Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
you are a worthwhile person. something you do will matter. future generations will care about you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Nooner posted:

Thread is starting to take a turn into some columbiney territory lol

i made the thread to talk about benign untruths and the capturing of seagulls not whatevers going on okay?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's not my fault not a single one of you know how to be normal! God, what did they teach you guys in school?

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's not my fault not a single one of you know how to be normal! God, what did they teach you guys in school?

Only that schools won't do poo poo unless they are legally required to, and even then sometimes they still won't do it! Good times.

The big lie for me was my boomer teachers was saying 'go to college, any college if you want to succeed!'. One degree later and I don't do poo poo with it besides being annoyed still paying for my student loans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
many schools are basically just lord of the flies

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Silhouette posted:

You know how you can tell someone grew up in an upper middle class suburb just by the way they post?

That poo poo don't work in the city, bullies travel in packs and will hunt you down after school

Is this an American thing? Because fighting back is definitely a thing where I come from. Sometimes if you wanted the bullshit to stop, you just had to throw a chair at the bullies face.

Like, bullies would have a clique, but most of the times they themselves were the only ones willing to go beyond verbal takedowns and use actual physical force. So that was the guy that you tossed a chair at, swung at with a backpack or just suckerpunched.

It's not an adults way of settling things, but kids can be brutal so I was taught to get even if it's a case of self defense. It wasn't even a question; I was not a very good runner, so what else are you going to do?

I can see escalation being more dangerous if you are past the age of 15, but by that time fights became MUCH more rare and the people that started them were often treated as weirdos you didn't really wanna be around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's not an adults way of settling things
says who

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wow let's apply this common sense bullying approach to other situations of abuse. Hahaha just deck your violent husband go on, yeah he's bigger but do it hard enough and he won't date come round again right fellas

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It’s fascinating how consistently this thread has highlighted teachers pushing hosed-up Christian and extreme-right-wing BS.

It’s almost like the Republicans are gaslighting us when they claim that public schools are left-wing indoctrination camps!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Is this an American thing? Because fighting back is definitely a thing where I come from. Sometimes if you wanted the bullshit to stop, you just had to throw a chair at the bullies face.

Like, bullies would have a clique, but most of the times they themselves were the only ones willing to go beyond verbal takedowns and use actual physical force. So that was the guy that you tossed a chair at, swung at with a backpack or just suckerpunched.

It's not an adults way of settling things, but kids can be brutal so I was taught to get even if it's a case of self defense. It wasn't even a question; I was not a very good runner, so what else are you going to do?

I can see escalation being more dangerous if you are past the age of 15, but by that time fights became MUCH more rare and the people that started them were often treated as weirdos you didn't really wanna be around.

No, upper middle class suburbs are not just an American thing.

Chicken Butt posted:

It’s fascinating how consistently this thread has highlighted teachers pushing hosed-up Christian and extreme-right-wing BS.

It’s almost like the Republicans are gaslighting us when they claim that public schools are left-wing indoctrination camps!

Those are the schools deep in their territory, they're complaining about any they haven't changed into that hellscape yet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My first day of 5th grade, we had no teacher. Like, all 25 students are just sitting in a classroom with no adult. The bell rings, classroom doors are closed, we're just sitting there. Two hours go by and no one has come around to check on us or anything. Finally a guy shows up who I know was a substitute teacher because we'd had him before. I have no idea if someone quit at the last minute or they generally just forgot to hire someone so they had to call this guy in.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I wanted to take A-level computing (UK, so age 16-18) I got told I'd have to also do physics and maths in order to get a place at university on a relevant computing course. I did neither, I got the best grade in the class, and I assume I'm the one who has had the most successful career in the field since. So gently caress you, favourite tutor who is now dead and sadly missed.

I also got told filling in my homework diary was for the greater good.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
One time, when I was in third grade, had a three day crush on a girl. I wasn't yet ground down to a barely human paste yet, so I told her I liked her.

I got in trouble with the teacher who told me that 'you can't just tell someone you like them.' After that, i hid my crushes and did the nerdy quiet longing thing for a good decade or more before I got better.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chicken Butt posted:

I wonder if that's why I'm having so much trouble thinking of bizarre teacher lies. I went to public school my whole life, so all the lies are like "Abraham Lincoln freed all the slaves" and "Christopher Columbus discovered America".

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Narzack posted:

'you can't just tell someone you like them.'

The heck? Are you supposed to do an interpretive dance instead? Build them a fancy nest display? Feats of strength? Defeat your enemies brutally in single combat? Write a cheesy love ballad?

"Hey um, I like you, do you like me?" Is childhood "romance" 101.

e: on further thought, I could be convinced by a fancy nest thing. But you better get some shiny foil in there.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 2, 2022

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

The Butcher posted:

The heck? Are you supposed to do an interpretive dance instead? Build them a fancy nest display? Feats of strength? Defeat your enemies brutally in single combat? Write a cheesy love ballad?

"Hey um, I like you, do you like me?" Is childhood "romance" 101.

e: on further thought, I could be convinced by a fancy nest thing. But you better get some shiny foil in there.

Christian school.

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

Captain Invictus posted:

many schools are basically just lord of the flies

more like lord of the lies amirite?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I don't want to be mean to workplaces, but I can't help but feel the adult equivalent to all this is how it feels most jobs have a least some element of bullshit to them. Of course I'm talking about office jobs and such, and how "poo poo you were taught in school" somewhat continues into adult life with "poo poo you have to do/justifications people give for poo poo you have to do at work"

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe the meta is hosed.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lampsacus posted:

I don't want to be mean to workplaces, but I can't help but feel the adult equivalent to all this is how it feels most jobs have a least some element of bullshit to them. Of course I'm talking about office jobs and such, and how "poo poo you were taught in school" somewhat continues into adult life with "poo poo you have to do/justifications people give for poo poo you have to do at work"

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe the meta is hosed.

life is a learning experience

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kntfkr posted:

did anyone catch a seagull? i been trying to catch a seagull my whole life and they always fly away

Old post, but what you do is dig a hole at the beach (or the dump, I guess), get in it and put a towel everything. Then, have a friend lure a seagull over with snacks onto the towel. Then capture it with the towel from below.

Source: have captured a seagull this way in junior guards

Good luck friend. May your trap holes be deep and your towels full of seagulls

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I do think that the flip side of complaining about being taught things that weren't actually useful later on can veer dangerously close to the commodification and corporatization of education that has taken place since the 60s and 70s where education is viewed as simply a path to work. The hyperfocus on STEM bullshit in recent years is also reflective of this neoliberal view of education.

A college degree used to mean, at least in theory, that someone would have a well-rounded education in general, not some super-specialized marketable skill. It's still possible to get a well-rounded education at the university level, but it seems like it takes more individual effort to choose a course load that achieves that. It is fairly easy to get a degree in one area while being astoundingly ignorant in other areas, e.g. engineers.

I hate math, was never good at it (well, compared to other subjects), but I'm still glad that I reached the level I did even if I don't actually use it much.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I do think that the flip side of complaining about being taught things that weren't actually useful later on can veer dangerously close to the commodification and corporatization of education that has taken place since the 60s and 70s where education is viewed as simply a path to work. The hyperfocus on STEM bullshit in recent years is also reflective of this neoliberal view of education.

A college degree used to mean, at least in theory, that someone would have a well-rounded education in general, not some super-specialized marketable skill. It's still possible to get a well-rounded education at the university level, but it seems like it takes more individual effort to choose a course load that achieves that. It is fairly easy to get a degree in one area while being astoundingly ignorant in other areas, e.g. engineers.

I hate math, was never good at it (well, compared to other subjects), but I'm still glad that I reached the level I did even if I don't actually use it much.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Forcing students to take classes they neither want to take nor need is a bad thing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Forcing students to take classes they neither want to take nor need is a bad thing

Do you want STEMlords? Because this is how we get STEMlords.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you want STEMlords? Because this is how we get STEMlords.

that is the opposite of how we get STEMlords

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is the opposite of how we get STEMlords

My whole argument was based around having a well-rounded education and not allowing hyper-focused specialization. Which is pretty much the opposite of STEMlord.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Play posted:

Old post, but what you do is dig a hole at the beach (or the dump, I guess), get in it and put a towel everything. Then, have a friend lure a seagull over with snacks onto the towel. Then capture it with the towel from below.

Source: have captured a seagull this way in junior guards

Good luck friend. May your trap holes be deep and your towels full of seagulls

Equipped with this knowledge and I will go back in time to the day I was sitting with five other guys in my class outside and catch that seagull.

That poor, sweet and dead kid is going to have the best seagull-releasing ceremony he ever did see.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My whole argument was based around having a well-rounded education and not allowing hyper-focused specialization. Which is pretty much the opposite of STEMlord.

fair enough

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My school gave us candy for saying communism bad :911:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It's really not a new idea but honestly you really do need to force the STEM students to at least do a little bit of philosophy and history and mix in a few other socials type things. Make them learn about ethics, politics, that other people also have feelings, women are people just like you, racism is bad, and all that poo poo just as a side dish of computer touching stuff.

Or yeah, they are going to graduate to being the STEMlord stereotypes and it's gonna be pretty ingrained in them. Hard to change.

And if for no other reason, it reduces the load on HR depts about the sexual harassment complaints down the line.

Xun posted:

My school gave us candy for saying communism bad :911:

In uni I had one unabashed Marxist prof, and he encouraged that we all took turns bringing snacks in to share with the class if we wanted to. But not forced to.

True wealth is shared, comrades.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You make the assumption that if they were exposed to it by taking those courses they would appreciate and value what's in those courses, and not view as a massive waste of their time and a frivolous pursuit.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You make the assumption that if they were exposed to it by taking those courses they would appreciate and value what's in those courses, and not view as a massive waste of their time and a frivolous pursuit.

Who says they're required to appreciate and value it? You're making the assumption that there's no value in learning things that you're not directly interested in.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
There's a really weird idea being presented that STEM in a vacuum produces racism and sexism. And not the historic lack of women and racial diversity creating an insular masturbatory white boy's club (with some often as toxic Asian folk involved).

And I say this as someone who is.... whatever the complete opposite of STEM is.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

There's a really weird idea being presented that STEM in a vacuum produces racism and sexism. And not the historic lack of women and racial diversity creating an insular masturbatory white boy's club (with some often as toxic Asian folk involved).

We see it again and again though. Big engineering firm in my last building was 90% guys. And yeah, mostly white and some Asian guys.

The few women engineers they got would come and go pretty quick, maybe about 2-4 months on average. We gotta round these guys out a bit more so it's not so hostile and creepy to women.

I don't think it's STEM itself that's the problem, that's just knowledge. I don't actually have an answer why this is, but it is true. Force the nerds to learn a tiny bit of philosophy and maybe even some women's studies and learn about racism and stuff. Even if they think it's dumb and pointless, it's an easy grade anyway and maybe some kinda sorta sticks.

It can't hurt.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 3, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grape posted:

I think the way things have evolved is that STEMlords tend to have an unearned sense of superiority, and this helps perpetuate the racist and sexist tendencies the fields have historically had. You end up with people who think they are ubermensch when really they were just good at math, and it's not a surprise it would continue to draw in and encourage racists and sexists.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

Dude was loving furious finding out she used a kid to scapegoat quitting for an unrequited love.

That's my story folks.

Nice. I quit teaching a few months ago and made sure that the kiddos knew specifically which students were responsible for my resignation, in the hopes that they would be bullied in my absence.

In reality I was tired of the systemic failure of the organization to support me in any way, and I ain't about that life.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's probably low-hanging fruit to bring up the bullshit they told us in DARE so here's a different one. In 10th grade when we were reading Elie Wiesel's Holocaust memoir Night, our teacher very boldly claimed he'd filled the book with Jesus imagery and Christ metaphors. When pressed why a Jewish man would do this, her response was he knew he was writing for a Christian audience.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I like having at least cursory knowledge of as many subjects as possible, so I can appreciate the broad education that was forced upon me.

I'm sure teenage me would've adjusted his beret and called me a conformist lapdog.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Having gone through a lot of STEM in recent years, there was definitely a decent sized women cohort, although certain depended on the field. Fields like genetics and bio at my uni had a predominantly female cohort I believe. Astro, which was department definitely had a decent number of women in it especially compared to physics in general. But where it got damning was once you got past the post doc level, suddenly it's all men running the show. I think there's only one woman in this country in astrophysics who is a full professor.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I went back to uni and I'm doing an undergrad in environmental science and there are a whole lot of ladies in my program, I'd say more than half. I've got a lot of lady professors too. Maybe its this particular degree though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every accredited STEM undergrad is liberal arts. Even the BSc. They're exposed to a well rounded education and... don't care beyond phoning in the B. Bring a horse to water and all that.

The STEM lord conundrum is that if you know exotic magical knowledge like calculus or statistics you get to name your wages and there's this awful feedback loop that the sort of leisurely young adult life you need to learn calculus and statistics correlates with a certain economic class that has a vested interest in making their wages "money, and also the ability to manage with the belief that women and black people are lesser."