenes just kinda start and end awkwardly without any particular focus. The production just overall feels less polished, more amateurish.

Am I just completely off my rocker here or is there anything of a consensus on this?

I agree with this, even though I said I liked the conversational dialogue in the beginning of the game. It seems odd because I'm pretty sure both games had the same director? There were a lot of weird inconsistencies too.

For example, in my playthrough Dylan gave his gun to Kaitlyn, but the next scene Dylan still has it and gives his gun to Ryan as if Dylan made Ryan give his gun to Kaitlyn instead. Actually the whole thing confused me at first since I'm pretty sure Kaitlyn was the last one with the gun anyway. Also for me Abi got bit around the same time as Nick but it never came up again, no one even mentioned that she was injured.

Yeah there's a general clunky weirdness with everything. The DPA games feel very stitched together sometimes but The Quarry is a different kind of strange.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FlavoFibe posted:

For example, in my playthrough Dylan gave his gun to Kaitlyn, but the next scene Dylan still has it and gives his gun to Ryan as if Dylan made Ryan give his gun to Kaitlyn instead. Actually the whole thing confused me at first since I'm pretty sure Kaitlyn was the last one with the gun anyway. Also for me Abi got bit around the same time as Nick but it never came up again, no one even mentioned that she was injured.

I noticed that too, and I think it might have been cut content. They decide to give up the gun and then they just kind of appear outside with one gun missing, without having a conversation with Kait. It might have been more cut Ryan/Kaitlyn scenes specifically.

It was particularly jarring because if I remember correctly Dylan was already *missing a hand* by the time that scene happened so it's a bit absurd for him to initially keep the gun. Like this twink is going to Ash Williams a werewolf.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 23, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Speaking of guns, there are also a bunch of weird moments where mofos will just walk right up to you and casually wrest away the gun you're pointing right at them. And you kinda just...bemusedly let it happen! I dunno, the action in this game is...strange.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking of guns, there are also a bunch of weird moments where mofos will just walk right up to you and casually wrest away the gun you're pointing right at them. And you kinda just...bemusedly let it happen! I dunno, the action in this game is...strange.

Eh, I think that's not too far beyond the pale. It's not like these teenagers are going to be overly excited to just ice a human being, even if they are being threatening. People using a gun to try and threaten someone and then just having it taken off of them happens all the time IRL. It was pretty funny to see Bobby do it, he just grabbed it like he was trying to get a particularly aggressive bug off her sleeve.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

FlavoFibe posted:

Yeah there's a general clunky weirdness with everything. The DPA games feel very stitched together sometimes but The Quarry is a different kind of strange.

I think between some of the issues re: characters and how abrupt the ending is, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to cut a lot of content to get the game out the door this summer. I was kind of hoping for more of an epilogue to this game (I think the only one of these games where I liked the epilogue was House of Ashes) but overall I think I liked the experience more than Until Dawn/Man of Medan/Little Hope. Just barely more than Until Dawn, I'd say.

My wife and I played this game via couch co-op, where she was playing as Laura, Max, Kaitlyn, Dylan, and Nick while I was playing as Abigail, Jacob, Emma, and Ryan. w.r.t gameplay time it was funny because I think I took most of the first half of the game while she got to do pretty much all the Finales. if it wasn't for Ryan I don't think I would have had any gameplay time in the back half of the game. We managed to make it through with Killing nearly every Hackett but Travis, and keeping all the camp counselors alive at the end of the game.

I do love the lesson in gun safety where If you're playing as Ryan you absolutely can shoot Jacob when he's approaching you from the bushes. We went back to that chapter to see what would happen and lol he just fuckin' dies in the bushes and nobody gives a poo poo.

Another complaint that I have would be that the QTEs/events seemed a little bit too easy to perform. I love that the game accounts for accessibility options, but it would be nice if there was like a challenge mode or something you could do to make the QTEs a little more difficult. As soon as I got comfortable with the timing it didn't really feel like there was any tension in those scenes.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

It was particularly jarring because if I remember correctly Dylan was already *missing a hand* by the time that scene happened so it's a bit absurd for him to initially keep the gun. Like this twink is going to Ash Williams a werewolf.

The gun conversation is definitely before, it's when they decide to go to the radio cabin. After the phone lines get cut.

Actually, thinking about it, does the radio escapade go anywhere? Until Dawn, Man of Medan and House of Ashes all had radios that actually did something if you got a message out so was this trying to play around with expectations or something?

Arrrthritis posted:

Another complaint that I have would be that the QTEs/events seemed a little bit too easy to perform. I love that the game accounts for accessibility options, but it would be nice if there was like a challenge mode or something you could do to make the QTEs a little more difficult. As soon as I got comfortable with the timing it didn't really feel like there was any tension in those scenes.

Same, once I figure out that it was the stick and not the circle button I didn't miss a single qte. I guess I should've put them on a harder difficulty but I assumed they would get more difficult as the stakes ramped up but the timing stayed the same the whole time.

Unrelated, why isn't there a marshmallow roasting qte in this game? Choose your preferred doneness and get the qtes to get it juuuust right. Would've been a good way to practice them early game.

FlavoFibe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2022

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This game definitely rushed and it shows. That being said there were a few bright spots like the curator. I think was the dark games the dude gave you poo poo if people died. Here however? they are like oh good another vermin dead. They were p upset if you cant find the tarrot cards. I did the find the “twist” cool that oh its the old lady who wants to protect her son and she gets sooo pissed off at you for killing them. I dunno if it was the voice directing but man Ryan was sooo flat. Like everyone else said there was just no chemistry with Dylan at all. I feel the romance was put there just cuz boy does it go nowhere with any of these characters. Also yeah no qualms about Emma dying. worst character in the game. Just everything about her i hated, shallow as poo poo hatesink character. Its so weird how Kat never calls Jacob out for sabotaging the van. Like i know horror movies something dumb has to happen but that took me out a little. Oh hey i wanna break down this van how do i do it. Oh whoops golly gee guess it did and nobody suspects me for intentionally doing it especially my close friend. Guess at least if you get far enough in a heated argument with emma he spills the beans he did it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FlavoFibe posted:

The gun conversation is definitely before, it's when they decide to go to the radio cabin. After the phone lines get cut.

Actually, thinking about it, does the radio escapade go anywhere? Until Dawn, Man of Medan and House of Ashes all had radios that actually did something if you got a message out so was this trying to play around with expectations or something?

As far as I know it mostly just sets up an option later in the game where you're in the scrap yard and can scare off the werewolf by setting off the horn, since the radio feedback established their sensitivity to noise. Of course close range gunshots are too quiet to scare them off, I guess.

As for the radio message itself I guess some cops show up offscreen at the end but who can blame anyone for not coming in guns blazing with that thoroughly lovely distress call Dylan made.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It is actually comical how badly Laura fucks everything up constantly. She is so loving reckless blasting away at random werewolves, just deciding Mr. H HAS to die (instead of just killing Sylas and transitively curing everyone?) running off guns blazing and loving up the hunter's containment thing they've got going, getting bitten and being so blaze about it, leaving Max on the island and just hoping no one dies, the list goes on and on. The cop is really the only one equally as insanely stupid (Why act like such a weird serial killer? Why not just detain the two kids overnight as you're the only cop in this small lovely town for "reckless driving" or whatever?) It's a shame you can't just blast Laura right off the bat since she seems to be the one who really caused this whole mess.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It is actually comical how badly Laura fucks everything up constantly. She is so loving reckless blasting away at random werewolves, just deciding Mr. H HAS to die (instead of just killing Sylas and transitively curing everyone?) running off guns blazing and loving up the hunter's containment thing they've got going, getting bitten and being so blaze about it, leaving Max on the island and just hoping no one dies, the list goes on and on. The cop is really the only one equally as insanely stupid (Why act like such a weird serial killer? Why not just detain the two kids overnight as you're the only cop in this small lovely town for "reckless driving" or whatever?) It's a shame you can't just blast Laura right off the bat since she seems to be the one who really caused this whole mess.

Laura is working with incomplete information, and also doesn't trust Travis (for good reason). As far as she knows there are only three werewolves (Chris Hackett, Silas, and Max). She leaves Max on the island because she doesn't really have a good way to restrain a werewolf.

Travis is keeping Laura and Max locked up because he can't risk them reporting the situation to the authorities, and making his family lose their chance to kill Silas. Although, he could've avoided the entire situation if he called out Laura's lie when she said that they had permission to arrive early. He had no reason to hide he was Chris's brother and could have flat out told them they definitely wouldn't be allowed to stay at the quarry.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Laura is working with incomplete information, and also doesn't trust Travis (for good reason). As far as she knows there are only three werewolves (Chris Hackett, Silas, and Max). She leaves Max on the island because she doesn't really have a good way to restrain a werewolf.

Travis is keeping Laura and Max locked up because he can't risk them reporting the situation to the authorities, and making his family lose their chance to kill Silas. Although, he could've avoided the entire situation if he called out Laura's lie when she said that they had permission to arrive early. He had no reason to hide he was Chris's brother and could have flat out told them they definitely wouldn't be allowed to stay at the quarry.

Does Laura even know about Silas at the point of Chris' death? As far as she knows he is the last link in the chain, and with good reason. There are some lore items in the police station I missed though.

She also only ever killed in self defense in my playthrough, with the exception of wanting to kill Chris. It's not her fault that the hunter family made her a target for shooting a werewolf that was trying to tear her apart.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

She should've left some sort of warning or something near the trapdoor, the thing is a total death trap. I get that she assumed that no one was going to be there, but that's kind of a big assumption that no one cleans up after camp or no Hackett kids will still be on the property.

I do agree that Travis being really cagey kind of set her on the bad path (again why not just arrest them for one night?) But she still once finding she was off the rails doesn't heed anything your characters you control say and is full gung ho to shoot up Chris. I guess maybe at that point its the curse in the driver's seat?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does Laura even know about Silas at the point of Chris' death? As far as she knows he is the last link in the chain, and with good reason. There are some lore items in the police station I missed though.

Laura has no idea about Silas, or even Caleb, until and unless Travis tells her in Chapter 9. Travis has given her just enough information to get her into trouble, and did not voluntarily disclose that Chris was the one who bit Max.

His game plan was apparently to slowly recruit Laura in lieu of simply shooting her and Max, but he's visibly near the end of his rope with the whole thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Laura has no idea about Silas, or even Caleb, until and unless Travis tells her in Chapter 9. Travis has given her just enough information to get her into trouble, and did not voluntarily disclose that Chris was the one who bit Max.

His game plan was apparently to slowly recruit Laura in lieu of simply shooting her and Max, but he's visibly near the end of his rope with the whole thing.

She doesn't know the identity of the werewolf, but she is aware that there is another one out there somewhere (although not necessarily at the quarry).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

On the one hand, The Quarry has a distinctly more coherent and straightforward story than Until Dawn. It isn't stuck with the weird maybe/maybe not dance where the Wendigo are real, then they aren't, then they really are; it sets out to do one thing, with one twist, and does it reasonably well.

On the other, The Quarry has a real problem with its script, and it comes down to an issue of detachment/dissociation. As Gita Jackson puts it in this piece, we've hit a particular era in a lot of Western genre filmmaking where all the characters are reflexively, uselessly self-aware, and The Quarry has a big dose of that. I got a scene in my first run where two characters took time out during Chapter 9 to discuss the Ryan/Kaitlyn/Dylan love triangle despite them both being in mortal danger at the time and covered in someone else's blood.

Some of it also comes down to The Quarry generally being easier than Until Dawn, with fewer mechanical requirements and more obvious choices. There aren't any disposable characters in Quarry that are there to die early on a blind run to raise the stakes; there are certainly characters that are easy to kill, but most of their death flags can be seen from a mile away, and roughly half the cast can't be killed at all until Chapter 8 through 10. It's not hard, even on a blind run, where your current characters certainly feel like they're in trouble, but not like they're in mortal danger, and the dialogue reflects that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The biggest moment of a character not acting the way I would expect them to is when [end of game] Travis just shrugs off Laura killing his mom and brother in like a 5 minute span.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
So I've replayed this recently and while I'm not taking back my original criticisms, it's definitely grown on me a little since I first played it. The characters quipping is less annoying when you know they're not in immediate danger, and there are times when it feels pretty close to a straight up horror comedy.

Chapter 7 is such a slog on replay though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It was discounted last week so finally picked this up and had a run through over the weekend. I agree with most of the criticisms here, I still think Until Dawn is Supermassive’s best go with these things, with a much better cast and script. Still, I did enjoy this for the most part, and was pleasantly surprised at how tragic it all was.

The Hacketts all were good folk trying to deal with a terrible situation as best - and quietly - as they could, and I felt awful that by the end of the game, I’d gotten all but Travis killed. Even the cause of the fire turns out to be a dumb and misguided but genuinely honest attempt by a couple of kids to free Silas from a life caged in freak show.

As for the deaths…

Abi - this infuriated me as it came out of nowhere and I kinda liked Abi. WolfEm chases her into the storm cellar and eats her while playing as Kaitlyn. I never even saw Em get bitten, I QTE’d the gently caress away from Max without missing a beat. Bah.

Dylan - again, Kaitlyn = death. I shot Caleb but it did nothing, she ran and he used Dylan as a chew toy. No great loss, I couldn’t stand him anyway.

Nick - so he’s the one in the cage in the Hackett house? Yeah, I just let Laura blast the gently caress out of him. Whoops.

Ma Hackett - Laura shot her face off. I regret this but I assume if I hadn’t, she would have killed her over the grand-daughter killing.

Pa Hackett - WolfChris hosed him up.

Bobby Hackett (that was IT’S A SAILBOAT Guy?) - ditto.

Chris Hackett, his kids, Silas - I assume these are all unavoidable, or at least without killing someone else in the process? Caleb was locked in the freezer and froze after the curse ended, that sucked.

Left Max on the island, Laura & Ryan (seriously, they had way better chemistry than their intended/possible partners) and Travis killed Silas, Emma are Abi then had a completely normal, chill chat with loving Jacob about their relationship while covered in blood, wtf. Kaitlyn trapped Caleb in the freezer and made out like a bandit.

I guess I’m mostly mad about that last Emma and Jacob scene, and the general abruptness of the ending in general. The pacing and tone overall just didn’t hit the heights of Until Dawn for me. But eh, I still had a good time.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

A friend and I played this couch coop and had a great time alternately belittling the game and being traumatized losing our chosen idiot children. Does Until Dawn have the same, "pick your idiots and play as them" couch coop mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I honestly put Quarry over Until Dawn because I hated everybody in Until Dawn except for maybe Hayden Panettiere's character. It was really following the trend of unlikable horror characters of the time. In the Quarry I liked most everybody, even some folks I was kind of surprised at myself for doing so, like Emma.

As for my ending I got the Final Girl achievement so IYKYK.

Agreed about the abruptness of the ending. Covering it in podcast form feels like an unfortunate cost-cutting measure. And even if I think Kaitlyn does make a good Final Girl at the same time I don't think we hang around her enough and get to know her to feel it's earned.