Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Very glad that things are OK enough to do in person. You know that with this being the first in person in a while that they are going to make so much freaking money.

Never played Shadow of the Colossus, never saw rubie stream, but I am 100% loving both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

god I love Dayoman, immaculate energy from this dude

That is what peak performance looks like. Dude is a hero in my book. Max comfy and no fucks given :colbert:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

*cues up the Barb/GPB voice modulator*

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

this runner's already pretty loving good lol

I always love it when a runner can be funny, describe what they are doing, and ball out at the same time. The charisma is a real skill

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that was a fun run but i was not entirely sold on the game until CRUSTACEAN DAMNATION, now i need to play it

I never quite knew where to fall on the Yakuza games but the general consensus seems "they own a whole lot"

Side Bar, can anyone find a link to the Tal Tal Heights remix they are using? I did a quick look on OCRemix and couldn't find it but it might just be me being daft.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Is it this one? https://soundcloud.com/ocremix/07-tal-tal-future-blind

If you can't find a remix on standard OCR, odds are it came from one of their multi-artist collab albums https://sirens.ocremix.org/

Yep that is it. bLind always makes a jam, thank you for the link!

Kestral posted:

Yeeeaaaah, unfortunately there's not really any evidence that this could be the case from an epidemiological perspective, but cultural norms might shift to that point by next year regardless of the state of the pandemic, so who knows.

Jedi Outcast is going to be completely, hilariously busted, isn't it?

CovertMuffin owns and is going to break this game in the best way possible.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

I mainly played multiplayer in JKA and tried to flipkick people into lava

JK2 and force choking people over ledges was my poo poo

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That was sick :stare:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone go by 'any/all' for pronouns.

It exudes a powerful aura.

Yeah its pretty rad.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

AH. RIP but I hope they're OK

Just "wasting" time until they hit 800k

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Holy cow the donations

Never underestimate the power of anime

which I a am totally including pokemon in that zone

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

Time to be ROLLIN' DEEP

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

spikevegeta fuckin owns

Always and forever. Dude is just a force of nature

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Spike is an amazing source of positive energy. Even in runs where he's been tired and frustrated (he and Iateyourpie raced Lifeline a few years back, it was a disaster), he still sounds happy.

When he came into the blindfolded run that the virtual couch was sick last year and just brought the energy, it was awesome.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I sucked at regular Super Metroid and the Impossible run was great but this just looks straight up torture. Glad Oats is such a good runner that I expect it’ll be a fun run overall

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

there's a joke about how SM64 should be a college course at this point but it may as well be with how thoroughly it's been stripped apart and analyzed

Professor Summoning Salt Presents: A Survey of SMB64

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

excuse me what

That was the hottest poo poo ive ever seen happen in a video game. It is wild to me how SMB64 absolutely nailed what movement should be in a 3d platformer.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Only 5K left, they gonnna do it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Threw the throw to get the incentive

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Oh my god the choke, would've been sub 1:40

He is already #4 in the boards, but this run would put him at #16 which is wild for a marathon

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Speedrunning is a bad community

What did cheese do because I really don't know

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Like others have said maybe one thing I don't necessarily like with the current GDQ is the heavy pushing of incentives - which have their goals pushed insanely high. A few runs last and this event have been soured pretty much by the host constantly going "please please donate". I think last time Coolmatty did touch on this on r/speedrun and basically said it's not the hosts' fault but management's bad call on push it too much. But on this event the same thing happened again and the limits were so high they actually had to stall and re-arrange runs.

So yeah I dunno if people who actually decide on these things read this or if they reflect on it the same way, but this is one thing that requires a very delicate balancing and I feel like a few times it's gone overboard.

e: looks like I was retroactively ninja'd

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/vq8u1q/does_anyone_happen_to_know_why_gdq_is_hosting_the/ieoep15/

I definitely understand the sentiment. I understand that at its core GDQ is there to raise money for their chosen charity, and they have raised a ton of it. I also can understand that people might feel burnt out at hearing "donate donate donate" all the time, especially when it is something silly like "just a bit more to go, donate to fill in that last $30,000" at almost every run. I do hope they reflect on how best to push for incentives and how to price them. I didn't get to watch a ton of GDQ this time around and will be watching VODs, but the schedule creep sounded pretty wild this year. This isn't to say I am boycotting GDQ, but it is good for them to reflect to see what went poorly and what could be done better.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I watched the Super Mario World race yesterday and it was awesome. Was really bummed that Poo couldn't run... I think it was Luminescent or the Celeste SMW ROM hack.

I then watch the Zelda Ocarina of Time TAS and I honestly have no idea what in the world happened. So, from my understanding, the cart was a standard retail cart and they exploited some glitches to show off some beta content and then reprogrammed it to get a triforce and show off some BOTW ending that hooked into Twitch chat?. Either way, arbitrary code execution is a wild thing and as broken as OOT is, it doesn't surprise me that eventually it got cracked like an egg to that degree.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Beasteh posted:

And the way that they couched it in 'this is being ran on a stock unmodified OOT cart on a stock unmodified N64' was super disingenuous and misleading! They could have straight up said at the start of the run that they found kokiri boy, butterfly and a different name for odd potion and ran with it to make a goofy fanfic about getting the triforce, and learning the full song of time from Nabooru/beating the running guy, but instead they blurred the line between what was actually beta content and what they made up and on top of that the sheikh going 'o-of c c ourse I'm a boy!' line was frankly gross and weird

Yes the run was absurdly technically impressive but I and I am sure a lot of people came away from that feeling duped

So, I feel a bit daft, which parts were from actual uncovered beta assets?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

broken pixel posted:

Having consumed a frankly unreasonable amount of alpha/beta OoT content in my life, the only thing I didn’t see a clear explanation for post-stream was the mask abilities. I think they said that they found data indicating there was prototyping for MM-style masks in OoT, but https://gettriforce.link doesn’t mention the masks at all. It might be an invention for the convenience of the script they wrote, but I’m curious nevertheless.

I really enjoyed it! It was fanfic-y, but it implemented a lot of things I recognized and have speculated about myself. That being said, I doubt that most viewers had enough context to separate the two. I think starting with an explanation that there’s a blend of real elements (which will be pointed out), theoretical elements, and fictional/flavor would have been helpful.

Thant link had a lot of really cool info. All the TAS blocks have been super impressive but just straight reprogramming a game and essentially creating a ROMhack on the fly is wild.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

ACE is an especially nightmarish thing to try to explain to a layperson watching, since it has to assume you already know what memory is and how data is actualized as bits for "we press the d-pad really fast on four controllers and BotW link appears to say arigato" to make any kind of sense

I think with the OOT run, it was more there was a fuzzy line during the run of what was on cart and what was being injected. Even if it was 100% injected, it was impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kikas posted:

"I need quiet time for this" has made a whole loop and is now back to being a geniuine request, I love this.

Props to Oats for only specifically asking for quiet time once or twice during Kaizo Metroid, which I finished up this morning. I know the ROM hacking scene for Mario games has such a wide range of difficulty, from Little Timmy to Barb/Panga. It just seems like any time I hear of a Super Metroid ROM hack, the creator hates the player and it is assumed that you are a robot in order to complete it.