Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Summer Games Done Quick 2022 is over! A big thank you to everyone who helped in raising over three million dollars for Doctors Without Borders!

It's time for Summer Games Done Quick 2022! And yes, it's finally back to being in person. After two years and four online main GDQs, this one is happening in person, of course with an extensive COVID-19 policy to ensure everybody's safety in the event space. It comes to you from June 26th to July 3rd, and as usual in summer, it's benefiting Doctors Without Borders.

====================

As usual, the best place to start is by reading the schedule. It'll helpfully adjust to your time zone. Due to setup and stuff, expect minor variances, so make sure to be on time.

The places to watch are also as usual the GDQ website, and the GDQ Twitch page. When you watch through a browser, the website is generally recommended.

But instead of using a browser, you can use your media player of choice, by running Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI. They're quite easy to get running. Just make sure you're using the latest version of both since Twitch loves changing things to make them not work smoothly.

You're still going to miss stuff, but that can be remedied as all the runs will be posted to the GDQ Youtube channel so you can watch them at your leisure. After the marathon, a good place to find them is GDQ VODs, a very nice website run by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

And you will of course also want to talk to people about the runs you're watching, so here's some places for you to do so:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

====================

And now, a short history lesson for you. Blatantly copy-pasted and mildly updated from the AGDQ 2022 thread, but I was the one who wrote that, so it's fine.

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs like a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ events is just shy of thirty-eight million dollars.

All of the money raised during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always try to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved. Delays are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

====================

And all that money I mentioned does, of course, come from donations. If you wanna add to that total, you do so on the Summer Games Done Quick 2022 donation page, which you find on the GDQ tracker page. You can leave a comment with your donation, and find what prizes and incentives your money can help out with. If your comment is really good, you might get it read on air, but there's so many donations that it's not something you can really count on.

I mentioned incentives, which are things you can "bid" on to make various things happen in some of the runs. Like naming a character, or playing some extra challenge, or even add more games to the schedule. There's a bid index page where you can find them all.

I also mentioned prizes, which are things you can win! Obviously enough. If you donate at least a certain amount, you will be entered into a raffle, and if you're lucky, you'll win something cool. The buy-in for most of the prizes are $5, with a few higher ones. There's also a grand prize from Heroic Replicas, where the buy-in is $150 cumulative, meaning that if you donate a total of $150 across the event you'll be in the drawing for it. All prizes can be found on the prize index. Some examples:

John Metroid

John Eldenring

John Finalfantasy

John Contra

John Nintendoentertainmentsystem

John Zeldathewindwaker

John Tetris

John Pokémonscarletandviolet

John Ratchetandclank

John Kirby

Aside from the prizes, you can get yourself some items in other ways as well, while you still help the charity. The two main ones are the shirts you can get from The Yetee, and various odds and ends from Fangamer. A portion of the sale from each item on either store will go directly to Doctors Without Borders.

====================

As usual, a FAQ:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Bloomington, Minnesota.

====================

So that's everything you need to know! But as usual, please remember why we're all here. To watch cool speedruns for a good cause, so please, don't use this thread to bring in drama, be it about GDQ in general or specific staff or runners. This thread exists to discuss the runs happening at this marathon, so more than anything, please be respectful towards everyone that is in any way involved with the event. The organizers, the runners, the commentator, the announcers, even just the watchers. We're all here for a good time.

If you do have questions about things relating to the marathon, feel free to ask away. There's several goons actively involved with GDQ, and even severaler that are active when it comes to speedrunning in general. So there's absolutely someone who can answer your questions, either in this very thread, in some of the chat channels mentioned above, or in our speedrunning thread, where we always welcome new fans.

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021 | SGDQ 2021 | AGDQ 2022

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd say the entire rhythm block was a bit lengthy for me, but it's definitely worth watching bits of it at least.
Perspective is one of those indie games (actually a title by DigiPen students) that I never heard about and you wonder why, because it was almost mind-blowing. It went too fast for your skull to explode.
The Super Castlevania IV and Link's Awakening races were fun to watch, especially because they were rather close.
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast didn't get as insanely crazy with the trickery as the first Jedi Knight game tends to get, but it still had some amazing stuff and great commentary (remember the reason why it was in French?).
Super Mario World: kaizo relay race was great. Exciting stuff.
The run for Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance was remote and just had the runner doing commentary, but think it was excellent. Might be because SGDQ this year finally inspired me to get around to finishing Symphony of the Night for the first time, and I noticed a lot of references that were lost to me when I played HoD back in the day (even more so than the other Metroidvania titles in the series).
Macbat 64: Journey of a Nice Chap is the hidden gem of this SGDQ.

mandatory lesbian posted:

kaizo super metroid was incredibly precise gameplay by one of the most technically precise players of sm currently. Very enjoyable

KariOhki posted:

Shadow of the Colossus: good runner energy, creative way to do a category that's been shown off a couple times already
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: carby
Bulk Slash: I'm biased because I love this game and love Saturn rep, but it's a solid third person shooty robot game and best girl won the donation incentive
Blaster Master: Close as heck race between two GDQ runners who have been around for a long time
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Another close race
Earnest Evans: Good jank if you haven't seen it before
Mega Man block: From Gunvolt Chronicles to Mega Man 5, probably the best MM block due to how varied every game is
Knuckles' Chaotix: Glad to finally see this one at a GDQ as it kind of gets buried among the other OG 2D Sonic games
Pokémon Emerald Randomizer: Watch this Pokemon run if you want to watch one from the event, it's hilarious and good energy
DEEEER Simulator, Mi Scusi, Incredible Crisis: Just picking these three out of Silly Block as the best ones from the bunch. The entire block is probably good minus Turnip Boy which should've been outside of the block
Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon: An unexpectedly fun puzzle game I didn't know existed
Chocobo GP: Yet another close as heck race
Donkey Kong Country: Because Reverse Boss Order is magical
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World: Amazing to see ACE done by human hands and also the best showmanship of a backup cart ever

Deformed Church posted:

As for recommendations, I didn't catch as much as I'd wanted to live, but I'm going to throw one in for Doom Eternal just because the gameplay execution is absolutely incredible.

IcePhoenix posted:

Gonna throw Yakuza LAD and Halo Infinite on the game recommendation pile once more to make sure it's after the request post :)

Chucat posted:

From what I managed to watch:

Chill runs where the runner was really good at the game and the commentators/runner were on point.

Crash 2
Devil May Cry
Little Mermaid
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden
Megaman Block
Knuckles Chaotix
MGS2
Majuu Ou
Kings Quest V
FFX
Wind Waker

Metroid Dread/Kaizo Super Metroid - The execution was really good and the commentary was good, but as mentioned a few posts back, the constant pushing for incentives kind of soured me on them.

FF6 Randomizer - This was fun to watch but if you don't know much about FF6 you're probably just gonna be like "What the hell is this"

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 4, 2022

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

two elden ring runs... although why would any% be showcased? isn't that a shitshow of frame perfect tricks?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go SGDQ

:sanix:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

French Accent posted:

two elden ring runs... although why would any% be showcased? isn't that a shitshow of frame perfect tricks?

Looks like Any% got split at some point. Regular "Any%" doesn't allow for the frame perfect zips that make "Any% (unrestricted)" a sub-10 minute run, but still allows all the other stuff.

Anyway.

GDQ HYPE!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm at the airport on the way to Minneapolis! I'll be hosting for some early morning shifts (I've *gotta* start being more strict with my availability) so check em out and donate!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yetee has a couple shirts I like (Tunic and Phasmophobia at least) but unfortunately nowadays you have to pay so much postal fees and taxes I haven't been able to get 'em ever since Covid started. If by some stroke of luck any fellow finnish viewers want to share costs, gimme a shout here or on Discord.

Otherwise looking forward to it. Working a lot of evenings next week but I'll post during the early EU hours.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

Yetee has a couple shirts I like (Tunic and Phasmophobia at least) but unfortunately nowadays you have to pay so much postal fees and taxes I haven't been able to get 'em ever since Covid started. If by some stroke of luck any fellow finnish viewers want to share costs, gimme a shout here or on Discord.

Otherwise looking forward to it. Working a lot of evenings next week but I'll post during the early EU hours.
Yeah, there's no shirts that really jump out to me this time so I'm gonna consider it not worth it to buy from Sweden. Back for AGDQ I picked up one t-shirt and one hoodie and the shipping and taxes added up to just a little bit more than the hoodie alone cost. At least it was a really good hoodie! E: Actually huh that Ninja Warriors shirt whips but guuuh

And I start my summer job tomorrow so I'll have a lot to catch up on afterwards.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 26, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kirby is the hypest thing on day 1, can't wait

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Some other prizes I'm hype about :

This Elden Ring Shadowbox:

Breath of the Wild Diorama:

Pokemon Crimson and Violet Starter Stained Glass:

Final Fantasy VI Character art printed over the sheet music for the theme for that character.

There's a few more that look promising as hell, but don't have pics up yet, like the Tunic-themed Xbox Series X.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The Celeste shirt has classic on it I have ascended.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Won't be arriving on site until tomorrow, but the hype is definitely real. Especially since I'm back at the hosting desk! You can catch me during ICO, GTA: Vice City, Halo Infinite, and Half-Life: Alyx.

I also hrlped write the pre-show and will be behind the scenes during a bunch of the interviews and prize segments.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

having in-person back is gonna be such a drat breath of fresh air, hell yeah

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Been a while since I woke up early enough to catch the pre-show live. Looking forward to the Warioware and Mass Effect speedruns today.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
My Blaster Master race vs davidtki is current slated for about 6:30am eastern Monday morning, hopefully it shapes to be a nice clash of the titans.

We had a practice race right after he got here and we finished 4 seconds apart and I'm legit mad that we didn't broadcast THAT instead. :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Do link the Horaro schedule if there is/will be one, I like it more since it shows where the event is at currently (I know of the restream ones)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Event has barely started and the timer already broke. We're off to a great event!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
LIVE CROWD NOISES

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

LIVE CROWD NOISES

It's gonna be so weird having a crowd response to runs again.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Do link the Horaro schedule if there is/will be one, I like it more since it shows where the event is at currently (I know of the restream ones)

https://horaro.org/sgdq2022restream/schedule

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

LIVE CROWD NOISES

I was not expecting to get this choked up hearing a bunch of nerds chatting before the show begins.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

LIVE CROWD NOISES

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yesssssssss

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Let's GO!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
goddamn ive missed an in-person event

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Completely blanked on this until 20 minutes ago. Looking at the schedule I'm probably most hype for Friday but I'll tune in or VOD watch as much as I can some of the other days.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Webbeh posted:

extremely :same:

took the week off from work cause i am so excited it is in-person again

gonna watch so, so fuckin much of this poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kff has the correct opinion on what to be most excited about today

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Shoutout to them wearing masks while hosting. That's some hardcore COVID safety.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is the time where basically my second monitor is reserved for the stream for the whole week and I have to make do with other stuff on my main monitor.

If you want to play bingo, here's a generator that Hempuli made:

https://www.hempuli.com/gdq/

I got screwed over with the catcam square, which might be a bit hard on a live event, but I'm bending rules and adding it if the runner looks like a cat or has cat-related clothing

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rosalind posted:

Shoutout to them wearing masks while hosting. That's some hardcore COVID safety.

Everyone's gonna be masked up. It's in their Covid Policy.
https://gamesdonequick.com/covid

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

UraniumAnchor posted:

My Blaster Master race vs davidtki is current slated for about 6:30am eastern Monday morning, hopefully it shapes to be a nice clash of the titans.

We had a practice race right after he got here and we finished 4 seconds apart and I'm legit mad that we didn't broadcast THAT instead. :v:

This is like 4:30 AM for me but I'm probably going to get up for it, because Blaster Master. Good luck!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

extremely :same:

took the week off from work cause i am so excited it is in-person again

gonna watch so, so fuckin much of this poo poo

i'm tapering off pregabalin atm so this is the perfectly timed-antidote to feeling like garbage

Rosalind posted:

all the events are socially distanced and require proof of vaccination/masking, too. it's just really drat considerate overall

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Cernunnos posted:

Everyone's gonna be masked up. It's in their Covid Policy.
https://gamesdonequick.com/covid

Yeah just saying I'm impressed. I went to a major epidemiology conference just 2 weeks ago and all the speakers were allowed to take their masks off when presenting.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Looks like the donation link is getting killed because it's not loading AT ALL

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

That's a Burger King bag, not McDonalds

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Just as I remember him.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pokemon snap is not a game i ever thought of in a speedrun sense but it seems like it'd be killer, that is gonna rule

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Once again there is SO much stuff I have never even heard of. I say it in every GDQ but for me one of the best things is to catch a run in odd timeslot where you have no idea about the game or runner and it ends up being incredibly entertaining.

and then you end up wishlisting the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Webbeh posted:

I feel like switching back to in-person was a bit premature, and it fucks everyone who benefited from the remote shows, but it's nice to see the energy