Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Milli posted:

The first house was really chaotic, it feels like they're finding their groove as the game continues. That said if I didn't know anything about this game it'd probably be a nightmare.

Speaking of, what difficulty are they playing on?

Professional

site posted:

I've never played it so maybe you're not actually supposed to, but I would like to see a ghost every once in a while

if you're seeing the lights flicker and stuff, then the ghost is manifesting.

if the front door isn't closed then it's just an event and spookums territory

if the front door is closed, its out for blood

but you're not going to get a lot of ghost dodging on the smaller maps

maybe the last one with Willow Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
oh god campsite this is going to be a trainwreck

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Oh, that is really cool.

I did not understand more than maybe thirty seconds of this run but it was cool to watch.

e: yeah I agree that maybe having somebody who wasn't playing to do the commentary might have helped to explain what in the world is going on

basicall you have to find ghost then gather evidence on ghost then deduce what it is and as this is going on you're basically on a timer where the ghost can and will start loving with you and then kill you

also they were stupidly lucky on the first map whjich didnt help with explanations, EMF5 as evidence is entirely RNG based and the fact that they got it in like 10 seconds is insanely good at narrowing down ghosts

like you can go an entire match without getting EMF5 for evidence even if the ghost is supposed to generate it because the game rolls a % to even let the 5 reading be seen

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
anyway for Phasmo in case anyone is interested and wants to play it (its a banger with friends if you try not to take it super seriously)

like the evidence types are

diagnosing room:
freezing temperatures - kind of obvious, ghost rooms are colder than other rooms, but you get a thermometer you can use for exact measurements, but you can see freezing breath even without for evidence
spirit box - ghost will respond to you if you ask it questions
fingerprints - ghosts get real touchy with stuff and will play with doors and objects in the room they're hiding out in, if it touches some surfaces (doors, mirror, light switches) it will leave behind fingerprints if its
EMF- one of the easier ways to figure out where the ghost is, but by far the most finicky to actual evidence of EMF5, but whenever a ghost does something it'll generate an EMF reading. if the ghost can generate EMF5 the game rolls a % to show a 5, otherwise it just shows EMF4 like any other ghost
ghost orbs - on the cameras you may see little orbs floating around in the ghost room, but only in the viewfinder or on the PC back in the truck

narrowing it down:
ghost writing - you can put a book down and the ghost will write in it
DOTS - this is the green matrix stuff that shows up, but ghosts that can leave a DOTS impression will create a model in the field when they do an action

each player has a sanity gauge which goes down constantly as the player is in the dark exploring the area. you can turn lights on to minimize the loss or take pills to restore some, but lights require power and there's only 4 bottles of pills to split

as sanity goes down, the ghost can become more active and start hunting players, at which point you need to try to evade or hide until the hunt ends (either by waiting out a timer or when someone dies)

each type of the ghost have various different quirks that if you pay attention to the behavior that will let you figure out what something is in, like for example poltergeists like to throw lots of stuff. onis get agitated when more people are near them, mares like the dark and will stymie players who try to use lights, demons can hunt at higher sanity levels than anything else. some of the riskier behaviors are ones that can only be seen during hunts, like revenants who move very slowly while looking for someone, but gain a significant speed boost when they find someone and have line of sight.,. one of the newer ones I think the deogen actually knows where all players are at all time and will move towards one but it will basically do it at a glacial pace letting someone loop and evade it if they realize

after you die you can actually watch the ghost manifest and then watch them hunt everyone else while you loot a house, throw beer at them, repeatedly bounce a ball in their face or just sit around and play cornhole

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

For anyone not knowing what was going on: in Phasmo, you load into a house that has a random ghost type that is tethered to a random room (although it can sometimes wander a bit before rubber banding back to the room, and on high difficulties the room can sometimes shift). So the first order of business is to find the ghost room. This can be done in a few different ways. It can knock over stuff in the room, tap on windows, open doors, etc., and you can also bring in evidence-finding items and walk around the room until something is triggered. Each map also has a random cursed object, like the Ouija board they used, that can sometimes be used to find the ghost room.

Once you find the room, you need to determine what kind of ghost it is using evidence. Except for the Mimic, each ghost has unique combination of three different types of evidence. After you get some experience, you can also infer the ghost type based on their behavior, like wraiths not leaving footprints after they walk through salt. The game uses voice recognition for specific questions you can ask the ghost, or saying its actual name to antagonize it. I'm pretty sure there used to be a dev troll where saying you were scared out loud was likely to trigger a hunt. Being in a dark room and different ghost interactions will lower your sanity over time, and low sanity causes ghosts to actively hunt. You basically have no defense from the ghost at this point and need to run and hide until the hunt is over. Different ghost types need to be avoided differently, but that's a whole thing I don't feel like typing. There are also RNG side objectives to complete each round, these can include taking a photo of the ghost, escaping a hunt after the ghost sees you, or getting a reading on a less commonly used item like a motion sensor.

It's a super good game and everyone should try it. It also works great in VR!

technically the mimic has an actual 3 piece evidence set it just generates a 4th fake piece of evidence in ghost orbs which you need because gently caress mimics on nightmare the hardest difficulty is nightmare which breaks your ability to track player sanity directly and ghost activity levels, as well as forcing ghosts to generate only 2 of their 3 pieces of evidence, so mimics generating 3 means its now their insta tell, since their actual gimmick doesnt work on nightmare (they can emulate other ghost types randomly so you need to recognize possible difference in behavior vs reported evidence on lower difficulties)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

So in Phasmophobia, were they actually fighting or killing the ghost? It kind of seemed like they just select what kind of ghost it was... and that was it? That seems really anti-climactic.

nah you figure it out and book it

it's a game of survival, and you have some delaying tactics for the ghost, but only a set number and when they're gone they're gone

of course this being a speed run and with some really good RNG, they didnt really need to push the survival end of things which is good and bad for something like GDQ

there was really only one run where they were getting hunted by the ghosts, and the last 2 team members made the conscious decision to not go back in and risk checking the books and opting for a guess based on behavior

on some of the larger maps, you can have the ghost pick off someone before you can even find the room if you're a bit unlucky and things get interesting after that

mind you for Phasmo, they were running the small maps category which was like 16 rooms maximum in a map

the largest map right now has like 120 rooms

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 28, 2022

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Those are the worst. If the dev is on the panel I don't want the speedrunner to explain their tricks. We hear speedrunners explain tricks every run, just let the dev respond to the speedrun and talk about stuff they did while doing dev.

When was the last dev commentator who actually got to speak alot? Battleblock theatre a few years back? They seem to always be squashed by runner/couch commentary.

How long ago was the Blast Corps run where they had like one of the Rare guys on the phone

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

This! Actually, wow, if there were a visualization of this, it would become so much more accessible. Flowcharts sometimes can be used for good!

OOTR is actually graph based logic so theres a giant loving flowchart for this

that gets even worse when the more esoteric stuff like skullsanity, cowsanity, songsanity gets turned on

also the logic tends to get really messy if something important is in spirit temple or gerudo training grounds due to a high variance of items needed to get items due to the game not wanting to let you softlock on bad key usage

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
if you're interested in watching and learning ZOOTR, the 2 primary places to watch matchups on Twitch would be on ZeldaSpeedRuns who has 2 weekly races (the NA Weekly which is about 6 PM Eastern on Saturdays and the EU Weekly which is at the moment at 9 AM Eastern Sunday). They also run Freaky Friday which is some special themed weird settings and DDR showcases which is not dancing themed, but is the mode where you can do kind of anything as long as you can get until a dungeon door in a non glitched way. They also to host main tourney stuff but that just ended.

Theres also TheSilverGauntlets who have a lot more lower key stuff like Challenge Cup or League. Right now they're focused on Triforce Blitz (which us a logic puzzle of a 3 piece triforce hunt that runners get 2 hours to beat) and Mixed Pools (which is a bunch of shuffled entrance pools)

I am also contractually obligated to mention ZSR has other Zelda stuff but after GDQ ends the LTTPR crosskeys tourney is starting.l so theres that if you like Crosskeys because it's the best LTTPR mode.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

I am looking forward to bombing out of the crosskeys tournament again because racing crosskeys is pain

rando is pain

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

The real problem is the gdq audience needs like, a little bit of Rando sprinkled into the blunt to get the party going but all the Rando players have such a tolerance they need to slam face first into mountains of bullshit on the table like Scarface just to feel anything.

my friend have you heard of RSL

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Have they checked to make sure light arrows aren't behind 50 skulltulas or somethign dumb like that.

For the GDQ seed only 10 and 20 skulls are on for items.

The usual play for ZOOTR in a seed where trials are off are to open up Ganon's Castle and then rush to his fight because he'll tell yu ou what region they're in, and you can then go find them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Flesnolk posted:

Is that a mod thing? I don't remember Ganon straight up telling you how to fight him in the normal game

Yeah, they modded Ganon to give a hint for it (along with making so you can read all the gossip stones without the mask of truth) which comprise the games hint system

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

It is yeah, since the lights are in his tower normally. I think on the way up the stairs?

nah light arrows are given to you in the temple of time when you get the shadow and spirit medallions

the chest along the way is the boss key to Ganons room

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that's the key to randomizers and some people are a lot better at conveying it than others. Also depends on the game. I've always found OoT a bit more difficult to parse in that respect than the 2D zelda randomizers.

OOT is probably harder to parse unless you really have a guide to logic because theres some really obscure antisoftlock logic that sometimes gets triggered and screws hints up (I'm looking at you paradox letter)

It does have a lot nicer movement tech though and the ability to do a lot more sequence breaks

LTTP probably has easier to piece together logic but like you're not going to really do any major sequence breaks in it in most normal settings.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think this could be a really cool gdq run category, even for us non OoT players, with a comprehensive overlay of game stuff

Nukes had been basically running like a biweekly intro to OOT rando stuff on the GDQ channel for the last few months

They might still be archived. Or like pop into a weekly, theres nothing more than ZOOTR race chat does is love other than tired memes is trying to figure out the logic chain and constructing elaborate worst case scenarios.

Like last week where there was the first logical hookshot on 50 skulltulas but you could sequence break the second and it turned out that the first 50 skull one really wasnt important anyway

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

Yeah, this honestly feels like a UI challenge at this point. If there were some way to see what was left to check, what the critical path items were, what leads into them, etc., that would make this so much more accessible. There's no way you could do it directly through Twitch, but maybe an offsite thing?

the race channels all have a bot set up to do this stuff, mostly powered by a google spreadsheet that the people on comms and tracking fill out as the race goes on

like you type in !path and the bot spits out all of the pathed locations + what items were found there + maybe how the path resolves

the onlyy thing that really doesnt get touched would be where to check, but a lot of comms are runners who have a mental checklist and will bring up whatever's left

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

Part of the appeal of playing a randomizer like this is that there are often several paths to reach a given area or check: see the hookshot/gold scale thing Nukes did (which is not expected by the placement logic but was useful here). There are also ~250 checks in the game in these settings, with probably a hundred different sets of requirements; communicating that is hard enough even if you know what you're looking at.

yeah for example like the seed I gave before with last week's EU weekly, like logically the game expected you to collect 50 skulltulas with no hookshot, so you could do the following things logically and not get softlocked

turn in 50 skulls get a hookshot

use the hookshot to get into water temple

get a wallet from water temple

go buy blue fire from the kakariko potion shop

use the blue fire to unfreeze king zora as an adult and receive your longshot

use the longshot to cross the broken bridge in gerudo valley to get to gerudo training ground

get your rutos letter from the back half of GTG

return to child and turn in the letter to King Zora to open up zora's fountain

return adult and go to ice cavern in zora's fountain

get your hover boots from ice cavern

use thje hover boots beat shadow temple to collect the forest medallion and trigger the prelude of light check in temple of time and get epona's song

or you could just like hop past King Zora like a champ or reverse wasteland and break the stupid blue first paradox letter loop and get the much easier hookshot (that wasnt hard required to beat the game)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

Hmm. What I'm getting from that is, this is a competition that is fated to be pretty much impenetrable to anyone who isn't part of its community. I'm not too bothered by this, GDQs are by definition celebrations of niche video game communities. I feel certain there's a better way to present this information, though.

Probably, but it kind of exists in the space where GDQ isn't going to probably be the best place for it and if you want more info you should look at the smaller communities.

Mostly because of the chat volume tbh.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Shame Poo had to drop out of the race because his wife and kid had COVID and he stayed home to care for them, but Mouse is a pretty great guy

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
they used the arwings to prototype the Volvagia fight (specifically Volv's flying phase) but you can get them in the game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Oh is the SMW relay a race of a mod? I thought it was just the base game since it doesn't mention it. That's rad. I liked the mario maker races from previous events.

yeah its a blind Kaizo relay

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah I was sort of interested in it before but now I'm super interested, seems like a real bad miscommunication at some point in the chain

it was organized by the RomHackRaces folks, they forgot to put Kaizo in the description

shirts are here btw

https://shop.romhackraces.com/

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

King of Solomon posted:

Was there a point earlier in the marathon where they weren't calling this Celeste.smc? I feel like they've been pretty clear about what this is.

E: Or is this about the SMW run after Celeste.smc?

there's going to be a kaizo relay after Celeste.smc

then tomorrow night there will be a Super Mario Maker 2 Relay as well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the relay tonight is scheduled to be Juzcook (who made Invictus), CarlSagan42 (who did Fly Me To The Stars and now mostly has trapped himself willingly in SMM2 Troll Hell), and Shoujo vs Barb (creator of Grand Poo World 1 and 2), as well as shovda andn Thirdwall who are both hack creators and SWMC kaizo moderators.

the level's in the relay were supplied by sio-kedelic, TheBourgyman, gbreeze, MiracleWater, BeeKay, FerpyMcFrosting, idol, Margot, and Supposedly Maddy (who may or may not be the same Maddy from Maddy Makes Games, creator of Towerfall and Celeste cough cough)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was expecting carlsagan42 to be the standout in his team but shoujo is making the others look like clowns

carl sadly got a real job so he doesn't play as much as he does

oh god its cape time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

This level is deeply cursed.

you should see Lets Give Up

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
oh good its tower of heaven its getting even more fcuked up

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
ferpy level, time for hosed up visuals

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Thirdwall seems to have an extra controller and isn't swapping with the other players? I wonder how that works.

they have a multitap plugged in

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
this seems like an idol and margot level name yeah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Margot was one half of a level creation team who put out a level that was a 32 screens long autoscroller that existed solely to play "Cotton-Eyed Joe" at CD quality with no MSU-1 chip

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

The depth and the glory of this sin is the envy of Lucifer. Better to reign in Kaizo Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSu8XepaDrk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BabyRyoga posted:

Barb is also easily the best player there, so it's hard to count him out. I would put Juz at second, but it seems like Shoujo did some work tonight.

all of them are extremely good runners in their own rights

Barb and juz are extremely good at level design and reading levels, Carl is extremely good at cape tech, and shovda and thirdwall have basically been de facto play testers for the last couple of years and are probably even more experienced with glitch tech than the others

if anything shoujo's technically the least experienced because she stuck to SMM2 only for a long time

watch shoujo if you aren't, she's working her way through Wiiware titles in addition to Mario stuff

this will include a certain game called la mulana

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't believe that was an aura viewer, there was no TTS spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I missed the SMW romhack race, this thing is incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrHSHt8WmE

my favorite thing about this now this that the actual hack was getting patched constantly for like the last month because it was horribly unstable and someone actually bet during the GDQ run

it actually immediately crashed during the credits once the camera was off