Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

I've never known anybody who did it though, apart from marriage reasons. I suppose trans people do it all the time. Those are 'real' reasons, though. I just think my name is sort of crappy. First name is dirt common where I live, there are always about 4 or 5 guys with the same name in any group of 20. Second name is constantly mispronounced. I always think my name might as well be 'just some loving guy from around here'.

Not an obviously made up name, although I can't believe it took me until today to realise how many movie stars have fake names. I knew Nicolas Cage was made up, cos of course it is, but I didn't know Whoopi Goldberg was made up. Loads of them do it. I'd like to come up with a better name that does some work for me.

you ever known anybody who did this?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fred Eric Norris

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Cucky Pizzone

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Fred Leo Nukis

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just do it man. i've unofficially just deleted my middle name because i hate it, have thought about making it official for a little while now. you don't need a "real" reason

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fila Mi Gash

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Come on OP, you can't just make a thread like this without telling us what your name is. If it's really so common nobody will be able to dox you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Richmond Heath and Fitness

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Are you Elon muscks son/daughter? it's okay to admit it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I have a very uncommon and ethnic name and I came very close to changing it when I was in college but then I decided to spend the official name change application money on weed instead :shrug:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

do it. become Weedlord Bonerhitler

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

Come on OP, you can't just make a thread like this without telling us what your name is. If it's really so common nobody will be able to dox you.

it's common where i live but it probably won't be where you live. i thought about it and yeah went for the safe side since i don't really want opinions on how good my name is, i already decided i don't like it. i was just curious if anybody around here did it because they felt like making a better name.

it'd be pretty easy for me to do right now too because i don't know that many people so i wouldn't have to constantly explain it. i'd just introduce myself with a different name. and then run into people i used to know and have them think i am evading the law.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

roomtone posted:

it's common where i live but it probably won't be where you live. i thought about it and yeah went for the safe side since i don't really want opinions on how good my name is, i already decided i don't like it. i was just curious if anybody around here did it because they felt like making a better name.

it'd be pretty easy for me to do right now too because i don't know that many people so i wouldn't have to constantly explain it. i'd just introduce myself with a different name. and then run into people i used to know and have them think i am evading the law.

it's super easy to explain: "i didn't like it so i changed it"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah just use a different name in different circles, my work colleagues call me Colonel Cancer but my friends know me as Big Dick McGee

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's super easy to explain: "i didn't like it so i changed it"

or you make up a different bullshit story every time about being in witness protection or on the run from Johnny law or how this was the name of a great dead uncle who invited cheese bread.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Both my kids changed their names. Dunno how it went 'cause they stopped taking my calls.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Name yourself Donald Trump and just start showing up to rallies. See how much free stuff you can get.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Lord Frankenstyle posted:

Both my kids changed their names. Dunno how it went 'cause they stopped taking my calls.

You dodged a bullet there! living your best life

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'd change my last name too but I'm pretty sure my parents would disown me and not leave any of their stuff lmao

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'd change my last name too but I'm pretty sure my parents would disown me and not leave any of their stuff lmao

Change it to a rich person's name and get better stuff.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

yeah i'd get resistance/called stupid from my family. i probably wouldn't even ask them to because them doing it isn't that important to me. but they'd hear about it eventually.

i think i'll give it a go the next time i'm meeting new people and see how it feels.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Greetings, my fellow adventurers. I am Thaddeus Manlybone the 3rd, a grand warlock

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Goony Posterson

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862143

Any of these would probably be just fine, OP.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So my parents called me by my middle name since birth I guess because they hate me. My dad turned out to be something of a jerk (my first name is his) and I’ve been legitimately thinking about dropping my first name entirely and just not having a middle name at all. I even get free minor legal services through work so it wouldn’t cost much if anything - but the idea of having to change my ID, all my financials, car titles and god knows what else just seems like it would be a horrible pain in the rear end and more trouble than it’s worth.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

worm girl posted:

Name yourself Donald Trump and just start showing up to rallies. See how much free stuff you can get.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy Jr. is the superior choice in this situation.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My birth name was so bad that my parents gave me THREE middle names. Three. My full birth name sounds like a terribly written character in a pretentious sophomore level novel written by an upper class guy cosplaying as a poor.

Now I have exactly one middle name, and it's Ann.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Su Su Sudio

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

My birth name was so bad that my parents gave me THREE middle names. Three. My full birth name sounds like a terribly written character in a pretentious sophomore level novel written by an upper class guy cosplaying as a poor.

Now I have exactly one middle name, and it's Ann.

hmmm. 3/5 middle name imo. mid name more like. consider the middle name delete

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I know a fabulous trans lady. The judge just asked her if she was evading warrants or anything sinister, then approved her request. I also know a guy who's kid got rid of his first and middle names. Like "Prince" but it's just this dude's odd last name. The kid is sorta weird in an rear end in a top hat way though so don't do that.

I think you should name yourself after my childhood dog Snootch.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

hmmm. 3/5 middle name imo. mid name more like. consider the middle name delete

Look, from where I was with the three names I wanted something plain and uninteresting. First and middle is Natalie Ann. I think it sounds nicer.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

roomtone posted:

yeah i'd get resistance/called stupid from my family. i probably wouldn't even ask them to because them doing it isn't that important to me. but they'd hear about it eventually.

If you're not having any kids, what the gently caress does your family care? Whatever bloodline you have, you ain't carrying on. So gently caress it, live as Jimbo Lobster if that pleases you.

Life is too short to be scared to ask people to call you the name you wish to be called.

roomtone posted:

i think i'll give it a go the next time i'm meeting new people and see how it feels.

You can also go to Starbucks or any food place they ask your name when ordering to try out new names in a safe and non-judgmental manner, to see if it feels right when called.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
OP's real name is "Buttface"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

rear end-Visage is a much more elegant name, they are right to consider changing it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Look, from where I was with the three names I wanted something plain and uninteresting. First and middle is Natalie Ann. I think it sounds nicer.

oh okay combo name, interesting. the pseudo middle name

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

It has been many many decades now and I still have not forgiven and never will forgive my mom for giving me a girls name >:|

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

nuketulsa posted:

It has been many many decades now and I still have not forgiven and never will forgive my mom for giving me a girls name >:|

you can change it at any time

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

you can change it at any time

sounds like a hassle

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah you can be called whatever you want. There aren't rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

nuketulsa posted:

Life is hard for a boy named Sue