Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Spinz posted:

Did this today

Wonderful stuff, Spinz :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Biden
Feb 24, 2022
Develop a daily practice. Don't overdo it. Big cakes are eaten in small bites.

Focus on fundamentals and things you suck at. If you hate drawing hands, put them in everything until that's your best skill. Repeat with your worst skills.

Make stuff people enjoy. Don't do think just because that's your whim. Following your random impulses won't help. People will buy something that they respond too that is only kind of well executed. Nobody is buying oil paintings of trees unless they are loving ballin trees.

Make stuff other people don't make. If someone can replace you easily, you don't have anything.

Be part of an actual industry. There is no culture or industry of people doing those weird spray paint planets. It's a dead end and nonsense. It's easier to build a career in a small industry than move to bigger ones.

Get a part time job. You need to interact with people and also move your body.

Be in it for the long haul. Nobody even great people can make things happen in less than two or three years. If you aren't starting good expect 6-10.

Don't listen to artists online. Read business and marketing books. 99% of artists are venting or don't know what they are talking about.

I would give better more specific advice, but my dumb rear end chose the name Hunter Biden because I was up late and I thought it was funny. Don't make your user name Hunter Biden.

Hunter Biden
Feb 24, 2022
Also money talks and compliments are worthless. If someone isn't offering to buy something there could be a hundred motivations for why they are saying something is good. It is absolute folly to try to do anything with compliments, especially when there is so much stuff people say is stinky that actually makes a lot of money. If you are happy with the art, money is the only other thing to pay attention too if you want to have money.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Spinz posted:

Did this today

you (n every other artist on the forums) should post in the CC daily drawings & doodles thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678&goto=lastpost

Today I did these

And this which I am not sure should go in my portfolio lmao

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

deep dish peat moss posted:

you (n every other artist on the forums) should post in the CC daily drawings & doodles thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678&goto=lastpost

Today I did these

And this which I am not sure should go in my portfolio lmao

ceci n'est pas une pipe

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ceci n'est une pipe

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Analytic Engine posted:

Baseline energy level of the Prof:

https://imgur.com/a/4qWs1Az

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8pCy1STFI

He's a very active listener too, happy to silently analyze while you try to act like an actor

Charlie Adler! Dude's a cartoon legend. That's cool that he's teaching.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
If you made artwork (any medium) and want to share it then post something I can quote in the OP, plenty of room for edits

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Spinz posted:

Did this today

yoooooo

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I was gonna shitpost and I really appreciate what you talented goons are doing.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

2nd Amendment posted:

I was gonna shitpost and I really appreciate what you talented goons are doing.

shitposting gave us Gape Artistry, it's encouraged as a catalyst for non-illegitimate creativity

naem
May 29, 2011

it is very nice

e: spins

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hunter Biden posted:

Develop a daily practice. Don't overdo it. Big cakes are eaten in small bites.

Focus on fundamentals and things you suck at. If you hate drawing hands, put them in everything until that's your best skill. Repeat with your worst skills.

Make stuff people enjoy. Don't do think just because that's your whim. Following your random impulses won't help. People will buy something that they respond too that is only kind of well executed. Nobody is buying oil paintings of trees unless they are loving ballin trees.

Make stuff other people don't make. If someone can replace you easily, you don't have anything.

Be part of an actual industry. There is no culture or industry of people doing those weird spray paint planets. It's a dead end and nonsense. It's easier to build a career in a small industry than move to bigger ones.

Get a part time job. You need to interact with people and also move your body.

Be in it for the long haul. Nobody even great people can make things happen in less than two or three years. If you aren't starting good expect 6-10.

Don't listen to artists online. Read business and marketing books. 99% of artists are venting or don't know what they are talking about.

I would give better more specific advice, but my dumb rear end chose the name Hunter Biden because I was up late and I thought it was funny. Don't make your user name Hunter Biden.

This post inspired me to finally be a standup comedian. Thanks Goon! Thoon.

Going onstage for the first time on Wed at my hometown comedy club Savage Henry's. I need five full minutes of material, I have some amusing/bizarre self-own stories, but nothing is written down. I'm in a real finished-our-assignments-the-night-before ADHD situation. And I think I can do it thanks to 10 years of deliberate practice at being not-an-rear end in a top hat thanks to this forum.

I would never ask you weirdos to :frogout:of my addled brain

"Maturity in the Time of Something Awful"

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Ok
Post after and tell us how it went etc

Break a leg

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Analytic Engine posted:

This post inspired me to finally be a standup comedian. Thanks Goon! Thoon.

Going onstage for the first time on Wed at my hometown comedy club Savage Henry's. I need five full minutes of material, I have some amusing/bizarre self-own stories, but nothing is written down. I'm in a real finished-our-assignments-the-night-before ADHD situation. And I think I can do it thanks to 10 years of deliberate practice at being not-an-rear end in a top hat thanks to this forum.

I would never ask you weirdos to :frogout:of my addled brain

"Maturity in the Time of Something Awful"

lol that's crazy. good luck goon. i love amateur stand up so i'm rooting for you

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I did get such a warm reception on this site that it encouraged me to pursue art. So either I thank you goons or blame you, depending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goons are the only people that ever bought my art, even people I know irl didn't buy any of it :kiddo:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
It seems like a stereotype but the accounting job i had literally killed my creative drive and I did nothing art-wise during it and it took years to detox to the point i wanted to create again and draw and write again.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

It seems like a stereotype but the accounting job i had literally killed my creative drive and I did nothing art-wise during it and it took years to detox to the point i wanted to create again and draw and write again.

same only opposite I’ve never earned real money before, I’m hoping to tuck and tiny bit away while the getting is good

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been lucky enough to have been able to live off of doing art for ~12 years now. I think the medium helps, I make interactive installation, together with a partner.
We do free work that we rent out to festivals or art expos so that keeps some background level of money coming in, and we do commissions for museums or other organisations that we make more money at once on.
I'm still quite poor though, but it's enough to live off.

We did one as a permanent installation in a home for people with dementia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1tplBYD9Q

or this one that we made with another artist for the Plastic Soup Foundation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gs8gWRMS-o

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone up for a pre-Artist night talk? Doing 5 minutes of standup tomorrow come hell or high water, and I'm rambling around my hometown at midnight with zero adult supervision

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

naem posted:

same only opposite I’ve never earned real money before, I’m hoping to tuck and tiny bit away while the getting is good

Haha...if only I was earning 'real' money. Apparently I was being groomed for management and upon being informed and telling them I had no desire to be management the job more or less imploded :shepface: Then I spent the next 3 years basically being the giant, useless, depressed metamorphosis cockroach guy after having my mind/soul destroyed. But, things are turning around. I hope.

ekuNNN posted:

I've been lucky enough to have been able to live off of doing art for ~12 years now. I think the medium helps, I make interactive installation, together with a partner.
That is very cool and I am jealous.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

Haha...if only I was earning 'real' money. Apparently I was being groomed for management and upon being informed and telling them I had no desire to be management the job more or less imploded :shepface: Then I spent the next 3 years basically being the giant, useless, depressed metamorphosis cockroach guy after having my mind/soul destroyed. But, things are turning around. I hope.

That is very cool and I am jealous.

It took me 34 years to understand that American Culture inherently values "leadership" more than "qualified excellence". Our insane up-or-out mentality causes mental-Karoshi in all mature adults, because we were founded by children. Jefferson? Inarguably autistic, Cracked explained it. Franklin? The original Chapo Dirtbag Leftist. The original Poster. (Printer, as he would say on his tomb)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Icochet posted:

I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

does anyone ever throw litter in there?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I don't think that's what the sign that says Mind the Gap means.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am literally in a jail cell right now, there's a gun pointed at my head and the guard keeps telling me to draw pictures with my poo. I'm getting better at it but poo is not the greatest drawing instrument and the walls of my cell are not the greatest canvas

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

QuarkJets posted:

I am literally in a jail cell right now, there's a gun pointed at my head and the guard keeps telling me to draw pictures with my poo. I'm getting better at it but poo is not the greatest drawing instrument and the walls of my cell are not the greatest canvas

Use your phone and internet access to look at reference.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Thank you for your service Mr Stable Diffusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

A true artist will master any medium