Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Doll House Ghost posted:

I'm currently in the process of changing my name.

Wanted the same surname with my husband, but neithers' og surname seemed good. So we made up a new one, and now are waiting for the official naming committee to either approve or disapprove. So we'll see, in a few months.

I'm also dropping my first name at the same time, since I will need to update all my official documents anyway. I've always been called by my middle name, and my first name has the ignoble letter Ä in it, which is unpleasant to deal with when traveling.

My boyfriend and I are planning to do similar. Our mutual best friend's surname consists of the first two letters of mine and the last two letters of his so we figure we'll blend them and just join her family instead. Also it's a pretty cool name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Here the law is that basically every last name with living users is protected. You can't change your last name to already existing one unless 1.) you can prove someone in your family up to 5th generation backwards had that name as well OR 2.) it's your partners last name or appears in their family. So it's easier to come up with a new one! (Even though that is also regulated pretty strictly.)

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Doll House Ghost posted:

Here the law is that basically every last name with living users is protected. You can't change your last name to already existing one unless 1.) you can prove someone in your family up to 5th generation backwards had that name as well OR 2.) it's your partners last name or appears in their family. So it's easier to come up with a new one! (Even though that is also regulated pretty strictly.)

Let it be known that the Cumking family began on this auspicious day.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Honestly, I've been hanging with enough trans people who change their names as if it's no big, I forgot how weird cis people are about this poo poo. Like wow you guys really are locked in by this stuff and uncomfortable with change, identity-wise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zeluth posted:

Fred Eric Norris

Hey now.

I support this, but you'd have to add "Reverend" to the beginning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

roomtone posted:

I've never known anybody who did it though, apart from marriage reasons. I suppose trans people do it all the time. Those are 'real' reasons, though. I just think my name is sort of crappy. First name is dirt common where I live, there are always about 4 or 5 guys with the same name in any group of 20. Second name is constantly mispronounced. I always think my name might as well be 'just some loving guy from around here'.

Not an obviously made up name, although I can't believe it took me until today to realise how many movie stars have fake names. I knew Nicolas Cage was made up, cos of course it is, but I didn't know Whoopi Goldberg was made up. Loads of them do it. I'd like to come up with a better name that does some work for me.

you ever known anybody who did this?

Wait wait wait....

You didn't know that "WHOOPI" wasn't her real first name?

But, like.... Nicholas Cage, that one is TOTALLY fake?

:whoptc:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Honestly, I've been hanging with enough trans people who change their names as if it's no big, I forgot how weird cis people are about this poo poo. Like wow you guys really are locked in by this stuff and uncomfortable with change, identity-wise.

Weird loving take. It is a big deal to change your name, even (and I would say especially) for trans people.

It's not weird for cis people to want to avoid that hassle. Have you ever changed your name? (You haven't, I can tell from your post)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nerds know about Nicolas Cage because of the comic book connection not because they sniffed out a changed name on their own

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Yeah I'm totally owned by liking how I was born.

E: when I change my name I'm referring to that list of japanese video game baseball players, today I'm Bobson Dugnutt, next week I might be Mike Truk.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Someone in this thread has already suggested that changing your name will make people think you've done something devious or bad in your past but aight. The concerns expressed have largely been over the familial and social reaction, not the legal issues that come with changing a name, which absolutely exist and can get complex depending on your situation, especially if you have kids.

The solution to the social worries being expressed is more people changing their names more normally. But ok if you guys wanna have a thread to talk about how much you don't want to change names, have at I guess.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I've considered changing my last name back to what it used to be before they shortened it to sound less "immigranty" five or six generations ago. But I have no progeny so meh.

It used to have a Von in the front even. Like god drat. That's so much better.

Twigand VonBerries

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 23, 2022

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Someone in this thread has already suggested that changing your name will make people think you've done something devious or bad in your past but aight. The concerns expressed have been over their family reaction, not the legal issues that come with changing a name, which absolutely exist and can get complex depending on your situation, especially if you have kids.

The solution to the social worries being expressed is more people changing their names more normally. But ok if you guys wanna have a thread to talk about how much you don't want to change names, have at I guess.

Yes, it's everyone else's fault for misunderstanding your poorly worded post.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Sorry for interrupting, sit around and marinate more about how weird people will think folks are for changing their names. Go back to having a totally normal one in here.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Someone in this thread has already suggested that changing your name will make people think you've done something devious or bad in your past but aight.

That was a joke.

Sincerely,

Waldo R. Notamolestre

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Sorry for interrupting, sit around and marinate more about how weird people will think folks are for changing their names. Go back to having a totally normal one in here.

My brother is trans and I saw the hardship he went through changing his name so yeah I'm gonna be a little pissed off when someone comes in with the expert equivalent of "having black friends" to explain how actually changing your name is no big deal and omg cis people are so dumb.

For posterity:

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 23, 2022

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I just think it would be funny on like a 7th or 8th date to have to be like "Yeah in 2015 I changed my name to Brancho Starblaze because there were way too many 'Matt R's" in my hometown"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OP please change your name to Brancho Starblaze and tell us how you go

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

My new first name? Barbeque. Cool ranch is just too common.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Barbie Cue

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

durrrrr

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

As a trans I think everyone should change their name whenever they want. It's fun and it makes you think hard about the dumb cope that is personal identity. Something some queer people I know now do is just adding new names every time they find one they like. Like some kind of gnome or something.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Change it to Champ. It will be great for your self esteem and nobody will mess with you.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wooten posted:

As a trans I think everyone should change their name whenever they want. It's fun and it makes you think hard about the dumb cope that is personal identity. Something some queer people I know now do is just adding new names every time they find one they like. Like some kind of gnome or something.

I guess calling personal identity a "dumb cope" while expressing unique ways in which people you know express personal identity does make me think hard.

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

That was a joke.

Sincerely,

Waldo R. Notamolestre

"Hmm, my last name "notamolestre" sure does raise a lot of questions that are already answered by my last name..."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Change your name to Hannibal or maybe just Rex.

I know karate. Voodoo too.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Elton Johnson

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Change it to Steve the Samurai

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
OP if you join the French Foreign Legion you get a new name, new identity, and French citizenship. It's everything you want and more!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is as "friend of a friend of a friend" as hell, but whatever; guy I used to work with got talking about name changing with me once, and told me about how his roommate's brother went down to the courthouse, just to change his first name. Was told it was $100 and a bunch of paperwork, regardless of what name you wanted or how many names you'd like to have. So instead of changing his name to something like Jeff or Doug, he chose a new first name, and 25 middle names. Apparently his driver's license just has letters standing in for each name, with periods in between them all.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Francis Ford Chocula

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is as "friend of a friend of a friend" as hell, but whatever; guy I used to work with got talking about name changing with me once, and told me about how his roommate's brother went down to the courthouse, just to change his first name. Was told it was $100 and a bunch of paperwork, regardless of what name you wanted or how many names you'd like to have. So instead of changing his name to something like Jeff or Doug, he chose a new first name, and 25 middle names. Apparently his driver's license just has letters standing in for each name, with periods in between them all.

But his last name is still Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hugh G. Pigballs

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

TIP posted:

I have considered changing my name just because the whole situation is a confusing mess

since before I was born I have been tip, I've never gone by my first or middle name anywhere at any time

it's some weird thing my parents did where they gave me and my sisters legal names and then a separate "real" name that was all we ever went by

now about half the time I introduce myself the other person will ask if tip is really my name, for some reason they never just accept a yes and instead we have to go down this loving semantic rabbit hole of what makes a name real

changing my legal name wouldn't actually stop those people but at least I could cut them off immediately with "YES it's my REAL LEGAL NAME and it's ON MY DRIVER'S LICENSE"

probably not worth the effort

can I ask you if your birth certificate first name is at all Tip-related or completely different? like could Tip be construed as a nickname or shortening?

reason being i hope i haven't unwittingly subjected my baby kid to what you're complaining of.

basically there's a more unique, very short name we liked for her, but ended up officially doing a longer, unrelated (in origin) name but that still starts with the shorter, more offbeat one. so though we call her the short one i guess it could be construed as a shortening/nickname rather than a complete name, even though it was intended to be its own thing.

it was a compromise to give her the chance when older to use the full name if she felt the short one was too weird. but i wonder if your frustrations won't hit her the same way if she sticks with the front half of her official name.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you've given your progeny a "unique and special" name you're probably a bad parent and should feel bad. Let them pick something like Frankenstein Nevermore when they're in their goth phase so they have nobody to blame but themselves, be a responsible parent and name them something normal like Hunter.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Esquire

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

can I ask you if your birth certificate first name is at all Tip-related or completely different? like could Tip be construed as a nickname or shortening?

my first name is completely unrelated, just a family name

there is a thematic link with my middle name but no one has ever picked up on it

I wouldn't be too worried, I think unusual names have become a bit more common and the upcoming generation will probably be more understanding and less obnoxious about it

despite some issues that I have with it I still like having my unusual name, and I had two whole other names to choose from if I wanted something different

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have a very unusual name and it’s like 99 percent boomers who are loving weird about it.

The key thing about having a weird name is that it’s other people who make it weird. Honestly, having to contend with it has made me a lot open to being an overall oddball IRL. I’m not afraid to stick out, though others will try to tear you down because they can’t handle their own brokebrains.

E: there is one thing I’d heavily advise instilling. Sometimes I’ll get “oh [name] is too hard to say, can I call you x?”. Unless there is a physical reason as to why someone can’t say your name correctly (and I’ve yet to come across one), don’t let anyone weasel out of learning a name. It might take practice, there might be mistakes and that’s fine, but learning someone’s name is the most basic form of human respect. Everyone is deserving of being called by their name.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 24, 2022

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Change your name to EricDylan HarrisKlebold

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Unless you want your kid's life to be in hard mode, pick a name that will blend in a little bit and make sure it's spelled right.

People can say it'll be fine all they want, but it's because they never knew what it was like to stand out because of their actions and self first, not because their name is so unique it's hard not to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Muthafuckin Exsquire