Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stairmaster posted:

does the ai actually respect non aggression pacts? I got one with HF but they seem to keep trying to take over my countries
Like with their armies or with peaceful means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone is bound to non-aggression pacts, but that just means militarily. They'll still try to subvert control with councilors.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Everyone is bound to non-aggression pacts, but that just means militarily. They'll still try to subvert control with councilors.

I could swear that I've never been hassled by other factions if I had a NAP with them, including the aliens as academy

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stairmaster posted:

does the ai actually respect non aggression pacts? I got one with HF but they seem to keep trying to take over my countries

It does; they might still do Public Campaigns in your country, but they shouldn’t do Purge, Crackdown etc without warning you first that the pact is canceled.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Has anyone seen 3 Body Problem? I feel like a lot of what goes on in that show could be cinematic content for operations and missions in Terra Invicta.

3 Body Problem Spoilers:

Wade is basically the leader of Humanity First with Clarence as a CMD/SEC/INV councilor
Ye Wenjie is like the leader of the Servants with Mike Evans as a politician/spy councilor - Tatiana is straight up CMD/SPY/Covert ops running assassination and protect missions.

All the Oxford 5 characters could be thought of as Academy- with revelations about the alien invasion plans causing them to split towards Humanity First and Auggie perhaps becoming Protectorate or staying Academy.

Even stuff like the "buy a star" program they show later where people spend millions of dollars to purchase the rights to colonize a star with proceeds feeding the war effort sound an awful lot like a resistance faction putting pips into the "Funding" category of the UK...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yup, it’s heavily inspired by 3 body problem, to the extent that there’s at least one loading screen quote from The Dark Forest, the sequel book. Won’t elaborate due to spoiler territory.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There's enough original stuff going on in the game's story that it never feels like a rip-off, but that was very obviously one of the primary inspirations the writers were drawing from

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there any way to prevent the Aliens from landing agents before fusion drives? I built some Burner drive interceptors but the alien transports wont engage even a single ship with 15 strength to their 100.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Xenoborg posted:

Is there any way to prevent the Aliens from landing agents before fusion drives? I built some Burner drive interceptors but the alien transports wont engage even a single ship with 15 strength to their 100.

I didn’t really find a way to do it, but they stopped trying pretty early on - maybe because I had too much strength in orbit even if it was grid or Pharos stuff.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just had a resistance game going into 2040 shut down hard because it turns out that bombarding ufos from orbit generates far more threat than nuking the armies they produce.

By the way whats the "meta" research path you should take for fission

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Xenoborg posted:

Advanced Fission drives, ideally the Firestar if it unlocks. Interceptions depend on your ship's thrust so burner drives will never be able to force an engagement.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Xenoborg posted:

Advanced chemical rockets, seriously.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Turns out the new update broke my mod that turned off Defend Interests. Specifically, the super convenient flag where you could say disabled=true. Had to really kludge it to get it working again with some real bullshit nonsense that was almost certainly the wrong way to do it. (mission only shows up in space but requires the councilor be on earth).

Really wish I knew how to code sometimes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm trying to play this game now that it's on Game Pass and I'm really struggling to get past the first 3-4 hours of a campaign. This game loves to throw a 'here's a new thing that's important - hope you spend the last hour or two optimising towards it!' at you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Don't stress about it too much. There's room for errors and shenanigans and playing catch up on anything but the highest difficulty.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah there's a lot of talk about getting all the good boost countries and being the first to gobble up all the extraterrestrial mining sites and dominating scientific progress but that's all surmountable. Take your time and drink in what the game is presenting.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The key thing to note is that neither the human nor the alien AI has much in the way of "killer instinct" - that is, they don't really go "Ah ha! They're down and vulnerable! Time to shatter everything they have and then keep the boot on them until they expire!" They'll take a swipe at you now and then if your guard is down or if you've pissed them off, but otherwise they tend to be fairly passive and focus on doing their own thing. That gives you time to build up and recover from setbacks.

As long as you can field and maintain a reasonably effective battle fleet in Earth orbit, even if it's a one-shot missile boat fleet, you can bounce back from almost anything. Though the aliens DO get fairly aggressive with their armies if they land and form the alien administration, but even that can be handled with a few nukes if necessary, of which the world has no shortage.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This of course changes if you go to total war from my experience. Also the human factions seemed a bit more aggressive than usual during my last servants play through but that might just be specific to them

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

This of course changes if you go to total war from my experience. Also the human factions seemed a bit more aggressive than usual during my last servants play through but that might just be specific to them

I've found it's a bit yes and no myself. The thing is the aliens seem really cautious even in total war - they'll blow up stuff they think they can take, sure, but it doesn't seem to take THAT much of a battle fleet to convince them they need to tread softly. In my last game they were only ever going after my undefended asteroid mines by the mid-game, and by late game when I'd slapped battlestations on everything I just wasn't getting attacked, period, and on the rare occasion they DID send a fleet out they'd frequently just turn around and go home immediately upon arrival if I reinforced at all. Which is actually why I haven't FINISHED my last game because I was playing Academy and I really wasn't looking forward to having to whackamole every single alien fleet parked by a battlestation.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Alchenar posted:

I'm trying to play this game now that it's on Game Pass and I'm really struggling to get past the first 3-4 hours of a campaign. This game loves to throw a 'here's a new thing that's important - hope you spend the last hour or two optimising towards it!' at you.

+1ing the others that there's really no worry about making 'mistakes'. On all but the hardest difficulty (and probably even then) even the worst gamestates can eventually be turned around - just depends on how much of a slog you can bear.

All optimal strategies are for is crushing the aliens quickly before it becomes said slog.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Terra Invicta is shockingly forgiving considering the devs are the makers of XCOM Long War. Just keep swinging away at it. You'll know when you hit the point of either downhill tedium or there's really nothing left for you to try, and that's when you go into the next game and apply everything you've learned to murderize the aliens properly.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tomn posted:

I've found it's a bit yes and no myself. The thing is the aliens seem really cautious even in total war - they'll blow up stuff they think they can take, sure, but it doesn't seem to take THAT much of a battle fleet to convince them they need to tread softly. In my last game they were only ever going after my undefended asteroid mines by the mid-game, and by late game when I'd slapped battlestations on everything I just wasn't getting attacked, period, and on the rare occasion they DID send a fleet out they'd frequently just turn around and go home immediately upon arrival if I reinforced at all. Which is actually why I haven't FINISHED my last game because I was playing Academy and I really wasn't looking forward to having to whackamole every single alien fleet parked by a battlestation.

I just finished my brutal difficulty Academy campaign after about 20 years of goofing off fixing global warming, inequality and governance around the world (except for Australia. Don’t ask). Early the aliens were really aggressive, getting to Ceres by 2028 along with multiple belts. I went to war early and we were fighting in earth orbit until around 2031. Then they backed off and gave me time to breathe. I think despite being at total war the other factions were still a distraction and I didn’t have really big fleet fights until late game, probably because my stuff was better defended than the other factions. It’s time for a long break but I highly recommend going to war early for a more engaging early game than turtling, provided you have an idea of ship designs (cheap, low dV, missiles, then bigger missiles (Poseidon), then eventually big nose arc lasers and spinal rail/coil guns with actual armor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay I persevered and have caught the bug for now. I'm focussing on consolidating and unifying the EU while trying to do something about the fact that the Servants somehow have Russia and India and are terrifyingly popular in China right now.

I've also staked claims on the two most promising sites on the moon but it looks like trying to start mining there will cost more resources than it generates so sitting on that for a while.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Okay I persevered and have caught the bug for now. I'm focussing on consolidating and unifying the EU while trying to do something about the fact that the Servants somehow have Russia and India and are terrifyingly popular in China right now.

I've also staked claims on the two most promising sites on the moon but it looks like trying to start mining there will cost more resources than it generates so sitting on that for a while.

The answer to why the aliens are surprisingly popular somewhere is aliens. It’s always aliens. It’s possible to reduce every faction to irrelevance but as long as the Servants have alien support they can be a thorn in your side all the way to the end.

Also if you mean that the moon sites will cost more in water and volatiles than they produce, it can still be worth it if it produces base metals. Building up a stockpile of space resources makes it drastically cheaper to colonize anywhere else. Also hydroponics and their upgrades can significantly cut the water and volatile maintenance cost of running things in space anyways - most of that maintenance cost is feeding the crew, which hydroponics offsets for a minimal cost.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah you really want extraterrestrial mining up even if it's a cost sink because it's an investment that will quickly pay off. Paying for your space logistics with boost will eventually become untenable and will be quickly offset by how much cheaper things will be when all the material is already in space.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh yeah I know getting into space is necessary, the game just throws options open to you before you've actually researched the stuff that makes it worthwhile/tenable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What's a good strategy for speedrunning as much MC as possible?

My previous strategy of going max MC on every European country before absorbing it into the EU doesn't work as well now if that's all I control because my research and military output won't be able to keep up with what the aliens and servants are doing on Earth. I also don't like having to build MC modules around Mercury either.

There's gotta be a way to speed up the MC construction...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
There's a new building on stations/habs for administration, the second level one gives a MC + a 5% boost to (almost) all production at the site. They're only one per location, and cost boost as upkeep, but I found them very useful on pretty much every 2nd tier and up hab over time. Bonuses to production go 3%/5%/10%.

e: Also, taking over some equatorial nations and building MC there is pretty common because it's cheaper due to real life physics. You can invest in MC, 25 IP for a MC point. You can't invest up to 200 points in every nation anymore, but you can still get some MC in the early game. I'd start with the more stable/wealthier ones so you don't have to spend time keeping unrest down. Costa Rica, Suriname, etc.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 25, 2024

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

There's a new building on stations/habs for administration, the second level one gives a MC + a 5% boost to (almost) all production at the site. They're only one per location, and cost boost as upkeep, but I found them very useful on pretty much every 2nd tier and up hab over time. Bonuses to production go 3%/5%/10%.

e: Also, taking over some equatorial nations and building MC there is pretty common because it's cheaper due to real life physics. You can invest in MC, 25 IP for a MC point. You can't invest up to 200 points in every nation anymore, but you can still get some MC in the early game. I'd start with the more stable/wealthier ones so you don't have to spend time keeping unrest down. Costa Rica, Suriname, etc.

Those are Administration Something/Tower/Complex, and they're essential for Earth interface orbits lategame because the provide a boost to your command point limit. Having 20 ring stations in LEO/Tiangong/ISS orbits will get you +600 CP limit. I found them way more important for that than the relatively small MC bonus they provide (My 2060 Utopia earth required 2302 CP to manage), and I capped out at 1000 MC used.

As for building MC - as mentioned, direct investment for MC is relatively inexpensive, but you do need influence. Building broadcast stations is a good way to get more of that, but it costs money. In my games, at least, starting with the US and going EU the EU was my MC builder, while the US my military backstop. For conventional play where you don't immediately start fighting the aliens, having the US with good miltech is a good solution to that, but breaking into China as fast as you can is also a good idea. US -> EU -> China might take too long if you have aliens running around though.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

The equatorial bonus is to Boost production, not MC. Mission Control is, um, Mission Control centers (Johnson Space Center, for example). Boost is surface to orbit launch sites, which do benefit from being close to the equatorial zone. Regional MC limits are based on pcGDP and pop, I think. So those small equatorial states aren't likely to allow more than maybe 1 MC, but you can easily get their Boost income up well above their economic weight.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I picked this game up, but I'm kind of bouncing off of how to actually do stuff - I've played a few months, researched some things, control Kazakhistan, Canada, and Mexico and have 2 pips in the US, so I kind of get controlling countries (I looked at a guide and this seems like a reasonable start). But I'm not sure what to actually do with control over these nations, what I need to research to move forward, what I should be doing (other than investigating aliens when I can), or just in general how to know what's going on. Is there a good guide or youtube video that walks through 'here's how you actually do stuff in the game' that I can follow along with? Usually once I've played a game for a bit most of the pieces will just click into place, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the 'just play it for a bit' part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I picked this game up, but I'm kind of bouncing off of how to actually do stuff - I've played a few months, researched some things, control Kazakhistan, Canada, and Mexico and have 2 pips in the US, so I kind of get controlling countries (I looked at a guide and this seems like a reasonable start). But I'm not sure what to actually do with control over these nations, what I need to research to move forward, what I should be doing (other than investigating aliens when I can), or just in general how to know what's going on. Is there a good guide or youtube video that walks through 'here's how you actually do stuff in the game' that I can follow along with? Usually once I've played a game for a bit most of the pieces will just click into place, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the 'just play it for a bit' part.
Did you do the tutorial game? That should at least introduce basic concepts, even if thread discourse has illuminated several horrible gaping flaws in my own past strats!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You have two main objectives in the early game.

First is gaining resources in order to improve your councilors, by filling your administration slots with Orgs. Controlled nations help give you resources, as does doing PR. (You gain a bonus influence stake from the % of global population that follows your ideology.) With your improved councilors, you're able to control more powerful nations, and to raise your control point cap.

Second is to bootstrap yourself into space. For this you need Boost (to launch missions) and research. Boost comes primarily from nations. Industrialized nations near the equator are especially valuable, as you get a significant bonus to boost investment the closer the site is to the equator. Research will come from both nations and Orgs, improving your faction and eventually allowing you to build space mines. Typically, you will get an initial mining site on the Moon and use that to bootstrap a mining site on Mars. (The majority of the tonnage of habitats is Metals, so even a small trickle of income can drastically reduce your boost costs.)

There's a bunch of Let's Plays around, although with the recent drop of the new version the vast majority are notably outdated.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugh, is there a way to automate/deal with the protection on your nodes running out? loving hate having the servants swoop in and steal one off me because I didn't notice it had expired.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Ugh, is there a way to automate/deal with the protection on your nodes running out? loving hate having the servants swoop in and steal one off me because I didn't notice it had expired.

There's an automation option (little button on the councilor picture), but it does everything including reduce unrest, defend interest, advise, that sort of thing. Might be useful for one councilor early.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah automation is really designed for late game when you don't want to pay as much attention to Earth.

Personally this is why i made the mod to remove defend interests as a mechanic( with requisite rebalancing). I really hated losing CPs in that manner.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Nessus posted:

Did you do the tutorial game? That should at least introduce basic concepts, even if thread discourse has illuminated several horrible gaping flaws in my own past strats!

I'm playing the tutorial, but it doesn't offer much guidance. There's some plot research it points to, but it doesn't give any idea what I need to research to advance to the next stage of the game (do I need the ship stuff? space station modules?) or how I'm doing. It occasionally says I should do a purge or protect mission, but it doesn't give any indication of how to decide where and when to do them. I've encountered other factions and they seem to be taking over some countries, but I have no idea how to interact with them or what I'd want to do. I've investigated some alien abductions, but I'm not sure I'm doing everything I can with them. I have control of some armies, but I'm not sure what I can do with them or even how to tell them to go to a different province. Currently I just spam missions on the US increasing my influence and trying to take CPs and make time go fast while I do it, I'm not sure if I'm missing something else I should be doing.

That's why I'm thinking a let's play or a good written guide would be good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I'm playing the tutorial, but it doesn't offer much guidance. There's some plot research it points to, but it doesn't give any idea what I need to research to advance to the next stage of the game (do I need the ship stuff? space station modules?) or how I'm doing. It occasionally says I should do a purge or protect mission, but it doesn't give any indication of how to decide where and when to do them. I've encountered other factions and they seem to be taking over some countries, but I have no idea how to interact with them or what I'd want to do. I've investigated some alien abductions, but I'm not sure I'm doing everything I can with them. I have control of some armies, but I'm not sure what I can do with them or even how to tell them to go to a different province. Currently I just spam missions on the US increasing my influence and trying to take CPs and make time go fast while I do it, I'm not sure if I'm missing something else I should be doing.

That's why I'm thinking a let's play or a good written guide would be good.

You’ll definitely want to read a guide (there are a few on Steam) for ship research, particularly drives and reactors. The designers feel it’s important for the game to include research options that represent a wide range of technically feasible space propulsion concepts but a lot of them suck and you shouldn’t waste your time researching them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

One of the fun things about the research is that as I recall, once a general tech topic is researched it just becomes common knowledge. However, if you weren't the largest contributor you don't get to pick the next topic. The engineering projects are just for your faction.

You should do a protect mission on places you care about keeping (so, probably all four of your places), but the effects last for a while. Have you looked at the investment dots?

You're gonna be fastforwarding to your next 'assign guys to do poo poo' a lot, though, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Watch Perun's lets plays in particular his Humanity First run taught me how to play the game. His most up to date lets play is the one where he plays Initiative I think.

A lot of what's on those is outdated but the same general concepts apply.

The game can be broken down into phases:

Early Game
-In broad strokes you prioritize leveling up your councilors and using some of the early game lull to boost their loyalty and skills while rushing to take control of valuable nations.

-Generally this means 2-3 councilors with high PER skill in order to run public campaigns and control nation missions to help you grab the valuable countries you want.

-The 4th councilor should offer you some form of covert activity so high ESP, INV,CMD which lets you either do things like assassinations, crackdowns and purges in order to take over countries already controlled by a rival faction.
So if someone controls Austria's 3 control points there's 2 ways to get them if you want them.

You either get someone with high investigation to launch crackdowns on their control pips. A crackdown disables that pip and makes it open to a purge mission which is done through espionage. Both of these are easier to do if you have higher public opinion scores for your faction. You also suffer penalties to cohesion and stability if public opinion deviates from the controlling faction and that faction is not academy. (Academy can run countries where public opinion isn't in their favor with less penalty because they are "neutral").

The alternative is a Command based councilor who can dovetail into assassinations and covert ops via orgs or upgrades to their ESP skill. With this you do the same public opinion thing but now you destabilize countries in order to launch coups to reshuffle the control points according to public opinion hoping you can control them instead of your opponent. Coups are generally easier to execute but cause damage to GDP output and national stability leaving you with more work to deal with the aftermath.

Eventually you add another councilor who serves as either another covert ops or science councilor depending on what you are doing and have the most need for at that stage in the game.

You can think of organizations as "equipment" in an rpg game. They provide modifiers to your councilor's traits and how many you can use is determined by your admin skill. Councilors provide you with passive money, influence, covert ops and science income based on what their skills/traits are. Sometimes they can cost you, too.

The ADM skill directly controls how many orgs you can hold up to a maximum of 15 discrete organizations. Orgs are worth 1 through 3 stars and the cap for that is separate from the discrete cap. Each point of ADM increases that cap until you hit a max of 25. So you can have 15 orgs with star ratings ranging from 1-3 that total up to or below 25 points if your skill is maxed.

Generally high ADM allows for more orgs, more control point limit (so you can control more countries) and thus stronger councilors.

Then each country represents various problems you need to solve before it can comfortably sit in your sphere of influence and provide you with certain benefits. To take a country over (if other factions don't control it) you generally are rolling invisible dice against some difficulty modifiers that are offset by things that help you (high persusion skill). If you control surrounding countries and have higher public opinion it becomes easier to succeed in a control nation mission. The difficulty modifier is determined by the nation's political system (authoritarian vs democratic) and its population and GDP size. China is Authoritarian and huge so taking control of it is much more difficult than say Austria which is smaller and more democratic.

The strong starters are generally the following mix:

USA -Strong military, research and economic output. It's difficult to take over and once you do you will hit your command cap or slightly exceed it. You can use the US military to fight off alien assault ships or fight wars to help merge countries together (Which optimizes your control cap). Wars are now much harder to fight so the military's value isn't as strong as it was in earlier versions of the game but still valuable to have.

The US is an unstable country that requires you to focus most of its economy towards welfare and knowledge in order to stop the country from becoming a failed democracy with a politically unstable and unhappy population. If the player doesn't control the US it will collapse quickly on its own with civil wars and coups.

EU- You start by taking over France then gradually stitching together a mega nation that encompasses all European states. First you ally and federate them, then you annex them diplomatically (with some penalties to your GDP, Democracy, Welfare and Military tech depending on the size of the country being annxed and how much "worse" those things are than the annexing country.

The advantages are that when you finish, your research should outpace the US and you'll have lots of GDP to invest in things like mission control. Most EU candidate countries are stable and you can get their space programs going in order to max out the MC in each small country then annex it into the larger one to benefit from how population and GDP scale towards knowledge, economy and welfare investment. The gains in those are proportional while MC is an absolute value and thus hits diminishing returns with larger countries. The EU is then flexible to become a military power in its own right or a research powerhouse depending on whether you took the US or not.

India/China- China is a very strong country when it gets going but to do that requires long term investment in GDP, followed by welfare and knowledge so you can democratize it. A democratic country produces more research output than an authoritarian one. It's very difficult to take over so people usually start with India which has cohesion, GDP and welfare issues as well but is more democratic. These nations take a lot of work but their sheer size means they will absolutely max out your research capabilities and in this game technology is super important to your success. China has a a weak but substantial army that can also be upgraded fairly quick to a modern one as well... In the long run these countries will give you far better benefits than the previous two. But in the short run you will gain more immediate benefits running the US or EU which gives you more of a head start towards your space program.

Mid-Game

This brings me to the mid game. As you build research your goal is to prioritize techs that give you a strong space based economy. You'll want control of the best resource nodes on the moon before anyone else which gives you space resources to easily control parts of mars. Then you can make a choice. Either rush to Jupiter or control the inner solar system via Mercury and build a fortress.. Either way the goal here is to establish a space economy supported by things like monetary and mission control inputs from Earth. Along the way youll have build space stations in LEO that max research and investment bonuses in things like material science, social science, energy science , xenoscience (your top priority as this reveals alien activity on earth) and so on. This will help with your national priorities in economy, military etc while also boost your research output from the interface bonus in LEO.

Once this economy is producing sufficient resources you will be able to build ships and take the fight to the aliens. You must be careful how much of your MC you are using at this time as exceeding 90 on normal difficulty without techs like Maskirovka to raise the limit will make the aliens attack you and declare open war until that number drops.

Late-Game

This I know the least about but basically it involves building mega nations on Earth, that span continents in order to secure Earth (as these nations will be too big for any faction to take from you) while simultaneously waging open war on the aliens in space. You'll research end-game techs that tell you how to solve your faction's objectives and then you'll pursue that objective accordingly. At this point the game starts to look more like the expanse rather than Tom Clancy's X-Com with you sending Jack Reacher around to get govt officials to pledge support to you.