Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

I kinda worry he'd explain a lot of the songs to you while they were playing. Like Patrick Bateman and Huey Lewis and the News without the ax murder at the end.

Don't get him started on Kenickie, whatever you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I kinda worry he'd explain a lot of the songs to you while they were playing. Like Patrick Bateman and Huey Lewis and the News without the ax murder at the end.

Yeah, I think you have a point there

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If you ask him Holy Bible US mix vs Original Mix you might become Gillen's new best friend.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Madkal posted:

If you ask him Holy Bible US mix vs Original Mix you might become Gillen's new best friend.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The Epic Collection is available: New Republic Vol. 5.

Really wish they'd do one of those for Tales of The Jedi, the old Dark Horse collections are stupid expensive

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish they'd do one of those for Tales of The Jedi, the old Dark Horse collections are stupid expensive

Two released, apparently one more coming next year.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Two released, apparently one more coming next year.

Well that's news to me, looking it up it's interesting that they decided to fold in Dawn of The Jedi into the Tales of The Jedi banner even though there's a very huge gap in the timeline between them, though that sort of thing does have some precedence with the Infinities volume they did back in 2015 also including The Star Wars

Bit disappointing that volume 1 despite having only been published back in 2020 seems to already be out of print and has become ludicrously expensive already

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're still loving the original creators on the royalties right?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Bit disappointing that volume 1 despite having only been published back in 2020 seems to already be out of print and has become ludicrously expensive already

Despite Epics getting consistent reprints to keep them available, I can't remember seeing reprints of any of the Star Wars volumes. I have no idea what the reason might be.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rereading GMo's New X-Men run and I somehow forgot that they turned Magneto into a full blown Nazi. I now remember that there was some controversy over it but re-reading it now and it isn't even subtle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

huh, maybe there's still a chance for the next issue of Orc Stain

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1585009563316588544?s=20&t=r1Gdl54CIcylpxFjajPf-A

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Madkal posted:

Rereading GMo's New X-Men run and I somehow forgot that they turned Magneto into a full blown Nazi. I now remember that there was some controversy over it but re-reading it now and it isn't even subtle.

Magneto’s always teetered on being fash, it was only a matter of time before someone made him one outright

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Madkal posted:

I love Grant Morrison but they are just inept at writing Marvel stuff for the most part* and their X-Men run opened the gates for all the edgy nonsense Superhero comics have been flooded with for the past 20 years

*the exceptions being Marvel Boy and their work on the Marvel UK Zoids comics

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Don't get my hopes up like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

I love Grant Morrison but they are just inept at writing Marvel stuff for the most part* and their X-Men run opened the gates for all the edgy nonsense Superhero comics have been flooded with for the past 20 years

*the exceptions being Marvel Boy and their work on the Marvel UK Zoids comics

Much like quite a bit of their work I think they have great ideas and come up with great concepts that:

a. don't usually get fully realized
b. don't get picked up and expanded on by other writers

I do like the GMo presented mutants as their own culture and that as a society they were moving pass Xavier and Magneto, but the Magneto reveal just felt really forced and kind of didn't make much sense when you think about it. I remember when I first read the run I would excuse Magneto's actions to kick/sublime, but GMo was also presenting Magneto as a dog who caught the car and didn't know what to do with it. It became very muddled and they really didn't have a great handle on Magneto (I think they even acknowledged this in Supergods).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Madkal posted:

Much like quite a bit of their work I think they have great ideas and come up with great concepts that:

a. don't usually get fully realized
b. don't get picked up and expanded on by other writers

I do like the GMo presented mutants as their own culture and that as a society they were moving pass Xavier and Magneto, but the Magneto reveal just felt really forced and kind of didn't make much sense when you think about it. I remember when I first read the run I would excuse Magneto's actions to kick/sublime, but GMo was also presenting Magneto as a dog who caught the car and didn't know what to do with it. It became very muddled and they really didn't have a great handle on Magneto (I think they even acknowledged this in Supergods).

There's also a C) there that I hinted at with their works, that being "other people looking at Morrison's works and focusing on the wrong part of it", in the case of their X-Men run people focused on the large scale violence aspects

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They gave us Quentin Quire, Fantomex, and the Stepford Cuckoos. Probably three of the best mutants from the last twenty years that aren’t Laura Kinney.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Poor Beak. Was he in much after New X-Men?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

He popped up in an early arc of the first Krakoa era New Mutants comic

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just read Morrison's run in XMen and it was a great read. The characters never felt so real and complex and the dialogue was a whole nother level

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Madkal posted:

I remember him popping up in random stories, but usually as someone getting hurt when a villain attacks mutants.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Beak had a tenure in the Exiles for a while. Two separate versions of Hyperion thought he was the best hero among them.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Why is it that this forums mod isn't named the MODOK?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Beak and Angel Salvadore were the techies for America Chavez’s group in Vengeance. They were depowered at the time and looked human.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Open Marriage Night posted:

Beak and Angel Salvadore were the techies for America Chavez’s group in Vengeance. They were depowered at the time and looked human.

How does being depowered make him not have a bird face anymore? I get how a mutant like iceman whose power is the ability to do a thing could be depowered, but Beak was just bird shaped. If you could isolate the gene for being tall in a tall adult and take it out, it's not like they'd suddenly shrink to 5 foot 8. The gene already had the physiological effect

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

The gene already had the physiological effect

It's not just a gene, is an X-Gene!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Why is it that this forums mod isn't named the MODOK?

MODOP or MODOB, surely.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

How does being depowered make him not have a bird face anymore? I get how a mutant like iceman whose power is the ability to do a thing could be depowered, but Beak was just bird shaped. If you could isolate the gene for being tall in a tall adult and take it out, it's not like they'd suddenly shrink to 5 foot 8. The gene already had the physiological effect

unstable molecules

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gripweed posted:

IIRC when he first appeared depowered he was actually drawn as handsome too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC when he first appeared depowered he was actually drawn as handsome too.

iirc that was in the New Warriors book everyone wants to forget. his first actual appearance depowered was in a few panels of Exiles where he still looked gawky and with a huge nose

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gripweed posted:

A wizard did it, is the thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barry Convex posted:

iirc that was in the New Warriors book everyone wants to forget. his first actual appearance depowered was in a few panels of Exiles where he still looked gawky and with a huge nose

Lmao owned

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Comics own

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1586814820036513792?s=46&t=c6VxklHvlGNw546VsL_t4A

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

JLA: The Nail should've been this with Clark Kent in the role of the nail artist.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Why is "Geoff Johns" trending on Twitter with the context seeming like he's the second coming of EVS? What'd that dude do since I stopped paying attention?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kevin O'Neill has passed away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Kevin O'Neill has passed away.

well poo poo

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Post from a GBS thread:

Cassius Belli posted:

I'm trying to find a 90s (probably) era comic that I picked up in high school and never got to finish. I think I picked this up out of a bargain bin in 2000 or 2001 at the very latest and it was an old-ish comic then. It's probably bad, but it stirred up some curiosity for me and I've never quite been able to let go of the idea.

The comic opens with got a framing story of a bunch of stock fantasy adventurers sitting around in a tavern, swapping stories and drinks while they wait for everyone to arrive (including a mysterious contact, I think).

The first story (or at least the one I remember) is a story about an ancient hero who was enchanted with a magic crystal in his chest, to be the champion of some forgotten god. The crystal would turn into magical armor and a sword when it was needed, when the world was in crisis, and then when the danger was over the crystal would put the hero into suspended animation until he was needed again. This hero is not Crystar, despite every attempt at Googling "crystal armor hero" telling me otherwise.

After many such cycles, the hero asked the god for release, and the next time he was put into suspended animation, he was found and awakened by some pretty lady, fell in love, settled down, etc, until (I think) they grew old and died together. But the crystal remained, waiting for a new hero and the next time it would be needed.

The story itself was not super good, though it was told in this appealing fake-myth style, and I like the Scheherazade-style way it lays up the next story, with another member of the adventuring party showing up and saying, "Oh, are you telling that old story again? Let me share a new one for once..."; I just want to see where it went.

Anyone know it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Disney is dropping vaccine mandates on 12 usa tv productions. I'm sure other productions will follow.
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1589470195722092545?t=P9MNEeI-KJW10zAhiUCdIA&s=19
The consciences of those who were not going to see Black Panther 2 or Ant-man 3 due to Evangeline Lily and Letitia Wright are now in the clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Can we please stop losing great artists this year? Please? This time it's Carlos Pacheco.