Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Friendly misunderstood dogs or dangerous killing machines?

My friends are split 50/50 on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They are friendly loveable cuddle buddies

It's true that if they have bad humans they have a higher danger potential than most other breeds but that's not their fault

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm like 50/50 on dogs to begin with so the ones with the murderous reputation are at the top of my "sus" pile for sure.

going with dangerous killing machinmes, no poll though so ofc have to vote 1 on the thread unfrotueatley

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

No such thing as a bad dog only bad owners.

Bad owners love pitbulls for all the wrong reasons.

They're good boys.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Find and replace "pitbull" with assault rifle" and reread these arguements

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A pit bull took my legs. And my eyes

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm like 50/50 on dogs to begin with so the ones with the murderous reputation are at the top of my "sus" pile for sure.

going with dangerous killing machinmes, no poll though so ofc have to vote 1 on the thread unfrotueatley

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Find and replace "pitbull" with assault rifle" and reread these arguements

You could say the same about human beings

I think we should ban them all

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I didn't realize rifles were living breathing creatures with brains and hearts that made actions without a human physically manipulating them my bad disregard my post.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My childhood was a pit/boxer mix and she was a very good girl even around my dumb toddler rear end, 10/10 doggo.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Show me more than five instances of a pitbull attacking someone when said pitbull isn't owned by a piece of poo poo or someone who doesn't have the slightest clue of how owner/dog dynamics work (e.g. have never established authority with their animal).

Out of the thousands of people who poo poo on these dogs, I've never seen more than a handful of attacks that weren't easily preventable or where the owner should never in a million years own an animal.

Also whoever compared pitbulls to a firearm has a stillbirth brain.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Pet ownership and animal industry are equivalent to slavery, so I am very much pro pit bulls mauling their masters.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Pet ownership is equivalent to slavery
What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Jelly posted:

Show me more than five instances of a pitbull attacking someone when said pitbull isn't owned by a piece of poo poo or someone who doesn't have the slightest clue of how owner/dog dynamics work (e.g. have never established authority with their animal).

Out of the thousands of people who poo poo on these dogs, I've never seen more than a handful of attacks that weren't easily preventable or where the owner should never in a million years own an animal.

Also whoever compared pitbulls to a firearm has a stillbirth brain.

You seem to witness an abnormally large amount of pitbull attacks. Perhaps you’ve been setting a bad example?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You seem to witness an abnormally large amount of pitbull attacks. Perhaps you’ve been setting a bad example?
Have you never consumed information that occurred outside of your personal view? Like, perhaps on the internet or social media, or the news?

Did you know that pit bulls are a massively hated breed and it's all but difficult to avoid pitbull hate stories in these environments?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Every pitbull I've ever met has been an adorable cuddle buddy whose only "over"aggression was the cute kind. :unsmith:

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

Terrible breed. Wife was attacked by one as a child and I’ve known several people who have lost cats/dogs to them attacking unprovoked.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Every pit I’ve been around has been a good dog, but the owners were responsible and caring people.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah one of them bust through my gate into my backyard as a kid and killed my cat in front of me

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Is pit bull an actual defined breed? the media seem to use it as generic term for any dog that has bitten somebody, like you will see an news report about a pit bull attack but the photo clearly shows that it's a loving Pomeranian or something.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 22, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah one of them bust through my gate into my backyard as a kid and killed my cat in front of me
Wait a minute, you're telling me a dog killed your cat?

This happened to my cat too, but it wasn't a pitbull.

I chose to blame the owner.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Jelly posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Someone post that one Tim Kreider comic.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

coldpudding posted:

Is pit bull an actual defined breed? the media seem to use it as generic term for any dog that has bitten somebody, like you will see an news report about a pit bull attack but the photo clearly shows that it's a loving Pomeranian of something.
"Bully" breeds cover a wide brush. American Pit Bull Terrier is an offical breed name but bully breeds extend beyond that descending from the British bull and terriers.

A Pomeranian is not a bully (in breed, they are in personality).

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

coldpudding posted:

Is pit bull an actual defined breed? the media seem to use it as generic term for any dog that has bitten somebody, like you will see an news report about a pit bull attack but the photo clearly shows that it's a loving Pomeranian of something.

I’ve literally only ever seen the opposite. They’ll call it a ‘lab-mix’ and then the picture has that boxy head front and center.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Kilbas posted:

I’ve literally only ever seen the opposite. They’ll call it a ‘lab-mix’ and then the picture has that boxy head front and center.
This is just straight up lying and you should be embarrassed. The media is absolutely obsessed with demonizing pit bulls or at least trolling conversation around them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jelly posted:

Wait a minute, you're telling me a dog killed your cat?

This happened to my cat too, but it wasn't a pitbull.

I chose to blame the owner.

i blame the dog because it was the one that grabbed it and shook it to death and a beagle wouldn't do that

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

i blame the dog because it was the one that grabbed it and shook it to death
Really, every single pit bull in the world grabbed it and shook it to death? Huh.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Jelly posted:

This is just straight up lying and you should be embarrassed. The media is absolutely obsessed with demonizing pit bulls or at least trolling conversation around them.

I’m starting to think you’re setting a bad example for these dogs.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’ve met maybe 5 or 6 pit bulls. They were all nice to me and adorable. One of them later attacked her owner’s girlfriend and had to be put down. So I guess 5 out of 6 pit bulls are all right in my book.

ELK MAN
Jun 18, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
murder machines OP

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I still have nightmares about seeing my neighbor's great dane swallow a cat basically whole right in front of me. Thing was a sweet dog, but I never looked at it the same way again.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’ve met maybe 5 or 6 pit bulls. They were all nice to me and adorable. One of them later attacked her owner’s girlfriend and had to be put down. So I guess 5 out of 6 pit bulls are all right in my book.

That’s a good amount of dogs.

Jelly posted:

Really, every single pit bull in the world grabbed it and shook it to death? Huh.

How many dogs do you know? Looking to compare.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
An advanced breed for experienced owners. If treated this way, it is often an adorable and bubbly cuddle buddy that will also deter near 100% of all potential home invasions and robberies simply by existing. If chosen by an oblivious noob as their first build it could very well crush the skull of their child or rip the neighbor's pomeranian to shreds in a territorial dispute. Not a starter dog but OP for seasoned vets. See also: Rottweiler, the Deprived class in Souls.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’m starting to think you’re setting a bad example for these dogs.
:thunk:

What's the command for that emoji where the guy thinks about it then points in agreement?

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

Jelly posted:

The statistics don’t lie, Pitbulls are so far ahead of the rest of the pack it would be laughable if it weren’t actual human beings dying.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

what's your main account? lol

jesus christ you just went straight for the jugular.. like some untrained dogs.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Chewybiteems posted:

An advanced breed for experienced owners. If treated this way, it is often an adorable and bubbly cuddle buddy that will also deter near 100% of all potential home invasions and robberies simply by existing. If chosen by an oblivious noob as their first build it could very well crush the skull of their child or rip the neighbor's pomeranian to shreds in a territorial dispute. Not a starter dog but OP for seasoned vets. See also: Rottweiler, the Deprived class in Souls.
This is the best take in the thread and we can close up shop now.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pitbulls are responsible for like 75% of dog attack fatalities

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
How bad are Rottweilers? I used to have one. He was a giant coward and was easily bullied by tiny, tiny dogs. Never killed any other dogs or toddlers. We pre-killed all the toddlers we fed Levi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Kilbas posted:

The statistics don’t lie, Pitbulls are so far ahead of the rest of the pack it would be laughable if it weren’t actual human beings dying.

They're incredibly disproportionately bought by people who use them as guard dogs, fight dogs or status symbols.