Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Icochet posted:

I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

Hmm I'm trying to place your butthole on my scale that I invented to identify you but I'm coming up empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

super sweet best pal posted:

Maybe I should start tracing poser models.

designing and rigging vtuber models is pretty profitable atm

really helps if you have an interest in fashion since having a selection of outfits is in demand

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I knew someone who made a living selling clothes on Second Life. Virtual clothes, that is. For their sims or whatever they're called.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Being an rear end gaper itself as a profession sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

:hai:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Post your art OP

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I went to art school but I didn't get any job related to it for quite a while.

I absolutely failed at working as an artist, even when I was living with my parents, due to; lack of commitment to ideas, transitory interest in various hobbies (which others have described on here interestingly) and, of course, work getting in the way of "free time"
Also, I am lazy

Now I'm an art teacher. Its been two years and the pay is way better than any job I've ever had and I'm using my degree such as it is, but I'm not really sure how long I will actually want to stick with it. Theres a misery that hangs over many teachers, and thats forgetting the general immiseration of the entire public school system. Plus I get bored

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
i'm always contributing to these threads that involve some weird confessional. sorry for using you all as some bad form of therapy instead of, you know... being funny

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
First time student. Use a pencil to subject?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Schlong Connery posted:

i'm always contributing to these threads that involve some weird confessional. sorry for using you all as some bad form of therapy instead of, you know... being funny

It's great that people are comfortable sharing their experiences in a GBS thread, seems that a place to vent was needed

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Schlong Connery posted:

imo the weird confessional threads are easily one of the best features on this site

the pseudo anonymous usernames and avs give people enough security to speak honestly, but still enough enough recognizability to differentiate users from each other

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Real postin'

Working as a fulltime salaried artist at a large company is pretty nice but it's slowly becoming more rare in the entertainment industry. When companies wanna save a buck, you better believe that you're not far down the list of roles to cut or convert to a contract.

I think the key to starting a career as an artist is to find a discipline that is in high demand. In the games industry it's FX (particles and shaders). They get paid very well and they're highly sought after.

Blender is just about the best thing to be learning. It's powerful and 100% free. Companies are starting to adopt it as their 3D package because holy gently caress Autodesk is a cancer on the world of computer graphics.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sourdough Sam posted:

Real postin'

Working as a fulltime salaried artist at a large company is pretty nice but it's slowly becoming more rare in the entertainment industry. When companies wanna save a buck, you better believe that you're not far down the list of roles to cut or convert to a contract.

I think the key to starting a career as an artist is to find a discipline that is in high demand. In the games industry it's FX (particles and shaders). They get paid very well and they're highly sought after.

Blender is just about the best thing to be learning. It's powerful and 100% free. Companies are starting to adopt it as their 3D package because holy gently caress Autodesk is a cancer on the world of computer graphics.

how does the industry feel about about free form bus stop goatseing?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

ChubbyChecker posted:

how does the industry feel about about free form bus stop goatseing?

Flexibility is essential.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sourdough Sam posted:

Flexibility is essential.

:tipshat:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

In answer to the thread title: Yes.

Oh wait, I read it as "Anyone else forced to be an Autist?"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

In answer to the thread title: Yes.

Oh wait, I read it as "Anyone else forced to be an Autist?"

don't really need to ask that question here, I'm making computer-toucher pieces despite my parents being fine artists who had a kid late in life

naem
May 29, 2011

I have some of the same tendencies you mention in the op o.p.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I don't know what your area of expertise is, but I do know some folks who get a lot of their income from artistic endeavors as long as you're not picky and/or are willing to deal with the occasional pyschopath

For physical mediums, I've got a friend who does D&D characters, digital map work for Roll20, and furry art comissions, and apparently it pays pretty well. I also know an amateur photgrapher who does photoshoots for cosplayers and other con poo poo on top of the usual weddings and graduations.

Music is a little tougher, but I've got friends who do music for indie games and work as techs for live shows, and I know a guy with audio engineering experience that helps people mix their albums and creates themes for YouTube channels.

Failing that, there's always gaping your rear end in a top hat at the bus stop, I heard that's hot right now

D&D/Roll20 is a great opportunity for everyone to be at least a little creative, where even my rules-lawyer brain felt inspired. My friend is obsessed with reading Conan-era fiction, playing/reading 1e-era modules, and making visual assets for his own campaigns that don't go anywhere. He's trying to get into the industry (after treading water for 15 years at restaurant jobs), and if you know places to start or discuss it then we're all ears

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m in the same boat as the OP.

I’ve always been an artist that never committed to any formal education or medium. I was dead set on going to film school but changed my mind to go to community college at the last minute because it seemed safer in the long run. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with film school. It would have been wonderful to surround myself with other creative and talented people to give my art growth and direction. But here I am… a call center manager.

I’ve essentially “failed up” since I graduated college and started working white collar jobs. I make killer money but I’m just not happy at work. I only tend to stay a couple of years at a job before I get so bored/unmotivated that I’m pulling my hair out. Every time before I quit I always think about exploring art again and changing my career to something that I love… and then some other company offers me more money to do the same old work I’ve been miserable at, and I gobble it up. And coast comfortably another few years before I’m back in the same position.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

feel for you man, normal jobs just don't tolerate oddballs

stay strong French Ziggy :france:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’m in the same boat as the OP.

I’ve always been an artist that never committed to any formal education or medium. I was dead set on going to film school but changed my mind to go to community college at the last minute because it seemed safer in the long run. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with film school. It would have been wonderful to surround myself with other creative and talented people to give my art growth and direction. But here I am… a call center manager.

I’ve essentially “failed up” since I graduated college and started working white collar jobs. I make killer money but I’m just not happy at work. I only tend to stay a couple of years at a job before I get so bored/unmotivated that I’m pulling my hair out. Every time before I quit I always think about exploring art again and changing my career to something that I love… and then some other company offers me more money to do the same old work I’ve been miserable at, and I gobble it up. And coast comfortably another few years before I’m back in the same position.

If you make good money and are serious, you can and should spend it on a film. Start with a couple shorts first to meet collaborators but that poo poo is within reach to high earning people. I'm talking 10K for a short comparable in quality to any other (if you don't gently caress up how you spend it). Feature is more variable and you'd have to be making more serious money probably. But a friend of mine made like a 100x return self-distributing a feature costing 25K that he made and marketed very cleverly.

I have made shorts in this way myself and worked on many, probably nearing triple figures, of these types of projects. PM me if you wanna know more, I've budgeted and produced a few. To be clear, I don't mean the massive returns my buddy made from his feature, nobody does short films expecting a ROI.

A career from doing this does not come nearly as easily of course, but having actual projects to your name will be more satisfying, all else being equal.

Or, much cheaper, buy some paints and canvases and go to town on the weekend.

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 28, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Thought the canvas was SpongeBob in his work outfit for longer than I should have.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ok everyone, the wait is over. My chosen Art field is:

voice acting

Got a 10-person zoom class coming up with the VA of Ickis / Red Guy / Cow / Chicken

My same-generation inspiration is ProZD (SungWon Cho) (a funny happy fat guy)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(reminder that I'm intentionally keeping this thread vague to be a stone soup for all flavors of goon-Art)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I tried to get into art school. When I was in my mid-20s I was told that being in my mid-20s I had an 'unfair advantage' compared to students coming in at 18.

I was accepted into an art school for 24 hours. I was rejected when they discovered I had too many credits/semester from a community college.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I tried to get into art school. When I was in my mid-20s I was told that being in my mid-20s I had an 'unfair advantage' compared to students coming in at 18.

I was accepted into an art school for 24 hours. I was rejected when they discovered I had too many credits/semester from a community college.

Should I be vilifying a Conservative elitist institution, or an underfunded public state university? Or god forbid, something like my musician friend's SF Academy of Art University program in the early 2010s (let alone our buddy's cooking school fees in Nashville)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Public.

They also told me to take art classes at an out-of-district community college at a price that was going to be as expensive as taking them at the in-state university. They then told me a few years later that despite telling me to take those classes (and admitting as much) it wouldn't have helped me because I wouldn't have been accepted due to the semesters/credits issue, anyway.

edit: In the last year they've told me they don't restrict enrollment based on semesters/credits. I should be happy about that, but they've told me that before and then changed their policy later.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 4, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

e: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 10, 2022

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I’ve always wanted to do art. I spent my childhood and teen years drawing all the time that I wasn’t spending reading books or playing video games. I never really developed any good technique or style though, and my art classes in college were fun but disappointing personally. I then caught brain worms and am now disabled.

With infinite free time, you’d think I’d be arting it up for shits and giggles, but instead I’m miserable and I stare at the wall most of the day. I don’t art, I don’t read, I don’t play video games. One of the few things I do is browse SA for an hour or two everyday.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Update

Did week 1 of 4 for the voice acting class. Zoom call, 10 students plus the prof, three hours each session, with recording strictly prohibited (except for our own performances). 1.5 hours for introductions & light gossip, then 1.5 of self-selected monologues with feedback

Takeaways

• Many artists have bad relationships with their dad and will helpfully ask if that's your motivation too
• Not every gay NYC actor in the 80s got the hang of that butt hankerchief code, a huge problem for our ADHD Prof
• This is the first time in my personal or professional life where emotions were *encouraged*. It got me *more* credibility, not instant dismissal. Prof: "Acting is not an intellectual exercise, it is entirely about expressing emotions"

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Analytic Engine posted:

Update

Did week 1 of 4 for the voice acting class. Zoom call, 10 students plus the prof, three hours each session, with recording strictly prohibited (except for our own performances). 1.5 hours for introductions & light gossip, then 1.5 of self-selected monologues with feedback

Takeaways

• Many artists have bad relationships with their dad and will helpfully ask if that's your motivation too
• Not every gay NYC actor in the 80s got the hang of that butt hankerchief code, a huge problem for our ADHD Prof
• This is the first time in my personal or professional life where emotions were *encouraged*. It got me *more* credibility, not instant dismissal. Prof: "Acting is not an intellectual exercise, it is entirely about expressing emotions"

Did they tell you what kind of gigs you may be able to expect?

Local commercials and stuff?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I’ve always wanted to do art. I spent my childhood and teen years drawing all the time that I wasn’t spending reading books or playing video games. I never really developed any good technique or style though, and my art classes in college were fun but disappointing personally. I then caught brain worms and am now disabled.

With infinite free time, you’d think I’d be arting it up for shits and giggles, but instead I’m miserable and I stare at the wall most of the day. I don’t art, I don’t read, I don’t play video games. One of the few things I do is browse SA for an hour or two everyday.

Everyone's encouraged to post their art here, so if you're proud of a piece or want advice from some visually talented goon then go for it. I didn't specify in the OP, every span of my creative free time starts with weeks/months of depression and doing fuckall except gaming or SA posting

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Did they tell you what kind of gigs you may be able to expect?

Local commercials and stuff?

Great question; no idea. This seems to be a class for people wanting to focus on improving their voice acting performance, with career stuff being a backdrop and a topic to joke/gossip over between practice. He's not a big name anymore and it has a "grad school class at the professor's one bedroom" vibe. My personal attitude is I'd rather learn technique from a jaded elderly energetic Artiste than some guy explaining his Elance/Upwork system. If I wanted to make money I'd program websites and graphs

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

The most fun part of teaching myself to draw has been doing it without any kind of lessons or whatever, just drawing things I felt like drawing. A lot. Over and over, and figuring it out over time, learning to observe things and break them down into brushstrokes, teaching myself a little 3d modeling to better understand lighting and shadows, etc.

2.5 years ago I literally couldn't draw a stick figure or a straight line that didn't look like a 5 year old drew it but today I drew these

And along the way I learned a whole lot about not just art but perspective in general, in ways that I can apply to other parts of life. It's kinda wild and it's neat to think about how I did it on my own instead of being taught (even though that comes with a lot of drawbacks when it comes to professional art opportunities etc)

Anyway what I'm sayin' is just draw, even if all you're doing is filling a page up with shapes or lines or patterns. You can do more like put effort into 'learning' if you want but you don't have to. I started out by doodling while I smoked cigarettes, like 5-10 mins at a time at most, and at the time all I could manage was drawing meaningless shapes and lines like this:

Now I can sit down for 20-30 minutes and whip up a minimal little landscape like these and it's sort of my version of traveling I guess, just a way to leave the real world behind and daydream for a while :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 13, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Icochet posted:

I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

Has anyone said The Fartist yet

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Baseline energy level of the Prof:

https://imgur.com/a/4qWs1Az

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8pCy1STFI

He's a very active listener too, happy to silently analyze while you try to act like an actor

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

A bear attack doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Did this today

Only registered members can see post attachments!