Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This immediate layoff was the last straw my friends

I wish I could succeed at normal office jobs, but unfortunately my neurodivergent mind can't go 1-2 years without losing motivation on boring work. That automatically and unfairly lowers my performance measurements, which inevitably leads to quitting or a layoff. It's not a realistic longterm option for me and I can't keep living in a fantasy land of stable raises and promotions

Blue collar jobs? Even worse, I sucked at all the labor and was uncomfortable doing them for so long at such little pay. Not a great fit

I'm only super productive when making creative and interesting speculative pieces, fueled by transitory moods and emotions, stretched over months and months of free time inbetween office jobs

I wish there was an easier option but here we are

Now, does any fellow creative goon have advice on living as an Artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's serious money to be made at the bus stop

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Icochet posted:

I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

Performance art is so satisfying to study, you probably know master level grip-it-and-rip-it techniques

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

Performance art is so satisfying to study, you probably know master level grip-it-and-rip-it techniques

I'm doing alright. I don't have formal credentials but the patrons actually appreciate the amateurish touch. They've seen what classically educated gapers can do and want to see wild raw buttcraft

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

In a few months I'm going to quit my job and move in my folks who are moving to the middle of no where. I've spent 6 years of my life working in the mail/imaging department of the biggest insurance company in Canada. At their head office in a city that at one point a year or so ago had the highest housing/rental cost increase in the world. I started at 30k I make 33k now. I've had poo poo tons of interviews for higher paying better jobs in different departments and everytime I get told I interviewed well they just went with someone with more experience. I've learned 5-6 different roles within my department while I've been here. I'm sick of this poo poo.

So I'm thinking about the bus stop gig yeah.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Icochet posted:

I'm doing alright. I don't have formal credentials but the patrons actually appreciate the amateurish touch. They've seen what classically educated gapers can do and want to see wild raw buttcraft

You're an outsider artist looking in and they respect the authenticity of your butthole

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ah, a fellow creative

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It sounds like I'm as good of an artist as you are an employee OP. So I'm forced to keep working... :(

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i produce art house amateur video of degenerates willing to show their entire colon at public transport stops

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My art consists of building fake bus stops to trick buses into stopping and instead of real passengers going in, a cadre of nude people walk in through the front door then out the back, all while gaping their asses.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It sounds like I'm as good of an artist as you are an employee OP. So I'm forced to keep working... :(

Yeah, same. :(

Except for that being productive part. I suck at that no matter what.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think you will find that my normal dead end 9-5 job is just elaborate performance art op.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i produce art house amateur video of degenerates willing to show their entire colon at public transport stops

Personal use only rear end in a top hat

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

My art consists of building fake bus stops to trick buses into stopping and instead of real passengers going in, a cadre of nude people walk in through the front door then out the back, all while gaping their asses.

It's impressive work, but you lifted the idea from obscure Japanese videos

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
yeah i feel you op. the only reason i keep working is because i need money to take care of my family, but also to fund my transitory moods and emotions which manifest themselves as a new hobby every few months. if money were out of the question i'd spend every day creating new things too instead of what i do now (which i guess is also creating new things since i design robots but it's not the same)

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
yes, a sandwich artist

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ive been trying to be an artist but i havent sold anything so i just create a lot, i have so much artwork that no one not even i want sitting around my house help me please

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tie your art to the dogs when you walk them, for exposure

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

ive been trying to be an artist but i havent sold anything so i just create a lot, i have so much artwork that no one not even i want sitting around my house help me please

Can I have one?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Sid Vicious posted:

create a implausibly large kite out of them and use the kite to blot out the sun for the entire city ogf guelph (again, for exposure)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah pretty much OP. In my 1.5 years of unemployment I went from this

to this

and stuff like this:

It's tough to "make it" as a visual artist, especially if you are a new artist, because nearly any professional art opportunity is going to expect to see both a history of your work developing and to see that you plan to stick with it for a long time, like a gallery show will never take a new artist's work unless they envision a future of work that will be valuable and will therefore make this current work more valuable. Probably 90% of all the money I have made on art has either been from the SA Mart thread I posted, or from offering to draw things for free for people on the forums and then they offer to pay. It really depends on what you draw though. Probably the easiest art skill to make money on is just drawing like, just patterns, and silhouettes of simple objects like flowers, for whatever reason that stuff is very easy to market and print on stickers or coffee mugs or whatever. If you do character or portrait art you'll need to find people to do commissions and if you do landscapes good luck unless you can get a job as an environmental concept artist or something. If you do abstract stuff it's really only going to happen if you manage to go viral.

That being said I am a cishet white man which (understandably) excludes me from lots of shows and grants in the art space, and the things I am eligible for there is a much larger pool of competition for. If you are not, then there are a lot of opportunities with less competition you would be eligible for.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 24, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mooey Cow posted:

Everyone else just calls this a selfie. No need to add fancy artist language.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only way I can make it as a woman in the art world is if I paint with my menstrual blood and to be honest, my periods ain't that regular.

Maybe I can paint with other womens' menstrual blood???

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Only if you finger paint.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
actually it's crazy that you mention 1-2 years op because i have the same poo poo happen to me. i just lose interest on the work in that time frame and then i'm like "ugh, i wish i could just work on the things i like which is *current ongoing hobby/project*". i've been at my current job for closing in on 2 years and it's been ~ 6 months that i've been strongly considering looking for a new job but tbh the same poo poo is probably going to happen

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Only if you finger paint.

:hmmyes:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Das Boo posted:

The only way I can make it as a woman in the art world is if I paint with my menstrual blood and to be honest, my periods ain't that regular.

Maybe I can paint with other womens' menstrual blood???

Just lie and use regular blood. How are the perverts gonna know?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My job is dropping viral messages using alt accounts into various "counter culture" forums across the Web. It might be something as simple as:

"I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop"

Just as an example. We sort of see what resonates and jumps platforms and aggregate the messages that do and then sell that to marketers as a sort of package of trending phrases.

These reports inevitably inform media groups and podcasts and other Web based and traditional media and it creates a cool feedback loop that gives me little satisfaction but quite a bit of money.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

McGavin posted:

Just lie and use regular blood. How are the perverts gonna know?

They're the top experts in the world on that

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hey, OP, I’m gonna give you a couple of terms to make it seem like you’re an established artist: chiaroscuro and contrapposto. All you have to do is insert either of these two art terms into any conversation and you’re in!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Hey, OP, I’m gonna give you a couple of terms to make it seem like you’re an established artist: chiaroscuro and contrapposto. All you have to do is insert either of these two art terms into any conversation and you’re in!

And don't forget pentimento, especially if each canvas you start with is just goatse

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Bramble posted:

And don't forget pentimento, especially if each canvas you start with is just goatse

Tubgirl, but you paint it into a magnificent fountain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Enchiladas filled with chiaroscuro are an excellent choice for the contrapposto course.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stippling is a thing.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Analytic Engine posted:

Now, does any fellow creative goon have advice on living as an Artist?

Figure out a way to monetize it you idiot. It's not that hard if you make "being really good at something people think is cool" your number one priority.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Handen posted:

Figure out a way to monetize it you idiot. It's not that hard if you make "being really good at something people think is cool" your number one priority.

yup. agreed. being an artist is actually well known for being not that hard to monetize

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Bravo. Everyone always talks about the Goatse guy, but nobody asks about the person taking the pictures.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Bravo. Everyone always talks about the Goatse guy, but nobody asks about the person taking the pictures.

My parents were excellent framers, photograph developers, collection archivists, and art exhibit planners. Creating original pieces was a fun challenge for their college art degrees, but meta-art work is how you pay the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP do you have experience in some field of "art" (professional or otherwise) to lean into, or are you just speculating about cold turkey transitioning to art with no background?