Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Al Grandpa Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm177IZEok0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've known several people who prefer to go by their middle names. If you are worried about your family seeing the change, then can you add a middle name of your choosing and ask everyone you deal with on a daily basis to call you by that?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

If someone found out your real name you have to hurry before they cast a spell on you since they can look you up in the Akashic phonebook

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Richard Kyanka

I hear that one was just freed up recently

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah you can be called whatever you want. There aren't rules.

Actually there are, and I will call and write strongly-worded letters to inform those in charge of when they are broken.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
go with Wampus Biscuit

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Are you Elon muscks son/daughter? it's okay to kill your famil

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

nuketulsa posted:

It has been many many decades now and I still have not forgiven and never will forgive my mom for giving me a girls name >:|

Let me guess. Dana?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

My middle name is in honor of a famous American racist, chosen by my immigrant family. Definitely have thought about changing it!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I’m thinking “stone Phillips”.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Lord Frankenstyle posted:

Richmond Heath and Fitness

Yeah but the surname “And the emphasis is on group training” seems like a lot for a loan application

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

change your nme to Warren Peace or Lionel Bitchie or Harry Weiner or Seymour Butts or Ivana Ita Weiner or Amanda Huggenkiss or Max E. Padd or Jim Nasium or something cool like that

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think a fun prank would be to change your name to Jeffery Epstein. I bet you could really get people going until they noticed the spelling, and then you'd all have a good laugh.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

nuketulsa posted:

It has been many many decades now and I still have not forgiven and never will forgive my mom for giving me a girls name >:|

Whattup Kim

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Frank-N-Stein/Brentwood-TN/Pl8ajAQK5k9

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Gonna call myself Mr. Strong Man and then people will have to call me that at the bank.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Thread reminded me of this old classic

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I have considered changing my name just because the whole situation is a confusing mess

since before I was born I have been tip, I've never gone by my first or middle name anywhere at any time

it's some weird thing my parents did where they gave me and my sisters legal names and then a separate "real" name that was all we ever went by

now about half the time I introduce myself the other person will ask if tip is really my name, for some reason they never just accept a yes and instead we have to go down this loving semantic rabbit hole of what makes a name real

changing my legal name wouldn't actually stop those people but at least I could cut them off immediately with "YES it's my REAL LEGAL NAME and it's ON MY DRIVER'S LICENSE"

probably not worth the effort

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Frodo Ravenstorm, master urologist

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Richard Kyanka

I hear that one was just freed up recently

I just realized if you shorten Richard to Dick, his name is was Dick Yanka.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a royal pain in the rear end from a legal and bureaucratic standpoint. Your banks will make it hard for you and so will the credit agencies, as far as I know.

Preferred names are such a normal thing these days — just pick a nickname or whatever and tell people to call you that. More progressive employers are also cool about giving you email addresses, badges and name cards with the name you want.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
It's not that bad OP. You might have to go for an initial trip to some kind of social servixes building and then return a few weeks later. Then they might seat you in a kind of classroom looking space (court room?) Where you talk to a man (judge??)

It depends on your state, though, whether your new birth certificate is just a clean slate, or if it states that you changed it (although not what you changed it from, just that it was changed) aka "amended"

At least that's how it might work for you in the States. Hell if you're a cute girl or maybe they pity you for being a tran, they might even give you like 10 extra copies of your name change thing,, even tho they are supposed to charge extra.

Guess what I'm trying to say OP is that it's not that bad a process sonetimes. And, you might like your name because you named yourself after your cat and your middle name is now short and cool and your initials look sick in the high scores at the barcade. Moreover, Lars Fuckbottom "Steamy" Dogcooter does not have to be your name forever, OP

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Dwight Schrute

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I knew a girl whose parents gave her an uncommon English name which they horribly mispronounced because they were recent Taiwanese immigrants and she hated it and once she became an adult she changed it to a normal name.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've know a couple. Jamie -> Jim and a Pat -> Ryan.

Partial to Ibin Yurkinoff

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
keep in mind you have to change every single thing manually. birth certificate, license, bank account, ssn, passport, employer info, bank, insurance, college degrees. and they all have to be done in a specific order. get the court order so you can get the birth certificate so you can get the license so you can update employer info so you can update insurance info

it‘a like a zelda side quest chain but no sword upgrade at the end :/

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

It is a massive headache, especially if you've got a lot of history behind a name, but if you want to do it, do it. You don't need a reason, and I've heard tons. My dad changed his when he turned 18 because he hated being a junior, I changed mine because I'm trans, and a good friend is keeping his first name but changing his surname because it reminds him of his abusive alcoholic dad.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have a million trans and NB friends who did it, and are quite happy with it.

My partner changed his middle name from [Finnish name] to [black metal stage name]. Always cracks me up to see “First name Frostgrim Lastname” on official government documents.

My dad changed his name twice I *think*, once when he immigrated, then sometime in the 90s. He is known mononymously, however he does not have the fame associated with such a move - sort of. Surprisingly this causes a ton of loving headaches with official papers for him (and me, christ)! But in a weird way, his mononymity is entirely fitting for his personality.

If I marry I might hyphen mine, if it’s to my current partner, as he has two sick ö’s in his last name and hell yeah I want that. My name is already loving confusing to most, chaos loving reigns!!!!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know someone who changed their name to Fury and it was an extremely fitting change. They were also extremely happy with it, so :toot:!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If you meet the person of your dreams you'll one day get to have the conversation that you changed your name but its fine it wasnt for shady reasons or anything

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bort

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

If you meet the person of your dreams you'll one day get to have the conversation that you changed your name but its fine it wasnt for shady reasons or anything

'No, it wasn't for shady reasons. I just felt like a change! Oh, unrelated. Don't go into the cellar, never go digging in the garden, and I will vanish every month for 3 days while the full moon is in the sky.'

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TIP posted:

I have considered changing my name just because the whole situation is a confusing mess

since before I was born I have been tip, I've never gone by my first or middle name anywhere at any time

it's some weird thing my parents did where they gave me and my sisters legal names and then a separate "real" name that was all we ever went by

now about half the time I introduce myself the other person will ask if tip is really my name, for some reason they never just accept a yes and instead we have to go down this loving semantic rabbit hole of what makes a name real

changing my legal name wouldn't actually stop those people but at least I could cut them off immediately with "YES it's my REAL LEGAL NAME and it's ON MY DRIVER'S LICENSE"

probably not worth the effort

Most people would call this a pet name or nickname. Just say it's a nickname you've had since a kid and no one calls you your real name simple!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Just add junior to the end of your name. Do things right this time. Don't make the same mistakes your old man did.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pixaal posted:

Most people would call this a pet name or nickname. Just say it's a nickname you've had since a kid and no one calls you your real name simple!

oh hey it's one of you that can't just accept it's my name

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why did pseudonyms prosper because of the internet? I can't say your name sucks, now?

I just went into a Tucker Carlson mode. I don't like it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TIP posted:

oh hey it's one of you that can't just accept it's my name

I am just making it easier for you to explain

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

roomtone posted:

I knew Nicolas Cage was made up, cos of course it is

Wait what? Do you think it's implausible someone would be called Nicolas? Or do you think it's implausible someone would have the surname Cage?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Handen posted:

I just realized if you shorten Richard to Dick, his name is was Dick Yanka.

Wait until you hear this: BUTTcoin haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I'm currently in the process of changing my name.

Wanted the same surname with my husband, but neithers' og surname seemed good. So we made up a new one, and now are waiting for the official naming committee to either approve or disapprove. So we'll see, in a few months.

I'm also dropping my first name at the same time, since I will need to update all my official documents anyway. I've always been called by my middle name, and my first name has the ignoble letter Ä in it, which is unpleasant to deal with when traveling.