Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

My parents were excellent framers, photograph developers, collection archivists, and art exhibit planners. Creating original pieces was a fun challenge for their college art degrees, but meta-art work is how you pay the bills

It cost more to get framed than it did for the actual print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I don't know what your area of expertise is, but I do know some folks who get a lot of their income from artistic endeavors as long as you're not picky and/or are willing to deal with the occasional pyschopath

For physical mediums, I've got a friend who does D&D characters, digital map work for Roll20, and furry art comissions, and apparently it pays pretty well. I also know an amateur photgrapher who does photoshoots for cosplayers and other con poo poo on top of the usual weddings and graduations.

Music is a little tougher, but I've got friends who do music for indie games and work as techs for live shows, and I know a guy with audio engineering experience that helps people mix their albums and creates themes for YouTube channels.

Failing that, there's always gaping your rear end in a top hat at the bus stop, I heard that's hot right now

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"I tire of gaping," musing to no one in particular I continue with my presentation on 4th quarter sales metrics.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

You Are A Elf posted:

Hey, OP, I’m gonna give you a couple of terms to make it seem like you’re an established artist: chiaroscuro and contrapposto. All you have to do is insert either of these two art terms into any conversation and you’re in!

Thanks! Adding this phrase to my Artist's Mental Toolbox:

"I can't decide if it's more chiaroscuro-contrapposto or contrapposto-chiaroscuro"

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You can paste anything you want onto a canvas and call it mixed media. I make textures and paint wash over them to fill in the nooks and crannies, just abstract forms and colors.

I want to do CG art and animation, but I have to work a "real" job to pay my bills. The most I've made on a single painting is like $45.

Like the saying goes: "Everyone's an artist until rent is due."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am a composer/musician and i barely make a living at it. before i did this for a job i worked various office jobs, starting as a telemarketer when i was 16 and ending up running the digital marketing efforts of a small crappy publishing house when i was in my late 30's. there is no stability on either side of it really. during my time working corporate jobs i saw many, many waves of layoffs. i knew a lot of people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, entirely because of the various maneuverings of higher ups. i usually managed to avoid them due to a combination of knowing how to manage upwards and sheer luck. eventually i ended up at a lovely little publishing imprint owned by disney, already dying by the time i was hired, which they were getting ready for the chopping block. after a couple years they sold the imprint's titles to another major house, along with two employees (out of 50). i was not one of the chosen two. i could have worked there for a few months until the deal formally went through but i said fuckit and started focusing on music and sound design. i did a bunch of random gigs and then was lucky to get involved in a project that briefly took off and then kind of settled down into a subcultural groove.

i make a lot less money than i used to and am almost living paycheck to paycheck, but now i work for and with people who i trust a lot more. but its a more emotionally chaotic life. the highs are higher, the lows are so much lower, and so many more decisions you have to make (or that get made for you) are deeply emotional. my advice is that it becomes even more important to find a way to relax and take some sort of break. especially if you are doing creative work that means a lot to you, and your living comes from that... you are probably going to need to find some kind of other creative work that soothes your brain and doesn't make you any money, just for mental health.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Leave the bus stop and perform ON the bus. Captive audience right there. They practically have to pay you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*leaps onto a subway train as the doors close, pulls emergency stop between stations and immediately start gaping own rear end*

True art

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Colonel Cancer posted:

*leaps onto a subway train as the doors close, pulls emergency stop between stations and immediately start gaping own rear end*

True art

The best part is you don’t even need to bring a separate bag to catch the money.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Framing is a loving scam.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0ITXBWpHE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Colonel Cancer posted:

True art

It's not true art unless it's upsetting somebody. Ergo this is truest art.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

McGavin posted:

Just lie and use regular blood. How are the perverts gonna know?
Oh, we'll know.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are you funny, op? You could become a very minor d level poo poo poster celebrity on social media and try shilling your art there.

e: btw, check out my profile for a link to my merch shop. Get all my best posts on a mug or on a t-shirt at a very affordable price

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Draw furries.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm a capital A Artist just like you and yeah I'm forced to be one but only by an innate drive

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

Draw furries.

No you can't just draw furries.

You have to draw big tiddy furries

Get it right, scum.

In all seriousness, doing art for a living is hell because other people are hell. If you're independent, you are essentially running all the time, canvassing for clients, streaming, chasing trends. Not to mention dealing with the clients, who are usually nice, but can be frustrating. And you're not getting paid for any of it. You literally cannot charge for all hours worked. Even if I'm sitting talking to a client for 3 straight, trying to get what he needs, I'm only going to get paid for the end product.

And don't talk to me about studio work. We use the term 'stress casualty' here, all clean and clinical, but the Japanese have a better term for it- karoshi. "Work death". More than one of us has been found at their desk, dead.

You burn out or you die.

I like doing it, I like my clients,I like working really hard, it makes me feel good.

But capitalism ruins everything.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Op, have you tried "working from home"? Jack yourself off. Be your own boss.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Op, have you tried "working from home"? Jack yourself off. Be your own boss.

I have a monitor ordered (supply chain issues) that I heard I should "turn on"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DicktheCat posted:

And don't talk to me about studio work. We use the term 'stress casualty' here, all clean and clinical, but the Japanese have a better term for it- karoshi. "Work death". More than one of us has been found at their desk, dead.

You burn out or you die.

I like doing it, I like my clients,I like working really hard, it makes me feel good.

But capitalism ruins everything.

I'd been doing 70 hours on my contract job along with a colorist job on the side. Last day of my contract, my mind was wandering while I did my hair and I noticed something weird: My face was blurred out in the mirror. Just my face. I suddenly dropped to the floor with a tachycardiac attack. Pulse was 200 by the time I was able to take it.

I love being an artist, obviously, because I wouldn't risk my life for it otherwise. But yeah. Studios.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Here's some of the procedural poo poo I've been doing in Blender:

https://i.imgur.com/pc2zH0m.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CjVne0o.mp4

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 25, 2022

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Das Boo posted:

I'd been doing 70 hours on my contract job along with a colorist job on the side. Last day of my contract, my mind was wandering while I did my hair and I noticed something weird: My face was blurred out in the mirror. Just my face. I suddenly dropped to the floor with a tachycardiac attack. Pulse was 200 by the time I was able to take it.

I love being an artist, obviously, because I wouldn't risk my life for it otherwise. But yeah. Studios.

holy poo poo db stay safe

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Here's some of the procedural poo poo I've been doing in Blender:

https://i.imgur.com/pc2zH0m.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CjVne0o.mp4

hell yeah, I'm focusing on generative art & interactive animated data visualizations. graphics from code with handmade detail work

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

It cost more to get framed than it did for the actual print.

sick lobster art

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes gonna incorporate sprinkles in my bus stop routine

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sid Vicious posted:

holy poo poo db stay safe

Appreciated! I'm doing better now. Only crunch I've been on since was me taking a week-long project for the clout, but my last few studios took very good care of me. :)

This is zen as hell.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

graph jokes is the most underestimated comedy genre, someday we'll have more than two people doing that professionally

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

today's Fantasy art is dangerously low on starpipes

pressing F for your powerful contribution

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Talk to me about Greeba Gonky

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Talk to me about Greeba Gonky

Greba Gronky is a mystery but all there is to know can be found in this thread

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

True art

sounds more fun than "Showtime" at least

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I think of the number of people who want to see and smell my rear end in a top hat vs the amount of people who want to consume my art, the numbers are p much even. I think there’s actually some crossover. Thing is, you always take your rear end in a top hat to an art show, but you don’t always take art on fart dates. Like drat I know you said you wanted to see my portfolio but tonight is about my bungholio honey buns. :thunkher:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

My job is dropping viral messages using alt accounts into various "counter culture" forums across the Web. It might be something as simple as:

"I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop"

Just as an example. We sort of see what resonates and jumps platforms and aggregate the messages that do and then sell that to marketers as a sort of package of trending phrases.

These reports inevitably inform media groups and podcasts and other Web based and traditional media and it creates a cool feedback loop that gives me little satisfaction but quite a bit of money.

see, this is what happens when Information Brokers are undersupplied and gotta "touch the poop" to speed up recon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Eh thinking about it more I was too negative originally in this post so I'll change it. It can be really frustrating as an artist making a living online, to receive views and income but no comments whatsoever. It's one of the more disheartening things about it to post a work and then receive enduring silence, until your next work is ready. That's the only reason I'd say not to go for it, is because that will happen honestly very frequently even if you make conversation and some folks have a hard time coping with that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 25, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's just me venting though. Being an artist itself as a profession sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It's not that I'm forced to gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop. Being an rear end gaper itself as a profession sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe I should start tracing poser models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Das Boo posted:

drat

take care