Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

ACE is an especially nightmarish thing to try to explain to a layperson watching, since it has to assume you already know what memory is and how data is actualized as bits for "we press the d-pad really fast on four controllers and BotW link appears to say arigato" to make any kind of sense

I think with the OOT run, it was more there was a fuzzy line during the run of what was on cart and what was being injected. Even if it was 100% injected, it was impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, but KungFuFruitCup just confirmed on her stream that the runners who voluntarily dropped for time will be given spots at AGDQ if they submit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A Real Horse posted:

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, but KungFuFruitCup just confirmed on her stream that the runners who voluntarily dropped for time will be given spots at AGDQ if they submit.

i mean if gdq didn't do this it'd be extraordinarily lovely

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I sent it to a few friends and was like “just ignore the explanation at the beginning and enjoy the show, if you’re interested to know how it all works there’s better explanations out there.” The runners valiantly tried to explain it live but it’s hard to imagine someone with no knowledge was following the first ten minutes, especially while watching Link perform actions that are probably confusing on their own if you’ve never seen them before.

But ultimately it’s not a problem, it was a live performance telling a silly story and showing off some stuff that’s technically impressive but also just neat to watch on its own. I feel bad that people felt tricked because it seems like their intent wasn’t to embarrass anyone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would have enjoyed it much more if they just said "we took the beta content on the cart and then hacked it with ace to turn it into a story" for sure

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm maybe ten minutes into Sound Voltex and it is already at the top of the 'anxiety simulator' runs along with the Tetris: the Grandmaster poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I missed the SMW romhack race, this thing is incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrHSHt8WmE

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No cats in attendance, unacceptable marathon

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Flesnolk posted:

No cats in attendance, unacceptable marathon

There was a very good service dog on site who every drunk person was devastated about not being able to freely pet.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I saw the pupper on stream! Good doggo

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zurai posted:

What, them saying, "Yes, the Arwing is actually on OOT's cart, they used it as a beta test of Volvagia's flying mechanics" wasn't enough to clue you in?

I knew that some of what they were saying was deliberate misdirection by that point, so how on earth would I know that particular statement was actually truthful and not part of the con?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Xerophyte posted:

I knew that some of what they were saying was deliberate misdirection by that point, so how on earth would I know that particular statement was actually truthful and not part of the con?

You mean you don't know every detail of the beta content of a N64 game from 1998??

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the arwing being in the game has been known about for like 20 years lmao
YEAH GEEZ

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Imagine not having a working knowledge of Mips encoding reference lmbo

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Xerophyte posted:

Sure, I guess if you're willing to believe that the runner is outright, baldface lying to you, and that the event condones that (runners have to submit a video of the run as part of approval), then you do you. There's no rational discourse that can be had past that point.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Zurai posted:

Sure, I guess if you're willing to believe that the runner is outright, baldface lying to you, and that the event condones that (runners have to submit a video of the run as part of approval), then you do you. There's no rational discourse that can be had past that point.

:tinfoil:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zurai posted:

But ... the runner was literally telling baldface lies throughout. That was the entire conceit of the run.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

But ... the runner was literally telling baldface lies throughout. That was the entire conceit of the run.

The runner never lied a single time. Everything they said was on the cart was on the cart, and the stuff that wasn't on the cart they never said was.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Zurai posted:

Runners lying for a bit at gdq is so common that people have started doing meta-bits about the meta-bits about it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Runners lying for a bit at gdq is so common that people have started doing meta-bits about the meta-bits about it

I've never heard a runner straight-up lie like they're claiming here. I've seen lots of "oh, here's the hardest boss! <kills it in one hit>" type stuff, but that's all obvious tongue-in-cheek jokes. I've never seen a runner say, "this content is on the cart" only for that to be a complete fabrication. I certainly haven't seen every single GDQ run, so maybe I've just conveniently missed every single lie since 2018, but somehow I doubt it.

EDIT: For the record, I only caught the very end of the OOT run live (the part with twitch chat), but I saw comments in the thread at the time claiming the runner lied, so I paid attention when I watched the whole thing later. They absolutely, 100% did not lie a single time.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 5, 2022

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Zurai posted:

I've never heard a runner straight-up lie like they're claiming here. I've seen lots of "oh, here's the hardest boss! <kills it in one hit>" type stuff, but that's all obvious tongue-in-cheek jokes. I've never seen a runner say, "this content is on the cart" only for that to be a complete fabrication.

But it wasn’t a fabrication. The content was on the cart. And the beta content was all clearly identified as such. They were if anything overly clear about that during the run.

On a broader scope, what is happening in this thread? I wouldn’t have imagined a significant group of people could be confused and angry about this relatively silly and totally harmless stunt pulled for charity.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SeXReX posted:

"I need quiet time for this" has made a whole loop and is now back to being a geniuine request, I love this.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kikas posted:

"I need quiet time for this" has made a whole loop and is now back to being a geniuine request, I love this.

Props to Oats for only specifically asking for quiet time once or twice during Kaizo Metroid, which I finished up this morning. I know the ROM hacking scene for Mario games has such a wide range of difficulty, from Little Timmy to Barb/Panga. It just seems like any time I hear of a Super Metroid ROM hack, the creator hates the player and it is assumed that you are a robot in order to complete it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Zurai posted:

The runner never lied a single time. Everything they said was on the cart was on the cart, and the stuff that wasn't on the cart they never said was.

It's this. Every time they specifically said "this is an actual beta asset on the cart," it was. Every time they did not specifically say that, it wasn't

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The Metal Gear Revengence VOD was taken down because the runner spliced in video for the DLC part.

https://reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/vrrha1/_/iewy4ml/?context=1

That’s gotta be a first for GDQ, right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBD Corndog posted:

The Metal Gear Revengence VOD was taken down because the runner spliced in video for the DLC part.

lmfao and it was a bonus incentive too, what a shitlord

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

Okay, NOW I've seen a runner straight-up lie about a run.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I missed the SMW romhack race, this thing is incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrHSHt8WmE

my favorite thing about this now this that the actual hack was getting patched constantly for like the last month because it was horribly unstable and someone actually bet during the GDQ run

it actually immediately crashed during the credits once the camera was off

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

my favorite thing about this now this that the actual hack was getting patched constantly for like the last month because it was horribly unstable and someone actually bet during the GDQ run

it actually immediately crashed during the credits once the camera was off

They were still updating it on site

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I didn't watch that MG run. How do you even splice in video secretly at a live event with a couch full of people watching?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

Holy poo poo that is the lifetime ban if I've ever seen one :popeye:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I didn't watch that MG run. How do you even splice in video secretly at a live event with a couch full of people watching?

It was one of the remote runs.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CBD Corndog posted:

That really sucks, he was one of the better runners too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really hope this doesn't make staff second guess having remote runs in the future

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think the confusion over the Ocarina of Time team lying or not was they kept saying "I just want to remind everyone this is an unmodified cartridge being played on an unmodified N64." A very standard way to read that is "we're not changing anything, and this scene where we're winning a race with the running man is on the cart" but how they really meant it was "we hadn't modified anything before turning the game on." That had me confused during the run, and I only realized it wasn't the way they meant it when I rewatched it.

What they said was exactly what they meant and it was only confusing because people are used to those words meaning something else; I doubt the confusion was intentional on their part.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bremen posted:

I think the confusion over the Ocarina of Time team lying or not was they kept saying "I just want to remind everyone this is an unmodified cartridge being played on an unmodified N64." A very standard way to read that is "we're not changing anything, and this scene where we're winning a race with the running man is on the cart" but how they really meant it was "we hadn't modified anything before turning the game on." That had me confused during the run, and I only realized it wasn't the way they meant it when I rewatched it.

What they said was exactly what they meant and it was only confusing because people are used to those words meaning something else; I doubt the confusion was intentional on their part.

Yeah, I think this is a fair assessment. They could also have done a better job of explaining what Arbitrary Code Execution meant in the context of the run. They did a pretty good job of explaining how they set up the ACE, but after they set it up, they mostly dropped that line of conversation in favor of explaining what was happening on-screen. I think if they'd explained that ACE meant they could make the game bend over backward and do whatever it was they wanted it to do, even including CD-quality sound and cel-shaded graphics that could never have been on the original cart (as shown in the BotW ending), it would've been less confusing.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Kikas posted:

Holy poo poo that is the lifetime ban if I've ever seen one :popeye:

Yup

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wait, he planned it all out months ahead of time and documented the process? what the fuckin poo poo?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I mean, he ended his run with what sounded like "I expect to die in the war before the next GDQ, goodbye forever"

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bremen posted:

I think it was mostly an inaccuracy of terminology. They didn't modify the ROM on the cartridge, e.g. "hardware", because it's read-only and you can't do that. But they did modify the software and data in RAM through ACE. I think the one almost-throwaway line towards the end of "this is stock but with a lot of glitches" is a better explanation that they should've used early and often, along with a very brief "we are using these glitches to rewrite ram through the controller ports" which explains everything while still being concise. This isn't the first time TASblock has suffered from poor communication and it's something I really hope they can improve on in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wait, he planned it all out months ahead of time and documented the process? what the fuckin poo poo?

there's been some weird poo poo at past GDQs but this might take the cake