Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This immediate layoff was the last straw my friends

I wish I could succeed at normal office jobs, but unfortunately my neurodivergent mind can't go 1-2 years without losing motivation on boring work. That automatically and unfairly lowers my performance measurements, which inevitably leads to quitting or a layoff. It's not a realistic longterm option for me and I can't keep living in a fantasy land of stable raises and promotions

Blue collar jobs? Even worse, I sucked at all the labor and was uncomfortable doing them for so long at such little pay. Not a great fit

I'm only super productive when making creative and interesting speculative pieces, fueled by transitory moods and emotions, stretched over months and months of free time inbetween office jobs

I wish there was an easier option but here we are

Now, does any fellow creative goon have advice on living as an Artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Icochet posted:

I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop

Performance art is so satisfying to study, you probably know master level grip-it-and-rip-it techniques

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

My art consists of building fake bus stops to trick buses into stopping and instead of real passengers going in, a cadre of nude people walk in through the front door then out the back, all while gaping their asses.

It's impressive work, but you lifted the idea from obscure Japanese videos

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

McGavin posted:

Just lie and use regular blood. How are the perverts gonna know?

They're the top experts in the world on that

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Bravo. Everyone always talks about the Goatse guy, but nobody asks about the person taking the pictures.

My parents were excellent framers, photograph developers, collection archivists, and art exhibit planners. Creating original pieces was a fun challenge for their college art degrees, but meta-art work is how you pay the bills

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Hey, OP, I’m gonna give you a couple of terms to make it seem like you’re an established artist: chiaroscuro and contrapposto. All you have to do is insert either of these two art terms into any conversation and you’re in!

Thanks! Adding this phrase to my Artist's Mental Toolbox:

"I can't decide if it's more chiaroscuro-contrapposto or contrapposto-chiaroscuro"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Op, have you tried "working from home"? Jack yourself off. Be your own boss.

I have a monitor ordered (supply chain issues) that I heard I should "turn on"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Here's some of the procedural poo poo I've been doing in Blender:

https://i.imgur.com/pc2zH0m.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CjVne0o.mp4

hell yeah, I'm focusing on generative art & interactive animated data visualizations. graphics from code with handmade detail work

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

It cost more to get framed than it did for the actual print.

sick lobster art

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

graph jokes is the most underestimated comedy genre, someday we'll have more than two people doing that professionally

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

today's Fantasy art is dangerously low on starpipes

pressing F for your powerful contribution

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

*leaps onto a subway train as the doors close, pulls emergency stop between stations and immediately start gaping own rear end*

True art

sounds more fun than "Showtime" at least

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

My job is dropping viral messages using alt accounts into various "counter culture" forums across the Web. It might be something as simple as:

"I gape my rear end for perverts at the bus stop"

Just as an example. We sort of see what resonates and jumps platforms and aggregate the messages that do and then sell that to marketers as a sort of package of trending phrases.

These reports inevitably inform media groups and podcasts and other Web based and traditional media and it creates a cool feedback loop that gives me little satisfaction but quite a bit of money.

see, this is what happens when Information Brokers are undersupplied and gotta "touch the poop" to speed up recon

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Schlong Connery posted:

i'm always contributing to these threads that involve some weird confessional. sorry for using you all as some bad form of therapy instead of, you know... being funny

It's great that people are comfortable sharing their experiences in a GBS thread, seems that a place to vent was needed

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

In answer to the thread title: Yes.

Oh wait, I read it as "Anyone else forced to be an Autist?"

don't really need to ask that question here, I'm making computer-toucher pieces despite my parents being fine artists who had a kid late in life

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I don't know what your area of expertise is, but I do know some folks who get a lot of their income from artistic endeavors as long as you're not picky and/or are willing to deal with the occasional pyschopath

For physical mediums, I've got a friend who does D&D characters, digital map work for Roll20, and furry art comissions, and apparently it pays pretty well. I also know an amateur photgrapher who does photoshoots for cosplayers and other con poo poo on top of the usual weddings and graduations.

Music is a little tougher, but I've got friends who do music for indie games and work as techs for live shows, and I know a guy with audio engineering experience that helps people mix their albums and creates themes for YouTube channels.

Failing that, there's always gaping your rear end in a top hat at the bus stop, I heard that's hot right now

D&D/Roll20 is a great opportunity for everyone to be at least a little creative, where even my rules-lawyer brain felt inspired. My friend is obsessed with reading Conan-era fiction, playing/reading 1e-era modules, and making visual assets for his own campaigns that don't go anywhere. He's trying to get into the industry (after treading water for 15 years at restaurant jobs), and if you know places to start or discuss it then we're all ears

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

feel for you man, normal jobs just don't tolerate oddballs

stay strong French Ziggy :france:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ok everyone, the wait is over. My chosen Art field is:

voice acting

Got a 10-person zoom class coming up with the VA of Ickis / Red Guy / Cow / Chicken

My same-generation inspiration is ProZD (SungWon Cho) (a funny happy fat guy)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(reminder that I'm intentionally keeping this thread vague to be a stone soup for all flavors of goon-Art)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I tried to get into art school. When I was in my mid-20s I was told that being in my mid-20s I had an 'unfair advantage' compared to students coming in at 18.

I was accepted into an art school for 24 hours. I was rejected when they discovered I had too many credits/semester from a community college.

Should I be vilifying a Conservative elitist institution, or an underfunded public state university? Or god forbid, something like my musician friend's SF Academy of Art University program in the early 2010s (let alone our buddy's cooking school fees in Nashville)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

e: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 10, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Update

Did week 1 of 4 for the voice acting class. Zoom call, 10 students plus the prof, three hours each session, with recording strictly prohibited (except for our own performances). 1.5 hours for introductions & light gossip, then 1.5 of self-selected monologues with feedback

Takeaways

• Many artists have bad relationships with their dad and will helpfully ask if that's your motivation too
• Not every gay NYC actor in the 80s got the hang of that butt hankerchief code, a huge problem for our ADHD Prof
• This is the first time in my personal or professional life where emotions were *encouraged*. It got me *more* credibility, not instant dismissal. Prof: "Acting is not an intellectual exercise, it is entirely about expressing emotions"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I’ve always wanted to do art. I spent my childhood and teen years drawing all the time that I wasn’t spending reading books or playing video games. I never really developed any good technique or style though, and my art classes in college were fun but disappointing personally. I then caught brain worms and am now disabled.

With infinite free time, you’d think I’d be arting it up for shits and giggles, but instead I’m miserable and I stare at the wall most of the day. I don’t art, I don’t read, I don’t play video games. One of the few things I do is browse SA for an hour or two everyday.

Everyone's encouraged to post their art here, so if you're proud of a piece or want advice from some visually talented goon then go for it. I didn't specify in the OP, every span of my creative free time starts with weeks/months of depression and doing fuckall except gaming or SA posting

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Did they tell you what kind of gigs you may be able to expect?

Local commercials and stuff?

Great question; no idea. This seems to be a class for people wanting to focus on improving their voice acting performance, with career stuff being a backdrop and a topic to joke/gossip over between practice. He's not a big name anymore and it has a "grad school class at the professor's one bedroom" vibe. My personal attitude is I'd rather learn technique from a jaded elderly energetic Artiste than some guy explaining his Elance/Upwork system. If I wanted to make money I'd program websites and graphs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Baseline energy level of the Prof:

https://imgur.com/a/4qWs1Az

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8pCy1STFI

He's a very active listener too, happy to silently analyze while you try to act like an actor

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

If you made artwork (any medium) and want to share it then post something I can quote in the OP, plenty of room for edits

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

2nd Amendment posted:

I was gonna shitpost and I really appreciate what you talented goons are doing.

shitposting gave us Gape Artistry, it's encouraged as a catalyst for non-illegitimate creativity

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hunter Biden posted:

Develop a daily practice. Don't overdo it. Big cakes are eaten in small bites.

Focus on fundamentals and things you suck at. If you hate drawing hands, put them in everything until that's your best skill. Repeat with your worst skills.

Make stuff people enjoy. Don't do think just because that's your whim. Following your random impulses won't help. People will buy something that they respond too that is only kind of well executed. Nobody is buying oil paintings of trees unless they are loving ballin trees.

Make stuff other people don't make. If someone can replace you easily, you don't have anything.

Be part of an actual industry. There is no culture or industry of people doing those weird spray paint planets. It's a dead end and nonsense. It's easier to build a career in a small industry than move to bigger ones.

Get a part time job. You need to interact with people and also move your body.

Be in it for the long haul. Nobody even great people can make things happen in less than two or three years. If you aren't starting good expect 6-10.

Don't listen to artists online. Read business and marketing books. 99% of artists are venting or don't know what they are talking about.

I would give better more specific advice, but my dumb rear end chose the name Hunter Biden because I was up late and I thought it was funny. Don't make your user name Hunter Biden.

This post inspired me to finally be a standup comedian. Thanks Goon! Thoon.

Going onstage for the first time on Wed at my hometown comedy club Savage Henry's. I need five full minutes of material, I have some amusing/bizarre self-own stories, but nothing is written down. I'm in a real finished-our-assignments-the-night-before ADHD situation. And I think I can do it thanks to 10 years of deliberate practice at being not-an-rear end in a top hat thanks to this forum.

I would never ask you weirdos to :frogout:of my addled brain

"Maturity in the Time of Something Awful"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone up for a pre-Artist night talk? Doing 5 minutes of standup tomorrow come hell or high water, and I'm rambling around my hometown at midnight with zero adult supervision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

Haha...if only I was earning 'real' money. Apparently I was being groomed for management and upon being informed and telling them I had no desire to be management the job more or less imploded :shepface: Then I spent the next 3 years basically being the giant, useless, depressed metamorphosis cockroach guy after having my mind/soul destroyed. But, things are turning around. I hope.

That is very cool and I am jealous.

It took me 34 years to understand that American Culture inherently values "leadership" more than "qualified excellence". Our insane up-or-out mentality causes mental-Karoshi in all mature adults, because we were founded by children. Jefferson? Inarguably autistic, Cracked explained it. Franklin? The original Chapo Dirtbag Leftist. The original Poster. (Printer, as he would say on his tomb)