Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I, like many of you, hold dumb grudges about the time I was right in high school. The one that really sticks out to me is how no never ever replied to "when will I need this in the real world?" with "you may not, but the act of learning it will help you"

That's literally all they had to say. Instead they did this weird thing where they felt telling the truth was somehow giving the game away?? Cursive and long division are cool skills to learn how to learn weird hard things, and the teachers could have just said as much. I mean, they could even just say look I don't know what skills you'll need later on because things change too much, but what I can teach you is how to handle the weird difficult things you may come across as an adult. Ugh ugh ugh.

Actually I change my answer, it's the time they brought in a dude to explain in laborious detail that the Devinci Code isn't real

Because the teachers were all brainwormed penty fundementalists who couldn't think for themselves and were constantly gaslighting themselves into thinking badshit things and were afraid we would too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Do schools still teach writing? it's such a useless waste of time I'm pretty sure we literally spent 30+% of the week learning how to write perfect letters like who gives a gently caress. Especially now days with computers, and the fact doctors and chemists write like downies so obviously writing skill is worth nothing in real life
how is this post not caused a ban yet? what a piece of poo poo ablest slur to justify as "regional dialect". of course you were referring to people with Down syndrome you absolute awful human being. Jesus christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for entertaining this piece of poo poo

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I don't want to be mean to workplaces, but I can't help but feel the adult equivalent to all this is how it feels most jobs have a least some element of bullshit to them. Of course I'm talking about office jobs and such, and how "poo poo you were taught in school" somewhat continues into adult life with "poo poo you have to do/justifications people give for poo poo you have to do at work"

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe the meta is hosed.