Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Not being able to save ain't poo poo to me, when I was 13 I rented a playstation and FFT because I wanted to play it so badly, but with no memory card, I just had to keep that sumbitch on for five days straight (then I had to give it back to the video store)

My mom's best friend moved in with us for a while when I was a kid in the mid 80's and she had an Atari 2600. You couldn't save games on it so I left a game running overnight so I could see how far I could get in Defender and it killed the poor Atari.

The future is great, the past sucked!

I can't wait to dig in to this game. Who releases a game on a Monday Morning!? I'm having a very hard time working and not just coming up with an excuse to take the rest of the day off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ego Trip posted:

I don't like the increased RNG around councilors, especially at the start and I don't like all the extra micro.

Making your CP cap a function of councilor abilities makes the starting RNG even more important and can make assassinations later in the game very difficult to recover from.

Making it harder to form super nations means that the individual countries stick around longer. Which means I have more CPs to defend, more opinions to raise, more unrest to lower, more investment to mange, etc.

I don't like Grand Strategy and I don't like what Jonny has done after Long War so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that I don't like where TI is going.

yeah if you don’t like grand strategy then it makes sense you wouldn’t like a grand strategy game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Danaru posted:

What places do you guys try to control first? My opponents all went in on Europe, so I went all in on taking control of Africa. It turns out Africa is like, really big, so I wound up blazing by my management cap and while I'm raking in cash, I'm hemhoraging influence and uh now I can't do most actions :shepface:

you want south korea or japan, which are small enough to be obtainable while also having launch and research capability

you also want to uninstall the game because it's garbage lmao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who only found out about Perun via his amazing videos about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, it's weird seeing him playing this. Especially since the game actually INCLUDES said invasion.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AceOfFlames posted:

As someone who only found out about Perun via his amazing videos about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, it's weird seeing him playing this. Especially since the game actually INCLUDES said invasion.

In his current LP he ended up taking over Russia and the US and having them gang up on Ukraine. He even made a comment about forgetting it ever happened.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

you also want to uninstall the game because it's garbage lmao

Really? It's been like crack to me

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was going to say that the fact that we have.. what.. five posts on release day doesn't bode well for interest in this game, because this dead gay comedy forum would find it right in their wheelhouse.

I own it, but trying to get my head around game play videos.. I may just have to bite the bullet and dive in.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

SirFozzie posted:

I was going to say that the fact that we have.. what.. five posts on release day doesn't bode well for interest in this game, because this dead gay comedy forum would find it right in their wheelhouse.

I own it, but trying to get my head around game play videos.. I may just have to bite the bullet and dive in.

there's not really any buzz about it is the problem,. i haven't seen anyone at all talk about it outside a small mention in the 4X thread as well as here.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think a lot of the lack of interest is down to the underwhelming demo and the honestly very uninteresting visual representation of the game, the release trailer was a very good representation of this issue.

The only immediately obvious change from the demo I've noticed is that the tech tree got moved around a little bit which has helped me navigate it better. I'm not sure what the developers have been working on in the last 4 months but it sure as hell isn't the UI, which is still trash garbage. They've still made some spotty improvements to the UI here and there, for example the control point system, you now have a control limit that's shown on the resource bar and hovering over a control point shows you what it will cost you to control it and there's been some changes to councilor skill icons.

Every issue I had with the demo is still present. The space layer is an afterthought and there's no purpose to ships except to fight the aliens directly. You don't transport resources so there's no logistics. The only non-combat use for ships is a module that lets you place a pre-built station module, and a boarding module that lets you attack bases (with a councilor). The economy basically doesn't exist and most of the economy that does revolves entirely around orgs, some of which vastly outstrip entire nations in their economic output.

There are still several tiers of ship modules that are functionally identical with just one or two optimal choices per category, until you splash into the midgame techs and everything consolidates around plasma technology. The fastest starting missile is less maneuverable than a spaceship and will miss, then expend its fuel trying to catch back up.

I get the sense that they built out the different systems for realism and then never figured out how to make them fun or work together. Delving into the game files there's a ton of extra data I just can't see a purpose for except to cater to realism nerds. Here's an example of stats tied to Mars.
code:
"symbolTexture": "icons_2d/ICO_Mars",
   "mapResource": "",
   "mapScale": null,
   "barycenterName": "Sol",
   "objectType": "Planet",
   "effectToExplore": "Effect_ExploreMars",
   "irradiatedMultiplier": 1,
   "atmosphere": "Thin",
   "semiMajorAxis_AU": 1.523679,
   "semiMajorAxis_km": null,
   "eccentricity": 0.093412,
   "inclination_Deg": 1.85061,
   "longAscendingNode_Deg": 49.57854,
   "longPeriapsis_Deg": null,
   "meanLongitude_Deg": null,
   "argPeriapsis_Deg": 286.537,
   "meanAnomalyAtEpoch_Deg": 19.3564,
   "apsidalPrecession_Years": null,
   "nodalPrecession_Years": null,
   "epoch_floatJYears": 2000,
   "meanRadius_km": null,
   "equatorialRadius_km": 3396.2,
   "dimensionX_km": null,
   "dimensionY_km": null,
   "dimensionZ_km": null,
   "oblateness": 0.00648,
   "mass_kg": 6.4171e+23,
   "density_gcm3": 3.93,
   "rotationPeriod_strHours": "24.6480",
   "rotationOffset_Deg": null,
   "tilt_Deg": 25.19,
   "tiltskew_Deg": null,
   "fabricatedData": "",
   "Hill Radius in km": 982793,
   "Hill radius pass-fail": "982793.00",
   "angularDiameterMultiplier": 1,
   "atmosphereScaleHeight_km": 11.1,
   "atmosphereSurfaceDensity_kgpm3": 0.02
From this and the short conversation I had with the developer months ago, I get the sense the game was designed more as a simulation, than as an actual game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Boy, this game is frustrating to own. I want to like it really badly, but I'm somehow even more down on it now than I was during the demo (which I put like 20 hours into, lmao).

The core gameplay loop (agent management) is an unfun game of whack-a-mole with very poor feedback. Every two weeks (or a month) you get to give your handful of agents some missions, but because of the way agent skills work, half of the time you'll wind up with at least one agent who just doesn't really have anything particularly useful to do at any given time, and so they just waste space by sitting there hunkering down or whatever.

Agent actions only feel partially impactful. In my current game, I concentrated solely on getting an iron grip on the United States. All four of my agents were generally active there at any time, either boosting popularity, gaining control points, surveilling for enemy agents, or exposing/dealing with enemy agents on American soil. Despite that, after I'd gained half of the US CP's, my popularity (then around 70%) took a nosedive down into the high-30s for no apparently reason that I was able to see. I felt like I had enemy agent actions pretty much locked down since I was focusing all of my energy on that one country, so none of the other factions should have been able to touch me there. Beyond that, I only happened to notice that the popularity dived because it suddenly became so much harder to gain the next control point.

For the vast majority of the early game, there is nothing to do but play this exceedingly boring agent control game. It feels like a layer is missing -- I do have an option to directly control governments that I've taken over, but those interactions are extremely shallow and largely locked behind tech (i.e. the ability to form supranational states), expensive when it comes to resources needed, or just outright nonexistent. I took over Canada early on in another save -- great, you'd think, I can probably do something cool with my control over an entire G7 country, right? lolnope, it's literally just there to give me a trickle of mana. Theoretically one can "manage" the country via the pip allocation, but this is so shallow as to basically be nonexistent, you can quite conceivably just ignore that entire system.

The game purports to be about controlling a shadowy ideological faction trying to vie for control of the human race's response to the alien arrival, but it's really just meaningless shuffling three or four agent tokens around a map.

A lot of time and energy has apparently been put into lore and worldbuilding, and by God that's the only part of this game that is in any way interesting or compelling. But as strong as that part is, it's not enough to make up for the rest of the actual experience playing this game, which is slow, tedious, unresponsive, confusing, and overall just so listless and unfocused.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My biggest issue so far is how god drat random the starts can be. If you start with high persuasion media darlings, you just snooze you way into dominating whatever part of the globe you want with little effort, but the next game you might not end up with anyone above an effective 6 persuasion. If the other stats did anything proactive, it'd be different, but they're all reactive or give you stuff that have minimal impact comparatively.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That's the other thing: it's entirely possible to start a game and have default agents that are just extremely poo poo, or incapable of doing things that you need to do to viably get off the ground. It's easy to be handicapped by the initial world gen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think that's another example of why the org system is poorly implemented. The agent archetypes don't matter. A few orgs have requirements for nationality and a significant chunk of them rely on the criminal tag, but you can stack orgs to let any agent do any action so the only important factor for an agent is their initial stats and you always level up administration first.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I get the sense that they built out the different systems for realism and then never figured out how to make them fun or work together. Delving into the game files there's a ton of extra data I just can't see a purpose for except to cater to realism nerds. Here's an example of stats tied to Mars.
code:
"symbolTexture": "icons_2d/ICO_Mars",
   "mapResource": "",
   "mapScale": null,
   "barycenterName": "Sol",
   "objectType": "Planet",
   "effectToExplore": "Effect_ExploreMars",
   "irradiatedMultiplier": 1,
   "atmosphere": "Thin",
   "semiMajorAxis_AU": 1.523679,
   "semiMajorAxis_km": null,
   "eccentricity": 0.093412,
   "inclination_Deg": 1.85061,
   "longAscendingNode_Deg": 49.57854,
   "longPeriapsis_Deg": null,
   "meanLongitude_Deg": null,
   "argPeriapsis_Deg": 286.537,
   "meanAnomalyAtEpoch_Deg": 19.3564,
   "apsidalPrecession_Years": null,
   "nodalPrecession_Years": null,
   "epoch_floatJYears": 2000,
   "meanRadius_km": null,
   "equatorialRadius_km": 3396.2,
   "dimensionX_km": null,
   "dimensionY_km": null,
   "dimensionZ_km": null,
   "oblateness": 0.00648,
   "mass_kg": 6.4171e+23,
   "density_gcm3": 3.93,
   "rotationPeriod_strHours": "24.6480",
   "rotationOffset_Deg": null,
   "tilt_Deg": 25.19,
   "tiltskew_Deg": null,
   "fabricatedData": "",
   "Hill Radius in km": 982793,
   "Hill radius pass-fail": "982793.00",
   "angularDiameterMultiplier": 1,
   "atmosphereScaleHeight_km": 11.1,
   "atmosphereSurfaceDensity_kgpm3": 0.02
From this and the short conversation I had with the developer months ago, I get the sense the game was designed more as a simulation, than as an actual game.

I'm thinking this might be a symptom of Devs valuing their vision of the game over making something that's actually fun and engaging. Hopefully this is fairly moddable and something fun can be made out of it in a few months, because the premise is so exciting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drone posted:

That's the other thing: it's entirely possible to start a game and have default agents that are just extremely poo poo, or incapable of doing things that you need to do to viably get off the ground. It's easy to be handicapped by the initial world gen.

So far, this is my only issue with the game, the rest has been okay to cool so far, though I didn't manage to get into space during the demo. If I have one big tip, it's to not go for China/the USA first. As juicy as those GDPs are, they also make those nations very difficult to break into. Right now, trying for Japan then South Korea (they're both 4 CP democracies, but Japan has a bigger GDP, less strife and anime) seems to be a good opener, with Kazakhstan next (gotta get that Baikonur, yanno). But yeah, it's dependent on having good initial agents right out the bat. I suppose it could be possible to seize one of the big two early if you play on Cinematic difficulty and/or if you play one of the extreme factions (Resistance/Humanity First if you're going 40K, Servants/Protectorate if you're going traitor), but even it's gonna be a fight.

EDIT: That said, you should not forget the power of direct investment (look under a nation's Priorities tab)- if you have a foothold on a nation, along with the cash and influence to spend, even a 10-point spend on Unity can significantly increase your chances of gaining a control point.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo, ISIS is an org you can recruit :stare: I want so bad to get that for a faction in control of the USA.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 27, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Drone posted:

Boy, this game is frustrating to own. I want to like it really badly, but I'm somehow even more down on it now than I was during the demo (which I put like 20 hours into, lmao).

The core gameplay loop (agent management) is an unfun game of whack-a-mole with very poor feedback. Every two weeks (or a month) you get to give your handful of agents some missions, but because of the way agent skills work, half of the time you'll wind up with at least one agent who just doesn't really have anything particularly useful to do at any given time, and so they just waste space by sitting there hunkering down or whatever.

Agent actions only feel partially impactful. In my current game, I concentrated solely on getting an iron grip on the United States. All four of my agents were generally active there at any time, either boosting popularity, gaining control points, surveilling for enemy agents, or exposing/dealing with enemy agents on American soil. Despite that, after I'd gained half of the US CP's, my popularity (then around 70%) took a nosedive down into the high-30s for no apparently reason that I was able to see. I felt like I had enemy agent actions pretty much locked down since I was focusing all of my energy on that one country, so none of the other factions should have been able to touch me there. Beyond that, I only happened to notice that the popularity dived because it suddenly became so much harder to gain the next control point.

For the vast majority of the early game, there is nothing to do but play this exceedingly boring agent control game. It feels like a layer is missing -- I do have an option to directly control governments that I've taken over, but those interactions are extremely shallow and largely locked behind tech (i.e. the ability to form supranational states), expensive when it comes to resources needed, or just outright nonexistent. I took over Canada early on in another save -- great, you'd think, I can probably do something cool with my control over an entire G7 country, right? lolnope, it's literally just there to give me a trickle of mana. Theoretically one can "manage" the country via the pip allocation, but this is so shallow as to basically be nonexistent, you can quite conceivably just ignore that entire system.

The game purports to be about controlling a shadowy ideological faction trying to vie for control of the human race's response to the alien arrival, but it's really just meaningless shuffling three or four agent tokens around a map.

A lot of time and energy has apparently been put into lore and worldbuilding, and by God that's the only part of this game that is in any way interesting or compelling. But as strong as that part is, it's not enough to make up for the rest of the actual experience playing this game, which is slow, tedious, unresponsive, confusing, and overall just so listless and unfocused.

This is pretty much my impression as well. It had a promise of a character-driven mapgame in the vein of CK2, full of politicking, intrigue and shady machinations. But in practice it's not like that at all. It's extremely tediously managing a couple of numbers to slowly go up. Agents might as well just be a pool of actions you can do, because there's no organic interactions at all. Everything you do takes a long-rear end time and gives very incremental benefits. Research is boring as hell. Space looked cool, but I couldn't be arsed to play that long to find out.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This really seems like the type of game that will be fantastic to play in two years time when all the patches and DLC have been released and calibrated or it will be completely dead and busted, but at the present time it just seems like it requires a lot of work for not a lot of fun or even gameplay gain.

It's not good or bad, it's just extremely lackluster.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The flip side of "ignore the USA and other majors early on" is "don't get tunnel vision and ignore them entirely". I just abandoned a 6 hour game because the Servants managed to take total control of the USA and were just chain invading everyone and then had a nuclear exchange with Academy-owned Russia.

Space happens a lot faster now it seems like. I feel like in the demo if you were really rushing it you'd have moon bases in 2023-2024, but my last run the entire moon was colonized and bases were being dropped on mars in 2024.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thus far, the game has proven to be almost exactly what I expected it to be based on the demo: slow, with a deeply uncompromising view of the difficulties of spaceflight (honestly, it's surprisingly generous- you can put boots on Mars within a few years of game start). In fact, it's almost exactly what I was expecting it to be when I first heard the Long War guys were making their own game.

What is surprising to me, and the reason that I can't agree with the accusations of mindless simulationism or developer "laziness", is that... it's really loving boardgamey? Like, shockingly boardgamey, considering its concept and pedigree. The whole agent action/turn system, shadowy influence over nationstates represented by abstract "control points", military forces being reduced to defence only/can attack/can attack overseas, all the complexities of political economy being reduced to like half a dozen numbers that range from 1 to 9 and have very clearly defined effects and interactions, boost only really- at least as far as I can tell- being a thing for Earth? Like getting stuff out of Earth's gravity well is a problem, but once you're out there Mars' or Mercury's doesn't matter? Oh, and orgs-as-equipment has to be the most ridiculously boardgamey thing I have ever seen in my life. In an alternate timeline there's a version of this game where all of these orgs are set up like Vicky 3's interest groups with agendas and influence and fighting for control of them is the base gameplay loop, but whatever.

[e: Like, look at the way base materials only exist in space. On Earth, the game just assumes that the global economy has all of these things in functionally infinite quantities and so the only resources it bothers to track at that end of the gravity well are money and boost. Compare that to, like, Aurora, which has a general-purpose simulation that wants everything in it to be interchangeable economic units subject to the same generalised rules.]

There's clearly been a lot of thought and effort put into taking complex concepts and rendering them legible and gamifiable, reducing mushy, murky gradients to clear and snappy binaries and big push-button decisions. I have problems with the game, but most of them so far seem to be the product of that drive for boardgamification- the early game scramble for influence is a little staid and static I think mostly because they've sanded it down to a few simple actions with obvious consequences and in the process lost a bunch of the complexies that might have added some dimensions to the proceedings. This is the exact opposite failure state to what I would have expected of oversimulation (confusing and opaque with no obvious calls to action).

Demiurge4 posted:

This is kinda like, yeah, that's a bunch of numbers that have no clear gameplay use (you could be using some of them to be calculating launch windows and such, but)- but it's also a bunch of numbers that it would take five minutes to pull off of wikipedia. Getting these into the datafiles and then setting the game up to display them in a cute little info panel for the hard sci fi nerds to coo over would have taken approximately no development resources of significance. I don't think it's fair to take it as evidence of anything.

Cynic Jester posted:

My biggest issue so far is how god drat random the starts can be. If you start with high persuasion media darlings, you just snooze you way into dominating whatever part of the globe you want with little effort, but the next game you might not end up with anyone above an effective 6 persuasion. If the other stats did anything proactive, it'd be different, but they're all reactive or give you stuff that have minimal impact comparatively.

You're not rendered entirely passive without persuasion. If you can pick up investigation/espionage you can do crackdowns/purges and rack up CPs that way- and I think coups key off command? But I think having public campaign and control nation both key of persuasion is a problem. Or, having public campaigns being your main/only way to build up support in a country- if there were a variety of approaches you could take there I think it would go a ways to smoothing things out.

CommissarMega posted:

So far, this is my only issue with the game, the rest has been okay to cool so far, though I didn't manage to get into space during the demo. If I have one big tip, it's to not go for China/the USA first. As juicy as those GDPs are, they also make those nations very difficult to break into. Right now, trying for Japan then South Korea (they're both 4 CP democracies, but Japan has a bigger GDP, less strife and anime) seems to be a good opener, with Kazakhstan next (gotta get that Baikonur, yanno). But yeah, it's dependent on having good initial agents right out the bat. I suppose it could be possible to seize one of the big two early if you play on Cinematic difficulty and/or if you play one of the extreme factions (Resistance/Humanity First if you're going 40K, Servants/Protectorate if you're going traitor), but even it's gonna be a fight.

Honestly, I think the US is the play. Bigger countries are more CP-efficient (even if they're more expensive in absolute terms), it locks down all those nukes and the best military in the world, and if you don't pull a major that already has boost starting out then you're going to bottleneck on that for a while. You just need to have an understanding that "going for the US" means securing its neighbours first and running public campaigns first in order to soften it up first.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 27, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Is the early EU strat still viable? It felt like a good way of compensating for the lackluster military but very high research

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Oh wow, I've been busy playing this game every available moment so when I find a moment to come back to the thread I'm surprised to find it full of complaints.

quote:

Every issue I had with the demo is still present. The space layer is an afterthought and there's no purpose to ships except to fight the aliens directly. You don't transport resources so there's no logistics. The only non-combat use for ships is a module that lets you place a pre-built station module, and a boarding module that lets you attack bases (with a councilor). The economy basically doesn't exist and most of the economy that does revolves entirely around orgs, some of which vastly outstrip entire nations in their economic output.

There's a lot of value to the space layer. Stations in Earth orbit can give bonuses to your Earth countries, and warships with the right weapons can bombard. And of course the early game is a scramble for good mining locations. I haven't gotten far enough in to say for sure but I'm told the other factions will fight you in space, too.

quote:

There are still several tiers of ship modules that are functionally identical with just one or two optimal choices per category, until you splash into the midgame techs and everything consolidates around plasma technology. The fastest starting missile is less maneuverable than a spaceship and will miss, then expend its fuel trying to catch back up.

The fastest missiles from the missile tech are like 5 or 6 g, and the hardcoded cap on ship acceleration is 4g and good luck getting that high with any reasonable design. I don't know what you mean unless it's the extremely early game "let's bolt some old cruise missiles onto this spaceship" equipment alongside things like 4" naval guns, and those are meant to be extremely limited.

quote:

I expect if you look into the data files a lot of games have stats like that. It's also worth noting that the game was designed with moddability in mind (not surprising given the dev's origins as mod makers), so making alternate/different solar systems is a pretty common mod choice.

Drone posted:

It's definitely a management game first and foremost, which I knew going in and was happy with. My main complaint with the demo was that you eventually kind of settled in to having a block of nations and just waiting for the space game, but that's been taken care of - the gradual increase of your control cap from councilor stats alongside the better faction AI means my game so far has been a constantly active affair of expanding, moving armies about, defending against the AI, and so on. But I will completely agree that if you view the agents as a subgame and want to get into space for the "real" game you will have a terrible time. As for having a "dead" councilor, I found planning my council makeup practically a minigame in itself, figuring out what abilities I needed while also making sure they all had actions that would be constantly useful instead of just needed in an emergency. The orgs that grant more actions can be really useful for this.

I also find the pip system a lot of fun. I ended up mostly in European nations, while the Academy had France, so I ended up specializing the various nations for different things without unifying the EU. So Germany had my armies, Greece built a space launch facility, the Baltics handled funding, etc. Then I gradually took over more nations and eventually took France, so I started uniting them and ended up with a combined country with all of that production. It did mean I was way behind on boost early game, but I solved that by letting the AI factions have the moon and saving to grab a good site on Mars as soon as the tech was available.

Cynic Jester posted:

Ehh, I started with one low persuasion councilor so I just sent him to check out the alien crash, which gave me influence to hire new councilors so (along with the "Reveal yourself at UN meeting event") I replaced him quite quickly. Early game there's far more nations than all factions combined so it's not nearly the race to grab stuff that it was in the demo, and you can take your time to pick the councilors you want.

Lady Radia posted:

Is the early EU strat still viable? It felt like a good way of compensating for the lackluster military but very high research

It's slower to unite the EU but you can still grab individual parts and they're for to most part pretty good starting nations. See above for how it went in my game.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 27, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
How do you get into space? What things do you need to research to get your first thing in orbit? Which screen do you use to try to launch something. I can't seem to work out how to get my first orbital base.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Servetus posted:

How do you get into space? What things do you need to research to get your first thing in orbit? Which screen do you use to try to launch something. I can't seem to work out how to get my first orbital base.

Zoom out to solar system view (there's a button near the top or mousewheel zoom out) and click tiny Earth. The build in space button shows up at the bottom where your councilor actions usually are. It's badly designed UI

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So for LEO or w/e you need to get to the space view of Earth, so at the zoom level where it shows you the orbital slots, then you'll find a button right at the bottom of the screen and if you hit that you can stick something into orbit. Costs 1.5 boost just for the slot and it goes up from there.

Research wise, I'm not actually sure because by the time I had the boost line up that had already been done, but I think it's Orbital Habs, and then for each further orbital body there's a "Mission to X" research which unlocks that. Modules are unlocked all over the place.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I think you can build a basic station with starting tech. After all, there are already two when the game starts.

However, it's not necessarily a good first step - a station will have upkeep costs, and since you won't have space resources you'll have to pay those costs out of your boost income. Some players prefer to wait until you can get a mining base up on the moon or even Mars to start building stations orbiting Earth, since then you can cover their maintenance cost from your mines.

Mining bases are much more expensive both in terms of research and boost, but not having paid boost maintenance for several years can help you get them out a bit earlier.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Well, that's enough for me to need to restart. I guess you need to start building up boost early instead of trying to cultivate it later.

My game wasn't going so well anyway. The Resistance managed to control France, and they got the US to invade Iran and central Asia, where I had been building a power base. (I was the Servants).

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
How can you control a launch facility? I have full control of the USA, but the achievement for controlling a launch facility hasn't triggered. Am I missing a step that would give me a ton of extra boost for actually controlling it?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

question for the mid/late game now that it’s available - how do the outer planets and then aliens start interacting? I know by that point you have your own various factions you’re still tangling with from earth, but since it seems there’s no sci fi esque FTL, is travel from, say, Neptune just a drag?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

One major tech priority change from the demo is that you need to rush projects that add orgs to the pool every month. Getting access to orgs that provide admin will double your control point cap over time. Once the orgs started generating properly the early game control point wall evolved into something much more manageable.

These projects are Arrival Domestic Politics -> Institutional Outreach and Arrival Economics -> Arrival Markets.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

How can you control a launch facility? I have full control of the USA, but the achievement for controlling a launch facility hasn't triggered. Am I missing a step that would give me a ton of extra boost for actually controlling it?

No, just controlling the nation should get you the full income of the launch facility. I have no idea what's up with that achievement, but I don't have it either.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is there any particular reason to fund one of the public research projects other than when you want to pick the next one? Since everyone benefits from these projects anyway, and the AI seems happy enough to throw funding at them to get them done in a reasonably timely fashion, I feel like I don't have much of an incentive to bother funding them myself most of the time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Drunk in Space posted:

Is there any particular reason to fund one of the public research projects other than when you want to pick the next one? Since everyone benefits from these projects anyway, and the AI seems happy enough to throw funding at them to get them done in a reasonably timely fashion, I feel like I don't have much of an incentive to bother funding them myself most of the time.

You unlock special projects associated with research you funded faster than if you hadn't funded it

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Holy poo poo I am enjoying it but this game takes WAY too long. I expected it but drat I'm like 8-10 hours in and only in late 2027.

Also I have somehow (by being dumb probably) managed to not have councilors with the right stats who also have the crackdown or coup missions so that's been an absolute nightmare. On the upside my commando is command 25 now and an absolute murder machine. Please tell me there are some orgs that grant either of those missions the inability to do either is crippling but I don't want to restart or flush a councillor I've been leveling for years.

This particular game Earth is fragmented as hell and I am loving it. USA is permanently 10 unrest and split between four factions. I (Resistance) have the Eurasian Union/UK alliance at basically max southern extent and am slowly gobbling up the eastern EU while I have two CP in China including the exec (servants hold the other four and all of India, YIKES).

I'm maybe slightly ahead in the space race and have the best three mining sites on Mars which just came online as well as 2/4 Ceres slots.

The real issue is the aliens are now starting to build bases in the outskirts of the asteroid belt and have consolidated control over the entire outer system and nobody has even built a ship yet. It honestly seems pretty hopeless given the tech disparity.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Saros posted:

Holy poo poo I am enjoying it but this game takes WAY too long. I expected it but drat I'm like 8-10 hours in and only in late 2027.

Also I have somehow (by being dumb probably) managed to not have councilors with the right stats who also have the crackdown or coup missions so that's been an absolute nightmare. On the upside my commando is command 25 now and an absolute murder machine. Please tell me there are some orgs that grant either of those missions the inability to do either is crippling but I don't want to restart or flush a councillor I've been leveling for years.

This particular game Earth is fragmented as hell and I am loving it. USA is permanently 10 unrest and split between four factions. I (Resistance) have the Eurasian Union/UK alliance at basically max southern extent and am slowly gobbling up the eastern EU while I have two CP in China including the exec (servants hold the other four and all of India, YIKES).

I'm maybe slightly ahead in the space race and have the best three mining sites on Mars which just came online as well as 2/4 Ceres slots.

The real issue is the aliens are now starting to build bases in the outskirts of the asteroid belt and have consolidated control over the entire outer system and nobody has even built a ship yet. It honestly seems pretty hopeless given the tech disparity.

I just got to the point in my game where I have to assassinate an alien operative, so I confidently selected my 22 command operative, selected the mission, and abruptly learned from the 0% success chance that assassinate is espionage, not command. And my criminal councilor with all the espionage had, of all things, an "Ethical" trait that meant he refused to conduct assassinations. So yeah, working out an optimal spread of councilors to be good at the things you need while also not having nothing to do when you don't need that specific mission seems like a minigame all on its own. I like orgs that give public campaign or reduce unrest since those are frequently useful even with mid to low stats.

It hasn't happened in my game (I got lucky and the Protectorate took the US while Exodus got China, neither of whom seem nuke happy), but I wonder if games where the Earth gets nuked to a frozen wasteland and you have to move almost entirely into space are going to be a thing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 28, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The only thing I think this game needs is a United Nations so that countries you control can grandstand about wars, atrocities, etc. that other factions do.

Right now I have a shipyard around Mars, a couple of ion drive destroyers, a bunch of mines mostly on Mars but also on the moon and a couple of asteroids, and a big stockpile of space resources. I thought my limiter was going to be fissiles for powering habs but now I'm running into mission control as my limiting resource. The power requirements for mission control modules in habs seem pretty bad though. Unless maybe solar power on Mercury or lagrange points close to the sun is really good for mission control farms?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've found that getting into the EU via Ireland / Denmark / Benelux is actually a viable strat since controlling neighbouring countries reduces the difficulty of controlling larger ones.

Plus, reversing Brexit is never not funny.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

The only thing I think this game needs is a United Nations so that countries you control can grandstand about wars, atrocities, etc. that other factions do.

Right now I have a shipyard around Mars, a couple of ion drive destroyers, a bunch of mines mostly on Mars but also on the moon and a couple of asteroids, and a big stockpile of space resources. I thought my limiter was going to be fissiles for powering habs but now I'm running into mission control as my limiting resource. The power requirements for mission control modules in habs seem pretty bad though. Unless maybe solar power on Mercury or lagrange points close to the sun is really good for mission control farms?

Mission control farms at mercury are a really popular tactic with beta players, yeah. I've been doing alright with Earth based MC so far but I like playing the game as a build up Earth economy simulator, so your experience may vary.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

From looking over and estimating some upkeep costs, particularly $/£/€/¥ costs if you don't have an intact earth economy you can never maintain more than a handful of warships. A large scale nuke exchange seems to basically lock you out of mid-late game.

[E] is it worth making a ship to basically roll around carrying a councillor with high command and take over everyone's mining bases?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Saros posted:

A large scale nuke exchange seems to basically lock you out of mid-late game.

I mean

That's also kinda true of real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The impression I'm getting from all the pre-release youtubers is to, unless you're playing as them, ruthlessly crush the Servants without mercy, since their endgoal is actively hostile to pretty much everyone else's efforts.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 28, 2022