Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I studied highschool in a nunnery. I'm not religious. I wish I had something clever or snarky to say here but the nuns were all actually really nice. Our religion teacher was also the philosophy teacher and, surprisingly, we were taught the importance of being kind to one another regardless of their beliefs. Even the religion classes weren't... lies, that dude really liked to analyze the Greek version of the Bible so he went on to talk about what should be taken with a grain of salt in the modern bible because it's been mistranslated. He was one of those lobbyist kind of people who use truth to distort arguments in his favor, which also meant he seldom talked about subjective things like whether or not the Bible is right, but this also made arguing against him nearly impossible. The good news is that he used philosophy to teach us how to do that.

Also he was gay and important which basically gave me free reins to bully the homophobic kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t remember much from middle school because it was traumatizing to me, but I do remember taking home economics and getting this quote from the teacher.

“A boy shouldn’t want to learn how to bake or sew.”

gently caress you, teach’. That’s exactly why I took home ec. Baking is fun, and knowing how to repair clothing is a good skill to have.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
"Never take on girls or women as students. It's just a headache, they'll always tell lies about you".

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This was in college, I quickly switched teachers after he told me this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I had a Spanish teacher who swore up and down that Portuguese was not at all related to Spanish (unlike French or Italian.) I don't know if it counts as a lie since he was just a dumbass, though.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Poop tastes great if it has undigested pieces of corn in it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nuns can get rascally talking about sex.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 23, 2022

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

The_Franz posted:

On uniforms: "You need to get used to wearing a dress shirt and tie, because you're going to have to do it every day as an adult"

:rubby:

Oh yeah that reminds me, the same middle school that invited the pro-abstinence speakers also said we could only wear plain, solid color polo shirts (but any color). When asked why they said that if we were allowed to wear what we wanted we'd just wear gang insignia and start fights on-campus. Even back when I was a sheltered bootlicker I wondered about the logic of this. If gangs wanted that badly to show their affiliation in the school wouldn't they just all buy polos of the same color?

One class ("skills for success" or something like that) enforced even stricter dress code by making us go the full dress shirt and slacks route on days we had that class. They also made us learn table etiquette and said it would become an important part of our careers and if we didn't know details as tedious as what fork to use we'd look bad in front of our prospective bosses and business partners. Not only has this never come up at a job for me at all but during the practical exam I accidentally spilled a water pitcher onto the table and I still passed so lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If you go to college, you will get a good job.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

I don’t remember much from middle school because it was traumatizing to me, but I do remember taking home economics and getting this quote from the teacher.

“A boy shouldn’t want to learn how to bake or sew.”

gently caress you, teach’. That’s exactly why I took home ec. Baking is fun, and knowing how to repair clothing is a good skill to have.

One time when I was 9, I was waiting for the bus with my mom, and my science teacher was waiting too. When I said that I couldn't wait to be independent & take the bus by myself like the older kids, my science teacher said "but sweetie, you're a girl :)" Yay gender roles!

I took the bus home by myself to make this post, so it all worked out :v:

Animal-Mother posted:

If you go to college, you will get a good job.

I don't know if I'll ever get over how much of a scam college was.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I won't get over the college lie, that's for certain. It wrecked my prospects in life, pretty much.

I can't recall the other lies, but I know I had a teacher refuse to teach me division when I moved states, even though I had never seen the jagged line symbol in my damned life up to that point. I had to literally be explained the basic concept, which she said was "the opposite of multiplication", and never did any more effort to make me understand. Funny, because I was actually quite bright in math up until that point, despite having undiscovered disabilities at the time.

It's not a fun story, but if any of you have kids, it's a decent one to tell if they ever ask about why they need to know the fundamentals of a boring task- my math abilities are still kneecapped by a poor foundation.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know if I'll ever get over how much of a scam college was.

It's honestly, like, baffling

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i have a sheet of paper declaring i was able to show up to something 3 times a week while having wild sex and consuming mind altering drugs in a fairly consequence free environment for 4 years

its a requirement to fix this printer? cool.

*foghats slow ride plays in the background for most of your early 20s*

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My country uses both British and American English. In British English the convention is to place the period outside the quote marks. In American English you put it inside.

In a bizarre compromise my teacher told us to put periods on both sides of the quote marks. Like: He said, “Yes.”.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Vegetable posted:

My country uses both British and American English. In British English the convention is to place the period outside the quote marks. In American English you put it inside.

In a bizarre compromise my teacher told us to put periods on both sides of the quote marks. Like: He said, “Yes.”.

heretic

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"if you don't have a condom, use saran wrap and a rubber band"

In junior year of highschool

So did you try it?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Zil posted:

"You need to learn how to do this calculation on paper because you won't always have a calculator with you."

Yeah.

Then in college? Fuckin' MATLAB, my dudes.

The actual valid reason to learn how to calculations by hand is to understand how and why they work. Once you've been there and done that, though, meh.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Das Boo posted:

"You have to learn to balance a checkbook."

gently caress me, by the time I was getting old enough to handle more than a single daytrip's worth of pocket money by myself, cheques were basically on their way out, here. I did have and use a chequebook for the one year I spent going to high school in the US, but have not touched one since then. And that's over 30 years ago.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

"You need to learn how to do this calculation on paper because you won't always have a calculator with you."

"And those are the moments you'll be reporting having your cellphone stolen."

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I don't think it's a lie because she really seemed to believe it, but once we had a substitute social studies teacher in the 7th grade who gave us a presentation on how her cat was abducted by aliens and returned and now the cat is acting all weird. She brought in multiple pictures of the cat and it looked like a normal cat. This was all in one day too, it wasn't like we broke her brain or something over the course of a week and she snapped. She just gave us the fill-in lecture and then spent like ten minutes at the end of the class telling us that her cat had been missing and it came back and she thought it had been abducted and experimented on.

I don't remember the evidence she gave because we were too busy dunking on her with stupid questions. I really want to know what the gently caress was going on in her head that made her think this was a good thing to tell a bunch of 13-year-olds about.

We never saw her again in the usual rotation of substitutes at my school.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The aliens got to her duh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I took organic chemistry the professor in the first class drew a Bohr atom and X'd it out and then drew some orbitals and said something like remember they told you it didn't look like this, it looked like this? Well, that was also bullshit!

It was my first real college class and I wasn't ready for the culture shock

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

My 7th grade homeroom teacher was MASSIVELY into the y2k prep thing

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I still can't believe I did this everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCaqA0ngRc

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

I studied highschool in a nunnery. I'm not religious. I wish I had something clever or snarky to say here but the nuns were all actually really nice. (snip)

Honestly same. I moved around a lot as a kid and weirdly the small town catholic school I went to was honestly the nicest place I went to, environmentally/socially. Thee town was poor and so was the school but the nuns and priest were all very cool and understanding people. I was only there for a year tho.

The most memorable lie I can remember from high school was in my final year. The main players:
- A kid called Brandon. Brandon was from Canada (I think?) and was not well liked we'll say. Always attempting the class clown thing, but without like, humour, delivery or honestly thought. Basically tried to be funny, everyone thought he was a dick.
- The physics teacher, I forget her name (it was decades ago) so Teacher it is. She was seemingly one of the most adored teachers in the school. She was extremely compassionate and friendly, was respected by staff, a role model for the girls, and I think the guys thought her being younger and attractive meant she was a good teacher too. Sure.
- Maths teacher, a dude who was also really kind and sweet and honestly way too much so, because he ended up having a breakdown because some kids struggled and he couldn't help them and that broke him.

So Brandon liked acting the mickey in Teacher's class, and she was visibly annoyed with him a lot, which meant his already lovely reputation went downhill for pissing off one of the most loved teachers. One day when he's not there Teacher announces she's leaving the school and teaching in general. Everyone is flabbergasted, and some people are genuinely upset.

A quiet girl asks, "is it because of Brandon?" to which the teacher said yes, he was so bad that he killed her want to teach any more. So naturally the kid proceeded to get bullied so badly that he left the school pretty quickly.

Here's the twist. I caught up with another teacher of mine the year after I graduated. Cool dude, had a reputation for being stupidly honest to the point of almost getting fired for not covering poo poo up. I mentioned the incident and he immediately says, "loving what? That's not why she left. She was madly in love with the maths teacher, and when he left teaching she decided she couldn't be without him. She also wasn't meant to be in love with him because he was married and not interested."

Dude was loving furious finding out she used a kid to scapegoat quitting for an unrequited love.

That's my story folks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kntfkr posted:

I moved to america from australia for a while as a kid and I just stood there in silence every day for three years while all you american dorks pledged to the flag

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Caesar Saladin posted:

I moved to america from australia for a while as a kid and I just stood there in silence every day for three years while all you american dorks pledged to the flag

Umm they sing the Australian anthem at school assembly in Australian public schools too, which is also super lame

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Idk if this counts but I had an english teacher who told us that "poo poo" wasn't a real swear word and let us use it in our writing assignments

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Umm they sing the Australian anthem at school assembly in Australian public schools too, which is also super lame

In my part of Canada, we had to sing our national anthem at every school assembly in elementary school for some baffling reason. Some parts of Canada treat it like the goddamn Pledge.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

syntaxfunction posted:

Honestly same. I moved around a lot as a kid and weirdly the small town catholic school I went to was honestly the nicest place I went to, environmentally/socially. Thee town was poor and so was the school but the nuns and priest were all very cool and understanding people. I was only there for a year tho.

The most memorable lie I can remember from high school was in my final year. The main players:
- A kid called Brandon. Brandon was from Canada (I think?) and was not well liked we'll say. Always attempting the class clown thing, but without like, humour, delivery or honestly thought. Basically tried to be funny, everyone thought he was a dick.
- The physics teacher, I forget her name (it was decades ago) so Teacher it is. She was seemingly one of the most adored teachers in the school. She was extremely compassionate and friendly, was respected by staff, a role model for the girls, and I think the guys thought her being younger and attractive meant she was a good teacher too. Sure.
- Maths teacher, a dude who was also really kind and sweet and honestly way too much so, because he ended up having a breakdown because some kids struggled and he couldn't help them and that broke him.

So Brandon liked acting the mickey in Teacher's class, and she was visibly annoyed with him a lot, which meant his already lovely reputation went downhill for pissing off one of the most loved teachers. One day when he's not there Teacher announces she's leaving the school and teaching in general. Everyone is flabbergasted, and some people are genuinely upset.

A quiet girl asks, "is it because of Brandon?" to which the teacher said yes, he was so bad that he killed her want to teach any more. So naturally the kid proceeded to get bullied so badly that he left the school pretty quickly.

Here's the twist. I caught up with another teacher of mine the year after I graduated. Cool dude, had a reputation for being stupidly honest to the point of almost getting fired for not covering poo poo up. I mentioned the incident and he immediately says, "loving what? That's not why she left. She was madly in love with the maths teacher, and when he left teaching she decided she couldn't be without him. She also wasn't meant to be in love with him because he was married and not interested."

Dude was loving furious finding out she used a kid to scapegoat quitting for an unrequited love.

That's my story folks.

That is so hosed up, like holy poo poo is that hosed up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

syntaxfunction posted:

That's my story folks.

this pitch for a Rushmore sequel is weird even by wes anderson standards

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Zil posted:

That is so hosed up, like holy poo poo is that hosed up.

I know right, Brandon is such a poo poo name

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

kntfkr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCaqA0ngRc

I remember kids gradually stopped putting their hands over their hearts in an act of quasi-rebellion, lol

Also, RIP Trevor, his delivery of the last line was perfect, as expected

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm not telling anyone to do this but connecting with old teachers on facebook and then trolling the poo poo out of them can be a fun Saturday night.

Nearly every teacher I had is a Trump/Q Boomer so its fish in a barrel but they can't send me the principal's office.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The pledge was invented by a flag salesman, no lie. :patriot:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

This thread dislodged a memory of something my first grade teacher told us. People in Japan poop in “honey buckets” which are then collected by women in the village whose job it is to mash the “honey” with their bare hands all day long until it’s the right consistency for use as fertilizer.

Now this wasn’t totally a lie. Historically, people all over the world, obviously not just in Japan had to come up with ways to dispose of poop before plumbing was invented. It involved buckets and someone had to deal with emptying the buckets, and they really were sometimes called honey buckets. The weird thing was deciding to say this about Japan in particular to a bunch of 7 year olds whose only reaction was eeeeeewww and making it sound like this was a common practice in modern Japan.

The only thing I can figure was they were trying to drill into our heads at an early age “be thankful you are American because if you were in a primitive country like Japan, your mom would probably be in the local poop bucket brigade.” This was 1980, Ronald Reagan had just been elected and I remember American adults in real life and on TV being very nervous and upset about Japan “beating us” in education and tech and auto manufacturing.

Buy American!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
"Teacher, did they have honey buckets in the American internment camps?"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
just remembered in grade 5 the teacher said sapphire were a subset of beryl that's bullshit it's corundum

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
blue beryl is aqua freakin' marine every one knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Plant MONSTER. posted:

just remembered in grade 5 the teacher said sapphire were a subset of beryl that's bullshit it's corundum

loving lying rear end teachers. they can't keep getting away with this