Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Pirate Radar posted:

What decides who goes first when councilors from different factions both attempt tasks on the same target? Getting tired of being beaten to purge points and wasting turns.

with the same mission, whoever has the highest odds goes first

the only mission where I hate this is Public Campaign, since you'll have some great shots with optimized councilors but everyone else with poo poo odds gets to ruin your work later in the turn order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Complications posted:

The moment you put habs in Jupiter you're effectively at war because the aliens will not stop until those habs are destroyed and presumably you intend to defend those habs. This can useful in early rushes because the aliens will penny packet ships into Jupiter for destruction in detail instead of building them up into fleets and building more and more habs into the asteroid belt. Blowing up assault carriers generates a lot of hate, so be ready to rebuild a lot if you're not ready for war. Control of Earth orbit is not a requirement, but if you can't sweep the aliens out of someplace as friendly as Earth orbit then you're probably not ready for prolonged combat.

I guess I could let the next one land instead of splashing it, I have China this time so that issue is prevented. I can fight them in orbit with Viper missile spam if they want, but if I try to pick a fight with the surveillance missions they can just evade me and I've burned months worth of fuel income.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I guess I could let the next one land instead of splashing it, I have China this time so that issue is prevented. I can fight them in orbit with Viper missile spam if they want, but if I try to pick a fight with the surveillance missions they can just evade me and I've burned months worth of fuel income.

Given that you're going for minimizing hate if you can't mob the Assault Carrier and geek the armies as they debark, I recommend killing the alien armies and then letting another faction handle destroying the Alien Administration. The AA's military score is composed of the nations it makes up, and not the alien army technology level. AFAIK you'll get some hate from killing the armies, but an amount more akin to killing a ship and not the instant smite request of properly destroying the AA.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
That terrible itchy feeling when you've maxed out the hate you can afford, but you're sure there's at least one more alien agent still wandering around.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I kinda hate (heh) the Hate mechanic. It encourages toeing the line and inhibiting certain lanes of progress because you are afraid the aliens are going to come and push your poo poo in. The devs are of course going for a simulationist approach to the game with the aliens using their technological superiority but I would prefer it to be a bit more gamified.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What would that look like? It's already pretty gamey that you have a hate bar and the aliens react in specific predictable ways to specific actions.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I kinda hate (heh) the Hate mechanic. It encourages toeing the line and inhibiting certain lanes of progress because you are afraid the aliens are going to come and push your poo poo in. The devs are of course going for a simulationist approach to the game with the aliens using their technological superiority but I would prefer it to be a bit more gamified.

I'm ok with the hate mechanic in principle. However, it seems a bit too binary to me. Either you are hosed or you are not. I (at least I remember I liked) liked the way x-com apocalypse handled it, with the aliens becoming more and more aggressive if you were doing well. If they were doing well, they'd resort to more infiltration-based tactics.

It'd be fun to engage in more limited war with the aliens.

EDIT:

I mean ok, trinary. Not hosed, hosed and turbo-hosed.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SettingSun posted:

If filling an orbit around Earth with platforms with a Solar Collector and Quarters to sacrifice to the Ayys whenever I blow something up isn't gaming the system, I don't know what is. If I want to keep something, its a T2 Hab and gets 2x LDAs whether they're effective or not because the Aliens just gently caress off and destroy something else.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How much do people care about committing to global research? Because I ended up diverting all my lightbulbs to my own projects and for the most part not caring about setting the next target.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You should try to regularly direct a global research slot. They are far too important to leave it completely to the AI's random rolls of the dice.

You also get a bonus to all your research output the more research slots you have pips in. It's not enough to make up for the diverted research, but it is a pretty significant amount that ameliorates the bleed. And it makes the whole globe stronger, which is pretty useful imo.

Keisari posted:

I'm ok with the hate mechanic in principle. However, it seems a bit too binary to me. Either you are hosed or you are not. I (at least I remember I liked) liked the way x-com apocalypse handled it, with the aliens becoming more and more aggressive if you were doing well. If they were doing well, they'd resort to more infiltration-based tactics.

It'd be fun to engage in more limited war with the aliens.

EDIT:

I mean ok, trinary. Not hosed, hosed and turbo-hosed.

The hate mechanic allows you to engage in limited war with the aliens; enough to take out alien agents and priority space targets like surveillance ships. You can even engage in land warfare. There are certain actions which really piss the aliens off, and granted you don't get told what those are, so eh.

IMO you only really run into issues if you treat hate as a 'hate cap' on your infrastructure, which I've seen a lot of people do. They get told they can build X MC without pissing off the aliens, they build up to that point, and then get frustrated that they can't do anything against the aliens. If you want to confront the aliens or even the Servants regularly, you need to leave a significant buffer in your hate to do that with.

I do think that gaining alien hate by attacking the Servants is entirely wrong headed. Fighting the alien's proxies should be exactly what you *CAN* do when the aliens are too pissed to directly confront.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 3, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Before I do something I might regret, what is the approximate hate generation of assassinating an alien on earth vs trying to intercept one of those delivery gunships?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m into Feb 2024 in my long campaign and Luna is so loving poo poo. I’m completely gimped.

It feels like I should be conquering mars right now but I lack the boost and the space resources to do it effectively. On the flip side I control research so I get to gatekeep mars at my own pace by going for military and fission techs.

My plan is to try and weaponize space as soon as possible. I want to build a 3-4 shipyard (that I’ve dubbed Space Norfolk) and start cranking out Artemis monitors or cruisers to attack the aliens wherever possible and stop their surveillance, abduction and councillor insertions. For this reason I’m going to focus heavily on fission since that gives me a more immediate payoff than trying to beeline fusion.

What are approximate years in a long campaign that you “should” have hit certain milestones like mars colonies etc?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alchenar posted:

How much do people care about committing to global research? Because I ended up diverting all my lightbulbs to my own projects and for the most part not caring about setting the next target.

If you're trying to beat the other factions to a particular planet, you should go all in on the Mission to X techs, because you get a bonus to scanning speed for that planet based on how much you research you contribute. You also get a bonus to the chance to unlock projects from techs based on your contribution.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Am I correct in the impression that the scientist Councilor you get at the start is kinda of useless for that stage of the game and should be replaced with an operative or something?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Am I correct in the impression that the scientist Councilor you get at the start is kinda of useless for that stage of the game and should be replaced with an operative or something?

Generally, the scientist doesn't really have a good mission/skill combination so it's not something you generally want in the absolute start since they're better for advising in your best research country.

That said a maxed out Scientist can help you pump out a lot of science which is nice.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The function of a scientist is to hold all of your research-producing orgs and increase the bonus they give, while otherwise training ADM and sitting in your biggest/best country on permanent advise duty mixed with occasional defend interests when your other councilors are busy.

I generally make this my 5th pick, but I guess if you can play an efficient early game it would mean that you started maxed-out advising sooner, so it depends how action-intensive your playstyle is.

For me, the early game is completely full because even if I'm not doing anything else, I'm grabbing random countries to control/purge, set to unity+growth, then abandoning so that they end up stable and with high public opinion for my faction.
And I am doing something else, because you should always be killing the good Servants councilors while leaving/turning the useless ones until they end up with a stable of fools.
Then you should turn the best advisor from each other faction consecutively, long enough to scope out and steal their best orgs.

So yeah, don't start with a scientist unless it's part of a specific plan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SweetBro posted:

The first two agents you get are random, I believe picked from the pool of classes that have the investigate alien activity mission. If you start a custom campaign, you have the option to choose what class they'll be, or start with no agent and +30 influence instead.

But yeah, scientists aren't great for the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The main virtue Scientists have is that they can roll a wide variety of +science% traits.

I like Professors or Astronauts instead. They aren't as guaranteed good at science as Scientists, but Professors can usually go adequately into Persuasion while Astronauts are highly flexible and good candidates to develop as your prime agent.